Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It's not necessarily 70% vaccinated to reach 'herd immunity.'

Its % vaccinated + % infected and recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
My city can: Mayor: Seattle 1st major city to fully vaccinate 70%

So does this mean I'm allowed to go to Hawaii?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gohuskies posted:

I thought I heard San Francisco hit it first?

Either way yes you can but you still need to get tested before you fly.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Page 69!

I went to Cancun after getting my vaccines so put me up against the wall too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I went to the bar last night and shot the poo poo with some strangers over some drinks. Watched the baseball game on the TV. It was nice.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Got Pfizer for my second shot, had AZ first. It was only an hour ago and I'm already starting to feel like crap. Maybe if I get really bad again by morning I can convince my husband to take a sick day and baby me, otherwise I'm going to be alone for like 10 hours. Last time I at least had someone in the house with me while I languished from fever and aches.

Speaking of, I once had a really brutal fever, completely woozy and unable to function. Didn't manage to take my temperature because I was in a total daze. A couple days later I felt pretty great comparatively but not 100% right, so I took my temp then and it was 102. I wish I knew how bad it actually got.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In CA at least a spouse can take a COVID sick day to take care of a spouse.

That should be a nation wide thing tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

I went to the bar last night and shot the poo poo with some strangers over some drinks. Watched the baseball game on the TV. It was nice.

The first time I went to the bar again was loving fantastic, I missed being able to shoot the poo poo with random people and have a beer while I read a book.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MarcusSA posted:

I thought I heard San Francisco hit it first?

Either way yes you can but you still need to get tested before you fly.

San Fran has more 1st shots done than Seattle, Seattle has more 2nd shots.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

I went grocery shopping on Friday and I'd say it was 60% masked, 40% unmasked. Most of the employees were, but definitely saw a few who weren't. This wouldn't bother me as much except you know 100% that at least a healthy portion of unmasked people are also unvaccinated.

I'd be more worried about the unhealthy portion. :dadjoke:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

Got Pfizer for my second shot, had AZ first. It was only an hour ago and I'm already starting to feel like crap. Maybe if I get really bad again by morning I can convince my husband to take a sick day and baby me, otherwise I'm going to be alone for like 10 hours. Last time I at least had someone in the house with me while I languished from fever and aches.

Speaking of, I once had a really brutal fever, completely woozy and unable to function. Didn't manage to take my temperature because I was in a total daze. A couple days later I felt pretty great comparatively but not 100% right, so I took my temp then and it was 102. I wish I knew how bad it actually got.

The time I hit 106 I felt surprisingly okay - I mean, I knew I had a fever, but I have felt way worse with lower temperatures. I went to the emergency room for that one, and they put me on a saline drip and covered me in damp towels and pointed fans at me to bring my body temperature down. It sucked. After a few hours my temperature came down and the ER doc said that he'd usually admit me for observation for a fever that high but I seemed pretty okay so he discharged me - for whatever reason I tolerated a dangerously high fever well, which has made me pay more attention and break out the thermometer more readily since then. I don't like the idea I could just feel a bit crappy while my brain cooks itself.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The time I hit 106 I felt surprisingly okay - I mean, I knew I had a fever, but I have felt way worse with lower temperatures. I went to the emergency room for that one, and they put me on a saline drip and covered me in damp towels and pointed fans at me to bring my body temperature down. It sucked. After a few hours my temperature came down and the ER doc said that he'd usually admit me for observation for a fever that high but I seemed pretty okay so he discharged me - for whatever reason I tolerated a dangerously high fever well, which has made me pay more attention and break out the thermometer more readily since then. I don't like the idea I could just feel a bit crappy while my brain cooks itself.

Interesting
do you think you tolerate heat overall well like a hot bath or a hot day or whatever

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
NY hit 70 percent with at least one dose, that’s pretty sweet. Pretty much all the restrictions are going away now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spinz posted:

Interesting
do you think you tolerate heat overall well like a hot bath or a hot day or whatever

