Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't there already a Japanese voice option for LiS? Dunno about BtS.

Also give us the hospital ending, cowards.

Dunno about the other versions but you definitely can’t change the audio language in the PS4 version of either of the first two games.

Also there’s a few more screenshots from the remaster on the main website and it looks way nicer there than the trailer made it out to be.

As for True Colors, like I said Alex’s Nova ability is giving me major Twin Mirror flashbacks but it could be interesting at least. Also since you can apparently flat out take people’s emotions from them I wonder if it’s also possible to give said emotions to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like the remasters will be dropping on September 30th, not sure if they’ve announced a release date for the bonus Steph episode of True Colors yet though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They really should have licenced the Cindy Lauper song "True Colors", even if it goes against the indie music style of the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’d love it if they used one of Hannah Telle’s songs in an LiS game one day (or even hire her to do some of the music). I’m sure she’d gladly be onboard for it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I’d love it if they used one of Hannah Telle’s songs in an LiS game one day (or even hire her to do some of the music). I’m sure she’d gladly be onboard for it.

She did a cover of Obstacles that I love.

Also you can tell the footage from the remastered trailer is old because the screenshots on the Steam page look waaaaaaay better

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

She did a cover of Obstacles that I love.

Also you can tell the footage from the remastered trailer is old because the screenshots on the Steam page look waaaaaaay better

Yeah, I wonder if they just accidentally used an earlier build for the trailer or something because the screenshots look much better.

I assume that BtS will include Farewell and the rest of the Deluxe content already built in to the remastered edition (I don’t see why they wouldn’t anyway)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They really should have licenced the Cindy Lauper song "True Colors", even if it goes against the indie music style of the series.

A soulful jangly acoustic guitar cover of Ice-T's "Colors"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m just glad the characters in the first game can emote properly now (which is really all I wanted out of a remake anyway).

Hopefully they ironed out some of the bugs as well such as some gameplay glitches involving the Rewind power and Max’s impromptu ventriloquism act in Episode 5.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Found these on reddit. Most of the remaster comparisons during the trailer were a bit lacking in impact but these two side by side look massively different. The lighting and shadow effects are a big improvement and it looks like they are adding hair physics. I know they talked up the mo-cap for character animations, but I'd be surprised if they did too much to improve facial animations besides making the lips sync up better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The faces still look better in the screenshots though which adds credence to my current theory that the trailer was just taken from an incomplete build of the game and what’s presented to us on the Steam page is the final version.

Hell, even BtS looks better and those models were already probably the most expressive ones we’ve had in the franchise so far in the original version

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everyone can stop asking: Life is Strange, Before the Storm AND True Colors are all coming to Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4zG-PcVTE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone can stop asking: Life is Strange, Before the Storm AND True Colors are all coming to Switch.

About time, I wonder if LiS2/Captain Spirit will get ported eventually as well.

That little animation was fun too, now I kind of want to see a Life is Strange cartoon done in that style.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious how well True Colors is going to actually RUN on the Switch from a technical standpoint though unless it’s a cloud stream game or they scaled things down considerably

But hopefully it’ll turn out ok

Also Chloe Price and/or Max Caulfield for Smash please.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder who financed that video.

With the recent trend for trying to turn video games into anime series, especially on Netflix, Life is Strange has a pretty good recipe for success. Small town mystery, queer characters, the two main VAs are big animation industry names, a massive fanbase. With Netflix experimenting with CYOA episodes for live action they might even be able to pull off a "choose your outcome" in a short run series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, Hannah Telle has done other VA work in the past (I know Ashly’s done a bunch at least)? Or were you referring to someone else?

But seriously, a Life is Strange animated series/movie could work great in my opinion.

I think they announced something about a live action webseries or something. way back when BTS was still new but that’s likely long dead now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think at one point Life is Strange was optioned for a digital series, but like many video game adaptations, nothing ever came of it. I'd hella watch an animated adaptation though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think at one point Life is Strange was optioned for a digital series, but like many video game adaptations, nothing ever came of it. I'd hella watch an animated adaptation though.

Yeah, it seems like it’d be a perfect fit for a Netflix show or something provided it was handled right (plus Ashly Burch at the very least would probably be stoked to come back and she’s no stranger to the animation industry herself)

Also out of curiosity, anybody know who did the animation for the trailer?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For some reason the original video got removed. Fortunately, they reuploaded it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FVOE2PxYNl0

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In comics news, it seems the current Max & Chloe arc will finally end with the story following the one starting next month but the comic itself will continue on afterwards:

https://gizmodo.com/life-is-stranges-max-and-chloe-will-say-goodbye-in-thei-1847164379

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is that issue ever actually going to come out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Is that issue ever actually going to come out

The next issue drops this Wednesday in fact (and there’s a Free Comic Book Day exclusive issue coming out next month that will feature Steph as well as Alex from True Colors).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 6, 2021

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

The next issue drops this Wednesday in fact (and there’s a Free Comic Book Day exclusive issue coming out later this month that will feature Steph as well as Alex from True Colors).

I thought that was August 14th?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

I thought that was August 14th?

Huh I’d heard late July, nevermind then. The main comic definitely resumes this week at least.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Huh I’d heard late July, nevermind then. The main comic definitely resumes this week at least.

This said Aug 14th I don't know if it changed

https://twitter.com/lifeisstrange/status/1382007022481199107?s=21

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nope you’re right, I’d just remembered wrong. Nevermind that part then.

Speaking of, there haven’t been any further details regarding that issue released recently have there?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 6, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Issue 1 of Coming Home (that is, the next arc of the LiS comic) dropped today and it puts the pieces on the board for Max’s return home.

