Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

stillvisions posted:

Had a friend back into the day who was into it and transhumanism is an... interesting beast. Like, I get the ideal of "let's improve humanity at the physical being level" but it's a magnet for every pseudo-science huckster, "citizen scientist", and say-the-quiet-part-quiet eugenicists out there. Of course, they all say *they're* smart enough not to fall for the hucksters, it's just everyone else in the movement that is taken in...

...also, they never opt for "let's improve humanity with better access to clean drinking water", they always focus on "let's improve humanity starting with giving me superpowers".

Also, this friend was into this close to 20 years ago, I can only imagine the insanity that has developed in that circle since then.

A friend had a role in organizing some transhumanist conferences for a while, and was very interested in the movement. However, this friend was non-binary and quickly learned that the transhumanist movement is, paradoxically, extremely transphobic.

Hel posted:

Outside of tweeting dumb poo poo, what does Movie Bob even do? Is he one of those YouTuber video essayist or is he attached to any site? He was let go from the restarted Escapist right?

He's an occasional youtube video essayist. He has this "Really That Good" series that is all right, but it's also significantly more thorough and only gets released maybe once a year.

https://vimeo.com/167872868

But more often he's a reviewer/commentator. He had a twice-a-week commentary show on the rebooted Escapist plus a once-a-week review show, but was let go because he became too toxic on Twitter (and because his videos couldn't help but take swipes at various "inferiors"). Apparently he's continuing that on his youtube channel, supported by a slowly-but-steadily dwindling patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I was about to say that Movie Bob did some okay viddeos shooting fish in a barrel dunking on Cinema Sins but now I'm realising that Bob Vids is a different guy and I have done one of them a grave disservice by conflating them in my mind for so long.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I remember liking some of Moviebob's videos back in the day, but he got grating and then I learned more of his non movie opinions beyond the vague left leaning he motioned towards in his videos.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thetoughestbean posted:

MovieBob is astounding to me because he goes on these rants about how the brilliant people are being held back by the stupid masses and that he deserves future cities on Mars or whatever when he’s a man in his forties who reviews Marvel movies. How is he the one being held back? (That and all of his ideas of the ideal future society we should have come from schlocky sci-fi)

the dudes hosed in the head. he is still mad about high school for god's sake. he wants to be veiwed as this big super brain culture critic when pretty much everyone in that community loving dislikes him and or mocks him openly.

LanceHunter posted:

A friend had a role in organizing some transhumanist conferences for a while, and was very interested in the movement. However, this friend was non-binary and quickly learned that the transhumanist movement is, paradoxically, extremely transphobic.

yeah, i am sure its toxic as gently caress. like parts of it are cool, like being able to theoretically cure people with physical disabilities(if they want to be obviously) and elimnate various genetic problems in the womb and such. i don't believe in like ubermench poo poo, but if there was a way to cure a child of poo poo i have before they were born, that would be cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I remember liking some of Moviebob's videos back in the day, but he got grating and then I learned more of his non movie opinions beyond the vague left leaning he motioned towards in his videos.

i started leaning away when he talked about how the covenant was the good guys of halo because they were different aliens and humans were humans/spartans=nazis. i am still amused of his massive massive hatred of FPS games becaue "chud jocks only play them".

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
is moviebob another one of those people who went on to very early youtube and said "*ahem* the prequels are bad" and thereby amassed an enormous following

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn't that only work for a small cadre of hack frauds trapped in the frozen wastes of the Midwest.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bleck posted:

is moviebob another one of those people who went on to very early youtube and said "*ahem* the prequels are bad" and thereby amassed an enormous following
Sorry you might have him confused with someone else. He's one of the people who said "japanese games are always better than games made by other countries" with a sped up voice. He never made anything on the prequels.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

egg tats posted:

hi this is unrelated to our usual derails but I thought I'd ask: have any british youtubers put out a video explaining wtf is up with keir starmer? every time he talks I'm left wondering why this Tory backbencher has a name like a banned gi joe villain until I remember that he's leader of the fuckin Labour party.

he's out there praising bojos handling of the pandemic today when it has been just objectively terrible and, like, is he like a plant or something?

https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1404440902987300871?s=20

Worthikids started a new season of Big Top Burger the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdNFkKjvSLo

The new song is incredible.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mr Phillby posted:

I was about to say that Movie Bob did some okay viddeos shooting fish in a barrel dunking on Cinema Sins but now I'm realising that Bob Vids is a different guy and I have done one of them a grave disservice by conflating them in my mind for so long.

Too many bobs on the internet.

BobVids is good people last time I checked tho.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1404440902987300871?s=20

Worthikids started a new season of Big Top Burger the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdNFkKjvSLo

The new song is incredible.

Based on what he's said on Twitter, this is actually the lead in to a Zomburger series.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ariong posted:

Based on what he's said on Twitter, this is actually the lead in to a Zomburger series.

I think this is that, he was posting a pic of the Zomburger crew and "June" a few weeks back. The ep definitely focuses on them more than Big Top Burger.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i started leaning away when he talked about how the covenant was the good guys of halo because they were different aliens and humans were humans/spartans=nazis. i am still amused of his massive massive hatred of FPS games becaue "chud jocks only play them".

