Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm going to put this here since a bunch of you have expressed difficulty finding decent patreons. There is a resin kickstarter going on right now by Atlas (the team that does the support work for a lot of the big patreons) and as part of buying the resin you also get tokens you can redeem for minis from the same patreons that the Atlas team supports. It might be a great way to get a whole variety of STLs and check out some of these patreons without having to back them first if that's what you're looking for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlas3dss/vulcan-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

I'm going to put this here since a bunch of you have expressed difficulty finding decent patreons. There is a resin kickstarter going on right now by Atlas (the team that does the support work for a lot of the big patreons) and as part of buying the resin you also get tokens you can redeem for minis from the same patreons that the Atlas team supports. It might be a great way to get a whole variety of STLs and check out some of these patreons without having to back them first if that's what you're looking for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlas3dss/vulcan-1

I really wanted that cyberpunk ramen shop STL, but apparently it's only available for now through the kickstarter, which is a bummer because I already have way too much resin.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

InternetJunky posted:

That may be true, but I wouldn't base my purchasing decision around how accessible replacement parts are. Worst case I'm sure you can find one on aliexpress. Most common cause of screens dying is resin spills, so just put a protector in place before you start printing.

Speaking of Elegoo, there's still some preorders left of their new Mars3 4k printer: https://www.elegoo.com/products/elegoo-mars-3-lcd-3d-printer

Cheers, sorry forgot to reply earlier.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a link for some generic wargaming bases? I feel like I had some but I've lost them.

Want some squares, circles, ovals etc in a bunch of different sizes

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Renedra have you covered, if you're in the UK or know someone who stocks it: https://www.renedra.co.uk/

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Cobalt Keep has a bunch that you can magnetize fairly easily for transportation.

Edit: whoops this is the 3d thread.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a link for some generic wargaming bases? I feel like I had some but I've lost them.

Want some squares, circles, ovals etc in a bunch of different sizes

If you're looking to 3D print some, Txarli Factory on MMF had a campaign going where they had a bunch of themed bases and base toppers, and included in that was a set of blank bases with insert holes for magnets. Not sure if they're still running it, but I can definitely attest to the quality of their work.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've been painting up a fully 3d printed Imperial Guard army for the past couple of months. I was going to take it to a tournament today, but I had to bail because I got sick. Ah well.

This started as a quick little project where I was going to make a Kill Team with like ten dudes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

I've been painting up a fully 3d printed Imperial Guard army for the past couple of months. I was going to take it to a tournament today, but I had to bail because I got sick. Ah well.

This started as a quick little project where I was going to make a Kill Team with like ten dudes.

I'm currently working on a proxy-Khorne Daemons (aka "Rift Demons") warband for One Page Rules' "Age of Fantasy Skirmish" ruleset, and I can easily see myself going down this exact same road for their "Regiments" rules later on. :sigh:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I really wish more sculptors were into making cool dioramas with their models. I saw this Lord of the Print set and had to print it for myself (upscaled to 54mm scale).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I picked up a flexi plate and it installed super easily (including a 3 minute FDM print to make a 2mm shim). Quick question though - is it okay to dunk the build plate in IPA? Will it mess up the adhesive on the magnetic plate? I'm assuming it's fine since it's dunked in resin all the time too, but I wanted to check before testing it out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I picked up a flexi plate and it installed super easily (including a 3 minute FDM print to make a 2mm shim). Quick question though - is it okay to dunk the build plate in IPA? Will it mess up the adhesive on the magnetic plate? I'm assuming it's fine since it's dunked in resin all the time too, but I wanted to check before testing it out.

My experience from the few times I've done it has been that it shouldn't be an issue, but generally what I do is just pop the flex steel plate off and dunk that (usually with prints attached) in the cleaning solution that's in my Wash & Cure station, and then (if I feel the need to clean it for whatever reason) take the build plate off and clean that separately with some paper towels and some Sprayaway glass cleaner (but IPA on paper towels would work just as well, I'd say).

After the W&C has done its' thing, and I've gotten the prints removed off of the flex plate, I use the Sprayaway/paper towels cleanup method on that too and then it's ready for action. I also generally have at least two build plates so I can swap the clean one in when removing the one with prints on it, so I don't have to wait for the first one to be all clean before printing again. Sounds a bit excessive, I know, but it hasn't let me down yet. :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm told you need to wait 24 hours after applying the adhesive magnet sheet to your build plate to properly let the glue set. Dunno if that will have an effect on it's resistance to IPA.
I also read that you can skip the magnetic sheet and just apply some big-rear end magnets to t he back of your build plate to hold the flexplate in place. I'm probably going to give that a try soon as I hosed up my magnetic sheet when I first got started.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

I also read that you can skip the magnetic sheet and just apply some big-rear end magnets to t he back of your build plate to hold the flexplate in place. I'm probably going to give that a try soon as I hosed up my magnetic sheet when I first got started.

