Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Ashen Empires? Haven and Hearth?

Checked both of those out, it's neither. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Guyver posted:

There was this java browser game years ago. You'd make a hero and get a daily number of turns.

On the main screen there was a stats and inventory window, a mail window, guild window, a general store and an adventure window.

You'd click the bottom right adventure window and use a turn and have an encounter. In the encounter you could fight, talk or run. As you leveled up you could unlock different lands like the starting one was basic fantasy europe, one was japan and one was like a mountain you could fight dragons.

The site it was on had an bbs but there was also an in game mail system where you bought in game letters from the store to send people and you could attach money and items.

Also everything dropped Turnips.

I finally got one! This is Dragon Court. I wasted so many hours playing that, I loved it. I checked a few years ago and the site wasn’t down but it wasn’t running. A quick google search shows a Reddit community and also a Facebook page for a potential mobile rerelease(!).

Edit: here’s a video so you can see it in all its html glory https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fc0vP7AJfhA

JackBandit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 21, 2021

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

JackBandit posted:

I finally got one! This is Dragon Court. I wasted so many hours playing that, I loved it. I checked a few years ago and the site wasn’t down but it wasn’t running. A quick google search shows a Reddit community and also a Facebook page for a potential mobile rerelease(!).

Edit: here’s a video so you can see it in all its html glory https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fc0vP7AJfhA

Yes. Thank you. This popped into my head last night before bed and it would have bugged me for weeks.

Get home from school and play through like ten characters.

I don't really play games much anymore but I would pay good money for a mobile version if only for the nostalgia hit and the turnips. Gotta hoard turnips.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

This sounds almost exactly like thread favourite Castle of the Winds, but that was for Windows 3 rather than DOS.

After playing around with this more, it absolutely must be the game I was thinking of. It doesn't all seem familiar, but enough of it does for me to consider this solved. Thanks!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I recently found a maze map I drew in one of my old notebooks, from an adventure game. This would have been pre-1990 most likely.

The map has locations marked 'hopelessly dense', 'tediously dense', 'fearfully dense', and 'very dense' which I'm almost certain apply to a jungle. Another location is marked "You're as dense" which I think was probably a description of when you get too far off the path and it says "You're as dense as the jungle itself". There's another sketch of the map that includes 'quicksand' and an arrow pointing toward 'death'. One of the paths indicates that sometimes when you go East, you end up in one spot, sometimes in another.

A few items (or maybe places to use items) are marked in spots: 'very dense' has "(goggles)", 'hopelessly dense' has "(rations)" and another one marked 'gloomy, dense' has an unclear word which might be "(laser" .

I think it might have been Amazon (the one based on the Crichton book) since that did have goggles and lasers but I thought the navigation was different in that.

There's a tiny chance this was something I was designing (maybe based on Amazon), but the descriptions are so brief I don't think I would've planned a map in that way.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kangra posted:

I recently found a maze map I drew in one of my old notebooks, from an adventure game. This would have been pre-1990 most likely.

The map has locations marked 'hopelessly dense', 'tediously dense', 'fearfully dense', and 'very dense' which I'm almost certain apply to a jungle. Another location is marked "You're as dense" which I think was probably a description of when you get too far off the path and it says "You're as dense as the jungle itself". There's another sketch of the map that includes 'quicksand' and an arrow pointing toward 'death'. One of the paths indicates that sometimes when you go East, you end up in one spot, sometimes in another.

A few items (or maybe places to use items) are marked in spots: 'very dense' has "(goggles)", 'hopelessly dense' has "(rations)" and another one marked 'gloomy, dense' has an unclear word which might be "(laser" .

I think it might have been Amazon (the one based on the Crichton book) since that did have goggles and lasers but I thought the navigation was different in that.

There's a tiny chance this was something I was designing (maybe based on Amazon), but the descriptions are so brief I don't think I would've planned a map in that way.

Definitely Michael Crichton’s Amazon

http://gamingafter40.blogspot.com/2010/02/adventure-of-week-michael-crichtons.html?m=1

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

timp posted:

After playing around with this more, it absolutely must be the game I was thinking of. It doesn't all seem familiar, but enough of it does for me to consider this solved. Thanks!

Haha, glad I could help. It's probably the most asked-after game in this thread. I loved that game so much back in the day.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's worth noting there were multiple versions of castle of the winds with minor graphical/UI differences. iirc the later version has spell quick slot buttons and a built in female character option while the earlier one does not.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

Haha, glad I could help. It's probably the most asked-after game in this thread. I loved that game so much back in the day.

