Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

'13 with an FB25 in Colorado. It was 90°F here today, but low humidity and elevation make it extremely tolerable outside of direct sunlight.

Oh yeah, FB25 has a legit serp belt and you can't even get a shorter one to bypass the AC compressor due to the layout as far as I can tell. You'd need something like a replacement pulley which may or may not exist. Easier to just keep a compressor with a working clutch bearing on it even if the rest of the system is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My HCH1 was like that, no easy way to bypass. When the clutch bearing seized, I just drug it to trade on a Kia Soul at a dealership that had $4000 any car trade in and was done with it. The battery pack was toast, CVT needed run through, it was thoroughly shot overall.

I'm very much like that brick in a washing machine video, but to cars, so bypasses and cheap fixes have always been a crutch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970674

I just put it back up.

The quick recharge kits, if they don't have leak stop, aren't the wrong thing to put in.....but without a high side gauge you just don't know whether you SHOULD be doing this or not. And if you shouldn't be you're going to cause a lot more damage.

There's really not much of an excuse when you can buy a proper set of manifold gauges and a couple cans of refrigerant for what it costs to have a shop do it. And now you have a set of manifold gauges for every other time you need to figure out what's up and/or recharge.

No, they're not gonna be pro grade gauges, but event he harbor freight ones work well enough and will last if you store them properlay and keep them clean (pro stuff has much better hoses that won't get eaten as quickly, gauge faces that won't turn white when left in the sun, etc).

...totally out of left field, in case anyone was planning on taking Motronic's advice, Harbor Freight has a coupon for 20% off right now, and their manifold gauge set isn't excluded.

https://www.harborfreight.com/online-promo-2021.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134a-manifold-gauge-set-60806.html

Expires tomorrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FYI, hoses on that kit are a bit stiff and don't stand up very well - nor do the gauge faces- but if you keep them clean and put them away in the case they do fine. It's a perfectly good home gamer set. Just typical cheap plastics that don't do well with solvents or constant UV exposure.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've had the HF gauges for like 5-6 years, and usually get them out at least 3-4 times a summer when someone hears that I fix AC. Normally they hang on a hook by the bench until Oct, then they get put away in the case until the next season. No complaints, they hold up fine. I just wipe the hoses down after every use and make sure not to kink them.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here gotten a CVT tuned? I got a 2017 Outback 3.6r, and i’m definitely interested in anything I can do to make it zippier

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone have recommendations for front brakes for a GF (1st-gen wagon, 99 specifically)? I'm thinking something slightly over stock performance but still good for road driving where you aren't heating them up to track pad temperatures, and slotted rotors. It's a daily driver but I drive somewhat enthusiastically up here because it's a lot of curvy highways with good speed limits. I was looking at the Stoptech with either street or sport pads, but I figure there's plenty of people here who had/have early Imprezas. Looks like they might be the same as early Legacies too. I'm not wanting to upsize the brakes because I'm happy with the 15" wheels, especially on the back roads that never get maintained that are 50% potholes, the extra sidewall and steel wheels is likely to last a lot better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Do your front calipers have 1 piston or two? 1pots are probably 260mm rotors, you can go to the 276mm 2 pots that are on basically every Subaru and their they'll fit under the wheels.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think 1 pot but I haven't taken the pads off in months since I had to replace a wheel stud after some rear end in a top hat at my last apartment complex decided to loosen my lug nuts (only explanation I can think of why they would come loose after being on there for months) so I'm not 100% sure. So just moderately-priced rotors and pads with 2-pot calipers would be a decent upgrade? Makes sense.

Fresh fluid will probably also make a lot of difference, I'm terrible about changing mine, this stuff is probably 5-6 years old at this point.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 22, 2021

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
When I bought my Crosstrek a couple of months ago, they quoted me something like $560 to put a trailer hitch on it. That seemed expensive to me, and the salesman mumbled something about having to drop the bumper off, presumably hiking the price. I now want to get a hitch so I can put my bike rack on the car for summer riding, and maybe even start using my utility trailer. Is there a reason to use the dealership instead of taking the car to UHaul or somewhere for a generic hitch? I read something about Subaru using smaller than normal hitch receivers - is this a thing? I'd prefer not to have to replace my bike rack and/or get rid of my old hitch ball. Also, are there any warranty considerations with this?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

U-Haul hitches are fine (it's the people at U-Haul you need to worry about....)