Just a heads-up, Fulament sell the magnetic sheets for their resin flex plates separately, if you just need a replacement one. They have a size chart and all so you should be able to find one for your specific printer. A magnet's a magnet so it'll work fine with any other brand's flex plate.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i looked up both fulament and wam bam and i swear they both ship to every country, island, principality on earth except the UK, i can’t find how to ship here at all. Even I try to get it shipped to ireland i can’t choose a county in the north

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

i looked up both fulament and wam bam and i swear they both ship to every country, island, principality on earth except the UK, i can’t find how to ship here at all. Even I try to get it shipped to ireland i can’t choose a county in the north

Not being sarcastic, it might be some fallout from Brexit that's making shipping costs prohibitively expensive for them? Just speculating. I do know that Fulament also sells some of their stuff via Amazon here in the US, so maybe give that a try.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just a heads-up, Fulament sell the magnetic sheets for their resin flex plates separately, if you just need a replacement one. They have a size chart and all so you should be able to find one for your specific printer. A magnet's a magnet so it'll work fine with any other brand's flex plate.

Thanks, but I figure if I decide to go back to the magnetic sheet, I'll buy a full kit so I'll have a spare flex plate for quick swapping.

For the moment getting things off with the included spatula has been working well for me. Or at least it would be if the resin I ordered would get here already.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

This is what I use https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001860448954.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.233aa182T0o2D8

I would imagine they ship to the UK.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Bloodthirster proxy. I kinda started hating this model because it is way overloaded with detail and sucked balls to paint once the skin and metals were done. If the sculptor had just stopped when he thought he was halfway done it would have been better.

Still, came out alright.

x-posting this boy because he's 3d printed

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jesus WEP posted:

A lot of small companies are no longer shipping to the UK due to the fact they need to fill out VAT forms, and the workload to do so wipes out any profit on the sale.

So yeah, Brexit continues to be good.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Starting to print this huge nautilus airship for a Christmas present. Going to take forever to print, let alone paint

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is a good resource if you want to see what all is out there for patreons: https://graphtreon.com/patreon-creators/3d-printing

w00tmonger posted:

Starting to print this huge nautilus airship for a Christmas present. Going to take forever to print, let alone paint

Is that the AvG model? That thing is a beast!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

This is a good resource if you want to see what all is out there for patreons: https://graphtreon.com/patreon-creators/3d-printing

It's baffling how many patreons high up on this list don't provide any previews of their work that are viewable without subscribing. Who is subscribing to these patreons without being able to see what they're getting??

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

InternetJunky posted:

Oh dang I should have done my research better. I've literally been making a spreadsheet of this exact kind of thing for the past couple of weeks:

I'm only up to 76 Patreons though so clearly I've missed quite a few.

And yeah honestly some of the trends in the different Patreons have been kinda confusing to me. One of the reasons I'm making the spreadsheet is so I can do some pseudo-statistical analysis on it, but even for off the cuff observations just e.g. how many of even the very top earning Patreons only show STLs was a bit eye opening to me. I figured people would want a better idea of what the stuff looks like in person (like, at first I was thinking I'd have to be fully painting everything too) but maybe it's not so important.

e:

Class Warcraft posted:

It's baffling how many patreons high up on this list don't provide any previews of their work that are viewable without subscribing. Who is subscribing to these patreons without being able to see what they're getting??

Thinking about it more this is even more baffling to me; maybe I have the whole mindset of buyers of these things wrong. I really figured as a seller, presenting what you're selling cleanly and quickly (and in a way that looks nice) is by far the most important thing, since surely most Patreon subscribers--that is, people with the funds to dedicate to this hobby and buy and maintain a Resin Printer--are gonna be reasonably well off people that, in the time/money balance, value the former pretty highly. Compared to e.g. a Patreon targeting teenagers, who probably have more time to shop around and less funds so they have to be more choosy.
I know I'll just bounce off the Patreons that don't show things well, or have huge walls of text I have to parse to figure out what I'm buying. Am I imagining who's interested in this stuff wrong? Is it lots of teenagers or something?

