Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Stevie Lee posted:

Tobias and Ben need to step the gently caress up

benjamin has always shrunk or become useless in close playoff series, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

guess we're getting a bucks-suns final

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ahh there is sixers death

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

triple sulk posted:

guess we're getting a bucks-suns final

clippers are still mostly healthy too

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
embiid is a bum

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

embiid is a bum

he is tonight

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
i think philly still gets the series, but im glad atlanta is making it interesting

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

if donovan mitchell is healthy jazz are winning the championship. if kyrie/harden are healthy nets win the championship. if none of the three are healthy then who the hell knows

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

if donovan mitchell is healthy jazz are winning the championship. if kyrie/harden are healthy nets win the championship. if none of the three are healthy then who the hell knows

kawhi is going to put the city of los angeles on his back and carry it to the title kicking and screaming

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So sad

:(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
looks like jazz are loving off again

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

he is tonight

always

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don’t like Embiid it’s unfortunate I’m forced to root for him as a fan of the Seventy Sixers

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Does Green still do that thing where he kicks people in the dick instead of defending?

Are advanced dick kicking stats considered when awarding the DPOY

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

indigi posted:

I don’t like Embiid it’s unfortunate I’m forced to root for him as a fan of the Seventy Sixers

He's the reason I can't go for them

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

1. blocks and steals
2. defensive plus-minus
3. many such cases

you rant and rave about imaginary people playing fantasy basketball even though it's like the least popular fantasy sport. also nba.com lists the top players in terms of fantasy points and nikola vucevic is #5 and domantas sabonis is #9 in 2021 but i don't hear anyone sing their praises

also if jokic was so bad on d then ayton should have done a lot more than he did. he was way more effective against the lakers. as it stands i think jokic is maybe average on d

Jokic is a weird but effective defender, probably average or slightly above average overall though because of some obvious holes in his game (can't jump very well, doesn't set his hips well for good pivots to help). He is effective because he's got very good hands which he - now famously - uses to slap at the ball. He's beefy and holds position well so his man can't power through him, and the active hands prevent fancy post moves. However, he doesn't really jump or hard contest shots. He's also limited to mostly defending 5s and slower 4s.

He's never going to get an all-defense team vote, nor will he be the anchor of an elite defense. He's basically the polar opposite of Gobert in that you can plug him in to make a great offense but he'll need the right pieces around him to make a good defense. Unfortunately those pieces are solid point-of-attack defenders, which Denver doesn't have at all. Their best player in that department is probably Facu.

euphronius posted:

lmao did you see Chris Paul’s numbers ? that was all jokic being horrible

I know its your gimmick, but there's 8 other players on the floor outside CP3+Jokic and neither of them would be able to defend the other effectively. In your basketball Theory of Everything, is a player's offensive output solely dependent on the defense of the other team's best player? Is Rudy Gobert a bad defender because his teams have been consistently roasted by Harden, CP3, Ja Morant, Steph Curry, Westbrook and Jamal Murray in the playoffs? Who is responsible for Devin Booker's shooting getting worse and Jae Crowder's getting better? Does the play of Austin Rivers, whose own father - a HOF coach - thinks he is bad at basketball, factor into the play of CP3?

I don't feel like this Great Man Theory of Basketball is very well thought out, unless there is only one MVP each year and they must be a member of the NBA Championship team. In which case, I'm going to ask that you seriously reconsider the contributions of Wardell Stephen Curry II, unanimous MVP of the league. Unlike Rudy Gobert, who's contributions seem to have zero determining effect on his squad's success, Steph Curry is provably the key determining factor in Warriors victories based on the team's win and loss record compared to his contributions!

e: Forgot to add that Rudy Gobert's Jazz are also being roasted by perennial playoff underperformer and failure Paul George, which seems like something the DPOY would take care of easily!

Telluric Whistler fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 15, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Telluric Whistler posted:

Jokic is a weird but effective defender, probably average or slightly above average overall though because of some obvious holes in his game (can't jump very well, doesn't set his hips well for good pivots to help). He is effective because he's got very good hands which he - now famously - uses to slap at the ball. He's beefy and holds position well so his man can't power through him, and the active hands prevent fancy post moves. However, he doesn't really jump or hard contest shots. He's also limited to mostly defending 5s and slower 4s.

He's never going to get an all-defense team vote, nor will he be the anchor of an elite defense. He's basically the polar opposite of Gobert in that you can plug him in to make a great offense but he'll need the right pieces around him to make a good defense. Unfortunately those pieces are solid point-of-attack defenders, which Denver doesn't have at all. Their best player in that department is probably Facu.

