Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

drkeiscool posted:

Is the ratio of good to bad still 15/85?

15 seems kinda high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Violet_Sky posted:

Also did I get Mandela'd or was 2007 going to be the last E3?
Every E3 is going to be the last E3

Remember E4ALL?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

we havent had a good e3 since the shenmue/ff7 remake one

I liked the Keanu Reeves cameo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

New rule for next year. If you don't have a brand new game to show off, you don't get an invite to E3.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Watch nintendo have like 20-30 minutes on splatoon 3 tomorrow. lmao

this would rule though?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coinflip if the ESA exists this time next year lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mix. posted:

this would rule though?

not for me personally. But if you're into that, cool! I just think it would be boring to get an indepth demo of a game we already know how it will play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so this e3 has been absolutely dire for AAA games, and amazing for indie games. it's time for the "where the gently caress were they!" list, and as you can imagine, it ain't gonna be much on the indie side!!!

Ghostwire: Tokyo
Is this vaporware now? Maybe Bethesda was planning on doing a separate event for games like this, but not showcasing it at E3 surely spells a lack of confidence in the game at least

Forspoken
This one I can sort of understand because Square probably is saving some stuff for Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show. Actually... more on Gamescom in a bit.

Everything from Warner Bros (Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Hogwarts Legacy)
Not that I particularly care about the Arkham games, and gently caress JK Rowling, but why did WB focus on Back 4 Blood, a relatively small-potato multiplayer release, and not talk about these much larger budget games? Usually priority one for a problematic game is to hype the gently caress out of it so people go "who cares about the author, death of the author, don't hurt the devs, I want this game so much".

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
This one's not a surprise, the game is pretty much almost dead, most of the original people are gone and an Assassins Creed guy is heading it now

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
With Dotemu at E3 showing Metal Slug Tactics, I'm surprised this one did not also show up with a release date. It's still targeting this year and TMNT nerds are hungry for an authentic Turtles in Time style experience.

System Shock
Nightdive did not pop up anywhere, was surprised by that. Not just that they didn't have any retro releases to announce, but that they didn't have any new footage of the System Shock remake to show. This one is targeting this year, and boy does it make me nervous. I don't have much confidence in it being good, being honest.

Stray
Where was the cyberpunk cat game!!!! What the gently caress! Annapurna actually does have their own event later this summer, so I guess it'll be there.

The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
I kind of figured Crowscrowscrows would have a satirical trailer for E3, you know the kind they do!

UFO50
I need to give up this dream.

Supraland: Six Feet Under
The developer has two new Supraland games in the works, thought maybe we'd see one of them this week. But he publishes these himself I think, and it's probably less likely for single developers without a publisher to make it into one of these events.

Six Days in Fallujah
THE SNUB I AM GLAD IS A SNUB! I thought someone would be tonedeaf enough to show it.

----

Okay so, let's talk Gamescom for a sec. It's in August. Is it possible that momentum is shifting away from E3 and towards Gamescom? I believe it is actually being held live and in-person, with an actual stage show (hosted by Geoff Keighley because of course). Of course, there's also devs just not needing events like these anymore to promote their games. But between E3, Gamescom, and TGS, it's possible that E3 is becoming the odd man out and is being held up purely by tenure at this point.

OR

It's just being diluted so much between the three events that none end up having all the power and all end up kind of weak. There might be stuff only shown at Gamescom and stuff only shown at TGS, that if you had put them all together into one show, would've made for a more exciting week.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 15, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

so this e3 has been absolutely dire for AAA games, and amazing for indie games. it's time for the "where the gently caress were they!" list, and as you can imagine, it ain't gonna be much on the indie side!!!

Ghostwire: Tokyo
Is this vaporware now? Maybe Bethesda was planning on doing a separate event for games like this, but not showcasing it at E3 surely spells a lack of confidence in the game at least

Forspoken
This one I can sort of understand because Square probably is saving some stuff for Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show. Actually... more on Gamescom in a bit.