I mean if you look at the background lore in the novels, the UNSC are legitimately kind of authoritarian (and acknowledged as such), but I doubt Bob actually looked that deep.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean if you look at the background lore in the novels, the UNSC are legitimately kind of authoritarian (and acknowledged as such), but I doubt Bob actually looked that deep.

Yeah the UNSC and ONI get up to some straight up eugenicist science horror bullshit in the quest to create the ultimate transhuman exemplar with the Spartan program. Like kidnapping children in the middle of the night for their genetic alteration horror show program and replacing them with poorly constructed clones so their parents and siblings will they just randomly died of a brain aneurysm so they don't go asking any questions. You'd think that would be right up Movie "Sweet Jesus, I love eugenics" Bob's alley...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did someone say Halo??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah the UNSC and ONI get up to some straight up eugenicist science horror bullshit in the quest to create the ultimate transhuman exemplar with the Spartan program. Like kidnapping children in the middle of the night for their genetic alteration horror show program and replacing them with poorly constructed clones so their parents and siblings will they just randomly died of a brain aneurysm so they don't go asking any questions. You'd think that would be right up Movie "Sweet Jesus, I love eugenics" Bob's alley...

I wonder how much of that is Karen Traviss directly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The best part of this is how he's absolutely sincere that he drove himself mad by not having anyone else in his friends group to talk to about all the books. That Zoom call footage is really telling.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

wait Karen Traviss wrote Halo books? Republic Commando and Legacy of the Force's Karen Traviss???

drat I should get some Halo books on Audible...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I loved Brian David Gilbert's Robot Master video, but since he left Polygon, I kind of lost track of him. Did he do anything new in the meantime, or did he just fall off the back of the earth?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

I loved Brian David Gilbert's Robot Master video, but since he left Polygon, I kind of lost track of him. Did he do anything new in the meantime, or did he just fall off the back of the earth?

oh he's doing things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmzfOUOw08&t=1094s

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Dawgstar posted:

I mean a lot of it was there before she got there, but she specifically turned the one character who most regretted her role in the Spartan program and tried to make amends (Dr. Halsey) into the designated scapegoat who did it all for science that all the other characters (who in some cases got up to worse) could look down on as a villain.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

don't believe Brian David Gilbert's lies. he has three first names, you can't trust someone with three first names.
the suit totally jacks master chief off

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oh, thanks! Didn't realize he had his own channel. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Well the example I mentioned comes from the I Love Bees radio drama that serves as the prelude to Halo 2, which predates most of the Halo novels aside from Fall of Reach, The Flood and First Strike. One of the main characters, Kamal, discovers over the course of the story that his sister Yasmin, who he thought died as a child from a sudden degenerative illness, was actually kidnapped by ONI in the dead of night and replaced with a "flash clone" which was designed to exhibit zero neurological activity and then rapidly go into organ failure and die to create an alibi to keep families from asking too many questions. She was a part of the same Spartan II program that produced John-117 but "washed out" (ie: died) before graduating.

Another character in the radio drama discovers she's a Spartan I.1, the child of two Spartan I program graduates whose genetic alterations have passed on to her and made her one of the first generation of naturally born superhumans.

So this kind of poo poo is all over every aspect of Halo and has been there from the beginning.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean a lot of it was there before she got there, but she specifically turned the one character who most regretted her role in the Spartan program and tried to make amends (Dr. Halsey) into the designated scapegoat who did it all for science that all the other characters (who in some cases got up to worse) could look down on as a villain.

lol yeah, Halsey in Halo: Reach and Halsey in Halo 4 and 5 are like two completely different characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Very little, actually. Karen Traviss's novels focus on an ONI Black Ops team and one of the characters is a Spartan washout who got crippled by the augmentations and has a vendetta against the people who ran the child soldier program. Not to really defend Traviss's work because I find her novels in the franchise a bit naff but the whole sketchy ONI poo poo was started by Eric Nylund when Microsoft commissioned him to write the first few EU novels for Halo. The child soldiers thing is played completely straight for the first several novels.

A quick thing to note about the fascist background stuff for Halo is that it's not always clear what was Bungie's original intent for the games and what was the result of the Microsoft-mandated franchise tie ins. Microsoft basically forced Bungie's hand into giving them book rights for tie in material in exchange for helping Bungie finish Halo on time to be an Xbox launch title and a lot of the more overt faschy stuff doesn't come from the games, but instead the marketing material and books Bungie had no control over.

