Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can't wait to buy all the dlc for this sucker. This big fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ulio posted:

From a interview with a Russian site, Poison swamp confirmed.

I will join the poison swamp Covenant and destroy anyone who even looks harshly at my precious crab-monsters, this I vow.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sure, but I'm expecting any sort of sekrio-like stealth takedown system though.
If anything those are basically just the backstabs from the Souls games. If Dark Souls had a sneak stance so you could sneak up on enemies without walking at 1 pixel per second, it would basically have a stealth takedown system as it is.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I feel like somebody in this thread just said that my all time most difficult fight in gaming, with Owl Father, was a glorified QTE?? Did that happen or did I whiff my own fart

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

glorified QTE bosses can still be hard, look at the end boss of Drakengard 3

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Isn’t Sekiro rhythm-based? That should make EVERY fight a QTE.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel like somebody in this thread just said that my all time most difficult fight in gaming, with Owl Father, was a glorified QTE?? Did that happen or did I whiff my own fart

sounds like you had a hard time with a QTE, it happens

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cavauro posted:

can't wait to buy all the dlc for this sucker. This big fucker
im still mad that sekiro didn't get any DLC, despite having a perfect excuse for it with the memory buddha

(even if they added a boss refight mode, that was nice of them)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

DrakePegasus posted:

Isn’t Sekiro rhythm-based? That should make EVERY fight a QTE.

There is absolutely a rhythm to it. And each major battle is figuring out the flow. Once i started playing sekiro like punch out, attack attack attack block block counter, i started doing a lot better.

And then that all fell apart so quickly at the last boss lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Owl has the lingering poison mechanic which makes you actually care about your footing and where on the battlefield you're standing, so yes, you're whiffing your own fart.

He's a good fight in a game that also contains, like, Corrupted Monk and Divine Dragon, though.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Life is a QTE when you think about it

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Any QTE is gonna be difficult if they don't provide button prompts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nor should you be! :hai:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Dumb question, I hate PC specs chat but given that they are both on the PS4 is it safe to assume that a PC that can run DS3 smoothly should also be able to run Elden Ring?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
we'll know once they release recommended specs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Item Getter posted:

Dumb question, I hate PC specs chat but given that they are both on the PS4 is it safe to assume that a PC that can run DS3 smoothly should also be able to run Elden Ring?

It is not safe to assume this. We know literally nothing about what kind of requirements Elden Ring will have. Even if they keep the same engine, there's no way of knowing if whatever engine tweaks they're making will result in major performance differences.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I raided in destiny 2 so much at one point the raids did sort of become a QTE though. Right down to when to pull the trigger with what gun.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Miyazaki says:

* So while you can just choose to go in head-on, we also have a number of [alternative] elements, such as being able to summon the spirits of deceased enemies and use them as allies in battles

* You probably won't find Mimics in that exact same form. It's a different world to Dark Souls, but we hope to give you surprises in some way, let's put it that way.

* So the Lands Between is made up mainly of these six large areas. It's divided into six major areas, and these are the domains of the major demigod characters

* There are also more resources to recover health on the way as you will be fighting for a longer time than before

* Yes, the stamina bar exists in Elden Ring, but we feel it has less influence on the player overall. We wanted to make it feel less restrictive and contribute to that level of freedom more so than our previous titles.

* We think it's a relatively simple implementation of stealth, but it has a wide variety of uses. And again, it contributes to this level of player freedom, we feel. So you're able to crouch, you're able to sneak and be less easily detected in long grass for instance. You're able to use that to your advantage to sneak up on the enemy, get a back stab, get a stealth attack. But you're also able to use it to bypass certain areas and to assess situations from afar. We wanted to create these opportunities for players to see what lies ahead of them and below them and around them and to assess how they're going to confront that, or not as the case may be

* Yes, there will be several endings in the game, depending on your decisions. The NPCs you meet will have a big impact on your worldview and reveal how they see the world themselves. And your path will be determined by what prompts you receive from them and how you behave with them. These characters are an extremely important part of the Elden Ring

* A horse, first of all, is needed to move freely and comfortably around the world: its "big jump" allows you to instantly climb huge rocks. You can also quickly cross dangerous terrain on it, and just ride.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Item Getter posted:

unless they seriously mess something up or your PC is like, the absolute minimum needed to run DS3 smoothly

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

huh posted:

Miyazaki says:

* So while you can just choose to go in head-on, we also have a number of [alternative] elements, such as being able to summon the spirits of deceased enemies and use them as allies in battles

* You probably won't find Mimics in that exact same form. It's a different world to Dark Souls, but we hope to give you surprises in some way, let's put it that way.