I do generally tolerate heat well, and basically have an allergic reaction to cold. That probably played a role. I was also a self-avowed alcoholic at the time, so my system was operating from an alcohol-soaked baseline.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the three counties here in GA that I visit most frequently are still 30% and under for 1 shot and are considered at least medium risk :suicide:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
There's something peculiar about very high fevers. My one experience with a 106F fever was that I felt exhausted, but actually less terrible than when I'd been at 103-104, and actually thought I had passed the worst of it and was on the mend right up until an Urgent Care doc told me I needed to go to the ER right now. This lines up with a number of anecdotal accounts I've heard from people whose fevers hit those extreme marks: it's as if, once the fever gets high enough, it exceeds the body's threshold for processing how bad the fever is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The coronavirus fever was so loving weird for me. It hit super hard and fast but would be gone in the morning, only to ramp back up to 103.5 at like 10-11 am. I could tell where my fever was by symptoms, too.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
67% in Oregon for adults, I assume that's the first-dose number. I've been fully vaccinated for 9 days.
People are still doing a good job masking and being considerate most of the time in my area. Not sure about the red counties. I heard Lakeview is a shitshow but who wants to go there anyway?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How could lakeview be a shitshow? Aren't there like 20 people and one surprisingly good mexican restaurant there?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
There's a TV/radio news/sports/talk group around me that all broadcast from the same studios and share facilities, on the way home the drive time sports guy opened the show saying he was going solo, and might sound a little rough, because his co-host was sick, his backup co-host was sick, and his backup to the backup co-host was sick. He'd have asked the guy from the news station to co-host, but they were sick as well. He was feeling good enough to do the show tonight, "but we might have someone else here tomorrow night."

According to him, everyone seems to have a "pretty strong cold that's going around." In Florida, in June, just after the the CDC said "no masks we good."

makes u wonder

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scarodactyl posted:

How could lakeview be a shitshow? Aren't there like 20 people and one surprisingly good mexican restaurant there?

It's the central metro area for a big swath of Eastern Oregon, so of course it is terrible.

I remember they had ancient moccasins and a Safeway, and we stocked up on beer there before going to a friend's cabin. Hart Mountain is cool, and a lot of the country around there is beautiful (the closed-loop lakes are cool), but the people are not.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Chief McHeath posted:

There's a TV/radio news/sports/talk group around me that all broadcast from the same studios and share facilities, on the way home the drive time sports guy opened the show saying he was going solo, and might sound a little rough, because his co-host was sick, his backup co-host was sick, and his backup to the backup co-host was sick. He'd have asked the guy from the news station to co-host, but they were sick as well. He was feeling good enough to do the show tonight, "but we might have someone else here tomorrow night."

According to him, everyone seems to have a "pretty strong cold that's going around." In Florida, in June, just after the the CDC said "no masks we good."

makes u wonder

Captain Trips

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The coronavirus fever was so loving weird for me. It hit super hard and fast but would be gone in the morning, only to ramp back up to 103.5 at like 10-11 am. I could tell where my fever was by symptoms, too.

I used to get really bad lung infections after catching colds, I'd be sick for weeks. They were always the same. Felt fine after sleep, then being active would utterly destroy me and I'd be so so so sick and fevery in the afternoons. Then the next morning I'd be like "maybe I'm finally getting better?" Lmao NOPE.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
This thread has made it 69 pages without getting gassed, Nice.
In respect to this achievement im not going to share my uneducated opinion on anything and just congratulate Seattle and any other cities that have been showing tremendous success with their vaccination numbers, Nice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohuskies posted:

It means you’re allowed to go to Seattle.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

MarcusSA posted:

Why would you do this?

Shut the gently caress up.

I went in because I had to. Calling in sick in America loving blows.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gohuskies posted:

Seattle isn't 70% fully vaxxed. The eligible portion of Seattle's population may be 70% fully vaxxed but kids under 12 are still completely unvaxxed. (Kids also have lungs)

quote:

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said Wednesday that 70% of city residents ages 12 and up have been fully vaccinated, which she said makes Seattle the first major U.S. city to hit the COVID-19 milestone.

Durkan’s office also said 78% of the Seattle population 12 and older has started the vaccination process.

“Seattle is America’s most vaccinated major city, and it would not have been possible without our residents’ commitment to protecting themselves, their loved ones, and our entire community,” Durkan said in a statement. “Now that we have reached community protection, we can lead the nation in safely reopening and recovering in earnest.”

She urged Seattleites to support local small businesses, help revive its arts and cultural scene, and enjoy the Seattle summer safely.

Now that Seattle has reached the 70% fully vaccinated goal, the city and its partners will start launching efforts to support Seattle’s reopening, Durkan said.

But that 70% goal was pretty much just an arbitrary number anyway since it's not possible to have population centres reach herd immunity if they're still open to all the under-vaxxed populations surrounding them. In any case the new variants probably pushed the requirement up to 80%.

I'm pretty sure that the 70% 12-and-up vaxxed yardstick for opening up was only ever just a carrot to entice vax hesitant people to bite the bullet and get the jab, it's actually a great way to shift the blame for the restrictions onto anti-vaxxers and get small business owners and everyone else invested in opening up to put all their energy towards shaming them instead of yelling at the city governors. 70% of ages 12+ is a great achievement and it'll push hospitalizations and deaths way down but covid will still be chugging merrily along and if you had kids under 12 you're pretty much poo poo out of luck, no one else cares any more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

I went in because I had to. Calling in sick in America loving blows.