There's always been a hint of the police state of humanity in the Halo games, especially in ODST and Reach, but those two games were also made to satisfy Microsoft demand for two more Halo games before they would let Bungie loose from their contract, and they're coincidentally (or not) the two games that connect the most with the background information from the Halo novels.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 14, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Libluini posted:

Did he!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sorry you might have him confused with someone else. He's one of the people who said "japanese games are always better than games made by other countries" with a sped up voice. He never made anything on the prequels.

even that's being generous. He's just always been a massive nintendo fanboy specifically in the weird, genuinely emotionally dependent way

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD7X9SCn0To

Everyone stop what you are doing and watch this video.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Motto posted:

even that's being generous. He's just always been a massive nintendo fanboy specifically in the weird, genuinely emotionally dependent way
Oh that's the root of it, but his initial way of justifying this was claiming it was a result of Japanese culture being better at making video games.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Well the example I mentioned comes from the I Love Bees radio drama that serves as the prelude to Halo 2, which predates most of the Halo novels aside from Fall of Reach, The Flood and First Strike. One of the main characters, Kamal, discovers over the course of the story that his sister Yasmin, who he thought died as a child from a sudden degenerative illness, was actually kidnapped by ONI in the dead of night and replaced with a "flash clone" which was designed to exhibit zero neurological activity and then rapidly go into organ failure and die to create an alibi to keep families from asking too many questions. She was a part of the same Spartan II program that produced John-117 but "washed out" (ie: died) before graduating.

Another character in the radio drama discovers she's a Spartan I.1, the child of two Spartan I program graduates whose genetic alterations have passed on to her and made her one of the first generation of naturally born superhumans.

So this kind of poo poo is all over every aspect of Halo and has been there from the beginning.

lol yeah, Halsey in Halo: Reach and Halsey in Halo 4 and 5 are like two completely different characters.
Yeah, the 'kidnap children to make supersoldiers' lore goes all the way back to The Fall of Reach. It was there from the beginning, maybe even in Bungie's lore outline.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Very little, actually. Karen Traviss's novels focus on an ONI Black Ops team and one of the characters is a Spartan washout who got crippled by the augmentations and has a vendetta against the people who ran the child soldier program. Not to really defend Traviss's work because I find her novels in the franchise a bit naff but the whole sketchy ONI poo poo was started by Eric Nylund when Microsoft commissioned him to write the first few EU novels for Halo. The child soldiers thing is played completely straight for the first several novels.

A quick thing to note about the fascist background stuff for Halo is that it's not always clear what was Bungie's original intent for the games and what was the result of the Microsoft-mandated franchise tie ins. Microsoft basically forced Bungie's hand into giving them book rights for tie in material in exchange for helping Bungie finish Halo on time to be an Xbox launch title and a lot of the more overt faschy stuff doesn't come from the games, but instead the marketing material and books Bungie had no control over.
I mean, Halsey in the Nylund books repeatedly states that the Spartan-II programme was a terrible thing and that she regrets doing it, and ends up trying to get them out of harm's way. Traviss has the aforementioned 'washout' cheerfully working for the woman who runs ONI and not only signed off on the Spartan program under Halsey but also the Spartan-III program, which decided to take traumatised war orphans, give them cheaper augmentations and armour, and send them on suicide missions in the hundreds. But apparently that's OK in Traviss' book because they 'volunteered'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DelilahFlowers posted:

king poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, the 'kidnap children to make supersoldiers' lore goes all the way back to The Fall of Reach. It was there from the beginning, maybe even in Bungie's lore outline.

I mean, Halsey in the Nylund books repeatedly states that the Spartan-II programme was a terrible thing and that she regrets doing it, and ends up trying to get them out of harm's way. Traviss has the aforementioned 'washout' cheerfully working for the woman who runs ONI and not only signed off on the Spartan program under Halsey but also the Spartan-III program, which decided to take traumatised war orphans, give them cheaper augmentations and armour, and send them on suicide missions in the hundreds. But apparently that's OK in Traviss' book because they 'volunteered'.

Parangosky is a manipulative sociopath and more than willing to gaslight Serin Osman about Halsey while covering up her own complicity in the SII program. The stuff with the IIs is ethically sketchy as gently caress but the III program is downright bonkers and it's impressive how much of the franchise ignores the poo poo that happened to them. Like, Kurt downright lobotomizes the Gamma Company SIIIs with rage drugs because he's upset about the suicide missions that killed Alpha and Beta companies, and the worst that ever comes from this violation is that the Gammas need to constantly pop pills to not go insane. And none of this is ever met with a horrified reaction from anybody.

I like the Nylund novels but they are dead set on ends justify the means responses to stop genocidal aliens.

The Halo 4 and 5 opening CGI cutscenes do keep the amoral Halsey angle where she's unrepentant about the SII program but these are basically meaningless because neither of the cutscenes are related to basically anything in the franchise or even their respective games.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Terrible Opinions posted:

ah, this is somehow, even worse,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MovieBob defended Metroid Other M.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

...ew. If one was unsure his opinions could be safely ignored before...

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
James Somerton looks at Yuri On Ice and uses it as a springboard to look at topics of queer representation in media, authorial intent, audience expectations (and how it can differ in eastern vs western audiences), corporate meddling, and more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxRveV0x2-o

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

True but bob was extremely weirdly dumb about it and didn’t even reference that poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DelilahFlowers posted:

Crazy how he managed to stay "on brand" for a video that doesnt even mention Sonic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Hello yes, YouTube police?

I was recommended a ProJared video in the sidebar of the screen and I swear I've told YouTube I'm not interested in his channel a bunch of times by now.