* So the Lands Between is made up mainly of these six large areas. It's divided into six major areas, and these are the domains of the major demigod characters

* There are also more resources to recover health on the way as you will be fighting for a longer time than before

* Yes, the stamina bar exists in Elden Ring, but we feel it has less influence on the player overall. We wanted to make it feel less restrictive and contribute to that level of freedom more so than our previous titles.

* We think it's a relatively simple implementation of stealth, but it has a wide variety of uses. And again, it contributes to this level of player freedom, we feel. So you're able to crouch, you're able to sneak and be less easily detected in long grass for instance. You're able to use that to your advantage to sneak up on the enemy, get a back stab, get a stealth attack. But you're also able to use it to bypass certain areas and to assess situations from afar. We wanted to create these opportunities for players to see what lies ahead of them and below them and around them and to assess how they're going to confront that, or not as the case may be

* Yes, there will be several endings in the game, depending on your decisions. The NPCs you meet will have a big impact on your worldview and reveal how they see the world themselves. And your path will be determined by what prompts you receive from them and how you behave with them. These characters are an extremely important part of the Elden Ring

* A horse, first of all, is needed to move freely and comfortably around the world: its "big jump" allows you to instantly climb huge rocks. You can also quickly cross dangerous terrain on it, and just ride.

Another tidbit I don't think I've seen anyone post about : Horse combat, as shown in the trailer, is possible but it's not the preferred mode of combat. Miyazaki says you'll almost always want to dismount when engaging an enemy for real, though there may still be some special encounters where horseback combat is the focus.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they should go ahead and put in a version of the executioner's chariot battle arena but it's mounted combat and you have to leap over more and more holes that open up while fighting or something. Don't know. Elden Ring

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lih posted:

unless they seriously mess something up or your PC is like, the absolute minimum needed to run DS3 smoothly

Didn't they really gently caress up release DS2? Like you needed to use optimizers that also potentially could get you multiplayer banned without appeal? Or was that the non-remastered ds1? I vaguely recall one having big problems like that on PC.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Groovelord Neato posted:

Which is good because "true" open worlds suck rear end.

truthbombs over here

Walrus Pete posted:

Sometimes video games are fun to play

the answer to "why" is fun

the answer to "fun" is come again?

Blind Rasputin posted:

You all were posting Sekiro gifs earlier but there is a specific gif passed around that seems like its from DS3 of some (humanoid) boss jumping forward with a sword on fire, just blasting swinging sword fire everywhere in slowmo. Thats the best I can do describing it. I haven't ever been able to figure out which game/boss its from but its absolutely beautiful stuff. Post it if you have it!

i got you brother, i usually post it when newbies are asking which souls game to play :getin:

https://gfycat.com/skinnykeenbream

Blind Rasputin posted:

playground-tier boasting itt

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Coolness Averted posted:

Didn't they really gently caress up release DS2? Like you needed to use optimizers that also potentially could get you multiplayer banned without appeal? Or was that the non-remastered ds1? I vaguely recall one having big problems like that on PC.

neither ds1 nor ds2 pc ports were very well done iirc?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The DS2 PC port was an enormous leap forward compared to the OG DS1 pc port. It's not even remotely close.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
og ds2 was bad but scholar of the first sin version was okay? I think?

this all happened before I had kids so is just kind of a fog in my memory

ds3 was perfectly fine and sekiro was great (port wise I mean) so I'm not too worried

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

i got you brother, i usually post it when newbies are asking which souls game to play :getin:

https://gfycat.com/skinnykeenbream

Yes!! Thank you. For some odd reason I’ve never been able to find that gif on my own and it rips so hard.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
DS2 PC was a very good port and ran extremely well for its time with a lot of mod capability.

Elden Ring itself sounds like it gets a lot of ideas from DS2, of which SOTFS was one of my favorite ever games so I am very much looking forward to this.

DS2 may have been the black sheep in the eyes of many, but for me it's one of the top tier souls games once it got fleshed out more. The build and gear variety is immense, and the multiplayer systems (small soapstone and regular soapstone needs to come back) is the best of the bunch with a decent and tangible reward structure (such as trading smooth stones for legitimately useful crafting items and equipment)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yes!! Thank you. For some odd reason I’ve never been able to find that gif on my own and it rips so hard.

It's the Ringed Knight Twin Ultra-Greatswords, pretty much the very last weapon you get from a regular enemy in DS3 Ringed City.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If elden ring is just all the best bits of every From game mashed up into a big old wide world of fun, then it is very possible that it could topple Portal 2 as my favourite game of all time. This is no joke.