FWIW, I've had two cars with U-Haul hitches, both were installed fine. There's nothing special about Subaru when it comes to a trailer hitch, except you can't tow anything super heavy with the CVT. Just don't let U-Haul touch the wiring (Subaru used to include a trailer light plug in the spare tire well; not sure if they still do), and make drat sure you stay within the stated weight limits for towing. If the transmission goes out, they're going to claim it was from towing no matter who installed the receiver, so it'd be wise to take pictures of anything you pull with that receiver (and keep them until the transmission warranty runs out).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peristalsis posted:

When I bought my Crosstrek a couple of months ago, they quoted me something like $560 to put a trailer hitch on it. That seemed expensive to me, and the salesman mumbled something about having to drop the bumper off, presumably hiking the price. I now want to get a hitch so I can put my bike rack on the car for summer riding, and maybe even start using my utility trailer. Is there a reason to use the dealership instead of taking the car to UHaul or somewhere for a generic hitch? I read something about Subaru using smaller than normal hitch receivers - is this a thing? I'd prefer not to have to replace my bike rack and/or get rid of my old hitch ball. Also, are there any warranty considerations with this?

I've also been wanting to install a trailer hitch on my Crosstrek, and found this guy's channel yesterday while looking up something unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWE3mgoPsU

The price point of ~$350 for the Subaru hitch alone has been putting me off of it, but that's hitches seem to run about half that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I put a 2" hitch on my Crosstrek for a bike rack (I hate the trunk ones with straps). It was a hitch from Curt, took maybe an hour to install. I also got one of those little cargo platform things but I haven't used it

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

So while I'm looking for an engine builder in Tampa to build a replacement engine for the old Spec.B, I bought a '21 STI to putz around in. Seems like a good car so far.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

STR posted:

U-Haul hitches are fine (it's the people at U-Haul you need to worry about....)

FWIW, I've had two cars with U-Haul hitches, both were installed fine. There's nothing special about Subaru when it comes to a trailer hitch, except you can't tow anything super heavy with the CVT. Just don't let U-Haul touch the wiring (Subaru used to include a trailer light plug in the spare tire well; not sure if they still do), and make drat sure you stay within the stated weight limits for towing. If the transmission goes out, they're going to claim it was from towing no matter who installed the receiver, so it'd be wise to take pictures of anything you pull with that receiver (and keep them until the transmission warranty runs out).

Thanks. If U-Haul doesn't touch the wiring, how do I get wiring set up?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If your Crosstrek is like my wife's, check in/under/around the spare tire. There's a trailer light harness buried down there that you can either stick out the bottom of the hatch, or there might even be a passthrough grommet for it in the trunk pan. It's been a while since I've looked back there, tbh.

Edit: went and refreshed my memory. The trailer harness on hers is strapped to the hitch, comes out of the bottom of the spare tire well. It's got this module that plugs into a harness at the back of the spare tire compartment. I presume it's a factory option, because it's the factory hitch that replaced the rear crash bar.

I also discovered that her spare tire is almost flat, so yay.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 25, 2021

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Also, if adding the hitch is anything like the Outback, it does indeed involve removing the entire rear bumper. And the/both muffler(s). And literally taping a janky template to your bumper and cutting out a hole for it.

Still worth it to install it myself though! I wouldn't trust a single mechanic to actually do the cutout of the bumper properly. I'm not a fan of how the Curt/U-Haul hitches sit under the bumper, but I get why other people would dislike the cutout just as much.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Putting a Curt hitch receiver on a 2019 crosstrek takes about all of an hour and does not require you to do anything to the bumper. You need to file out 2 holes, hit them with a paint pen and then drop the exhaust off it’s hangers for a lil bit but that’s all. Super easy to DIY, I did it so I could put a hitch bike rack on.

https://youtu.be/kbVDZgoab9M this is what I followed

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

luminalflux posted:

Putting a Curt hitch receiver on a 2019 crosstrek takes about all of an hour and does not require you to do anything to the bumper. You need to file out 2 holes, hit them with a paint pen and then drop the exhaust off it’s hangers for a lil bit but that’s all. Super easy to DIY, I did it so I could put a hitch bike rack on.

https://youtu.be/kbVDZgoab9M this is what I followed

I didn't even drop the exhaust when I did it, but yea really easy

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This conversation finally convinced me to buy a hitch for my 07 WRX. So to all of you, thank you, and drat you. Should've done it before I used a trunk bike rack and scuffed my trunk up.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Majere posted:

So while I'm looking for an engine builder in Tampa to build a replacement engine for the old Spec.B, I bought a '21 STI to putz around in. Seems like a good car so far.

Interested in that if it becomes a burden it'll fit nicely along the ole 05 sti who also needs an engine. Pretty sure it's like the last stock 05 sti on the planet

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

large hands posted:

Weirdly, I couldn't start my '20 WRX this morning, sounded like low battery, but nothing was left on/ajar. Then I looked into it and noticed there's currently a lawsuit in the works regarding battery drain in a bunch of late model vehicles, including yours and mine i believe. Something about the various systems not going into sleep mode when the car is off and locked and killing batteries at a rapid rate.