Or is it something else, like most of these Patreons get discovered by customers posting the painted results, and people referring them?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 18, 2021

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
It may be the case that a lot of traffic is being driven by youtube creators showing off the work of a certain patreon. I know I have definitely found stls from youtuber recommendations before. I agree it is weird that they don't do a better job of showing of their models, since that's the most important thing for anyone who would be buying them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I was thinking the same thing and this is the conclusion that I came to:

The people running these patreon's are primarily armatures, hobbyists and artists who are just starting to figure out how business works, specifically this brand new type of business. 3d printing is a young industry and hobby 3d printing is even younger, there are no experienced marketers working in this space yet so everyone is figuring it out as they go. I sometimes get frustrated by the lack of basic info (like links to stores or preview images) but then I also feel like it's a bit refreshing and exciting to see this brand new business developing. Different people are trying different approaches and seeing what works and what doesn't, and in the long run they'll sort it out.

I'm sure in a few years the MBAs will have jumped on board to determine all the best strategies to maximize potential profit, and every creator will offer the same optimized experience, but until then I'm going to enjoy the wild west feeling.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Epic miniatures nautilus ship.

Archivallains is God drat crazy but I don't think I'd ever want to print that thing FDM

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

I was thinking the same thing and this is the conclusion that I came to:

The people running these patreon's are primarily armatures, hobbyists and artists who are just starting to figure out how business works, specifically this brand new type of business. 3d printing is a young industry and hobby 3d printing is even younger, there are no experienced marketers working in this space yet so everyone is figuring it out as they go. I sometimes get frustrated by the lack of basic info (like links to stores or preview images) but then I also feel like it's a bit refreshing and exciting to see this brand new business developing. Different people are trying different approaches and seeing what works and what doesn't, and in the long run they'll sort it out.

This is very clearly the case. Some of these guys and gals are so hopeless I really want to start a business consulting for them.

I message so many of them to let them know that I'd probably be interested in signing up if I could actually see what models I would be getting (or even just have a look at their past work) and you would be amazed at the rude or clueless messages I get back. Like these people don't even go into incognito mode on their own patreon site to see what non-subs see. Absolutely hopeless!

Not to mention that Patreon is such a garbage platform for this type of stuff. There's just swarms of mini patreons hovering around the 300-600 sub mark that could make 3-10x as much for the same effort if they took their work to kickstarter instead.

And I won't even get into the stupidity of offering commercial licenses for $20 to people like me to be able to sell their models.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I decided for this month that I'm not going to do any Patreons or Kickstarters or even purchase any STLs, because I've got a shitload on my home network drive from all the stuff I've already bought or downloaded for free, so I'm just going to focus on getting some stuff printed and prepped for games like Stargrave and One Page Rules games (specifically the Skirmish variants for Grimdark Firefight and Age of Fantasy). I'll be getting into the Kickstarter for the second March to Hell WW2 campaign, but that ends next month so I decided it doesn't technically count. :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

While we are on the subject of dumb mini patreons - People who only release their models in monthly Patreon packs and then either don't put them up for sale somewhere else, or only put them for sale for a limit period - Why? Do you hate money? Why would you not simply have an ever expanding library of models that passively generate a little income for you?

It is so frustrating to be searching for something specific, only to find it was part of CoolMinis4Games Patreon pack of May 2020 and is available nowhere else.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Patreons that have a great myminifactory/cults3d whatever page are so much better. You can see old stuff and the smart people give you a voucher to get a discount there as well.

But having to go through the non-patreon patreon page and get maybe a preview of a pack alongside 50 posts you can't read is such a terrible experience for people who want me to give them money.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I feel like right now there are two needs that are not being served, somebody who's better at running a business than I am could make a few bucks with either or both.

A patreon middleware like backerkit is for kickstarter. Creators pay a small fee to get access to a bunch of tools for standardized features, like templates, content delivery, subscription rewards, loyalty programs, community management etc. All the thing currently being handled by a myriad of half-assed solutions. It seems like Myminifactory is trying to do that but they could offer a lot more.

A Tabletop Focused patreon reviewer, youtube videos or a solid blog that acquired the files, prints tons of them and then gives good reviews and showcases.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Harkano posted:

Patreons that have a great myminifactory/cults3d whatever page are so much better. You can see old stuff and the smart people give you a voucher to get a discount there as well.

