Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Thom12255 posted:

I don't really get why he did so much stuff with Bill Orielly.

Bill O'Reilly, Bill Kristol, and Mike Huckabee were frequent guests on the Daily Show because they all:

- Were conservatives who were willing to appear multiple times.

and

- Were constantly on book tours.

That is really it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think people forget about the book/whatever media promotion aspect of the show like all talk shows.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The real problem with the lab leak theory is that it normalizes "correlation = causation" as a thought process, which is a huge victory for the anti-truth movement.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The idea of 'just look how awful this thing/person is. Surely if I act like an adult and point out how awful this is then everyone will see it and agree it is awful.' was extremely strong back then, and was a huge part of his schtick.

Admittedly it worked pretty well on Tucker Carlson. That Tucker was able to eventually crawl back is another issue, but Stewart punted him out of the game for a good while.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Back then it felt like all mass media was completely up Bush's rear end. So Jon Stewart being slightly not up Bush's rear end made him stand out in a good way, even if we can look back now and say "yikes" about a lot of his stuff under a 2021 standard.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

-Blackadder- posted:

Admittedly it worked pretty well on Tucker Carlson. That Tucker was able to eventually crawl back is another issue, but Stewart punted him out of the game for a good while.

It only seemed to radicalize him into probably one of the most dangerous fascists on the air so I don't know if I would count that as a win

Kind of reminds me of another time a prominent conservative got humiliated on air and took revenge on the nation for it

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Feldegast42 posted:

It only seemed to radicalize him into probably one of the most dangerous fascists on the air so I don't know if I would count that as a win

Kind of reminds me of another time a prominent conservative got humiliated on air and took revenge on the nation for it

I mean, honestly there may be some truth to that, but I thought we weren't accepting the argument that we're pushing conservatives toward Nazism by being mean to them on twitter. Isn't there even a cartoon about it?

e:
https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1027247065783574528

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 15, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The lab leak theory also neatly sidesteps the issue that the research was saying 'Hey guys these viruses are running rampant in animals that live very close to large numbers of people and it's only a small mutation away from being a serious danger, possibly even a global pandemic!', and yet nothing was done to mitigate it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Tucker seems to be more of a grifter and opportunist than an ideologue. He would be preaching about the workers' control of the means of production if he got paid enough to do it.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Thom12255 posted:

He seemed pretty cool 10 years ago on the daily show but everytime he comes on Colberts show now he just seems odd.

Brain rot after retirement when you don't have anything productive to occupy your time is very real. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Jon pulled a Disney on his writers after the writers guild strike a while back so he can gently caress off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Jon pulled a Disney on his writers after the writers guild strike a while back so he can gently caress off.

I blame it on Jon hanging around NYPD guys too much for his 9/11 stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Let's assume someone from the lab accidently (or nefariously on purpose!) let a deadly virus out into the wild (with Wuhan as ground zero)

So what? how does that put the genie back in the bottle? how does that make the lack of response with months of forewarning better? how does it make the CDC's "WASH YOUR VEGGIES AND CEREAL WITH SOAP" and "masks probably don't do anything" early response any better?

I don't really understand what the point of Jon's 8 minute rant about the "Wuhan Coronavirus" was and it was weird.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 15, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Let's assume someone from the lab accidently (or nefariously on purpose!) let a deadly virus out into the wild.

So what? how does that put the genie back in the bottle? how does that make the lack of response with months of forewarning better? how does it make the CDC's "WASH YOUR VEGGIES AND CEREAL WITH SOAP" and "masks probably don't do anything" early response any better?

I don't really understand what the point of Jon's 8 minute rant about the "Wuhan Coronavirus" was and it was weird.

Like I said, many people are looking for something or someone to blame. it's really easy to blame some faceless people in Wuhan China than it is to realize that Dr Fauci and the CDC may not actually have your best interest at heart.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "China was warned in advance and all masked up and vaccinated themselves with their own secret vaccines prior to the virus getting out" similar to the "Jews stayed home on 9/11" thing.

Or if there has I guess I just tuned it out as so much white noise

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Giuliani and Meadows were trying real hard to stage a coup

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1404810715932905475

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1404811430847827974

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

Tucker seems to be more of a grifter and opportunist than an ideologue. He would be preaching about the workers' control of the means of production if he got paid enough to do it.

Idea forna goon project. Let's crowdfund Tucker's new Communism, Now show.

