Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It could be a dormitory for young men or any number of things. People being people and the Roman's being the Roman's, there was definitely a brothel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Lol at the 0 brothels in Pompeii hypothesis.

Yeah that corridor connecting like 6 small bedrooms right there, with the roman kamasutra painted above the doors? That's... a bakery. Yes.

Ooh! Erotic cakes!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brawnfire posted:

Ooh! Erotic cakes!

there's a joke about cream filling and cream pies there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Yeah that corridor connecting like 6 small bedrooms right there, with the roman kamasutra painted above the doors? That's... a bakery. Yes.

Could have just been a tenement

One interesting thing is the omnipresent erotic paintings were beginning to be painted over town wide at the time of the eruption. Beard guesses that maybe pompeiians were getting tired of it by then. Who knows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Could have just been a tenement

One interesting thing is the omnipresent erotic paintings were beginning to be painted over town wide at the time of the eruption. Beard guesses that maybe pompeiians were getting tired of it by then. Who knows.

My guess is that at any given point in time, someone was painting new erotic graffiti and someone else was painting over the graffiti.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is that at any given point in time, someone was painting new erotic graffiti and someone else was painting over the graffiti.

"Those are nowhere near big enough. I swear, the lack of imagination these days..."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anne Frank Funk posted:

“I’ll see you later Septimius I’m off to the bakery, gotta put some sausage in some buns”

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anyway, visiting Pompei, Herculaneum, etc was nice. The actual jewel of my stay around Naples was going here: https://www.areamarinaprotettagaiola.it/

Discovery process:
  • Wow, can you imagine, publicly accessible flooded ruins of roman villa!
  • One visit to the website later... uh, diving and even swimming is VERY illegal (in the area with the ruins)! Oh well, cool and remote sunbathing spot either way.
  • After actually finding the place (not so easy!) - literally everyone swims, dives, frolics in the water, the ruins are a bit deep but you can pretty much go in if you are so inclined. Yeah, they check your id on entry, also they don't really care if you go in the water unless you manage to come out of it with an amphora, Putin style.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 15, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Weka posted:

What's your source on that? Etymonline suggests it come from "PIE *bhle-was "light-colored, blue, blond, yellow," "
https://www.etymonline.com/word/blue

This paper: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/200783371.pdf

But they don't provide a source for that claim, so :shrug:

Edit:

quote:

1 In fact, in the Old English period (c. 600–1150), the word blæwen,
which becomes blue in Modern English, designated the dye obtained
from the woad plant.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 15, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

[*]One visit to the website later... uh, diving and even swimming is VERY illegal (in the area with the ruins)! Oh well, cool and remote sunbathing spot either way.
[*]After actually finding the place (not so easy!) - literally everyone swims, dives frolics in the water, the ruins are a bit deep but you can pretty much go in if you are so inclined. Yeah, they check your id on entry, also they don't really care if you go in the water

This is a reason I enjoy countries like Italy. Rules being mere suggestions can be frustrating, but also great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder if erotic graffiti/art was covered under any of the various sumptuary laws.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grand Fromage posted:

This is a reason I enjoy countries like Italy. Rules being mere suggestions can be frustrating, but also great.

In Germany, everything that’s not explicitly allowed is forbidden.
In France, everything that's not explicitly forbidden is allowed.
In Italy, everything is allowed even if it is explicitly forbidden.
In Soviet Russia, everything is forbidden even if it is explicitly allowed.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This paper: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/200783371.pdf

But they don't provide a source for that claim, so :shrug:

Edit:

It seems like the term for woad came from the term for blue, not the other way around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wonder if erotic graffiti/art was covered under any of the various sumptuary laws.

You may only have a painting of a dong of a certain size if you are of a certain rank?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sumpin'-Sumptuary laws

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Weka posted:

It seems like the term for woad came from the term for blue, not the other way around.

Well, from the word for "the blue-grey colour of the sea", going by that etymology link, but yeah.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Its a ritual area, some sort of worship, hmm yes :agesilaus:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wonder what would happen to the field of archaeology if you banned the phrase “some kind of ritual or religious purpose”.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Its a ritual area, some sort of worship, hmm yes :agesilaus:

Sex is a type of eitual.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

galagazombie posted:

I wonder what would happen to the field of archaeology if you banned the phrase “some kind of ritual or religious purpose”.

They'd develop another variation of "idk."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Purposes of social construction

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tulip posted:

They'd develop another variation of "idk."

"idk" is a much more rigorous categorization than "religious or ritual purpose" imo

the latter conveys a false sense of certainty that it's not a mundane item for a mundane purpose and too often serves to eliminate the concept of art for the sake of aesthetics from our conception of what ancient peoples were like. i don't know what bunch of weirdos decided that culture = religion but it's very bizarre

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jazerus posted:

"idk" is a much more rigorous categorization than "religious or ritual purpose" imo

the latter conveys a false sense of certainty that it's not a mundane item for a mundane purpose and too often serves to eliminate the concept of art for the sake of aesthetics from our conception of what ancient peoples were like. i don't know what bunch of weirdos decided that culture = religion but it's very bizarre

The impression I get is almost uniformly one of very low certainty. "May have ritual functions" is very commonly said because the barrier to propose it is almost zero (basically any object that people interact with, which is nearly all of them), but the barrier to disprove is really high. Which is kind of the nature of highly uncertain statements. The reason to not say it is that it's also by that virtue a very low information statement, but y'know if you don't say it then somebody will ask you how you eliminated that possibility.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

