Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

gently caress yeah!!! If you go to the antiquities markets there's books and gold and all sorts of things but also MAPS.

Once I went to Harrods in London just to see what the obscenely rich spend their ill-gotten inheritances on and found my way to the antique maps section. OH MY GOD. If I had any ill-gotten inheritance, the things they had there were exquisite. The lady was very nice and helpful as well, despite me not being covered in gold baubles and having a trail of servants. She showed me all sorts of cool, ancient, not quite priceless but may as well be, maps. Highly recommended if you can pass as a respectable commoner with a penchant for old maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Man I'd love to look at ancient maps, i could do it all day. Maps rule

ty manifisto

xcheopis

One of the books I have in storage is an atlas from the early 1940s, with blank spots all over Europe on down through Africa because "Uh we don't know any more".

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have a lot of maps. I have map drawers in my house. I have maps on the walls. I'm obsessed with the idea that people really do fuckin think they can determine borders.

Escape From Noise

Mother! is that the kind of film I really enjoy.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I have a lot of maps. I have map drawers in my house. I have maps on the walls. I'm obsessed with the idea that people really do fuckin think they can determine borders.

The arbitrary lines of longitude or whatever are really hosed up and weird and kinda go to show that back in the days those maps were made, there was one singular guy who weilded so much power that he could draw a line and say this is mine and that is yours. I'm glad that, to that extent at least, those people and days are gone, even if we're still living with the consequences.
But local borders, determined on the ground, by natural features, with no map, those make more sense. The land that side of the river belongs to those people. Our land extends to the Mountains. Big lakes, forests, natural features, those types of things make sense to be borders to me. Oh yeah and maybe ask the people who live there where their borders are and respect that? Crazy talk I know.
Although that's extremely naïve of me too because there's always people who are going to say all this is ours, in direct opposition to other people who say no actually all this is ours, and then they have some wars and its all very unbyob.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 15, 2021

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

The arbitrary lines of longitude or whatever are really hosed up and weird and kinda go to show that back in the days those maps were made, there was one singular guy who weilded so much power that he could draw a line and say this is mine and that is yours. I'm glad that, to that extent at least, those people and days are gone, even if we're still living with the consequences.
But local borders, determined on the ground, by natural features, with no map, those make more sense. The land that side of the river belongs to those people. Our land extends to the Mountains. Big lakes, forests, natural features, those types of things make sense to be borders to me. Oh yeah and maybe ask the people who live there where their borders are and respect that? Crazy talk I know.

Rivers are terrible borders because they can change dramatically during drought/flood seasons.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

cruft

My favorite border story:
the Pig War

Finger Prince

xcheopis posted:

Rivers are terrible borders because they can change dramatically during drought/flood seasons.

Yeah in places where there's drought/flood seasons. Probably not a good idea there.

Escape From Noise

I thought Borders went bankrupt, but it was where no good teens hung out in Santa Fe.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Finger Prince posted:

Once I went to Harrods in London just to see what the obscenely rich spend their ill-gotten inheritances on and found my way to the antique maps section. OH MY GOD. If I had any ill-gotten inheritance, the things they had there were exquisite. The lady was very nice and helpful as well, despite me not being covered in gold baubles and having a trail of servants. She showed me all sorts of cool, ancient, not quite priceless but may as well be, maps. Highly recommended if you can pass as a respectable commoner with a penchant for old maps.
I've wandered around a whole lot of antique shops clearly with no intention of buying anything because I like looking at antique furniture and have almost always been well received by the people that work there. Most people that run/work in antique shops do it because they like pretty old furniture not to get rich and they love to talk about and show off pretty old furniture and I would imagine the orb running an old map shop would be about the same.

Finger Prince posted:

Although that's extremely naïve of me too because there's always people who are going to say all this is ours, in direct opposition to other people who say no actually all this is ours, and then they have some wars and its all very unbyob.
This works great until France decides their natural frontier is the left bank of the rhine and germany decides their natural frontier is about 100 miles west of the rhine.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah in places where there's drought/flood seasons. Probably not a good idea there.

Terry Pratchett wrote a book about this very thing!

Escape From Noise posted:

I thought Borders went bankrupt, but it was where no good teens hung out in Santa Fe.

Boooo!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Prof. Crocodile

take the moon posted:

got writing onto a thing today :)

this sounds like great news!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Mother! is that the kind of film I really enjoy.

Oh man, when things got real real crazy I was having a blast.

There weren't very many people in the theater where I saw it, and progressively they kept leaving as the movie went on.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Finger Prince posted:

:hmmyes: If you look at a map showing the lower Mississippi River, you can see places where the river cut off a loop, but the border between the states on the opposite sides of the river didn't change. This leaves small parcels of land that are still part of the state that is now on the other side of the river. The usual rule is that if the river changes course gradually, then the border follows the center of the river, but if the river changes course suddenly, then the border remains where it was.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My favorite Propagandhi song is about flipping off a Borders I'm pretty sure

Heather Papps

hello friend

my brother and nephew absconded today. it was a really good visit but i am very much enjoying silence for the first time in a few days. yesterday we were having lunch with our cousin and i asked him if he'd ever thought about having kids, and he busted out pictures of ultrasounds and my brother and i yelled very loudly by accident on the patio.

babies make this world so much better it's hard to believe, and being an uncle has tipped the scales in favour of babies from not really caring if i have em either way.

also i missed you byob. my computer spent the whole time being an elmo and bluey machine. bluey loving rules, so much better than paw patrol.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

My favorite Propagandhi song is about flipping off a Borders I'm pretty sure

:respek: best band ever its not close

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gramps posted:

:respek: best band ever its not close

Hell yeaaaaaah!!!! I have stories. One time I threw up on Chris. It was not my finest hour. He remains the most Canadian person I know.

