Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Boxman posted:

I just checked lyft and lol it's like $100 before tip. I guess that's not the worst price for a private one-hour drive for two people but...

Oh poo poo, it was definitely not that expensive when we did it. I wanna say it was like $40? But that was also 2019 so circumstances were quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Lyft and Uber prices have been going up a lot lately. Used to be like $15 for us to get one downtown nola from our house, Uber tried to tell me $30 for a ride yesterday.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone know the recipe for the gamechanger?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Braksgirl posted:

Oh poo poo, it was definitely not that expensive when we did it. I wanna say it was like $40? But that was also 2019 so circumstances were quite different.

That's a bit of a bummer :(

It could be due to COVID cratering people willing to drive assholes around California for sometimes-below-minimum wage, but the Times just had a story about the unicorns finally switching from "grow grow grow" to "maybe lets not just light billions of dollars on fire" (with the eye-rolling headline of "Farewell, Millennial Lifestyle Subsidy"), so it could also be an effect of that.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 13, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1404465062753058816

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

at least they're catching them. unlike the tsa

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
noted BLM protest hot spot - Walt Disney World

(it would actually be fantastic to see organized demonstration in the MK hub and would be hilarious to watch disney squirm)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Haven't they successfully hung Trump banners at Disney, even if only for a minute or so?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah some dumbass did have a flag on the train station at MK I think. But that's a political statement. BLM protests are not partisan or political.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

BLM protests are not partisan or political.

That would be strongly contested by a lot of folks on both sides of it even if I get what you're saying here.

Regardless, Disney has allowed protests in the past.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In the sense that everything is political and the goals of the movement require political action yes, but legally and ideologically the statement and organized demonstrations supporting it are not political speech. I’ve seen overwhelming agreement on the BLM side for this sentiment because human rights aren’t a political issue to debate. It’s as political as Covid and masks and vaccines are, which is to say idiots on one side make it a cultural and political issue when it should be loving common sense that everyone can agree on.

Dumb derail caused by a moron over. Hope he enjoys a nice vacation in an Orlando jail.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah some dumbass did have a flag on the train station at MK I think. But that's a political statement. BLM protests are not partisan or political.

I thought it was that rear end in a top hat who whipped out a trump flag on Splash Mountain and got himself banned for life lmao

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boxman posted:

This is so fuckin America/LA I can't believe it. For going from the busiest airport on the west coast to a world-renowned tourist destination, "lol take a private car" 100% should not be the best option, but here we are!

There's no problem getting between Universal and Disney with your person. The problem is your luggage, and the fact that the LA subway is busy and can sometimes be a little hair-raising if you look like a non-local with valuables. If you want to go from the airport to a theme park, that's fine. Disney and Universal don't have a very direct link between them because Universal is very out of the way and in fact is more of a regional park than a huge global draw. The hilly terrain and presence of an actual working movie studio puts a restraint on how much bonzo tourist stuff they can pack in there. Universal would very much rather that tourists go to Florida while the California park pick up the locals that Disney doesn't want anymore.

On top of this, you're going as soon as the pandemic alarms have ended and the tourist industry isn't running on all cylinders.

If you were doing just Disney especially this would be much easier. Universal in Cali is kind of a mess without a car. You might like it, though. There just isn't any easy way between it and Disney because they're on opposing sides of the sprawling LA/Orange landscape. One is up in the hills, the other down by the beach cities.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 15, 2021

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I mean this in all seriousness because I too know that spot: have you considered an ecv just for the back and forth to work so you aren't technically on that hosed up road

AK's isn't a lot better in my opinion, either.

Have considered it but I am a bit too proud to resort to a scooter because I hate scooters with every fiber of my being after working at Disney.

But now I am working from home with a new job that pays a bit better and is more flexible schedule wise, so the days of Butler BigBudget are at an end.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I regret never trying to find you on one of our trips, but grats on not having to deal with guests any longer.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I always looked for BBS when I went on Mansion but never saw him :[

Given how many of us are going for the 50th, should we attempt a big meetup? Might be impossible given the 50th will be crazy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Have considered it but I am a bit too proud to resort to a scooter because I hate scooters with every fiber of my being after working at Disney.