It's amazing how many times I've plunked down :10bux: for a Patreon because I wanted to get the 40% or 50% (and sometimes even 60%) discount they offer their Patreons on MMF, to get the thing I really wanted to buy off there in the first place :homebrew:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

A patreon middleware like backerkit is for kickstarter. Creators pay a small fee to get access to a bunch of tools for standardized features, like templates, content delivery, subscription rewards, loyalty programs, community management etc. All the thing currently being handled by a myriad of half-assed solutions. It seems like Myminifactory is trying to do that but they could offer a lot more.
MMF is dropping the ball big time right now and it's driving me nuts. They could offer a patreon-type service and almost instantly take the vast majority patreon's market share in 3d printed minis. Why this wasn't their first priority I just don't understand. Patreon already takes 10% of the monthly subs -- imagine if MMF offered those creators fully integrated file distribution and all the other stuff you mention as part of the same 10% fee if they switch from patreon to MMF.

quote:

A Tabletop Focused patreon reviewer, youtube videos or a solid blog that acquired the files, prints tons of them and then gives good reviews and showcases.
There's a few of them out there, but this is actually a really hard thing to do (and it kind of goes back to how patreons are screwing up as well). If you're reviewing patreons you're stuck in a situation where you either try to review monthly sets or you just do a review of a cross section of previous files. In the case of monthly sets this is a huge issue because so many patreons don't even release right away. In some cases models trickle out throughout the month, in other cases they drop on the last couple of days. In other cases the unsupported files drop right away but you have to wait until mid-month to get the supported files.

If you just review patreons using a cross-section of their models is that really the best info for viewers to make any informed decisions?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

InternetJunky posted:

In the case of monthly sets this is a huge issue because so many patreons don't even release right away. In some cases models trickle out throughout the month, in other cases they drop on the last couple of days. In other cases the unsupported files drop right away but you have to wait until mid-month to get the supported files.

This seems so backwards. Maybe I'm imagining it from my own mindset too much, but it would have to be a really special Patreon for me to want to be routinely checking it throughout the month rather than to just get a full and complete monthly update with everything I'll be wanting. In fact if one kept dropping unsupported models only for there to be actual supported ones just a couple of weeks later, I might get kind of annoyed.

And I feel like sending monthly freebies to at least the notable youtube reviewers is like, a given. Why would you want not to make it as easy as possible for them to promote your stuff?

I mean I'm sure if I do end up doing this too there'll be all sorts of amateur mistakes I'll make too, but some of the way these Patreons operate is so confusing. I guess for a lot of the artists since it's just kind of a side gig they're not so worried about it, but still.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 19, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Speaking of supports, lately I've been printing my minis attached directly to their (also 3d printed) base, standing upright, instead of angling everything. Here is how I arrived at this process:

1. A flex plate really helps, in order to pop the mini off the build surface afterwards.
2. Some will call it heresy or foolishness, but I lube up the fep with some PTFE lubricant (like 3 in 1 oil). I rarely have a "mini stuck to the fep" failure with this. Maybe it's just a placebo, I dunno, but it works for me. Doing this (again, for me anyways) helps to avoid the suction issues that would make printing a large flat mini base surface difficult.
3. In MS 3D Builder, I assemble the mini to its' base (and if I feel like it, add any greebles or skulls). Sometimes, if the mini is modular, I'll assemble the whole thing fully in 3D Builder. It depends on how much I feel like rotating and aligning things in that program versus getting my fingers stuck together with superglue after it's printed and cured.
4. After saving the newly created STL file, I open it in Lychee Slicer and do a search for islands, and add automatic supports to those islands, along with manually adding supports to islands the software can't automatically support and any areas I feel could use some extra support. Keep in mind that at this point the mini is standing upright on its' base.
5. Export and print. Thus far, the only failures I've run into were parts that didn't print fully because I didn't have enough supports (such as a weapon or arm or leg that looked like a "flipper"), but usually most everything prints out fine, with the added bonus that I avoid the dilemma that occurs when you tilt a mini, and the front of it looks great, but the back or whatever gets muddled because it has a billion supports on it.
6. Cleanup. Like most everyone, after washing the mini I usually remove supports before curing. The support bases usually attach to the sides of the mini base at the bottom, but they snap away easily enough when detaching the supports, and so far I've managed to avoid taking a chunk out of the mini base itself. After it's cured, I sand away any bumps or lumps on the side of the base and elsewhere.

So, why this method? When I was looking around online for how best to orient miniatures, I ran across this article, which explains why printing most minis in an upright standing position is a good idea, since the body basically supports itself and you only need to worry about the islands that aren't supported. And having it standing on the base already also works (along with pre-assembling it in 3D Builder as well) because the entire thing is now one solid piece when printed in resin, and you don't have to fiddle around with gluing it or worrying about it somehow popping off the base when it's dropped (though parts shearing off at their thinnest point is a concern, but it's no different than plastic or metal minis in that regard). This is great when you're printing out a base that's scenic or has a particular texture or design you want, along with making the mini more a "part" of the base if you're doing something with a sandy or muddy type of texture (i.e., you can sink the mini's feet in by a millimeter or two).