Yea man, cars suck. The batteries are probably fine. But in newer vehicles theres so much more systems and eletronics that need powered up and if the voltage is off a bit then the car will not crank over at all, even with a "good" battery. This is not a Subaru plague per sey, it's just modern cars suck just as bad and use old or same technology on updated platforms.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Munkeylord posted:

Yea man, cars suck. The batteries are probably fine. But in newer vehicles theres so much more systems and eletronics that need powered up and if the voltage is off a bit then the car will not crank over at all, even with a "good" battery. This is not a Subaru plague per sey, it's just modern cars suck just as bad and use old or same technology on updated platforms.

Maybe, maybe not. There have been some bad batteries out there lately too

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 27, 2021

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

It's been a bad luck couple of days for Subarus in my home. My 17 Legacy with 48k miles AC condenser stopped working during a 3 hour drive in 95° and I'm in the PNW heatwave right now. Dealership hasn't found any warranty stuff for it so that's not going to be fun to replace. I then borrowed my mother's 16 Forester with 70k miles and was cleaning the interior of the windshield when the top left corner of it popped up from the frame. It looks like it's not been attached on that side for I don't know how long and I'm not sure what to do to get it fixed, too.

Quite frustrating after going to 320k on my 02 Outback Sedan without many issues other than the usual wear and tear (until I stupidly left the radiator cap off after servicing and I overheated the engine...).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

AzureSkys posted:

Dealership hasn't found any warranty stuff for it so that's not going to be fun to replace.

Really? My A/C went on my '17 Forester a few years back and while it was still under warranty the repair was a little delayed because there was an active recall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AzureSkys posted:

the interior of the windshield when the top left corner of it popped up from the frame. It looks like it's not been attached on that side for I don't know how long and I'm not sure what to do to get it fixed, too.

The glass shop I use insists on pulling the entire windshield because there's no real way to guarantee a good seal otherwise. This almost definitely means a full windshield replacement.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh my wife's windshield sealant is melting put here in LV, sometimes when I clean the car, it smears onto the paint and I have to wipe it off.

It's a replacement windshield from a couple years back what do?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Do your states mandate free windshield replacement with your insurance? I know in Florida you are allowed 1 free windshield a year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cross-posting with my project thread, anyone have experience with Kein engine mounts? I've got the SVX reliable enough to drive long distances (about 450 miles yesterday) which is a massive win but I noticed a bit of rocking briefly when I first hit the throttle after coasting. I'm thinking I'll take a video of the engine bay when I pull the throttle cable, see if it seems like an engine mount is worn. Kein makes upgraded mounts and torque struts, the former of which aren't available from Subaru anymore as far as I can tell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
2010 OB with 3.6R and automatic.

Should I worry about this? I just noticed there's nothing there and it's hard to make out the diagrams online.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a '13 3.6R, I can take a look later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Should I worry about this? I just noticed there's nothing there and it's hard to make out the diagrams online.

That looks like something that should be attached to a DPFE on a ford mod motor of that era.

e: lol wrong thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wrar posted:

I have a '13 3.6R, I can take a look later.

Any difference? It looks like it comes off my radiator.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wasabi the J posted:

It does absolutly nothing as far as I saw on some 3.0r cars - I think it's a breather

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Wasabi the J posted:

Any difference? It looks like it comes off my radiator.

Mine are identical. If I had to guess, it's some kind of transmission or differential breather.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Anyone have recommendations for a battery for a 2016 Legacy 2.5L?

I know I'm jinxing it, but I'm still on my stock battery (and it's still testing well) and I want to replace it before my luck runs out. I'm looking at the usual suspects, but I'm not past spending extra for an AGM battery (just not Optima as I've heard their quality's gone to poo poo).

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a battery for a 2016 Legacy 2.5L?

I know I'm jinxing it, but I'm still on my stock battery (and it's still testing well) and I want to replace it before my luck runs out. I'm looking at the usual suspects, but I'm not past spending extra for an AGM battery (just not Optima as I've heard their quality's gone to poo poo).

Anything with a go handle and posts on the right sides is fine.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

What's the best way to add an oil pressure gauge? I have one of those p3 vent gauges that accepts a couple of analog 0-5v signals.

Do those adapters you sandwich between the oil filter work ok? I've heard there are different galley plugs to use but most sensors don't fit without moving other junk around.

In other words what sensor do I need?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Here's a video where he tests a bunch of batteries, I can't watch it this second for the tldw and don't remember the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Here's a video where he tests a bunch of batteries, I can't watch it this second for the tldw and don't remember the results.

tl;dw is a Walmart/Costco batter is actually fine.