But now I am working from home with a new job that pays a bit better and is more flexible schedule wise, so the days of Butler BigBudget are at an end.

:3: I ran into you twice and only smiled and waved and you never knew it was the fluffy bunny bitch all along

but I'm glad you get to chill and not deal with dickheads anymore.

BlueBayou posted:

I always looked for BBS when I went on Mansion but never saw him :[

Given how many of us are going for the 50th, should we attempt a big meetup? Might be impossible given the 50th will be crazy.

I think it'd be possible if everyone agreed to meet somewhere like Epcot on the 2nd or whatever. The 1st is probably going to be a clusterfuck.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think it'd be possible if everyone agreed to meet somewhere like Epcot on the 2nd or whatever. The 1st is probably going to be a clusterfuck.

Remy's ride opens October 2nd, so not sure Epcot will be much better

Edit: Looks like it opens October 1st, which seems odd to me that they'd open it on MK's 50th. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...th-anniversary/

Omne fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 15, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we'll be at DHS on the 1st

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Omne posted:

Remy's ride opens October 2nd, so not sure Epcot will be much better

Edit: Looks like it opens October 1st, which seems odd to me that they'd open it on MK's 50th. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...th-anniversary/

I assume they're doing it to try to break up the vloggers from converging on MK

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Won't be there, but yall occupy Trader Sams for me, thanks

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I’m at MK the 1st and EP the 2nd (or hopping over to EP on the 1st that evening depending on what is planned).

Survived flight from hell round 2 last night. Not sure what it is about these last two trips but I’m really tired of lovely gate agents at MCO loving my trips up / massive flight delays causing me to sprint to miss a connector / still getting my luggage the next day.

Parks were fun with kiddo. Did dinosaur 4x on Sunday in the last 40 minutes of AK, then hit MK to complete a 4 park day for the first time since March 2020.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Anya posted:

Survived flight from hell round 2 last night. Not sure what it is about these last two trips but I’m really tired of lovely gate agents at MCO loving my trips up / massive flight delays causing me to sprint to miss a connector / still getting my luggage the next day.

Me and the wife got global entry/precheck a couple years ago and it was honestly one of the best decisions ever. Makes MCO a cakewalk.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

precheck is really good, but having to check bags at the Southwest counter because Magical Express isn't doing it fuckin' sucks so bad.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

alg posted:

precheck is really good, but having to check bags at the Southwest counter because Magical Express isn't doing it fuckin' sucks so bad.

Magical Express wasn't doing it, it was Resort Airline Check In and yeah, I do miss that a bunch.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/06/fireworks-spectaculars-are-back-at-disney-parks-this-summer/?CMP=SOC-DPFY21Q3wo0610210039A

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

couldcareless posted:

Me and the wife got global entry/precheck a couple years ago and it was honestly one of the best decisions ever. Makes MCO a cakewalk.

I haven't been tempted to travel internationally for a while but TSAPre is the best $85 I've spent in a long time. I travel for work and it's the best thing in the world to have.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Oh I have PreCheck. It’s getting my flight delayed for over 2 hours while all the other flights are landing:taking off, while being told it’s a weather delay for MCO, while we watch our plane sit there with no agent at the gate and we can’t change flights, and more flights land and take off, and then I have to sprint through CLT to make my connection and still my bags don’t make it. Last month and this month - it’s getting old. Last month I didn’t even make my flight.

I’m so stressed out from last night and a poo poo show at work this week that Idgaf about fireworks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Unf yes.

Craptacular! posted:

There's no problem getting between Universal and Disney with your person. The problem is your luggage, and the fact that the LA subway is busy and can sometimes be a little hair-raising if you look like a non-local with valuables. If you want to go from the airport to a theme park, that's fine.

I mean, isn't the most direct public transit between DL and LAX a subway + a bus? That's still not great. To be fair to LA, this is a problem that extremely few US cities have solved. See also the disaster that is LGA ground transit.

You said its easy to get from the airport to a theme park - do you have a recommended shuttle service? Or is that green-line-to-460-bux just direct and easy? EDIT: I see getting to universal is pretty easy - Flyaway bus to Union station, then red line.

