Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nice Polite Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1404561740365537283

All sins forgiven of course, slate is now clean.

"I always want to remind everyone I'm very much a normal person" is very much something a normal person would say.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1404561740365537283

All sins forgiven of course, slate is now clean.

I'm just relieved that one of her supporters must have let her come over and see their personal Hitler statue before visiting the museum, so that she could learn about something like the Holocaust.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Netanyahu was officially drummed out of power today and went out with a bang.

American conservatives are already concerned about the Israeli Deep State conspiring against Bibi.

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1404113850304237571
https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley/status/1404545186135412740
https://twitter.com/barfing_noises/status/1404134714080903174

Funnily enough, Bennett is the first prospective PM in Israel history who received Shin Bet protection prior to assuming the post specifically due to the threat posed by Bibi’s followers. This coalition government is going to be a shitshow.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question:

What are some of the top quality political podcasts? I keep hearing Behind the Bastards recommended, what episodes do people like the best, and what are some other podcasts and specific episodes that are really worth checking out?

Anything by Robert Evans is great. BtB has covered L. Ron Hubbard, Cecil Rhodes, Elon Musk, and plenty of other big name assholes. He also goes into depth on the origins of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and the many multiple ways they're bullshit, and why conspiracy theories and conspiricism always seem to fall down that particular anti-Semitic hole.

Less fun but very very good is "It Can Happen Here" which projects his experiences in Syria descending into civil war onto America. It was so plausible and depressing he had to modify the release schedule because people were becoming suicidal :v:

Also he's a goon though he doesn't post much any more.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
https://insidermag.net/survey-shows-people-no-longer-believe-working-hard-will-lead-to-a-better-life/

quote:

A growing sense of inequality is undermining trust in both society’s institutions and capitalism, according to a long-running global survey.

The 2020 Edelman Trust Barometer – now in its 20th year – has found many people no longer believe working hard will give them a better life.

Despite strong economic performance, a majority of respondents in every developed market do not believe they will be better off in five years’ time.

This means that economic growth no longer appears to drive trust, at least in developed markets – upending the conventional wisdom.

“We are living in a trust paradox,” said Richard Edelman, CEO of Edelman.

Lmao they really have no idea what the lived experience of most people has been for the past fifty years. Just continuing to conflate "economic performance" with "improving conditions" for regular people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
BREAKING: Survey reveals that millennials are not complete morons, have basic pattern recognition

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

DarkHorse posted:

Anything by Robert Evans is great. BtB has covered L. Ron Hubbard, Cecil Rhodes, Elon Musk, and plenty of other big name assholes. He also goes into depth on the origins of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and the many multiple ways they're bullshit, and why conspiracy theories and conspiricism always seem to fall down that particular anti-Semitic hole.

Less fun but very very good is "It Can Happen Here" which projects his experiences in Syria descending into civil war onto America. It was so plausible and depressing he had to modify the release schedule because people were becoming suicidal :v:

Also he's a goon though he doesn't post much any more.

Related, BtB just had a 2 part episode about the Netanyahu family and how Bibi was responsible for the rhetoric that got the previous PM Yitzhak Rabin assassinated (and presumably why the current one already had secret service protection).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Netanyahu was officially drummed out of power today and went out with a bang.

American conservatives are already concerned about the Israeli Deep State conspiring against Bibi.

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1404113850304237571
https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley/status/1404545186135412740
https://twitter.com/barfing_noises/status/1404134714080903174

id be amused if this ended with the GOP doing a 180 on Israel because the base projects their hosed up trump feelings onto bibi.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DarkHorse posted:

https://insidermag.net/survey-shows-people-no-longer-believe-working-hard-will-lead-to-a-better-life/

Lmao they really have no idea what the lived experience of most people has been for the past fifty years. Just continuing to conflate "economic performance" with "improving conditions" for regular people.

"“The informed public – wealthier, more educated, and frequent consumers of news – remain far more trusting of every institution than the mass population."

Yes...the INFORMED public of rich people who live in their bubble. And yet they're oh so shocked that people who don't have money, and don't read the same news sources, don't go to their same country clubs really don't think the same way they do.

As you said: they literally just do not get it.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, they have no idea what Mr. Mouse is going on about. There's no inequality in our gated community, well, except that Bob has gotten an extra-large heated swimming pool. But won't he be surprised when he sees our extra-large extra-deep heated and cooled swimming pool!

