Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
FWIW I did all access through Walmart a couple of weeks ago on a whim and got a series x. I may have just got lucky though.

Page snipe: Gamepass is both a blessing and a curse if having a huge backlog of games causes you anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I joined a couple of discord’s and set up HotStock. The HotStock notification was ultimately what got me one. I got one from Walmart after a couple of weeks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Nah they're usually gone in like 3 minutes. You probably just got lucky and noticed a restock.

The S is considerably more available but still doesn't usually last more than 20 minutes.

This varies a lot by country. In Canada we've had multiple 24-hour stretches of the Series X being available and weeks-long stretches for the Series S. Wal-Mart even carries the X in physical stores now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really happy that Halo Infinite multiplayer will be free.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

This varies a lot by country. In Canada we've had multiple 24-hour stretches of the Series X being available and weeks-long stretches for the Series S. Wal-Mart even carries the X in physical stores now.

You should start hauling some of those bad boys south of the border and help your fellow Xbox loving goons out.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

I don't think I've heard the Series X once no matter what it's doing.

the COD MW lobby screen turned my one X into a jet engine and it barely makes a peep on the series X.

makes a great heater for my 70sqm apartment though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I have mine horizontal and my cat likes just chilling near the top exhaust.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

You should start hauling some of those bad boys south of the border and help your fellow Xbox loving goons out.

I think Microsoft keeps trying to make Xbox a thing in non-US countries and it keeps not happening. Given the shortages they should have cut their losses and gone US-only, they'd have actually sold them that way.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

univbee posted:

I think Microsoft keeps trying to make Xbox a thing in non-US countries and it keeps not happening. Given the shortages they should have cut their losses and gone US-only, they'd have actually sold them that way.

xbox has historically done well in Europe, Aus, mexico, and south america.... so you're not really correct there.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 15, 2021

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Wasnt expecting Hades for Xbox. Nice surprise to see that. One of those games i was always interested in but since it wasn’t on Xbox I kinda ignored it.

Ascent looks so loving cool. Trying not to get too hyped but it looks like an ultra deep Ruiner with coop. I’m avoiding spoiling anything beyond what I already know. Haven’t watched whatever the latest video is.

Deaths door is the other one on my radar. Looks loving awesome.

So many cool isometric games coming out. I love the top down look.

That Ubisoft riders game looks alright but I fear that we will now never get another trials game if that riders game takes off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I had not gotten an Xbox in the first wave in Japan I don't think I'd have ever gotten one since I doubt they'll ever meaningfully restock.

Also put frickin Disco Elysium on game pass so I can have successfully held out on both Hades and it

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Will Hades have cross-progression with PC and Switch?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I got into Hades a few months ago and I've just now gotten over playing it 3 times a day. I hope the Gamepass version syncs saves from switch/steam!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I booted up Horizon 4 again, and turns out that game feels great, looks great, has great cars. The music hasn’t held up that well though (although if I recall I wasn’t a huge fan of the track selection even when it came out.)

Also, way too many different Ferraris. I’d be curious the amount of players who want to play the seventh best Ferrari vs players who want to drive a ‘96 Civic.

Drive the civic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

I'm contemplating eBay at this point :negative:

When I looked at ebay before I managed to snag one they were way more affordable than PS5s. I think I saw a retailer was selling one with an extra controller for like 650 at one point (which you gotta factor taxes and fees on of course as well) which is marked up still but actually kind of reasonable compared to people asking for 1000 for a console alone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty good posted:

Will Hades have cross-progression with PC and Switch?

Nope

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Boo. No reason to play it on xbox then

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Someone was asking about the Series S earlier - I got one as a gift and I don't feel at all like it's compromised. Stuff generally runs and looks great, it just does so at a lower resolution. I never owned an Xbox before so the lack of disc slots doesn't matter to me, and I have no library to carry over so I'm literally just playing what is on gamepass.

The one thing that is a bit annoying is the Backwards Compatibility is straight up worse on Series S for a bunch of games; stuff will run in bad resolutions at 30FPS when much better looking games run at 60/120 if they're optimized. MS has been going back and optimizing a lot of games though especially ones on gamepass so you'll have enough to play, it's just a bit of a bummer to effectively have a smaller library than the X if that bugs you.

Storage is not that big of an issue if you have a spare external lying around. The interface is very good for moving things around painlessly, it'll straight up just tell you ok I'll move XYZ to the external when you need to download something with no space.