Finger Prince

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've wandered around a whole lot of antique shops clearly with no intention of buying anything because I like looking at antique furniture and have almost always been well received by the people that work there. Most people that run/work in antique shops do it because they like pretty old furniture not to get rich and they love to talk about and show off pretty old furniture and I would imagine the orb running an old map shop would be about the same.

This works great until France decides their natural frontier is the left bank of the rhine and germany decides their natural frontier is about 100 miles west of the rhine.

The cool thing was the lady had the most posh upper crust RP accent, because you'd have to working at harrods, but when she realized I wasn't posh at all (from the colonies, even), she slipped back into her natural, lovely Welsh accent. Then it was just two people kinda nerding out over cool old maps.

Prof. Crocodile

Mormon Nailer posted:

Hell yeaaaaaah!!!! I have stories. One time I threw up on Chris. It was not my finest hour. He remains the most Canadian person I know.

meaning that he apologized to you when you threw up on him?

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I came home and immediately took a nap using my wifes butt as a pillow
I gotta say it was a good day (after work)

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

Barking Gecko posted:

:hmmyes: If you look at a map showing the lower Mississippi River, you can see places where the river cut off a loop, but the border between the states on the opposite sides of the river didn't change. This leaves small parcels of land that are still part of the state that is now on the other side of the river. The usual rule is that if the river changes course gradually, then the border follows the center of the river, but if the river changes course suddenly, then the border remains where it was.

And then you get into the whole thing where ownership of mineral rights are determined by these gradually shifting borders but the original lease was taken in 1948 and described the area by meets and bounds, not just by lot number so the government maintains that their interest doesn't change regardless of the fact that everyone else's interest (that was leased by lot number) has changed and surveying techniques now are so precise that the acreage along a river can come out different week to week so by the time your new survey gets approved in two years everything's already shifted some more and there's no good solution to allow for accurate royalty reporting so I'm stuck in an endless cycle of emails rehashing the same problems over and over and.

Yeah.

Sorry, this just hit really close to the absolute worst part of my job, which is also the reason I have job security since no one else has the patience to wade through this bullshit. I can take my complaining to the work thread.

On a happy note, I get leave in an hour and once I get home I will snuggle the cutest baby in the world.

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

I would love to hear your Prop stories sometime. I give Chris money through his Patreon every month and it's the most worthwhile money I've ever spent. He is indeed the nicest and most Canadian man in existence

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

my brother and nephew absconded today.

Beekeeper humor, folks. Be sure to try the mead!

Bingo Bango

lurking AND posting, for the double whammy

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gramps posted:

I would love to hear your Prop stories sometime. I give Chris money through his Patreon every month and it's the most worthwhile money I've ever spent. He is indeed the nicest and most Canadian man in existence

I will gather my thoughts and my thots and pm them to you lol.

Tldr I literally grew up watching Chris and Jord and it's good.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I really really really really want to play a show with Sulynn and Chris someday though, she's the best addition they have ever made to the band.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

DaChurl posted:

And then you get into the whole thing where ownership of mineral rights are determined by these gradually shifting borders but the original lease was taken in 1948 and described the area by meets and bounds, not just by lot number so the government maintains that their interest doesn't change regardless of the fact that everyone else's interest (that was leased by lot number) has changed and surveying techniques now are so precise that the acreage along a river can come out different week to week so by the time your new survey gets approved in two years everything's already shifted some more and there's no good solution to allow for accurate royalty reporting so I'm stuck in an endless cycle of emails rehashing the same problems over and over and.

Yeah.

Sorry, this just hit really close to the absolute worst part of my job, which is also the reason I have job security since no one else has the patience to wade through this bullshit. I can take my complaining to the work thread.

On a happy note, I get leave in an hour and once I get home I will snuggle the cutest baby in the world.

BUY THE BABY AN ACCOUNT

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

I really really really really want to play a show with Sulynn and Chris someday though, she's the best addition they have ever made to the band.

She loving shreds so hard. I wanna take some guitar lessons from her sometime.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I got a callback to interview for a job at the library so I am practicing kissing and touching books just in case they need me to demonstrate in person.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

I got a callback to interview for a job at the library so I am practicing kissing and touching books just in case they need me to demonstrate in person.

if your hair is long enough make sure to practice pulling a pencil out and shaking your glorious locks out and about

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
It is and I will

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gramps posted:

She loving shreds so hard. I wanna take some guitar lessons from her sometime.

Is she still teaching? I know for a while she was taking bookings through the band fb page and the website.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

How Wonderful! posted:

Remember that sensually licking the spine is reserved only for the legal library's federal reference section.

more falafel please

forums poster

day 2 of the 12 day road trip to points west and beyond update:

Nebraska is very long. we're almost to Denver and then we don't have to drive tomorrow

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

Is she still teaching? I know for a while she was taking bookings through the band fb page and the website.

Just checked her website and it sure looks like she is. I just gotta get into a better headspace so I'm not a lovely student. Definitely wanna be all there if I'm taking lessons from one of my favorite players

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gramps posted:

Just checked her website and it sure looks like she is. I just gotta get into a better headspace so I'm not a lovely student. Definitely wanna be all there if I'm taking lessons from one of my favorite players

Hell yes. Self care is rewarding on its own but self care with a reward of cool guitar lessons is excellent.

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

more falafel please posted:

day 2 of the 12 day road trip to points west and beyond update:

Nebraska is very long. we're almost to Denver and then we don't have to drive tomorrow

hell yeah buddy—stay safe out there

also when in Denver, always :clint:

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

hello byob I got you this Denver

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!