I have a good friend who sadly is lost (probably forever) to libertarian stupidity and his favorite thing to say is, "You cannot consume more than you produce." I used to just ignore it and let it slide but if you have a friend like this I found the three-word stake for this vampire nonsense.

"You cannot consume more than you produce."
"Donald Trump, Jr."
>blinks slowly< "Well... um... I guess... well, I mean... you know, what I'm saying is... hey let's smoke a bowl!"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It always feels nice to see a thing you already know from personal experience backed up by hard data.

Seriously, I'm glad someone finally did a study on this.
Glad it was appreciated! Found it interesting for similar reasons.

Along similar lines, a preprint about voter responses to emotional displays by candidates:
https://mobile.twitter.com/prof_mirya/status/1404766088328617987

Something I've thought about a fair amount as it comes to the rebellion against :decorum:, and the extent to which what is prized in a candidate shapes who can feasibly become that candidate-- who is allowed to be angry? To be passionate? To be plainspoken?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Without reading the paper yet I have to assume that women also can't laugh off comments from male opponents because it will make them look like dick-shrinking shrews, so basically the only option is to meekly bow your head and say "ok" no matter what wild bullshit a guy throws at you

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question:

What are some of the top quality political podcasts? I keep hearing Behind the Bastards recommended, what episodes do people like the best, and what are some other podcasts and specific episodes that are really worth checking out?

Citations Needed is my favorite political podcast and basically deals with liberal media bullshit and how to be more media literate. Plenty of stuff on the Israeli apartheid recently, but they have recent episodes on plenty of other topics as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Failed Imagineer posted:

Without reading the paper yet I have to assume that women also can't laugh off comments from male opponents because it will make them look like dick-shrinking shrews, so basically the only option is to meekly bow your head and say "ok" no matter what wild bullshit a guy throws at you

Basically.

Women don't seem to be punished for being emotional - except when it comes to anger or showing softness on foreign policy/crime/violence issues.

Women with lower voice pitches and less aggressive facial expressions or body language are rated more positively.

Voters on average will "punish women for anger displays and reward her happiness and general emotional displays."

Voters also assess candidates based on existing narratives - so, candidates perceived as "dumb" will be punished more for making a dumb mistake than a candidate who is generally perceived as smart. Female candidates who are perceived as weak or unfriendly are overly penalized for being seen as weak or unfriendly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mind_Taker posted:

Citations Needed is my favorite political podcast and basically deals with liberal media bullshit and how to be more media literate. Plenty of stuff on the Israeli apartheid recently, but they have recent episodes on plenty of other topics as well.
I tried that one but it was just too dry most of the time for my liking

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

Glad it was appreciated! Found it interesting for similar reasons.

Along similar lines, a preprint about voter responses to emotional displays by candidates:
https://mobile.twitter.com/prof_mirya/status/1404766088328617987

Something I've thought about a fair amount as it comes to the rebellion against :decorum:, and the extent to which what is prized in a candidate shapes who can feasibly become that candidate-- who is allowed to be angry? To be passionate? To be plainspoken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yC7-JsR2Fk

This is interesting in light of the "Her Opponent" experiment, where they found that making Trump a woman actually made him more sympathetic to the mostly liberal audience.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You also have examples of politicians like Rashida Tlaib who aren't afraid to be bold and outspoken and have benefited from it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question:

Nth-ing BtB. Here's a good series they did regarding the American police force.

Behind the Police: Slavery, Mass Murder and the Birth of American Policing
Behind the Police: How the First Police Went From Gangsters, To An Army For The Rich
Behind the Police: The History of American Police and the Ku Klux Klan
Behind the Police: How Police Defeated Lynching Via Torture
Behind the Police: How Police Unions Made Cops Even Deadlier
Behind the Police: How the Police Declared War On All Of Us

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They also did a series last summer called Uprising that catalogued the Portland protests (he was there on the ground). Really wide-reaching and eye-opening.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question:

Congress Two Beers In is my favorite political podcast, but it is released irregularly. It goes a little more into detail on procedure and stuff like that than other podcasts. The hosts have experience as staffers and working at the CRI so they bring some inside knowledge about congressional institutions, their political radar can be off however. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/congress-two-beers-in/id1324650724

Know Your Enemy is more about the intellectual history of various conservative affiliated movements in the US and can be hit or miss but some episodes are fantastic like https://know-your-enemy-1682b684.simplecast.com/episodes/w-john-ganz-XWWhKMrK

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question:

Citations Needed is mandatory since it continues to be increasingly relevant each day. It's real good at presenting a leftist critique of the way the media chooses to present the news for all sorts of topics.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I tried that one but it was just too dry most of the time for my liking

It can get pretty dry for sure (especially when they present their argument at the beginning of the episode and repeat a lot of it later in the episode with their guest) but on the flip side I feel like that dryness can make it a more palatable listen for people whose main sources of news is CNN/MSNBC/etc.