That said I dunno if it's gonna look super aged in a year or two when a lot of stuff designed for only the new consoles starts to come out. Like look at this snippet from the Forza Horizon 5 page

https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/4402249796243-Forza-Horizon-5-Announce-FAQ

quote:

Q: How does Forza Horizon 5 perform on Xbox Series X|S?
A: On Xbox Series X Forza Horizon 5 will feature 4K resolution at 30fps, on Xbox Series S Forza Horizon 5 will play at 1080p resolution at 30fps. Both platforms will feature a performance mode that runs at 60fps.

If you're already at 1080p, 30fps what is a performance mode going to have to sacrifice to get it running at 60? We'll see I guess.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I got into Hades a few months ago and I've just now gotten over playing it 3 times a day. I hope the Gamepass version syncs saves from switch/steam!

I'm guessing they wouldn't but also it's an excuse to start a new save! I played a LOT of hades on switch. Like I did every weapon up to 20 heat, unlocked almost everything in the store, did some 32 heat runs and was starting to consider getting into speedrunning

I really, really like Hades

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
FH5 only runs at 30FPS? Wtf

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Someone was asking about the Series S earlier - I got one as a gift and I don't feel at all like it's compromised. Stuff generally runs and looks great, it just does so at a lower resolution. I never owned an Xbox before so the lack of disc slots doesn't matter to me, and I have no library to carry over so I'm literally just playing what is on gamepass.

The one thing that is a bit annoying is the Backwards Compatibility is straight up worse on Series S for a bunch of games; stuff will run in bad resolutions at 30FPS when much better looking games run at 60/120 if they're optimized. MS has been going back and optimizing a lot of games though especially ones on gamepass so you'll have enough to play, it's just a bit of a bummer to effectively have a smaller library than the X if that bugs you.

Storage is not that big of an issue if you have a spare external lying around. The interface is very good for moving things around painlessly, it'll straight up just tell you ok I'll move XYZ to the external when you need to download something with no space.

That said I dunno if it's gonna look super aged in a year or two when a lot of stuff designed for only the new consoles starts to come out. Like look at this snippet from the Forza Horizon 5 page

https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/4402249796243-Forza-Horizon-5-Announce-FAQ

If you're already at 1080p, 30fps what is a performance mode going to have to sacrifice to get it running at 60? We'll see I guess.

I'm guessing the series S performance version is going to look a lot like Forza Horizon 4 in terms of actual graphical bells and whistles.

Series S might have been an appealing option to get for my 1080 tv upstairs but tbh if the one x plays bc games better (it gets x enhancements that the series s doesn't have) I might as well just keep my one hooked up and oh no I can't play the medium on the upstairs tv (I have already stopped playing the medium).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

FH5 only runs at 30FPS? Wtf

In 4k, with a "Performance Mode" which is I guess bumping it down in either resolution or turning off stuff like Raytracing. Even PS5 only games like Ratchet & Clank have:

4k/30fps Raytracing Mode
4k/60fps no Raytracing Mode
~1440p/60FPS Some Raytracing Mode

And that's without a lower spec console to target like S/X.
Console games are all in on the graphical options train

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm guessing the series S performance version is going to look a lot like Forza Horizon 4 in terms of actual graphical bells and whistles.

Series S might have been an appealing option to get for my 1080 tv upstairs but tbh if the one x plays bc games better (it gets x enhancements that the series s doesn't have) I might as well just keep my one hooked up and oh no I can't play the medium on the upstairs tv (I have already stopped playing the medium).

Yeah the way I see it if I eventually get the mid-life console refresh I might upgrade to X if I find myself playing it enough, but I wouldn't mind having the S as a lil thing to carry around. I took it to a friend's house the other day and it is so portable and easy to move.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

It depends. Some games have One X enhancements but the Series S has fps boost and a significantly better cpu that can fix questionable frame rates.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a pity that everyone hated external power bricks so much, the Series X and PS5 could probably stand to offload some of their bloated size.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Doctor Nutt posted:

When I looked at ebay before I managed to snag one they were way more affordable than PS5s. I think I saw a retailer was selling one with an extra controller for like 650 at one point (which you gotta factor taxes and fees on of course as well) which is marked up still but actually kind of reasonable compared to people asking for 1000 for a console alone.

I've been seeing both Series X & PS5 consoles in the £500-ish range here. Was gonna go for it but I'm going to take my time finding a good listing since many are sold as new & sealed but look like they've been opened and it bugs me because scalpers are lovely.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The one thing that is a bit annoying is the Backwards Compatibility is straight up worse on Series S for a bunch of games; stuff will run in bad resolutions at 30FPS when much better looking games run at 60/120 if they're optimized.
This applies to last gen games that got One X enhancements but no Series enhancement patch, right? I'm still not clear on whether there are any "automatic" enhancements for One games on Series (S) regardless of whether they got updates optimising them for One X/Series, or if there are any S-specific enhancements that don't require it to be a Series executable with the X|S badge and all. Like, would the experience of playing AC Origins on a Series S be 1:1 identical to playing it on a launch xbone?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I never had a One X, but did they have FPS boost like the Series? I had the original Bone so any of the new consoles is an upgrade.