Sekiro being 4th favourite and Bloodborne being 2nd favourite means this is entirely within the realms of may actually happen and I feel a sense of excitement about it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Martout posted:

og ds2 was bad but scholar of the first sin version was okay? I think?

this all happened before I had kids so is just kind of a fog in my memory

ds3 was perfectly fine and sekiro was great (port wise I mean) so I'm not too worried

the ds2 port was phenomenal, with only 1 glaring bug (weapons got damaged 2x as fast because the game ran at 60fps)

the ds3 port was dog poo poo at release, and ran like garbage while looking marginally better than ds2 and would literally hard crash my computer unless i turned off 1 specific option in the menu.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blaziken386 posted:

im still mad that sekiro didn't get any DLC, despite having a perfect excuse for it with the memory buddha

(even if they added a boss refight mode, that was nice of them)

I feel like there must have been plans for Sekiro DLC at one point that got cancelled. Why introduce a mechanic like that and only use it one (technically twice)?

Maybe they realised they needed all hands on deck for Elden Ring and scrapped everything else.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

stev posted:

I feel like there must have been plans for Sekiro DLC at one point that got cancelled. Why introduce a mechanic like that and only use it one (technically twice)?

Maybe they realised they needed all hands on deck for Elden Ring and scrapped everything else.

The decision to have DLC or not was almost certainly entirely Activision's to make. And I guess they decided not to, for whatever reason.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think someone said to me that Sekiro was not as well sold as the previous games. 5 million to DS3s 10 million. Activision being what they are they maybe thought it not worth it.

After seeing the ending I saw There is definitely room for more

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I think someone said to me that Sekiro was not as well sold as the previous games. 5 million to DS3s 10 million. Activision being what they are they maybe thought it not worth it.

After seeing the ending I saw There is definitely room for more

Sekiro was an unmitigated success, both critically and commercially, and Activision was very outspoken about how well it did. From games are quite niche on the whole, and DS3 is the only game they've made that's sold over 5 mil.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sekiro was an unmitigated success, both critically and commercially, and Activision was very outspoken about how well it did. From games are quite niche on the whole, and DS3 is the only game they've made that's sold over 5 mil.

Then I misheard and am completely wrong! :( I would love some Sekiro DLC. Every other DLC has been the best part of the games.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
More from reddit from some other interview:

Gameplay:

Jumping, riding horse
Summon spirits of fallen enemies as allies and tag along with them.
Stamina bar exists but with less influence
No resurrection, but other systems to keep you in the flow: Customize/craft "as you go", more healing options
Combine different skills (100 total) with different weapons, learn magic, more customization options.
Simple stealth implementation: crouch, hide in long grass, stealth attack
Online co-op

World structure:

Central hub that leads to 6 main areas in The Lands Between.
Each main area has a dungeon. Order to tackle them is up to the player, but there are some limitations. To help the player there is a mainline route to optionally follow.
Other catacombs, castles, and fortresses outside of the main dungeons are located in The Lands Between.
Fast travel for long distances.
Weapons/magic etc can be bought, but most are hidden in the open world.

Story:

Player is nameless blank slate, but other characters have a lot of color/ulterior motives/mystery.
Player is a tarnished: they have lost the grace (golden aura) of the Elden Ring / Erdtree and exiled from The Lands Between.
Once the Elden Ring is broken, the tarnished are called back to The Lands Between. This includes the player character, as well as other characters.
The main bosses of the game are the 6 demigods ("ancient gods"). They hold various shards of the Elden Ring, inherit different powers, and have become corrupted.
Ease of understanding balanced with a lot of depth for players to uncover.

What GRRM is credited with writing:

Foundation/mythos for the world.
The concept of the "tarnished".
Name of "The Lands Between".
The 6 demigods.

Miscellaneous:

Game development started with the world-building due to GRRM involvement, and after that game systems were developed (opposite to the usual Miyazaki style).
Mimics won't return in their DS form, but there will be surprises

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I will never summon a ghost Pokemon in this game because I am a true gamer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bonfire mimics would be brilliant. They always scared the bits out of me when I got shocked by the scholar in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

huh posted:

What GRRM is credited with writing:

Foundation/mythos for the world.
The concept of the "tarnished".
Name of "The Lands Between".
The 6 demigods.

Miscellaneous:

Game development started with the world-building due to GRRM involvement, and after that game systems were developed (opposite to the usual Miyazaki style).

It's worth noting that this is a non-exhaustive list of what GRRM is responsible for. Interviews from 2019 indicate that GRRM actually came up with a large world full of his own characters, with detailed bloodlines (of course), backstories, etc. From essentially picked six demigods from that backstory to be the focus of this game. I wouldn't be surprised if there's quite a bit more in the game referencing the backstory GRRM came up with.

Also, to be clear on that last point, the game was going to be open world from the start, even before GRRM got involved.