These you can at least explain as probably being saved for a Sony presser. No way in hell the Microsoft/Bethesda show is gonna showcase Bethesda's Playstation exclusive title, and Squeenix seems to be saving all their really high-ticket stuff for Sony

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ghostwire and Forspoken have PS5 exclusivity (or at least a window) and I can imagine Sony wanting them to do presentations where they can say "Play it on PS5"

And it should be clear by now that Square's E3 event was a dumping ground and/or "what the Westerners would like" so they are keeping all the big guns in reserve

E:f,b argh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

These you can at least explain as probably being saved for a Sony presser. No way in hell the Microsoft/Bethesda show is gonna showcase Bethesda's Playstation exclusive title, and Squeenix seems to be saving all their really high-ticket stuff for Sony
Yeah, it's probable. I would not put all the eggs in a State of Play basket though. I think Square is as likely to wait until TGS, and Sony's State of Plays have been known to be a bit.. what's the word, nearsighted? Sort of like, "we put 6 games in here, isn't that enough?" And one of them is, say, Crash Bandicoot 4 getting a PS5 patch. THAT TOTALLY COUNTS!!!

Other indie games that I'm surprised didn't show up: Outlast 3 (The Outlast Trials), House of the Dead Remake (Sega seems to have nothing to do with it), The Gunk, Graven, Goodbye Volcano High, Boomerang X, Aliens: Fireteam

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the sony exclusivity deal for ghostwire & deathloop very likely includes marketing rights, so sony gets to show them off at their own streams instead of anywhere else

i think current credible rumour is there will be a sony event "in the next few weeks" that will show off ff16, death stranding director's cut, almost certainly ghostwire & deathloop, possibly forspoken, and whatever sony published titles like horizon are on the way

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know if Back 4 Blood will do big numbers but given that there's like 200 major Left 4 Dead ripoffs getting made I wouldn't think WB considers it small potatoes. It's also a 2021 game where I don't think the others are out any time soon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't know if Back 4 Blood will do big numbers but given that there's like 200 major Left 4 Dead ripoffs getting made I wouldn't think WB considers it small potatoes. It's also a 2021 game where I don't think the others are out any time soon
A game coming out in 2022 didn't stop most of E3 though. felt like that was every AA & AAA trailer outside of Halo

2021 is pretty much BOTW2, Halo, Horizon, Far Cry 6, a couple of AA games like Psychonauts 2 and Back4Blood, and then a tidal wave of indie games

e: and those indie games are going to rule, don't get it twisted

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 15, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

A game coming out in 2022 didn't stop most of E3 though. felt like that was every AA & AAA trailer outside of Halo

2021 is pretty much BOTW2, Halo, Horizon, Far Cry 6, a couple of AA games like Psychonauts 2 and Back4Blood, and then a tidal wave of indie games

e: and those indie games are going to rule, don't get it twisted

Big laffs if you think BOTW 2 is coming out in 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ulio posted:

Imagine if Summergamefest didn't have Elden Ring lol, this would have gone down as the worst e3 in history. The chaos FF Origins has become a meme but atleast it made for fun banter.

you guys are loving insane, how the gently caress is this worse than the E3s that featured terrible Kinect games or the infamously bad Wii Music E3 which was the peak of "casual" games.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

you guys are loving insane, how the gently caress is this worse than the E3s that featured terrible Kinect games or the infamously bad Wii Music E3 which was the peak of "casual" games.

LMAO I cant wait until someone posts a nostalgic retrospective of Wii Music and the Gamers throw a fit

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

the motion era was pretty bad not gonna lie. But there was other good stuff in those E3s. Wii Music year which was 08 i think, was really bad though. Like front to back it was god awful

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the motion era was pretty bad not gonna lie. But there was other good stuff in those E3s. Wii Music year which was 08 i think, was really bad though. Like front to back it was god awful

I will acquiesce that the Konami E3 with One Million Troops was better than 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

LMAO I cant wait until someone posts a nostalgic retrospective of Wii Music and the Gamers throw a fit

The golden age of E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hisMQ-YRbfQ&t=1771s

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Those were at least funny

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I miss this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

Those were at least funny
should've watched the Indie Live stream where three people try to translate a japanese indie press conference in real time and read off a hundred game descriptions of games of EXTREMELY varying quality

and often read the wrong descriptions, or repeat one by mistake. and then sarcastically pretend they're really into mobile game #43

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also didn't realize what yuri meant

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The part where he sits down on the floor of the stage to "rap" with the kids especially owned

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Violet_Sky posted:

Big laffs if you think BOTW 2 is coming out in 2021
Considering they're reusing the same map and same engine from BotW 1, it's not unreasonable to expect it to launch by christmas? It's been two years since the trailer, after all.