Dubar posted:

The real problem with the lab leak theory is that it normalizes "correlation = causation" as a thought process, which is a huge victory for the anti-truth movement.
Sometimes it's the right thing to check though. If an airliner blows up mid-air in Tehran while the air defense is on high alert, it's not unreasonable to check if someone was a bit trigger happy, because it's not unlikely compared to the chances of it just exploding randomly.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Let's assume someone from the lab accidently (or nefariously on purpose!) let a deadly virus out into the wild (with Wuhan as ground zero)

Can't speak for Jon or Trumpers here obviously.

But it's absolutely important to find out the origin of the outbreak, at the very least to fix the procedures that led to the virus escaping containment if it did get out of a lab.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The idea of 'just look how awful this thing/person is. Surely if I act like an adult and point out how awful this is then everyone will see it and agree it is awful.' was extremely strong back then, and was a huge part of his schtick.

This is *still* the MO of the institutional Democratic party. It's so loving damaging.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It doesn't in terms of the current pandemic, but a thorough, scientific, and public study of how the virus mutated and how the current pandemic came to be seems like the kind of thing that probably saves trillions of dollars and millions of lives in the future.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Like I said, many people are looking for something or someone to blame. it's really easy to blame some faceless people in Wuhan China than it is to realize that Dr Fauci and the CDC may not actually have your best interest at heart.

Uh... why do you think that Fauci was intentionally helping spread to COVID?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a pretense for war. Deep down, they know that. They want to warmonger, they're jonesing for it.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Hellblazer187 posted:

Back then it felt like all mass media was completely up Bush's rear end. So Jon Stewart being slightly not up Bush's rear end made him stand out in a good way, even if we can look back now and say "yikes" about a lot of his stuff under a 2021 standard.

Plenty of people were saying "yikes" back then but they were drowned out by the idiot libs hootering and hollering every time he claimed the truth was in the middle and did a funny face at the camera.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. he did some genuinely good poo poo but he is a product of his time mixed with going up his own rear end. Colbert is still a cool and good dude though.

Stephen Colbert had Henry loving Kissinger on as a 'friend of the show' multiple times so he can gently caress right off too.

Also he killed Harvey Birdman, which is arguably a greater sin.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a pretense for war. Deep down, they know that. They want to warmonger, they're jonesing for it.

Nobody's going to start a war with China.

There is a drive to isolate China geopolitically, and the virus stuff may be useful for that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You beat me to it. I was going to say that what unsettles me about the "Wuhan lab" conspiracy is not so much that a conspiracy theory is gaining so much mainstream attention, but that it feels similar to the WMD lie leading up to the Iraq war in 2003.

e: Even if it's not a shooting war, it feels like the country is priming itself for a cold war of sorts with China for....reasons? I don't really understand the motives other than racism.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Tucker is an heir to a tv dinner fortune and probably makes more walking to the mailbox every month than he does from his tv gig.

He is documented, since his early days in the 90s on random DC public access news shows, to be obsessed with race. He was mildly restrained while at CNN but left that gig to buy Newsmax and turn it into even more of a right wing rag before ending up back at Fox news where he's become what we know now.

Hannity is a grifter. He's some dumb former shock jock with barely a semester of college education.

Tucker is the real deal.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Seems like a bad idea to discount an origin theory out of hand because it might be used to further a racist message. Objectively examining things like this isn’t an attempt to re-bottle the genie, but understand and identify failures - the same objectivity should be applied to the response, but root causes are equally important.

I’ll agree that natural transmission is the more likely theory at this point, but there’s smoking gun evidence missing there, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

You beat me to it. I was going to say that what unsettles me about the "Wuhan lab" conspiracy is not so much that a conspiracy theory is gaining so much mainstream attention, but that it feels similar to the WMD lie leading up to the Iraq war in 2003.

e: Even if it's not a shooting war, it feels like the country is priming itself for a cold war of sorts with China for....reasons? I don't really understand the motives other than racism.

It seems weird that you have enough imagination to be certain that "they" are starting a war with China, but even in the scenario where you are correct, you literally can't think of a single reason why anyone would have a conflict with China except for anti-asian racism?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Deteriorata posted:

Nobody's going to start a war with China.

There is a drive to isolate China geopolitically, and the virus stuff may be useful for that.

Indeed, pretty much everyone, on both the left and right, and both in the U.S. and U.S. allies are starting to get worried about China's rising global influence and power. No idea if the fears are legit or if it's just bog standard racism, but if there's any current government that seems like it would be an even more vicious and cruel global leader than the U.S., it's China.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

PeterCat posted:

He's now against the AUMF he voted for?