So you don’t have sick time then?

I am also in America.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell, people are still being shot & killed over mask mandate arguments

https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1404552227038154756

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

loving hell, people are still being shot & killed over mask mandate arguments

https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1404552227038154756

Saw this earlier and it’s loving sickening.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Seattle isn't 70% fully vaxxed. The eligible portion of Seattle's population may be 70% fully vaxxed but kids under 12 are still completely unvaxxed. (Kids also have lungs)

But that 70% goal was pretty much just an arbitrary number anyway since it's not possible to have population centres reach herd immunity if they're still open to all the under-vaxxed populations surrounding them. In any case the new variants probably pushed the requirement up to 80%.

I'm pretty sure that the 70% 12-and-up vaxxed yardstick for opening up was only ever just a carrot to entice vax hesitant people to bite the bullet and get the jab, it's actually a great way to shift the blame for the restrictions onto anti-vaxxers and get small business owners and everyone else invested in opening up to put all their energy towards shaming them instead of yelling at the city governors. 70% of ages 12+ is a great achievement and it'll push hospitalizations and deaths way down but covid will still be chugging merrily along and if you had kids under 12 you're pretty much poo poo out of luck, no one else cares any more.

Do you believe that I am safer or less safe than I was 6 months ago? I think I am safer but perhaps some people might think that my risk is still super high despite my own and my community's vaccination.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gohuskies posted:

Do you believe that I am safer or less safe than I was 6 months ago? I think I am safer but perhaps some people might think that my risk is still super high despite my own and my community's vaccination.

LOL that people's immediate reactions to that post of mine "Yes but I'm safe, so ....???"

You're almost certainly much safer than you were 6 months ago but there's still a significant percentage of the population who are still very susceptible

Edit: The CDC's current recommendation for covid-19 prevention strategies in K-12 schools puts the lowest threshold at 0-9 cases per 100,000 persons per week. My quick back of the envelope shows that Washington's per capita rate these last 7 days were 50 cases/100k which means they're still in the "substantial" transmission threshold, but only just.
Arizona's per capita rate these last 7 days were 40 cases/100k which would put them in the high end of the "moderate" threshold (which doesn't actually mean much, the requirement there is pretty much just that kids wear masks, stay 3' distance during class and 6' distance during sports)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/operation-strategy.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 15, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kestral posted:

There's something peculiar about very high fevers. My one experience with a 106F fever was that I felt exhausted, but actually less terrible than when I'd been at 103-104, and actually thought I had passed the worst of it and was on the mend right up until an Urgent Care doc told me I needed to go to the ER right now. This lines up with a number of anecdotal accounts I've heard from people whose fevers hit those extreme marks: it's as if, once the fever gets high enough, it exceeds the body's threshold for processing how bad the fever is.

With hypothermia you start feeling all warm and fuzzy right before things really fall apart. I think you're pretty much right, that you're so hosed up you can no longer tell how hosed up you are.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Canada doesn't have much to be proud of right now, but at least I won't get murdered in a store over a little piece of cloth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Picnic Princess posted:

Canada doesn't have much to be proud of right now, but at least I won't get murdered in a store over a little piece of cloth.

Oooh you just jinxed yourself

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Folks, you hate to see it.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1404664868087734273

https://twitter.com/jgcOCANADA/status/1404654705419169793

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Well, that sucks. It sounds like Colbert was reasonable, at least. Of the two, it's pretty clear Colbert is the smarter one.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oooh you just jinxed yourself

Probably. I am in Alberta.

My immune system is ridiculous and just freaks out when I get shots. I'm now a number of hours into my Pfizer shot and it's like it took my regular pain levels and amplified them. Chronic pain places have gone up a ton, and everywhere that doesn't normally hurt now does. I've been woozy and dizzy all evening, my brain feels like Jello. Hard to move. I'm just starting to feel feverish now. I can't math. I got it at 4:30pm and its now 1 am. Whatever that is. The arm soreness is much worse with this one than AZ, but it might just be my stupid body overreacting to that too just like it does to loving everything.

Maybe since it started sooner than AZ, it will be over sooner too. Here's hoping I guess.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
meanwhile, also in Alberta, I got my second jab yesterday at 3:30, and, just like my first time, I have zero symptoms thus far, aside from some extremely mild soreness around the injection site.

good times, definitely not kind of concerned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah mine feels just like a tetanus shot. And it's pissing me off. I'm proud of how tough I normally am but vaccines absolutely kick my rear end