Interesting things in the issue:

Pixie does have a power. She can see into other realities, and has been living thinking she has a really amped up imagination. That is, until she became more skeptical once weird stuff started happen in both timelines due to Max and Tristan using of their powers. She has been aware of this strangeness since the end of the dust arc in the BAE timeline where she could no longer feel Max anywhere, and knew BAE Chloe was lying to now being able to feel Max everywhere in the BAE timeline along with having visions of a living Rachel Amber.

We are starting to see how coordination across both timelines will work; Max being able to reverse time and change events such as Tristan being able to move between realities while not being able to easily see where he is going and Pixie being able to see into both timelines.

We have numerous pricefield as friends moments as [spoiler{Max and LA Chloe make up in the caves, as briefly seen in the issue preview. They have a chance to talk about there relationship as friends and have a laugh at the prospect of them being a couple in the LA timeline.[/spoiler]

There are a bunch of cute character moments between the supporting cast, including Victoria and it seems that BAE Chloe thinks she may be significant to returning Max home. Victoria continues to show growth from her high school self

LA Pixie is recruited to help and when Max demonstrates her rewind powers by unspilling cold coffee off Pixie, the coffee post rewind was now boiling hot.; So more time shenanigans are inbound and may indicate another third party (another Max?) is interacting with both timelines

It is going to be interesting to see how this wraps up over the next issue and the Settling Dust arc.

The True Colors backup feature was a brief three pages and covered the start of Alex’s journey by coach to Haven Springs to live with her brother Gabe. As we know from the preview material she is aware of her empathy power, at least to the extent, that she can see other people’s auras. She also appears to be quite introverted as she uses her smartphone to display her destination to the coach driver.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New True Colors video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YF418T1Y1MQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So you can waste all your time playing arcade games at the bar instead of solving the mystery of your brother's death, just like Shenmue. GOTY already.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

So you can waste all your time playing arcade games at the bar instead of solving the mystery of your brother's death, just like Shenmue. GOTY already.

About par for the course for this series really (LiS gave you the chance to stop and take photographs during a cataclysmic storm after all)

On another note, I’m curious what the collectables in this game will be (LiS had photos, BTS had graffiti, LiS2 had souvenirs and drawings, and while not technically part of the series Tell Me Why had wooden figurines)

Also there better be some D&D and/or LARPing with Steph at some point

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The really funny photographs are the ones Max takes in the nightmare sequence, knowing they aren't real but still insisting on taking them as "evidence" :V

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also Max and Chloe’s uncanny ability to write whole pages in their diaries (complete with drawings/stickers) within seconds despite having little opportunity to actually do so going by the game itself.

The first Life is Strange also breaks its own rules regarding time travel twice in the first episode:

-When Max rewinds she normally stays in the same place (and can only go back a couple minutes at most), but the first time she does it she somehow warps all the way back to her classroom at the start of the day.

-Max normally keeps any items/photographs in her possession when she rewinds, but if you take a photo of David hassling Kate or Victoria covered in paint and then rewind to make another choice Max will no longer have those photos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One month to go, get hype!

https://twitter.com/LiS_Timer/status/1425149049821335560

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I know the remasters are coming out on the 24th (or something along those lines) but do we have a release date for the bonus episode Wavelengths yet?

Also if you preordered the Ultimate edition does that mean you’ll get everything at once or will the other stuff not be available until the proper release date (or do we know for sure yet)?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I hope it’s not terrible. I don’t have any reason to think it will be, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems closer to the feel of the original game from what we’ve seen so far than LiS2 was at least (and I liked LiS2) so I’m optimistic so far, plus my favorite BtS character is a major player this time around so that’s something as well.

I am sort of curious how well the whole pseudo open world thing they seem to be going for here is going to work though (and the new power kind of reminds me of what little I’ve seen of Twin Mirror).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

General Dog posted:

I hope it’s not terrible. I don’t have any reason to think it will be, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

No way. I'm ready to loving party, my expectations are sky high and I'm vehemently denying all chances of disappointment, let's gooooo!!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

Of all the companies who could completely botch a Life is Strange game DeckNine is lower on the list then Dontnod, the original creators.

LIS2 was good, great in some parts but such a radically different game you could see where they forced things for plot reasons because of working in the 5 episode, staggered release format and changing major design decisions mid stride (the use of money, the dog, etc.) It just felt like the goal was to be as different as possible with new cast every episode, also go hard on politics in the US.

Tell Me Why was a big improvement but still had a weird vibe where they wrote like it was 5 episodes of story then had to compress it into 3, leading to some weirdly forced moments where they wanted that gym pool scene feeling from LiS for two characters who shared like 2 lines of conversation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also while it was a decent LiS clone for the most part, aside from the flashbacks to the twins’ childhood there never really felt like there were any real stakes in Tell Me Why (at almost no point are the main characters in actual danger). I also feel like they might have played things a bit too safe in regards to Tyler being trans.

But yeah, like I said True Colors feels like a return to form for the series (and after BtS I honestly trust Deck Nine with the franchise more than DontNod) so personally I’m pretty optimistic about this so far.

I’m guessing they’ll have you choose which ending from the first game you want to follow at the beginning like LiS2 did (mostly because there’s no way Steph is going to go the whole game without ever mentioning her old hometown and whether or not a cataclysmic storm occurred seems like a hard thing to dance around).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have a release date for the bonus episode (also the remasters of the first two games have been delayed until next year):

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1425494868646899717

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh thank god, an “important message” tweet that isn’t a delay. My heart stopped for a second.