It’s because religion is among the most prestigious (= best recorded) and probably also the most significant forms of ancient culture. People are fascinated by divinity and its paraphernalia, and they have a tendency to associate it with the distant past. (Which ancient peoples also had: think the legend of Zeus’ Cretan birth, or “I am the God of your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob”) Archaeologists and historians also kind of want to believe: to claim something they’ve found has religious or ritual purpose lends it a significance without which it would be easy for them or anyone else to ask what the hell is the point of digging this stuff up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the mundane purposes are much more exciting to me than claiming that every ancient hot dog stand was a temple and i'm a little skeptical of any archaeologist that doesn't agree

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

the mundane purposes are much more exciting to me than claiming that every ancient hot dog stand was a temple and i'm a little skeptical of any archaeologist that doesn't agree

I feel you. But it’s probably harder to write grants if all you got to show for it is archaic period hot dogs

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

We already know the mystical stuff though, I want to see more ancient dick jokes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

We already know the mystical stuff though, I want to see more ancient dick jokes.

Why are you assuming these are different things?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Just wait till everybody a thousand years from now finds all of our ritual or religious Funko Pops.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

skasion posted:

It’s because religion is among the most prestigious (= best recorded) and probably also the most significant forms of ancient culture. People are fascinated by divinity and its paraphernalia, and they have a tendency to associate it with the distant past. (Which ancient peoples also had: think the legend of Zeus’ Cretan birth, or “I am the God of your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob”) Archaeologists and historians also kind of want to believe: to claim something they’ve found has religious or ritual purpose lends it a significance without which it would be easy for them or anyone else to ask what the hell is the point of digging this stuff up.

Very rarely does ritual purposes actually get thrown out as a reason anymore in my experience, this is likely because we have a pretty solid foundation in a lot of areas and we can make better guesses. Also probably because we all realized its a bullshit copout and you get further by saying "I don't know but hey give me more money and let's find out"

I'd also argue that religion is maybe a low third on the list of significance. Politics and agriculture/subsistence practices are pretty high imo.

Also not a huge fan of the belief that we basically call it out as ritual in nature because we are trying to justify our jobs. Applied archaeology is a thing.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 16, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Best recorded is a weird criteria but if we go with "This is what's most numerous in the recorded/examined archaeological record" then the answer is flaked stone scatters followed by ceramic scatters probably.

If you go with "The data potential has been exhausted with these archaeological sites, and therefore we have done the best possible we can recording this site because no new information is likely" than the answer is still flaked stone scatters and ceramic scatters because its incredibly easy to exhaust the data potential of those two sites types.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 16, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CleverHans posted:

Just wait till everybody a thousand years from now finds all of our ritual or religious Funko Pops.

This enormous silicon alien ovipositor may have been used for ritual or religious purposes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It never occurred to me that Lares is plural and the singular is Lar

That owns.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Me either, when my dad waa racking up points with the word "lare" in big boggle :mad:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CleverHans posted:

They're like ushabti, owned by people whose lives are over.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tree Bucket posted:

They're like ushabti, owned by people whose lives are over.

:hmmyes:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The ACOUP this week might be particularly interesting to a bunch of people itt: https://acoup.blog/2021/06/25/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-ii-citizens-and-allies/

It's about how the Romans treated their citizens and subjects vs how contemporaries from their time did -- much better, basically. Which is apparently the main reason for their famously endless supply of manpower.
Anyway he goes into it all in a lot more depth and I'd definitely recommend giving it a read.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Koramei posted:

The ACOUP this week might be particularly interesting to a bunch of people itt: https://acoup.blog/2021/06/25/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-ii-citizens-and-allies/

It's about how the Romans treated their citizens and subjects vs how contemporaries from their time did -- much better, basically. Which is apparently the main reason for their famously endless supply of manpower.
Anyway he goes into it all in a lot more depth and I'd definitely recommend giving it a read.

Seconded. It's an interesting series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Acoup is entertaining but sometimes crawls up his own rear end in a dumb way

Like when he said that modern people easily recognize that courage requires different things in different contexts, but a native american and a roman soldier respectively wouldn't recognize holding your ground / doing a quick raid as courageous because their military tactics were different

I have seen this sort of "historical figures had no imagination and could never conceive of the world being different from their immediate day-to-day lives, but I the big brained historian can" stuff creep into a few different pop historians and it is always grating.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Acoup is entertaining but sometimes crawls up his own rear end in a dumb way

Like when he said that modern people easily recognize that courage requires different things in different contexts, but a native american and a roman soldier respectively wouldn't recognize holding your ground / doing a quick raid as courageous because their military tactics were different

I have seen this sort of "historical figures had no imagination and could never conceive of the world being different from their immediate day-to-day lives, but I the big brained historian can" stuff creep into a few different pop historians and it is always grating.

I think this statement needs to be understood in its context, which is to criticize the idea of trans-historical "warrior values." The point is that our word "courage" elides the difference between virtues that are in a sense opposites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes. And i think it is fundamentally unsound to say a generalizable warrior identity can't exist because modern people generalize in a way that historical people were incapable of. Which is the crux of his argument there.