He's not allowed to change his mind? It has been nearly two decades, after all.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

it seems like the ruling class realize how divided and close to civil war the country is and is doing the classic "build up and start a (cold) war against an enemy to rally everyone around the flag" play

This, uh, hasn't worked that well historically in the past, especially when the country in question is decayed to the roots

And given that they aren't doing anything to stop democracy from being subverted it especially doesn't seem very bright at this point

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 15, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If nothing else it definitely feels like it's leading up to an economic war with excuses to do more sanctions & tariffs, which feels odd to do while talking about inflation concerns because that sure as heck ain't gonna help with consumer prices.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Srice posted:

If nothing else it definitely feels like it's leading up to an economic war with excuses to do more sanctions & tariffs, which feels odd to do while talking about inflation concerns because that sure as heck ain't gonna help with consumer prices.

We literally just lifted the majority of tariffs on China a few months ago and one of the long-standing goals of the US has been to get China to agree to bilateral tariff waivers.

If this was their goal, then they are doing a very bad job at it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

it seems like the ruling class realize how divided and close to civil war the country is and is doing the classic "build up and start a (cold) war against an enemy to rally everyone around the flag" play

This, uh, hasn't worked that well historically in the past, especially when the country in question is decayed to the roots

Yeah, rechannel all of the discontent into a foreign enemy that, conveniently, is responsible for the pandemic we've been dealing with.

To answer LeonTrotsky: I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all the sources of the conflict with China, but it seems like a combination of some legitimate concerns with a lot of racism.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

-Blackadder- posted:

Indeed, pretty much everyone, on both the left and right, and both in the U.S. and U.S. allies are starting to get worried about China's rising global influence and power. No idea if the fears are legit or if it's just bog standard racism, but if there's any current government that seems like it would be an even more vicious and cruel global leader than the U.S., it's China.

China hasn't been invading and occupying other countries for the better part of a century for reasons like "communism bad" and "oil good". They're kicking the poo poo out of us economically because the ownership class in the US decided that outsourcing all of our production for cheap labor was a great move that would never backfire.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

China hasn't been invading and occupying other countries for the better part of a century

I have some bad news for you...

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Not exactly USpol but stuff like this has a way of becoming fodder for the anti-nuoe crowds and something I feel is news worthy globally.

https://twitter.com/austinramzy/status/1404292778046021634?s=19

As of now it seems minor, but it's hard to say how transparent everyone is being. Also doesn't help with the currently slew of asian hatred going on ☹️

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bishyaler posted:

China hasn't been invading and occupying other countries for the better part of a century for reasons like "communism bad" and "oil good". They're kicking the poo poo out of us economically because the ownership class in the US decided that outsourcing all of our production for cheap labor was a great move that would never backfire.

I guess you might have a point with the "communism bad" part. But even just looking at the past decade, you should probably pay more attention to what they've been doing in the South China Sea: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southchinasea-china-drilling/china-drills-deep-in-disputed-south-china-sea-idUSKBN2BV21L

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 15, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yC7-JsR2Fk

This is interesting in light of the "Her Opponent" experiment, where they found that making Trump a woman actually made him more sympathetic to the mostly liberal audience.
While interesting, "experiment" is a wild overstatement of:

quote:

That question inspired a new play that restages parts of the three 2016 presidential debates word-for-word and gesture-for-gesture – but with a woman depicting Donald Trump and a man playing Hillary Clinton.

Her Opponent was performed on Saturday night in New York City. On Friday, a rehearsal raised unexpected questions, some of them troubling. For instance, was the real Trump’s rhetoric offensive to liberals because it was delivered by a repugnant reality TV star?
Particularly given that the context is a social science study which is, even if you consider it lacking in rigor, entirely different than experimental theater.

SKULL.GIF posted:

You also have examples of politicians like Rashida Tlaib who aren't afraid to be bold and outspoken and have benefited from it.
You certainly do! And she's done quite well in her (heavily Dem, majority-Black) district. When we start seeing more statewide and national success for women (and particularly woc) who eschew decorum, I'll find more reason to question my assumptions (women in politics are penalized for many of the traits found to be neutral or prized in male politicians) and the findings from the above linked study.

In the meantime, I do think it's worth all of us looking at the literature and evaluating for ourselves how much of what we see as "not afraid" (as you say above), "authentic", and "effective messaging" in our politicians is more burdensome or comes with greater risks for politicos who aren't white men.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The last nail in Jon's coffin

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1404764279593701380?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We literally just lifted the majority of tariffs on China a few months ago and one of the long-standing goals of the US has been to get China to agree to bilateral tariff waivers.

If this was their goal, then they are doing a very bad job at it.

It's really weird that all the "WE'RE GOING TO WAR WITH CHINA!!1!" folks keep ignoring this, or the fact that we still have normal diplomatic relations with China. None of the recent cyberattacks have been attributed to China either, so I really don't understand the origins of this conspiracy theory.