The only downside is that you have to print the mini on a base (or a base topper-style texture) that is 100% flat, so it sits flat on the build plate with no need for supports on the underside (so no bases with holes for magnets pre-added). But if you do a base topper kind of thing, you can still print all of it and then plunk it down on a regular base with magnets when you're ready.

Again, not saying this is 100% the best way to do it period, but so far it seems to work really well for me. The biggest stuff I've done thus far would be like 40k Terminator or Khorne Daemon Champion-sized stuff that'd go on a 40mm base, I haven't gotten bold enough to try it with something like a Greater Daemon or what have you (though, now I have an Elegoo Saturn...). But I figured I'd just share my process. :)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

In my experience the venn diagram of good artists and people with good business sense has a very small overlap, which is why so many of them get exploited.
It makes reviewers valuable both to the customers and to the creators. If there was a prominent youtuber saying "I'd heard this guy makes great models but his patreon page just says he makes unicorn dreams and has a picture of him and his girlfriend on it instead of useful information or images of his products so I can't recommend backing him" not only would the targeted creator likely improve their page but newcomers would see that as an armature move and are less likely to do the same thing.

If I was going to do a mini-review this is how I would do it.

I'd pick a few of the prominent patreons, like the top 5-10 on that big list.
I'd back them and get the welcome pack and whatever minis were available for the first month.
I'd print the entire set, and then do a comprehensive review on each creator's starting package. I'd rate them on aesthetics, printability, ease of use, back catalog, etc. Then make a 15 minute youtube video to cash in on that sweet ad revenue.
Once I had a handful of creators covered for the basics, I'd do a weekly video highlighting all the new releases from all the lines. Maybe for extra content do a bi-weekly kickstarter roundup.

Building up a small following it could probably pay for itself, and if you got a decent following creators would start coming to you for promotion, it could be a decent side hustle.

You'd need to be both knowledgeable about the hobby and good on camera. So somebody who is those things please follow this blueprint for me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is the only youtube channel I have found that tries to do patreon reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiwElQwB98nYAH7c8BPRfPQ

If you are like me and buy tons of mini kickstarters he also does a great "this is what's coming up" video regularly. He gets criminally-low view counts for the massive effort it must take to put this together.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Again, not saying this is 100% the best way to do it period, but so far it seems to work really well for me. The biggest stuff I've done thus far would be like 40k Terminator or Khorne Daemon Champion-sized stuff that'd go on a 40mm base, I haven't gotten bold enough to try it with something like a Greater Daemon or what have you (though, now I have an Elegoo Saturn...). But I figured I'd just share my process. :)
Couple of comments/questions....

A flex plate completely changed how I print stuff, and while I don't think your method of attaching the mini to the base and then printing it would work for me I still print all my bases flat when possible. The flex plate makes this trivial, and the resin I save on not needing to support bases is significant.

Do people really have so many issues with prints not sticking to the build plates that they need third part solutions? I print about 2k minis a month across all sorts of different machines and never have this problem so I have to wonder if there is some common user error that people are making here. I get print failures, but that's always due to support issues.

quote:

The support bases usually attach to the sides of the mini base at the bottom
Couple of things you can do about this. In lychee you can move those support bases away from the print easily enough by clicking and dragging (maybe in chitubox as well I'm not sure) or you can anchor them to the print itself instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

InternetJunky posted:

This is the only youtube channel I have found that tries to do patreon reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiwElQwB98nYAH7c8BPRfPQ

I appreciate that he made this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7BWHWShjMQ

Have to say I was a bit taken aback at how rampant it still is in tabletop stuff; I hope I'm not overgeneralizing since I know there's plenty of exceptions, but lurking in e.g. minipainting discords these past couple of months I have gotten the sense that this conversation hasn't progressed nearly as much in the past 10 years in tabletop minis as it has in e.g. video games. And in the latter there's at least the excuse that having to make unique 3d animation rigs for each body type innately limits diversity; for a static sculpt it shouldn't be nearly so difficult.

Working on my own figures it has had me a bit worried about the kinds of things people will be interested in buying, although I'm personally inclined to blame the artists more than the buyers in this instance anyway. It's one of those things that I feel like might (hopefully?) interest more people if you do it well, even.