On a related note, I'm holding out booking our trip because I'm flip flopping between putting Universal and Disney first in the itinerary. We get into LA mid-day and leave very early, so it might actually be preferable to make the longer trip the day we get in and plop Disney first...but then I'm a little concerned about crowds on a Saturday at Universal if that's the only day we're there. We haven't been to Universal Orlando, so we're looking forward to some new-to-us experiences.

PS Braksgirl this is why I haven't responded to you, haha.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 15, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No problem! I'm still waiting on Universal to open up booking to out of state. They said it'll be hopefully a week. I literally can't look at any prices but CA resident right now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Anya posted:

Oh I have PreCheck. It’s getting my flight delayed for over 2 hours while all the other flights are landing:taking off, while being told it’s a weather delay for MCO, while we watch our plane sit there with no agent at the gate and we can’t change flights, and more flights land and take off, and then I have to sprint through CLT to make my connection and still my bags don’t make it. Last month and this month - it’s getting old. Last month I didn’t even make my flight.

I’m so stressed out from last night and a poo poo show at work this week that Idgaf about fireworks.

Oh, I think southwest had a huge outage with their weather tracking system across the US yesterday that grounded a ton of flights.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boxman posted:

Unf yes.

I mean, isn't the most direct public transit between DL and LAX a subway + a bus? That's still not great. To be fair to LA, this is a problem that extremely few US cities have solved. See also the disaster that is LGA ground transit.

This isn’t even a transit problem as much as it is an issue with the theme parks. There are airport shuttle services. I haven’t used one in a long time, but I know they exist. Super Shuttle. Prime Time Shuttle. Just Google ‘em.

Universal Studios is built way outside of the city proper. Most big movie studio lots are in Burbank north of Hollywood, but Universal built even further out than that in some hilly terrain where they could control zoning rights or dodge city taxes or something. So the transit for the city isn’t well covered because it’s very inconveniently placed. poo poo, the terrain of LA means there’s some things that are difficult to access that are adjacent to downtown such as Dodger Stadium.

This is why I said Universal is kind of for locals in CA. There isn’t much surrounding draw for out of towners, aside from Hollywood Boulevard stuff a subway ride away.

Disneyland is not even in Los Angeles County. It is out in neighboring Orange County in a property that was nothing but farmland 65 years ago when the joint opened. Everything around Disneyland arguably wouldn’t be there as it is if Disneyland wasn’t there first. Transit access to the area is pretty decent between the Metrolink commuter trains, OCTA system, and a local tourism business district bus service that shuttles hotel guests to and from local attractions.

People from very far away tend to think Disneyland sits somewhere in “Los Angeles” like it’s just behind the Hollywood sign or something. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Disneyland used that imagery one time in an 80s TV commercial where it claimed to be in “Southern California”, probably while trying to wrestle government favors from Orange County or their host city of Anaheim for what would become California Adventure.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 15, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wow, I'm really surprised Epcot Forever is back if even briefly. Harmonius must be having some weird issue.

E: Oooh. Rumor has it that Fantasmic will be back soon, too. I think I'm the only person who cares but also :neckbeard:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fantasmic owns, who hates on it?!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think anyone hates on it, it's just that I'd rather see space lasers :awesomelon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Wasn't it Brosephine who was like 'yeah I've seen it 900 times gently caress it' and then some people agreed and I cried for the human race

Hazo posted:

I don't think anyone hates on it, it's just that I'd rather see space lasers :awesomelon:

like wait which space lasers? star wars? the weird ones with illuminations?

disney has some poo poo with space lasers.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Wasn't it Brosephine who was like 'yeah I've seen it 900 times gently caress it' and then some people agreed and I cried for the human race

like wait which space lasers? star wars? the weird ones with illuminations?

disney has some poo poo with space lasers.

Star Wars. The Galactic Spectacular runs at virtually the same time as Fantasmic. Once we tried to see both in one night and it was an absolute disaster resulting in seeing an unsatisfactory amount of both.

IllumiNations ruled and was probably my favorite fireworks music and I hope they at least quote the Gavin Greenaway score in the next iteration.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
There’s a “gently caress DHS fantasmic because DLR fantasmic” exists crowd but they’re jerks. I love me some DHS Fantasmic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’ve never seen Fantasmic. Maybe I should some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I've never seen fantasmic but fireworks and parades don't impress me so that's why