According to those advanced stats that everyone hates he's a thoroughly average defender, which is pretty bad for his size. But since hes an exceptional playmaker and a great scorer he is still a big plus overall. Just doesn't lend himself to a conventional center role and probably needs some lengthy defensive wings to help, as you noted.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Telluric Whistler posted:

I know its your gimmick, but there's 8 other players on the floor outside CP3+Jokic and neither of them would be able to defend the other effectively. In your basketball Theory of Everything, is a player's offensive output solely dependent on the defense of the other team's best player? Is Rudy Gobert a bad defender because his teams have been consistently roasted by Harden, CP3, Ja Morant, Steph Curry, Westbrook and Jamal Murray in the playoffs? Who is responsible for Devin Booker's shooting getting worse and Jae Crowder's getting better? Does the play of Austin Rivers, whose own father - a HOF coach - thinks he is bad at basketball, factor into the play of CP3?

I don't feel like this Great Man Theory of Basketball is very well thought out, unless there is only one MVP each year and they must be a member of the NBA Championship team. In which case, I'm going to ask that you seriously reconsider the contributions of Wardell Stephen Curry II, unanimous MVP of the league. Unlike Rudy Gobert, who's contributions seem to have zero determining effect on his squad's success, Steph Curry is provably the key determining factor in Warriors victories based on the team's win and loss record compared to his contributions!

e: Forgot to add that Rudy Gobert's Jazz are also being roasted by perennial playoff underperformer and failure Paul George, which seems like something the DPOY would take care of easily!

He was not effective at all in the 4-0 wipeout by the suns so maybe you need to refine your beliefs about what effective center defense is.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Think Less posted:

He's the reason I can't go for them

what'd he do to you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he’s just an unfunny loser rear end in a top hat

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

indigi posted:

he’s just an unfunny loser rear end in a top hat

what's the unfunniest, loser rear end in a top hat thing he's done? not a big DX fan?

i could see if you thought he was lame in his early 20s, but he's changed quite a bit since then. I'm sure you've changed a lot since your early 20s too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

what's the unfunniest, loser rear end in a top hat thing he's done?

lost game four

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
true

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Stevie Lee posted:

what'd he do to you

Tbh, it's completely irrational. There's nothing specifically that he's done that others don't also do, but for some reason he annoys the poo poo out of me.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Let the record show that the thunder is my team

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
At least I still have my 87ers

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

He was not effective at all in the 4-0 wipeout by the suns so maybe you need to refine your beliefs about what effective center defense is.

he was alright versus ayton but he's not going to cover up for campazzo and austin rivers doing their best pat bev/dennis schroder impressions on defense

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

he was very effective in making the nuggets the first team to come back from 3-1 twice last year

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

also i like embiid and his antics make me laugh. during practice he watched dbz on his phone while lying on the bench on his back so that's pretty cool

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

It feels like he's an average defender, not great but not a liability either. Like, he's not Gobert but he's not Karl Anthony Towns either, and it's weird as hell to act like he's down at that end. There's a huge middle area of average and not every player is on one extreme or the other.

As for that series in particular, loving nobody on the Nuggets played well on either end of the floor, but putting the blame for that on Jokic is also weird as hell. They could have had Gobert gumming up the works instead and they might charitably have lost 1-4 instead of getting swept, given how everyone else played.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Azathoth posted:

It feels like he's an average defender, not great but not a liability either. Like, he's not Gobert but he's not Karl Anthony Towns either, and it's weird as hell to act like he's down at that end. There's a huge middle area of average and not every player is on one extreme or the other.

As for that series in particular, loving nobody on the Nuggets played well on either end of the floor, but putting the blame for that on Jokic is also weird as hell. They could have had Gobert gumming up the works instead and they might charitably have lost 1-4 instead of getting swept, given how everyone else played.

sounds like Gobert would have been more valuable to the team 🤔

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

he was very effective in making the nuggets the first team to come back from 3-1 twice last year

bubble doesn’t count. no one even remembers the bubble

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

cool that means lebron has as many rings as wardell stephen "steph" curry II

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

I seem to recall the Sixers getting swept in the first round but I could be wrong

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

sounds like Gobert would have been more valuable to the team 🤔

lol I don't think he should have gotten the MVP either, but acting like he's below the Mendoza Line just because he won it is a take so bad I'm amazed it didn't come from Bill Simmons first.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fortunately we can all agree that both Jokic and Gobert are technically more valuable than Embiid because they're not crippled for fully 40% of each regular season and 80% of the playoffs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Azathoth posted:

lol I don't think he should have gotten the MVP either, but acting like he's below the Mendoza Line just because he won it is a take so bad I'm amazed it didn't come from Bill Simmons first.

oh no he’s obviously a great player. I’m not going Full Euphronius

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Fortunately we can all agree that both Jokic and Gobert are technically more valuable than Embiid because they're not crippled for fully 40% of each regular season and 80% of the playoffs.

yeah it sucks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

embiid probably just gets the meniscus trim right? he's going to be getting microfracture surgery before he's 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i really wanted a healthy nets against a healthy 76ers and i'm really depressed now