Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Holy poo poo the state already opened a case and an investigator called me. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect the state services to move so fast. The only thing I can think is they already had an investigation open into this provider so it got picked up immediately.

The providers website no longer exists and redirects to a 3rd party services listing website so they may already be in trouble or have sold their group homes.

My security camera caught the whole thing so I am providing them video.

Lol I’m unironically astonished. Anyway good work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently, Comanche Peak Nuclear is offline, that's about 2500 MWs nameplate

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cranking up the AC to crash the lovely power grid in the hopes the ensuing unrest will cause people riot and burn the even shittier leadership of texas to the ground.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Hihohe posted:

Cranking up the AC to crash the lovely power grid in the hopes the ensuing unrest will cause people riot and burn the even shittier leadership of texas to the ground.

ThIs Is AnOtHeR fAiLuRe Of GrEeN eNeRgY.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1404534889362247681

Both suspects are juveniles. Well, 17 is the age of majority in Texas but it shouldn't be.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Just lmao

gently caress this goddamn state.

Lol, how about, you assholes increase your capacity instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

Lol, how about, you assholes increase your capacity instead.

Oh there's a huge push to increase capacity - with NG and even lignite-fired plants. I remember watching the Feb. hearings on all this stuff and they had Curt Morgan in front of a committee saying that they needed to massively increase thermal generation capacity, that renewables/intermittent had penetrated too far into the market and made up too much of the portfolio, while all the members nodded along.

Whatever solutions the state comes up with to deal with capacity will be the bad ones.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1404534889362247681

Both suspects are juveniles. Well, 17 is the age of majority in Texas but it shouldn't be.

I may be wrong but, both of those kids may be facing the death penalty now that somebody died.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My thermostat is set to I just ran for an hour in 100F heat. You can get hosed Abbot, I'm cooling myself.

E: Alternatively ercot can get hosed if Abbot successfully shifts the blame again. Either or both works

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

I may be wrong but, both of those kids may be facing the death penalty now that somebody died.

If it's what the police think it is - two dudes firing randomly at each other and hitting bystanders - I don't know if that rises to capital murder. They could certainly be charged with that but a lesser offense could apply as well.

https://twitter.com/byjayroot/status/1404539660173516802

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 14, 2021

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh there's a huge push to increase capacity - with NG and even lignite-fired plants. I remember watching the Feb. hearings on all this stuff and they had Curt Morgan in front of a committee saying that they needed to massively increase thermal generation capacity, that renewables/intermittent had penetrated too far into the market and made up too much of the portfolio, while all the members nodded along.

Whatever solutions the state comes up with to deal with capacity will be the bad ones.

Agree on the fact that the state will come up with the bad solutions.
Why would they increase capacity though? What's the incentive? They (companies) don't get enough money to cover the cost of that excess capacity now, what's changed?. Unless the state government subsidizes it, or I guess regulates it specifically (lol), it seems that this will just be a buck pushing exercise. Also, who were the losers in Feb (other than regular people)? Producers? I don't think so (I'm not actually sure, but I don't think so)? I think that it was the middle men and market makers. It seems that the producers, if they could produce, made bank. What do you do when you make bank during a catastrophe? you make more catastrophes.

If anything solar and wind are perfect, they are cheap, and can potentially be high value depending on the the market situation. You can pick up the nickels and not worry about the steamroller.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

If it's what the police think it is - two dudes firing randomly at each other and hitting bystanders - I don't know if that rises to capital murder. They could certainly be charged with that but a lesser offense could apply as well.

https://twitter.com/byjayroot/status/1404539660173516802

Lol, the fact they are even mentioning it means it's a guarantee to happen. It's only loving June.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bone Crimes posted:

Agree on the fact that the state will come up with the bad solutions.
Why would they increase capacity though? What's the incentive? They (companies) don't get enough money to cover the cost of that excess capacity now, what's changed?. Unless the state government subsidizes it, or I guess regulates it specifically (lol), it seems that this will just be a buck pushing exercise. Also, who were the losers in Feb (other than regular people)? Producers? I don't think so (I'm not actually sure, but I don't think so)? I think that it was the middle men and market makers. It seems that the producers, if they could produce, made bank. What do you do when you make bank during a catastrophe? you make more catastrophes.

If anything solar and wind are perfect, they are cheap, and can potentially be high value depending on the the market situation. You can pick up the nickels and not worry about the steamroller.

Because if they gently caress up enough, then people will get wise to the scheme and they might have to change the market structure. Like, if you look back, ERCOT issues conservation alerts 2 to 4 times a year (that I could find) but no one gave a poo poo. Now, loving everybody knows what ERCOT is and they're blaming them and the market for poo poo that they wouldn't even have noticed in 2018. If this happens again, and I don't mean rolling blackouts I mean multiple day outages in the heat of the summer, you may see a real push to re-reg, and the generators sure as poo poo don't want that. So, they want to provide reliable service to all their customers, they just want to continue to do so in a market that favors them.

Vistra would love to build a bunch more generators, it's not like peak demand is going to decrease year to year going forward. I know this because I watched the CEO say that the state needs to build more thermal capacity in that hearing.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Imagine if the state govt just put out some kind of huge tax payer incentive for everyone to get solar panels put on their roof. Wouldn't that help alleviate a great deal of the problem right there?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Gin_Rummy posted:

Imagine if the state govt just put out some kind of huge tax payer incentive for everyone to get solar panels put on their roof. Wouldn't that help alleviate a great deal of the problem right there?

Whoa whoa whoa there.. What the hell kind of idea is this? Put some of the power generation in the hands of... the people...? Are you insane, what will the poor poor free market do if we let that sort of thing happen?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
don't we already have some of that? iirc it has some hiccups but hey, beats carbon power

edit specifically i mean state subsidies for household solar

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 14, 2021

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

lobster shirt posted:

So what are y'alls thermostats at?

80 during the day now, but my AC is old and fucky

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
68 because February taught me that our house is in a protected area :getin:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1404564419229724676?s=19

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I hope one of the replies is a list of all the times the government sued someone for not saying the pledge / someone suing the government to not say the pledge.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, it's only controversial in the minds' of people who want it to be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

radical meme posted:

Lol, it's only controversial in the minds' of people who want it to be.

poo poo we've been making fun of how creepy that poo poo is my whole life. People were so stoked when they found out we didn't HAVE to do it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/nwshouston/status/1404594541861163010?s=21

Hot enough to melt wind turbines (I know that’s not what happened shut up)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That's what they will say happened though, and people will believe it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

water it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wasn't surprised by Ted Cruz not knowing what was going on in Texas, but I'm not sure he knows anything going on in America.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Can't believe we're letting our wind turbines wilt

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

With as much rain as we've been getting the past few weeks leading up to this awful heat? How did anything wilt!!!!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1404621648024715267

james okeefe comes to town

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lobster shirt posted:

So what are y'alls thermostats at?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

cant believe the dems havent fixed the state power grid

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

gently caress hes so goddamn ugly

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/nwshouston/status/1404594541861163010?s=21

Hot enough to melt wind turbines (I know that’s not what happened shut up)

They should've pointed the other one at it to cool it off.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

going to cancun in the middle of a winter storm that knocked out your states power grid and blaming your daughters (lol) didnt use to be controversial either

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao pro-click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly, I'm just wondering what she's got recorded. Evil twisting of facts? abuse inside the workplace? Them not having embraced the same crazy conspiracy theory she did? Whatever is getting released it should be good.

Also, she is hella out of a job.