Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Cool pic of an S-2 water bomber in action:

https://twitter.com/vcstar/status/1404640059714785280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

a patagonian cavy posted:

can you imagine what ATC would say if your best forward airspeed was 40KIAS and you were leading the line on an ILS

So basically any day you're dealing with an eclipse or cirrus jet? :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm a hot air balloon requesting vectors to runway 29L

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

November Three Romeo Delta, say champagne on board.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

At 300 knots?

(FSX Steam Edition joke)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

November Three Romeo Delta, cleared to land runway 29L, winds 290 at 12.

November Three Romeo Delta...? Where are you going?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I did runway touch and gos in balloons any time the opportunity presented itself.

I had a perfect one in Edmonton City Centre before it closed.

There was a bizjet of some sort holding short, and I came in perpendicular to the approach, kissed the runway right in front of the bizjet, then tower called and said they were waiting for me to get out of the way so he could take off, so I cranked the heat and went up. The bizjet came back on the radio after that and said they didn't mind the wait because it was cool and they didn't know a balloon could do that.

I thanked the tower for letting me use their runway. "it's really short, but boy is it wide!"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
More details on that Delta incident.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/14/us/unruly-passenger-atlanta-oklahoma-delta-flight/index.html

quote:

Steve Denton, a passenger on the flight, told CNN Monday that the minute the off-duty Delta flight attendant walked on the plane, he knew something was wrong. He was wearing a hockey helmet and exhibiting what Denton described as "bizarre behavior."

About 45 minutes into the flight, Denton said he saw the man open and close every bin in the first class cabin.

According to the police report citing eyewitness accounts, Duncan was "making statements about being seated next to a terrorist and stashing his personal items in various places throughout the plane. Duncan was ignoring flight crews' orders to remain seated and stop disturbing and frightening passengers with odd and random statements."

An off-duty Delta pilot said he saw the "erratic behavior and heard ... Duncan get on the plane's P.A. system."

The pilot said Duncan made announcements indicating "the plane is going through turbulance (sic), to put on seat belts, the plane is being taken over and the plane will be going under 10,000 feet," the police report read.

Despite being asked to stop, Duncan ignored the orders from the flight crew and allegedly assaulted one of the crew members, the report said.

When another off-duty Delta crew member stepped in, Duncan "pushed her against the wall and put both his hands around her neck and began choking her," the report read.

The flight crew became more concerned for their safety and that of the passengers. The police report said "some of the crew asked for help from the passengers. During this time several crew and passengers arrived and subdued Duncan."

There was about 30 seconds in between the unplanned announcement and the initial scuffle, but Denton said the entire ordeal lasted only about five minutes at the most.

Some of the items Duncan stashed throughout the plane included "odd things like tennis balls with writings on them, trash and food," the report read.

Authorities recovered a note that Duncan allegedly handed a crew member.

"I AM ATL BASED -----------ALERT DELTA MANAGER ---TERRORIST ON BOARD. 95835/CONTACT PILOTS," the note read, according to the police report.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Here's some true Aero Insanity: Low level helicopter flying in NZ to capture live deer:
https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/airborne-1980

There's some gorgeous shots in there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

St_Ides posted:

I did runway touch and gos in balloons any time the opportunity presented itself.

There was a bizjet of some sort holding short, and I came in perpendicular to the approach, kissed the runway right in front of the bizjet, then tower called and said they were waiting for me to get out of the way so he could take off, so I cranked the heat and went up. The bizjet came back on the radio after that and said they didn't mind the wait because it was cool and they didn't know a balloon could do that.

I thanked the tower for letting me use their runway. "it's really short, but boy is it wide!"

:allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is definitely aeronautical insanity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

St_Ides posted:

Turnin up your burner
Listen to her howl and roar
Wicker under tension
Beggin you to touch ad go

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Turnin up your burner
Listen to her howl and roar
Wicker under tension
Beggin you to touch ad go

Maverick popping the champagne bottle after Goose falls out of the basket.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/abc/status/1404823502704852992?s=21

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Controlled Flight Into Tornado

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NightGyr posted:

Here's some true Aero Insanity: Low level helicopter flying in NZ to capture live deer:
https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/airborne-1980

There's some gorgeous shots in there.

That was awesome, thanks.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

fknlo posted:

So basically any day you're dealing with an eclipse or cirrus jet? :v:

I’ve flown IFR in our 152 once and I’ve never heard TRACON get so annoyed with us

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:swoon:

https://twitter.com/konstructivizm/status/1402745821368668163

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Well he is flying a glider. No one would pass by that amount of rising air.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hobbesmaster posted:

Other types of vehicles, you need to ensure you exclude the fiero.

it's less than two weeks until Fast 9 drops in the US, I bet you can't wait to see what they do with a Fiero there :getin:

the gap between international and US release is both depressing and extremely understandable

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Well he is flying a glider. No one would pass by that amount of rising air.