...That said, yeah, covid likely pushed it to at least 2022.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Mostly this E3 preformed the admittedly gratifying role of telling me some games I've been waiting on are finally coming out here in a bit, but outside a few indie games it lacked anything NEW to get excited over.

Happens, some years.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

New rule for next year. If you don't have a brand new game to show off, you don't get an invite to E3.

My new rule for next year is that there's absolutely no need to watch the majority of this poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The 7th Guest posted:

Everything from Warner Bros (Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Hogwarts Legacy)
Not that I particularly care about the Arkham games, and gently caress JK Rowling, but why did WB focus on Back 4 Blood, a relatively small-potato multiplayer release, and not talk about these much larger budget games? Usually priority one for a problematic game is to hype the gently caress out of it so people go "who cares about the author, death of the author, don't hurt the devs, I want this game so much".

System Shock
Nightdive did not pop up anywhere, was surprised by that. Not just that they didn't have any retro releases to announce, but that they didn't have any new footage of the System Shock remake to show. This one is targeting this year, and boy does it make me nervous. I don't have much confidence in it being good, being honest.
Re: Warner Bros, I believe this is because of the sale of WarnerMedia to Discovery. Apparently at least some of the studios under the WB Games umbrella may now be under Discovery. So I think their very small presence at E3 this year is due to this internal stuff that is not resolved.

I have no idea what's going on with System Shock. That remake/reboot/whatever seems cursed. The last news on it was that Tencent was taking a more active role in development (whatever that means), but that story is from like August of last year. Nothing since then.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

Considering they're reusing the same map and same engine from BotW 1

that would be godawful if true

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

TheLoneStar posted:

E3 is practically an obligation for any game company, otherwise people flip their poo poo that [game] is totally vaporware now. And they still do that. As soon as January hits, everyone remembers that they need an E3 plan, and the dread sets in, even if you work somewhere with cool poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Capcom absolutely fell into that category of "this is a requirement" because they only just finished up with their two big games of 2021 while churning out updates for them and I'm pretty sure they needed another year before unveiling Dragon's Dogma 2 / RE "Outrage" / etc.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all I know is that there was a time when indie gaming was just braid, a kingdom of keflings, a penny arcade RPG, and me laughing at the zyborne clock

and now it's a neverending monsoon and it was 80% of E3 this year

and next year's gonna be even crazier with games like Silksong and UFO 50 and Deltarune episode 2 or w/e. i heard they're gonna launch jonathan blow out of a cannon and they won't really know where he'll land, but he'll scream about women the whole time

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The 7th Guest posted:

all I know is that there was a time when indie gaming was just braid, a kingdom of keflings, a penny arcade RPG, and me laughing at the zyborne clock

and next year's gonna be even crazier with games like Silksong and UFO 50 and Deltarune episode 2 or w/e. i heard they're gonna launch jonathan blow out of a cannon and they won't really know where he'll land, but he'll scream about women the whole time

that and also people trying to turn old flash games from New Grounds into stand alone titles.

Also, going back to old E3, if you didn't laugh hysterically at the Xbox guy asking the crowd "ever wondered what the bottom of an Avatar's shoe looked like" just to have it twist itself into some kind of unholy flesh pretzel, you don't have a soul.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The 7th Guest posted:

The most painful part is that it seems like half of the games are just complete clones of other indie games

I'm optimistic for Nintendo, they probably won't show anything world-shattering, and probably won't even have updates of Metroid, Zelda, or Splatoon but they'll probably at least have some games that I played on other consoles three years ago, finally on the switch (^:

Also prob another Smash character and there's a low chance it's going to be exciting to me either since almost all the heaviest hitters are either in the game already or will never be in the game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1404555832201723906

DLC Inc posted:

that would be godawful if true
I mean, there will certainly be new stuff, but it's still gonna be the same hyrule as before.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1404528952492843010?s=19
https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1404565758819061765?s=19

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm hoping Blow's new game is good but only because a good friend of mine was the art director on it, so I'm hoping for her sake.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Ok so there hasn't been a good Monkey Ball in 19 years, but surely THIS time they won't gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Procrastine posted:

Ok so there hasn't been a good Monkey Ball in 19 years, but surely THIS time they won't gently caress it up

hey it took like 15 years to get a good THPS game made again but it happened!
and then Activision folded the studio that made it into Blizzard and are basically lost forever