What really convinced me was the fact that another one of the very prominent games I remember playing on the old family computer in the 90's was a puzzle game called Dare to Dream 2. I've since found and replayed that one; it's pretty easy to Google nowadays. Anyway, that was apparently published by Epic, and Castle of the Winds was also published by Epic. I could only assumed that they were both picked up in a multipack of some sort. Plus I'm in Charlotte NC and Epic is located in Cary just a few hours away, so it's not unreasonable to imagine a scenario where their games could end up on my computer desk somehow.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks! I checked some walkthoughs, and it looks like the maze was something you only ended up in if you made a mistake, so they never mentioned it.

I also didn't know Crichton had written the game. I just assumed that somehow Amazon & Congo were two books with remarkably similar plots of his.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm happy that someone brought up Dragon Court, because wow, that was a memory coming back I didn't know I had. Though now I am a little concerned with just how much time I must have put into that game over the course of months.

E: Wait, that one brought back something else. I have a memory of what I think might have been an early flash game or series of flash games set in the Australian outback. I remember the main character being...essentially whatever the australian version of a redneck is? It was broken up into different games and modes of play. I remember not disliking something that had to do with a didgeridoo, but the only game I strongly recall playing was a mode where you just drove a truck or something similar around running over cane toads for points. It feels kind of incongruous to me, because I have the weird sense it might have been intended to be edutainment?

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 23, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

E: Wait, that one brought back something else. I have a memory of what I think might have been an early flash game or series of flash games set in the Australian outback. I remember the main character being...essentially whatever the australian version of a redneck is? It was broken up into different games and modes of play. I remember not disliking something that had to do with a didgeridoo, but the only game I strongly recall playing was a mode where you just drove a truck or something similar around running over cane toads for points. It feels kind of incongruous to me, because I have the weird sense it might have been intended to be edutainment?

Lenny Loosejocks

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Hwurmp posted:

Lenny Loosejocks

That was prompt. Thanks!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I would never forget Lenny Loosejocks, because you could click on him on the main page (or something like that) and he'd just say, cheerily, "Lenneee Loosejoks!!"

I did that many times.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Something at E3 reminded me of an old free downloadable WiP game and I tracked down a screenshot on an old hard drive from 2008.
It was a sort of 'open world' city block zombie survival shooter thing with enterable buildings where you could get people to join you and equip them with gear. And there were definitely monsters besides zombies, like ghosts and such.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cerebulon posted:

Something at E3 reminded me of an old free downloadable WiP game and I tracked down a screenshot on an old hard drive from 2008.
It was a sort of 'open world' city block zombie survival shooter thing with enterable buildings where you could get people to join you and equip them with gear. And there were definitely monsters besides zombies, like ghosts and such.

Survival Crisis Z

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There was a somewhat major break in the Evil Farming Game saga that Whang has been covering.

Original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6305HhpAcU

Recent follow-up/update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT1IwwRNgIM

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is going to be a tough one, it's a Newgrounds flash game from 2006 or earlier, top down shooter scrolling from bottom to top. The first level starts with your space fleet being ambushed and your fighter ship starts inside a carrier, and two enemy ships blow up the other fighters on your pad. When you reach open space, a big rear end enemy ship flies down like it's going to attack you, but a friendly ship tells you to leave it to them and they ram it.

I also remember the third level was a sand planet called Arrakis (I get it!). Honestly I mainly want to know because the song used in the first level is also made by a newgrounds dude, and it slaps and I've been trying to remember the name of it for so drat long

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There was a somewhat major break in the Evil Farming Game saga that Whang has been covering.

Original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6305HhpAcU

Recent follow-up/update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT1IwwRNgIM

Aaaand it's been found (sort of)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ3b8x63bqc

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've been following that one on reddit on and off for a while. What a dumb solution. Oh well. At least I got a cool new channel to follow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've been following that one on reddit on and off for a while. What a dumb solution. Oh well. At least I got a cool new channel to follow.

Yeah, Whang's pretty good. And apparently there are like a million other channels like it?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Feel like this is gonna be obscure as hell but here we go. I'm looking for a game I saw a long time ago that maybe was on a handheld console? Maybe Nintendo? I don't think it ever got a US release. The basic gist of the game was that you were a necromancer or witch or something and you were digging through the ground 2d like DigDug to build out a dungeon where you put creatures to stop the adventures trying to get you. I think the title was something along the lines of "AHHH GO AWAY" or something like that? I remember seeing videos but all the text was japanese but the concept of a reverse dungeon crawler was neat where you built a dungeon to stop different adventures. The creatures could grow and breed I think? Please help me find this again.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

poemdexter posted:

Feel like this is gonna be obscure as hell but here we go. I'm looking for a game I saw a long time ago that maybe was on a handheld console? Maybe Nintendo? I don't think it ever got a US release. The basic gist of the game was that you were a necromancer or witch or something and you were digging through the ground 2d like DigDug to build out a dungeon where you put creatures to stop the adventures trying to get you. I think the title was something along the lines of "AHHH GO AWAY" or something like that? I remember seeing videos but all the text was japanese but the concept of a reverse dungeon crawler was neat where you built a dungeon to stop different adventures. The creatures could grow and breed I think? Please help me find this again.

