Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Woebin posted:

🎶 Sexbro, sexbro, you're a sexbro
You can charge my crystal but it won't be no homo
Sexbro sexbro, you're my sexbro
And buddy you can turn me on 🎶

Hi! I'm from the International Union of Drawbridge Operators and we are looking for a new slogan ("It goes up... and down!", is getting a little stale). Can we use your jingle? It gets so lonely up in that box all day, waiting for someone to cruise through :( Please help. Something, anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Woebin posted:

🎶 Sexbro, sexbro, you're a sexbro
You can charge my crystal but it won't be no homo
Sexbro sexbro, you're my sexbro
And buddy you can turn me on 🎶

I want this as a ringtone.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Hi! I'm from the International Union of Drawbridge Operators and we are looking for a new slogan ("It goes up... and down!", is getting a little stale). Can we use your jingle? It gets so lonely up in that box all day, waiting for someone to cruise through :( Please help. Something, anything.
You really need something with a bit of a draw.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I want this as a ringtone.
Unfortunately there's no version of reality where I can mimic Tom Jones, otherwise I'd make a sincere attempt to record this for you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Woebin posted:

Unfortunately there's no version of reality where I can mimic Tom Jones, otherwise I'd make a sincere attempt to record this for you.

How about a languid, drippy, Lana del Rey-style version? Minus the racism and cop-shagging, of course.

e: I'm thinking Nouvelle Vague might absolutely kill this, come to think of it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.cameo.com/sirtom4u

put your money where this person who thinks they sound like tom jones' mouth is

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

https://www.cameo.com/sirtom4u

put your money where this person who thinks they sound like tom jones' mouth is
If someone's even considering spending money to make my dumb joke a reality you should at least get your money's worth. I'm not promising anything but I'll at least look at replacing the lyrics for the whole song in that case.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I don’t really want to sign up for one of those spammy ancestry sites to view the actual birth records but apparently there are people out there with the surname Goatse :v:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Doll House Ghost posted:

There's a place here that has an extremely funny name in Swedish:

It means "six bridges".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexhow

quote:

A legendary dragon that plagued the village is a folk tale known as The Worm of Sexhow. It was described as being a beast that would feed on dairy and breathe out fire to burn farmers crops. One day, a knight came into the village, slew the beast and rode out again. The beast's scaly skin was said to have been displayed inside nearby Hutton Rudby church.[7]

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Ah yes, that period in history when mythical creatures were named after items in 11-year-olds' search histories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How(e) is middle english for hill from old norse haugr (which I think also gives us "high") and sex is apparently derived from Sekk which is a name, so it's Sekk's Howe.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

old norse haugr (which I think also gives us "high")

they're cognates but I don't think 'high' directly derives from 'haug' (consider Dutch 'hoog' and German 'hoch')

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There used to be a Dr. Sexe at the hospital I work for. I don't know how it's pronounced, though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pope Hilarius II posted:

they're cognates but I don't think 'high' directly derives from 'haug' (consider Dutch 'hoog' and German 'hoch')

In swedish the word "hög" is used for pile/heap, small hill and high. So it might as well be the same word in some old vikingese dialects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The proto germanic I think is haugaz or something.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

In swedish the word "hög" is used for pile/heap, small hill and high. So it might as well be the same word in some old vikingese dialects.

Isn't "høy" in Norwegian (IIRC the pronunciation would be the same as you would write it "haug", at least in bokmål) also "tall"?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I just started a new job and one of my coworker's last names translates to "pineapple."

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Isn't "høy" in Norwegian (IIRC the pronunciation would be the same as you would write it "haug", at least in bokmål) also "tall"?

Yes, same as in swedish, hög can be tall and loud too.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I just started a new job and one of my coworker's last names translates to "pineapple."

Ananas?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’d have guessed Piña.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Piña.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Apologies for the double post, but I was putting my university's graduation announcements together and I am both sad and happy to say that one of the students has the first name of Semen.

Obviously, English is not this person's first language, but as the university is English-only... welp.

e: Oh, god, it's a Basque name and it SHOULD be spelled "Xemen" but of course they Spanified it.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jun 10, 2021

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Apologies for the double post, but I was putting my university's graduation announcements together and I am both sad and happy to say that one of the students has the first name of Semen.

Let's hope he graduates cum laude

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Obviously, English is not this person's first language, but as the university is English-only... welp.

e: Oh, god, it's a Basque name and it SHOULD be spelled "Xemen" but of course they Spanified it.

I was going to suggest that it was probably the Russian name Semyen, but... There are two names that commonly get transformed into the English word Semen ? What a time to be alive :allears:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Nothing good ever comes from giving in to the Castilians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHxhfUQTgE

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d8sOkMk850

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

I was going to suggest that it was probably the Russian name Semyen, but... There are two names that commonly get transformed into the English word Semen ? What a time to be alive :allears:

There's also 'Siemen' in Dutch (pronounced, yes, as 'semen'), a variant of 'Simon'.

And let's not forget former England goalie, David Seamen

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I just came across the surname Kneebone, which is not terrible.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Wheat Carr

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

New student name, which totally slaps: Arantzasu Gomez Gomez. (I changed the last names, but yes, both her family names are the same)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are you teaching in Bilbao or something?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Are you teaching in Bilbao or something?

Nope, Barcelona. But you're right; according to Google it's another Basque name, although she's not from Spain originally.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A friend of mine works for Health and Human Services, and one of the cases he was running today had a man named James who named both his son and daughter James. Because he wanted to make sure there were no mistakes, he dug a little deeper, and discovered that Daddy James's own father and brother are also both named James.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I printed some photos a few weeks ago for a woman named Coqui Stetson. They were graduation announcements for her daughter, Kiowa Stetson.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Laeticia Amihere.

I don't know, are you?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I printed some photos a few weeks ago for a woman named Coqui Stetson. They were graduation announcements for her daughter, Kiowa Stetson.

Nice username/post combo :v:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Arivia posted:

Laeticia Amihere.

I don't know, are you?

I might've mentioned this in the thread before, but one of the funeral homes in the area I grew up in was 'Amigone'.

When old man Amigone passed on, oh boy did the local news have a field day trying to do puns.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

I might've mentioned this in the thread before, but one of the funeral homes in the area I grew up in was 'Amigone'.

When old man Amigone passed on, oh boy did the local news have a field day trying to do puns.

What's up Buffaloooooo

Don't forget, it's also a Goo Goo Dolls song!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

Laeticia Amihere.

I don't know, are you?

That c spelling is kind of odd, but I've always liked Laetitia as a name. It's so stately and Latin, but still feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

That c spelling is kind of odd, but I've always liked Laetitia as a name. It's so stately and Latin, but still feminine.

It is a wonderful name, for sure. Plenty of 90s kids remembering Laetitia Casta fondly.