I went with a series S for the time being. I've only got a 1080p TV and I'm unlikely to change it any time soon so there didn't seem like there was much point to get the console that does 4K straight away.

I've noticed that the quality has improved considerably. Just having an SSD in the machine helps a bundle.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pretty good posted:

This applies to last gen games that got One X enhancements but no Series enhancement patch, right? I'm still not clear on whether there are any "automatic" enhancements for One games on Series (S) regardless of whether they got updates optimising them for One X/Series, or if there are any S-specific enhancements that don't require it to be a Series executable with the X|S badge and all. Like, would the experience of playing AC Origins on a Series S be 1:1 identical to playing it on a launch xbone?

Origins apparently has a dynamic resolution so on a Series S it should stick closer to 1080p (or whatever it's maximum is.)

If anyone is sticking with a One X maybe consider a small external ssd because that helps a bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Things like unstable framerates and loading times and dynamic framerates will be improved on the S. You won't, however, get the benefits of any game that had a One X profile, which is the real issue since those are often tremendous improvements. If the game received a series S/X patch, obviously you have it.

I believe, but someone else will know better, the 360 and original xbox games have all the same upgrades

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/MSFSofficial/status/1404148843134943234?s=20

This was already posted before but what will VRR do exactly? Does this mean it will have some kind of unstable framerate of 30-40 fps?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

https://twitter.com/MSFSofficial/status/1404148843134943234?s=20

This was already posted before but what will VRR do exactly? Does this mean it will have some kind of unstable framerate of 30-40 fps?

VRR makes the fluctuation of framerate less noticeable as the TV adjusts automatically to however often its getting frames. Its why an unstable 120 on xbox games don't look anywhere as bad on VRR since the tv is fine with you dippinng. My gut says itll be 40s range for the FPS but after being surprised by resi village where "45 fps variable" was 60fps, mild dips to 55 in real world I can hold out some hope

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How would, say, a particularly stable 100-110fps compare to a flat 30fps?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If you have VRR it looks fantabulously better no question. If you don't, whenever it hitches you might notice it since its unstable, but panning around and motion will still look leagues better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

You’d be doing well to notice frame-drops at that level at real-time.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

I never had a One X, but did they have FPS boost like the Series? I had the original Bone so any of the new consoles is an upgrade.

Sometimes "One X enhanced" did mean a framerate bump from 30 to 60 fps, but not always, and pretty often it was an alternate "perfomance" mode alongside a fancy graphics mode.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pretty good posted:

Yeah it seems to be - A lot of these games use the One S version as a base which is often very, very bad, whereas a "Series S" enhanced version of the exact same game will run better than the One X version. Most of the stuff you'd want to play has a Series S version or is getting FPS boosted to basically run as if it has a series S version; Prey runs very well on the SS for example and feels like a native game while the One X version was 30fps and laggy, because they explicitly went back and patched it.

It's all very confusing lol

Barudak posted:

Things like unstable framerates and loading times and dynamic framerates will be improved on the S. You won't, however, get the benefits of any game that had a One X profile, which is the real issue since those are often tremendous improvements. If the game received a series S/X patch, obviously you have it.

I believe, but someone else will know better, the 360 and original xbox games have all the same upgrades

I believe it's very close but not exactly the same - the Series X uprezzes old games more than the Series S does but it's not gonna be super easy to notice on games that old

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can't believe Everwild is getting delayed to 2024 when I am perfectly capable of showing up at Rare's office and screaming "It's Monster Hunter Now!!" On short notice

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

I can't believe Everwild is getting delayed to 2024 when I am perfectly capable of showing up at Rare's office and screaming "It's Monster Hunter Now!!" On short notice
Part of the issue with development, supposedly, is an insistence that the game not have any violence. So you'd have to shout "It's Viva Pinata now!" instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Remember when they released the teaser and said “we don’t know what the game is”

Always a good sign

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

The Kins posted:

Part of the issue with development, supposedly, is an insistence that the game not have any violence. So you'd have to shout "It's Viva Pinata now!" instead.

Not seeing the problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

Part of the issue with development, supposedly, is an insistence that the game not have any violence. So you'd

Yeah but that creative director is gone

quote:

have to shout "It's Viva Pinata now!" instead.

Oh no this is way better