What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?

I believe both it and the sequel came out on PSP in the US

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?

I believe both it and the sequel came out on PSP in the US

Holy crap this is it! Thanks!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The funny part about those games is that the first one used to be titled "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!" but they had to change it presumably because DC/WB threatened to sue.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Danaru posted:

This is going to be a tough one, it's a Newgrounds flash game from 2006 or earlier, top down shooter scrolling from bottom to top. The first level starts with your space fleet being ambushed and your fighter ship starts inside a carrier, and two enemy ships blow up the other fighters on your pad. When you reach open space, a big rear end enemy ship flies down like it's going to attack you, but a friendly ship tells you to leave it to them and they ram it.

I also remember the third level was a sand planet called Arrakis (I get it!). Honestly I mainly want to know because the song used in the first level is also made by a newgrounds dude, and it slaps and I've been trying to remember the name of it for so drat long

This is Starfire

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:vince: Holy poo poo that's it, I legit didn't think anyone could find it with just that info. Wow it uh, looks different than I remember.

-fireburst- on the other hand sounds exactly how I remember :pcgaming:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

2D PC sidescrolling platformer. Don't know the date but I played it when I discovered abandonware sights so pre-2000.

You're a vampire and it's kind of like a more exploratory Kid Dracula. Small, cute avatar with a horror theme and bright chunky pixel graphics reminiscent of Cave Story. Can't think of anything more than that other than it look and played like something between NES and TGFX style game, definitely two button or so.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

2D PC sidescrolling platformer. Don't know the date but I played it when I discovered abandonware sights so pre-2000.

You're a vampire and it's kind of like a more exploratory Kid Dracula. Small, cute avatar with a horror theme and bright chunky pixel graphics reminiscent of Cave Story. Can't think of anything more than that other than it look and played like something between NES and TGFX style game, definitely two button or so.

Is it Akuji the Demon

https://www.mobygames.com/game/akuji-the-demon

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well that was easy! Thanks.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

This would have been mid-to-late '90s: arcade racer, futuristic style, red motorcycle-looking seat as part of the cabinet?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FFT posted:

This would have been mid-to-late '90s: arcade racer, futuristic style, red motorcycle-looking seat as part of the cabinet?

Motor Raid?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nope :/

Gameplay was kind of like Tempest but updated? I can barely remember it.

/e: welp lmao I was a bit off from 1989

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I can smell that thing though the photo.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There was a Mega Drive / Genesis game I vaguely remember playing as a kid that was a sort of top-down hack and slash with a series of levels, where you started at the bottom of the level and I think had to get to the top. You had a roster of characters with different weapons and if the one you were playing with died a miniature copy of him would be placed where he died and you could recover him by walking over him with your next dude and beating the level with the miniature guy in tow, but if you lost your dude while he had dudes following him you'd lose all the followers. You lost if you ran out of dudes. Anyone have any idea what this might have been?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gain Ground

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

al-azad posted:

Gain Ground

This is definitely it, thanks.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Let's give another one a try:

Windows 3.11 or 95, I think it was from a Demo/Freeware/Shareware CD/Disk. It was black/cyan/magenta. On the first screen you only saw the silhouette of things in black, yourself - a knight with a sword - some bushes and a spider which attacked you. I remember some lights around, may have been stars in the background or fireflies in the bushes. I never killed the spider or whatever so I can't tell you about anything else.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I was hospitalized as a kid around 2000 for something, and I remember my mom buying me a copy of PC Gamer to cheer me up — I think it came with a CD full of demos the family computer couldn't run.

One of the games reviewed / advertised in the magazine was a sort of top-down, isometric gang simulator. It was not Gangsters: Organized Crime, but something set in the present day, with an "urban" setting, drugs with cR4Zy names you could take to boost your stats, and an overall aesthetic that would probably be considered slightly offensive today. I think there were prostitutes? Maybe it was a poor man's GTA for the time, more focused on turf management.

Thanks to anyone who can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DasNeonLicht posted:

I was hospitalized as a kid around 2000 for something, and I remember my mom buying me a copy of PC Gamer to cheer me up — I think it came with a CD full of demos the family computer couldn't run.

One of the games reviewed / advertised in the magazine was a sort of top-down, isometric gang simulator. It was not Gangsters: Organized Crime, but something set in the present day, with an "urban" setting, drugs with cR4Zy names you could take to boost your stats, and an overall aesthetic that would probably be considered slightly offensive today. I think there were prostitutes? Maybe it was a poor man's GTA for the time, more focused on turf management.

Thanks to anyone who can remember.

Are you totally sure about the date? That sounds like the remake of NARC, but that came out in 2005.