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 15, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Christ, did John Stewart really boost that nonsense Project Veritas story back in the day? That sucks.

He also entirely endorsed the lab leak on national television, and there has been zero blowback to his social media unlike others pushing conspiracy theories.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Nonsense posted:

He also entirely endorsed the lab leak on national television, and there has been zero blowback to his social media unlike others pushing conspiracy theories.

Are you shocked that the lab leak conspiracy is entering the mainstream, even among liberals? Biden took Trump's sinophobic horseshit and promoted it as a real possibility.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57260009

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah, the lab leak theory is making rounds among the liberal olds. My mother is an MSNBC watcher and brought it up. The coincidence of the Wuhan lab is too much for these people to accept. They want it to be a purposeful leak so they can punish someone.

It's loving awful and helps nothing.

Zoonosis is still the likely cause, but good luck convincing anyone that doesn't want to be.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You'd hope that people can connect the obvious dots that something might be discovered in a place where they have means to discover it?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The lab leak theory is catnip for people who want to blame someone else and not face the reality that America's response to a pandemic was a systemic failure on every possible level. And now that it's not Trump or his cronies pushing that conspiracy plenty of liberal folks no longer feel like it's entrenched in racism.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There is also a difference between a "purposeful" leak and a scenario where the source was the lab or because they brought in a sample, etc.

Even the WHO report that China co-wrote says that it is possible, but very unlikely.

I think most people arguing it aren't doing it based on the WHO report, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Jon Stewart is a never meet your heroes moment.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
The GOP base has decided they'd rather win by the bullet box than the ballot box. How many of these cowards are going to do something stupid, and how much State government support will they have?

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-trump-georgia-threats

EDIT: Yes they're still getting threats in June, and they'll probably work in 2022.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 15, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

CommieGIR posted:

Jon Stewart is a never meet your heroes moment.

He seemed pretty cool 10 years ago on the daily show but everytime he comes on Colberts show now he just seems odd.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bishyaler posted:

Are you shocked that the lab leak conspiracy is entering the mainstream, even among liberals? Biden took Trump's sinophobic horseshit and promoted it as a real possibility.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57260009

It is a real possibility. It's happened before, multiple times. The question is how that possibility is handled.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Thom12255 posted:

He seemed pretty cool 10 years ago on the daily show but everytime he comes on Colberts show now he just seems odd.

That's nostalgia mostly. Stewart did some good things, but he also amplified and platformed some really terrible people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Stewart left his show at the right time it seems

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The lab leak theory is impossible to fully disprove so just accept that it'll be a conspiracy theory forever

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's nostalgia mostly. Stewart did some good things, but he also amplified and platformed some really terrible people.

I don't really get why he did so much stuff with Bill Orielly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Stewart left his show at the right time it seems

yeah. the only late night polilitical stuff i watch is john oliver sometimes, outside that its all podcasts and youtube and poo poo.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

yeah. he did some genuinely good poo poo but he is a product of his time mixed with going up his own rear end. Colbert is still a cool and good dude though.

haveblue posted:

The lab leak theory is impossible to fully disprove so just accept that it'll be a conspiracy theory forever

i can believe it sorta to the degree of "some dude hosed up and got contaminated and it mixed with poo poo in the wild and thats that, but outside that, i think its probably natural or something.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

I don't really get why he did so much stuff with Bill Orielly.

The idea of 'just look how awful this thing/person is. Surely if I act like an adult and point out how awful this is then everyone will see it and agree it is awful.' was extremely strong back then, and was a huge part of his schtick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Honestly he said some pretty lovely things back then too if you look back on it, like the transphobic jokes he made that I don't have on hand but I'm sure someone has a handy link to

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The idea of 'just look how awful this thing/person is. Surely if I act like an adult and point out how awful this is then everyone will see it and agree it is awful.' was extremely strong back then, and was a huge part of his schtick.

It really feels like a lot of people still believe that it's a plan that works and it sucks so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thom12255 posted:

If people couldn't tell he was kind of an idiot after the rally to restore sanity, well...