Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

ZFS vs BTRFS is clearly such an important issue that I think it should be given its own dedicated thread.
own dedicated subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
btrfs and refs are the only two filesystems I've ever lost data to because of a power outage, both of which are filesystems whose purpose in life was to be scalable *and* reliable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
scalable or reliable, pick none

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
more like 💤fs

animist
Aug 28, 2018
is brtfs one of those projects where they're like "we're gonna do everything better than everybody else cause you're all too dumb to make a good filesystem" and then repeatedly fall flat on their faces

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's more like open source developers copying an enterprise product and falling flat on their faces

(in before thread title)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's actually astonishing how poo poo btrfs is. They designed a COW file system and then added a flag to turn off COW to look better in benchmarks. They managed to reimplement the raid write hole which would've been easy to avoid because, you know, COW.

And then there's this listed on the gotcha page:

raid1 volumes only mountable once RW if degraded

The whole loving point of redundancy is to stay online and working until the broken part is replaced and they can't even do that. :psyduck:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

rw? if degraded? why would you want to mount rw if degraded

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why isnt there any zfs bashing here? can you shrink volumes yet? excessive memory use?

i've only ever lost data to xfs, and i've used btrfs on everything since 2014

even have a raid6 going for years. the only caveat with raid56 and btrfs now is that you should scrub if you suffer a power failure (write hole)

(never combine lvm and btrfs though)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

and then added a flag to turn off COW to look better in benchmarks

now you're just trolling

are you saying that zfs cant turn off CoW on a per file/dir basis? how the hell can you run a database or a vm then

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You just run your db or vm like normal‽ :confused:

You can turn off a lot of extra work your db engine is doing due to the assumed no-COW-ness of your fs, though.

Tankakern posted:

rw? if degraded? why would you want to mount rw if degraded

To keep the system operational until the drive can be replaced. That's the whole point of having redundancy.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no wonder noone uses zfs for other than nas stuff

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I only use ntfs because I use the correct operating system :chord:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
What a bunch of turds. Fat32 is all you need.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

shoeberto posted:

What a bunch of turds. Fat32 is all you need.

if we're talking about turds, you're going to have to split your posts in half on fat32

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:hehe:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
operating system poopknifing

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

To be honest, fat32 is a dang simple filesystem to implement and is perfect for a single user operating system with limited resources.

Or an sd card.

The only real annoyance is the long file name implementation which is admittedly genious when allowing backwards compatibility but also a pain to code.

And I can see the forward compatibility thinking that went into putting in unicode but it smacks of the whole "640k is enough for anyone" when it was hardcoded to be UTF16. On the other hand, this sort of thing probably makes system programming a little easier to secure, though.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Thought it might be neat to try GhostBSD for the hell of it but if one was to dick around with an alternate OS might as well run Haiku then

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it wasn't hard coded to be UTF-16, it was hard coded to be Unicode.

Unicode wasn't enlarged to a maximum of 1,112,064 code points until 1996

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Thought it might be neat to try GhostBSD for the hell of it but if one was to dick around with an alternate OS might as well run Haiku then

stay safe unix ghost

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximo Roboto posted:

performance wise haiku is amazing. i can't imagine what i'd actually use it for, but it runs great

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

plasma 5.22 is out

https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/5.22.0/

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

freesync support in wayland might be a big deal

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nice that both of the major desktops are in pretty feature complete for wayland. the only major feature remaining is color management, which is understandably a huge, complicated feature given that in the last couple of years you suddenly have a lot more to consider, and getting it all to display properly on a mixed-use desktop is hard to get right

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

this is gonna royally piss off some of you

i needed to quickly check out the stability of a three-GET api call chain, so i wrote an almost trivial bash script with curl

however, the times it printed out were off. instead of fractions of a second, it printed out integers in the million. the manual said the unit of time for -w should just be seconds

googled it, turned out to be a bug in 7.74, fixed in the next release. cool.