Can you just imagine the happy songs the vario is singing?? :swoon:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles posted:

At 300 knots?

(FSX Steam Edition joke)

While the hot air balloon is doing a barrel roll

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a patagonian cavy posted:

I’ve flown IFR in our 152 once and I’ve never heard TRACON get so annoyed with us

TRACONs hate light GA. They deal with them so infrequently that they seem to see them as something to be overcome, instead of just another airplane. Presently we’re arguing with Miami (a “level 12” up/down) and Palm Beach approach because they’ve collectively said “we’re not working IFR overflight traffic anymore.” IFR overflight traffic is terminal facility code for light GA, and apparently that’s just fine to management as far as we can tell.

Its going to be a 12-16000ft wall from Key Largo to Stuart. It’s absolute b-team weak-stick horseshit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

:laffo:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Psion posted:

it's less than two weeks until Fast 9 drops in the US, I bet you can't wait to see what they do with a Fiero there :getin:

the gap between international and US release is both depressing and extremely understandable

I did a lot of work on that Fiero's adventures in that film... its going to be great. Aeronautical insanity for sure.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Okan170 posted:

I did a lot of work on that Fiero's adventures in that film... its going to be great. Aeronautical insanity for sure.

tell me more. Ideally, everything.

If you can, obviously.

not like plot stuff (that's all spoiled on wikipedia, if anyone wants to read or avoid) but about the car? Yes.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Ryanair got their first 737-8200 today after a 9 hour flight from BFI to DUB. That's a long time to sit in that flight deck.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-hen#281206fc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlXgcUNIL4

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It's at least better than the 200 poor SOB's that are gonna get crammed into the back of that thing. I've been in the back of SWA's max 8s and with 175 people the room isn't bad, but 25 more bodies would be miserable

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Arson Daily posted:

It's at least better than the 200 poor SOB's that are gonna get crammed into the back of that thing. I've been in the back of SWA's max 8s and with 175 people the room isn't bad, but 25 more bodies would be miserable

It's Ryan Air..it's always miserable...but dirt cheap. Whenever we go back to London, we usually only stay there for a few days and then hop 'somewhere else'. Last time it was $100 for return flight to Marrakesh. A decent set of head phones, an ipad and it's no worse than a bus ride.
By far the worst part is having to go through Luton or Stansted airport...often getting to and from the airport is more expensive (and takes longer!) than the actual flight.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

100-year-old news article about a mooted airship airline:

https://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/100-years-ago/lighter-air-airline-mooted

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
overused meme format, but...

https://twitter.com/coxywx/status/1405523428325527558

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Retard! Retard!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
On the E-3, if there's only a standard flight crew, "Seat 5" in the cockpit gets manned during takeoff, landing, and refueling by one of the mission crew. It's a cool "attaboy" most of the time, since we don't get windows in the back.

One training flight, Seat 5 was given to a controller for landing. I don't know her well but I guess she's familiar with fundamentals of flight, might have a PPL or at least ground school probably. Well, at some point as the aircraft is just over the runway but not close enough, she panics and yells "Flare, flare!"

Pilot calls a go around, she never sits Seat 5 again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Ward Carroll (the Tomcat RIO on YouTube) dug up an interview he did with Kelly McGillis back in the 80s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GkzSfbrWX8

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Aww, it's sleepy.

https://twitter.com/mzulqarnainbut1/status/1405804165067067394?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I went on the internet and found this:

quote:

In March of 2018, the FAA received
a report indicating that the NLG on a
Boeing Model 787–8 retracted on the
ground, with weight on the airplane’s
wheels, while undergoing maintenance
testing. Although no maintenance
personnel were injured, the incident
resulted in major structural damage to
the forward fuselage of the airplane. The
NLG retraction occurred due to the NLG
downlock pin being installed in an
incorrect location: The apex pin inner
bore of the NLG lock link assembly,
which is adjacent to the correct location
for the NLG downlock pin. A similar
retraction occurred in March of 2016 on
a Boeing Model 787–8 airplane with
passengers aboard, resulting in
substantial damage to the aircraft and
minor injuries to passengers. In
addition, we received a safety report
from an operator’s maintenance
technician arising from the March 2018
incident that described the risk of an
inadvertent NLG retraction due to
accidentally installing the NLG
downlock pin in the apex pin inner bore
of the NLG lock link assembly. We
considered the reports of NLG retraction
and the safety report in our risk
assessment. Accidentally installing the
NLG downlock pin in the apex pin
inner bore of the NLG lock link
assembly, if not addressed, could result
in the NLG retracting on the ground,
possibly causing serious injuries to
personnel and passengers and
substantial damage to the airplane.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Need to put those pilots on a diet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So maybe they stuck their pin in the wrong hole

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is why you aren't allowed to tip your pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's a paddlin'

Just saw this on the tweeter too. Thought it was interesting.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1405381261863096322