my debian-based distro didn't have 7.75+ in any repository. welp

tried downgrading to 7.73, apt told me i had broken dependencies and i had no clue how to fix them. presumably i should have looked up the right version of every dependency and manually downgrade them

tried downloading the 7.77 source code and compiling it, after a minute checking for useful stuff like whether I was running a HP-UX system it figured out i had to install openssl to compile

i was about to do so, when i had a moment of inspiration and typed:

code:
alias curl='docker run --rm curlimages/curl'
everything immediately worked with just the barest of delays before each curl invocation. hail satan

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

idgi. isnt running specific versions of things exactly what docker is for?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Jessie frazelle welcome to the forums

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm more mad that distros have such stupid poo poo that they do with curl. We have to install PPA backports of curl from Debian on our Ubuntu machines because Ubuntu disables SFTP by default, because reasons???

Clever workaround though imo. Can't wait until someone deploys it in prod and a decade later another yosposter shows up itt saying "look at this dumb poo poo I found when debugging latency issues"

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

shoeberto posted:

Clever workaround though imo. Can't wait until someone deploys it in prod and a decade later another yosposter shows up itt saying "look at this dumb poo poo I found when debugging latency issues"

that's job security for the future

animist
Aug 28, 2018
when you get taken to the devops Ministry of Love you learn that the future is docker images getting put inside other docker images, forever

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

shoeberto posted:

if i had to run the script in prod i would have used docker from the start, except i would have copied the image to a private repo and pinned the tag

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

animist posted:

when you get taken to the devops Ministry of Love you learn that the future is docker images getting put inside other docker images, forever

docking

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Meanwhile, on Freenode:

quote:

[root] [Global Notice 1/3] We are moving past legacy freenode to a new fork. The new freenode is launched. You will slowly be disconnected and when you reconnect, you will be on the new freenode. We patiently await to welcome you in freedom's holdout - the freenode.
[root] [Global Notice 2/3] If you're looking to connect now, you can already /server chat.freenode.net 6697 (ssl) or 6667 (plaintext). It's a new genesis for a new era. Thank you for using freenode, and Hello World, from the future. freenode is IRC. freenode is FOSS.
[root] [Global Notice 3/3] When you connect, register your nickname and your channel and get started. It's a new world. We're so happy to welcome you and the millions of others.

So they split the network into two independent networks, using completely different services and account databases. No migration, no prior announcement. The old network is also netsplit itself.

Nobody knows why they are moving a new ircd, but a developer of the one they are moving to said this:

quote:

I reiterate what I have said elsewhere: we (InspIRCd) will not work with the new freenode team and if they turn up in any of our project spaces they will be banned on sight.
This whole saga is just… i don't know…

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

quote:

Another upgrade is that you can now select the audio devices' profiles directly from the Audio Volume widget in System Tray. This means, you can switch the audio output from the internal loudspeakers to, say, your TV via HDMI in just three clicks and without having to go through the audio configuration dialog. Just click on the hamburger menu beside the device you want to change and pick Profiles… from the drop down menu.

feel like this change has been coming for a while, good to see they made this better

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Meanwhile, on Freenode:

So they split the network into two independent networks, using completely different services and account databases. No migration, no prior announcement. The old network is also netsplit itself.

Nobody knows why they are moving a new ircd, but a developer of the one they are moving to said this:

This whole saga is just… i don't know…

they're moving to a new ircd because everyone who knew how the old ircd+servicesd worked quit and started libera. "freenode" has literally no knowledgeable sysops at all anymore

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That shouldn't be a problem, they could just go to their ircd's channel and ask for help :classiclol:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tankakern posted:

why isnt there any zfs bashing here? can you shrink volumes yet? excessive memory use?

i've only ever lost data to xfs, and i've used btrfs on everything since 2014

even have a raid6 going for years. the only caveat with raid56 and btrfs now is that you should scrub if you suffer a power failure (write hole)

(never combine lvm and btrfs though)

it just works for me. i don't have anything to complain about

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

I would like to personally apologize on behalf of this thread for not doing enough zfs bashing to satisfy you as a diehard btrfs fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

freenode is gonna transform into just another freezepeach shithole that inevitably collapses under the weight of its own technical incompetence and toxic community. Just a shame it had to happen to the shell of something that was once a trusted name.