Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

angry armadillo posted:

yeah i am absolutely on board with supporting the idea that if the company wants my time, then they should pay me - and we have fought to get our on call policy setup, which is fairly robust.

The gap within the policy, so effectively there is no letter of the law to follow is: Urgent call at 16:59 that will take 1 hour to resolve - do I claim 1 hours pay or do I claim 4 hours as a 'call out'

There is a rule for: Urgent call at 17:05... I've already left and you are calling me back? That's 4 hours by the law so that's easy.

It is then further complicated if someone does some work at the weekend, do you apply the answer to first scenario because the job came in whilst they were on site
or do you pay them 4 hours because unexpected calls get 4 hours

If it happened to me I'd be comfortable saying "I agreed to work 3 hours, paid, on saturday because we thought it would take that long to stand up ~project~ but Bob asked me to do ~task~ which took 1 hour, so i claimed 1 hour"
Most of our guys would want 4 hours in that case because they were doing even the smallest of tasks 'unexpectedly' and I'd probably just approve it to test the water

But I'm not sure what is typical in other companies because this really seems like a grey area.

Saying "dont get involved" is an amazing way this forum likes to default to employee rights which i get, but I'd actually like to have this debate with my boss so our whole team get a reasonably conventional call out scheme

But I am assuming I've found a weird loophole that most people miss.

No. Never go out of your way to take money out of a coworker’s hand for the company. Your fun intellectual debate reduces your coworkers’ pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Always bill maximum amount of time/money in favor of employees. Companies will sure as hell abuse the everliving poo poo out of any loophole they can find so keep it an even playing fied wherever that’s possible.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We've solved it.

"hey boss , if I'm on site doing ~work~ and i get a callout, can i claim the full 4 hours or will i get in trouble for getting OT and a call out?"

"yes, that's the cost of support"

thanks boss :D

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

No. Never go out of your way to take money out of a coworker’s hand for the company. Your fun intellectual debate reduces your coworkers’ pay.

Yeah, this is why I was emphasizing that it wasn't your rodeo, AA.

angry armadillo posted:

We've solved it.

"hey boss , if I'm on site doing ~work~ and i get a callout, can i claim the full 4 hours or will i get in trouble for getting OT and a call out?"

"yes, that's the cost of support"

thanks boss :D

Well, that's good to hear. It's also how I'd interpret it whether it was me or someone who reported to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If I started something in the last five minutes of a shift and it ran long outside of my control, that's sure as poo poo an extra hour's work. Your shift ends at end of shift. Anything outside that is a callout/on-call, full-stop.

You can use sensible discretion to just not be petty for trivial "yup this alarm's not important" checks and the like that're more about making sure you don't need to do work, but any actual work gets paid for.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LochNessMonster posted:

Always bill maximum amount of time/money in favor of employees. Companies will sure as hell abuse the everliving poo poo out of any loophole they can find so keep it an even playing fied wherever that’s possible.

At $AWFUL_JOB I had one customer that agreed to pay extra for after hours to the hourly rate to my company, and $50 of that would pass on to me. I was 100% over worked, so I used to just save the tasks for that customer until afterhours (often I'd commute home and work into the night on them). I'd average maybe 10-20 afterhour/weekend work for them a month, maybe pocket another grand.

After a few months of doing this, my boss told me to stop. I asked him to clarify "stop working after hours or stop billing them the afterhours rate?" He told me it was clear I was purposely not working on their tasks during the day so I could get extra money, and stop doing that. I explained that I was already at 100% billable on other customer during the day, so if I didn't do their stuff at night, I just wouldn't have time for it and tasks would not get finished, plus a lot of it was server maintenance which was weekend work anyways. He didn't believe me, and he went so far as to try to convince me that when I worked overtime and made an extra $50, the company actually lost money on those hours. I had access to the invoicing, and I said "well, they are actually paying $250 per hour, so if you are losing money when you mark up my time 500% maybe you are doing something wrong.

He didn't like that at all.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I started something in the last five minutes of a shift and it ran long outside of my control, that's sure as poo poo an extra hour's work. Your shift ends at end of shift. Anything outside that is a callout/on-call, full-stop.

You can use sensible discretion to just not be petty for trivial "yup this alarm's not important" checks and the like that're more about making sure you don't need to do work, but any actual work gets paid for.
boss recently told us he wants to personally approve anything like this, its generally a sensitive topic at the moment so i just wanted to check with some independent IT dudes if I say can i get OT + call out at essentially the same time for minimal effort, I'm not a lunatic... and it went well :cool:

I think I'd rather know our boss has our back in that sort of situation because it is the sort of thing where if someone from another department found out, they'd probably tell someone we were cooking the books or make a big deal about it. One of the downsides of public sector here I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

:yotj:

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Queadlunn posted:

A merry YOTJ to us all!

Finally got my goddamned offer. A %45 pay bump, bonuses and all kinds of poo poo.

Still doesn't feel like reality, but I'm loving stoked for it!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

On the yotj front. I applied for a reporting analyst role and got contacted by a recruiter a month and a bit ago. Had the initial screening call, everything seemed positive. They contacted me back and said "Company is a start up, they are getting the data engineers hired and bedded in first, then will get the reporting people in." which makes sense to me, and I'm fine with. Fast forward 2 weeks, and I'm having beers with a mate and he says "I think you should apply for this job, its with a spin off of my company.", and it was the same job. All is looking rosy. I checked what the recruiter was saying with him and it matched up, and he has put in a good word for me as well. Job A

Meanwhile, another mate got headhunted and his job opened up at a different company, and he told me to apply for that as well, so I did. Got an interview quickly, which I think went well. Waiting to hear back from them, wont happen for another week or so. Im doubtful I will get this job, because I think they want someone more technical, and I'm not there yet, but I could answer the questions they expected me to be able to answer. Job B

Do I tell the recruiter for Job A about job B in the hopes of getting them to hurry up? I think I would prefer job A, because job b sounds not as stable. Salary is basically the same between them, but job b got hit hard because of covid and have been through a few rounds of redundancies and my mate was put on reduced hours as well. Its back to standard now though. Both jobs would be a massive step forward in salary and career, so I would be happy with both.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

This is the same as we're doing for HP. We're going through CDW for the first time because they're the only ones with any stock.

You can gently caress off if you need 800 series anything, I need the HP kit at my site damnit !

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I had to move from Elitedesks to Prodesks for desktops due to lack of inventory. Same with laptops.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

NPR Journalizard posted:

On the yotj front. I applied for a reporting analyst role and got contacted by a recruiter a month and a bit ago. Had the initial screening call, everything seemed positive. They contacted me back and said "Company is a start up, they are getting the data engineers hired and bedded in first, then will get the reporting people in." which makes sense to me, and I'm fine with. Fast forward 2 weeks, and I'm having beers with a mate and he says "I think you should apply for this job, its with a spin off of my company.", and it was the same job. All is looking rosy. I checked what the recruiter was saying with him and it matched up, and he has put in a good word for me as well. Job A

Meanwhile, another mate got headhunted and his job opened up at a different company, and he told me to apply for that as well, so I did. Got an interview quickly, which I think went well. Waiting to hear back from them, wont happen for another week or so. Im doubtful I will get this job, because I think they want someone more technical, and I'm not there yet, but I could answer the questions they expected me to be able to answer. Job B

Do I tell the recruiter for Job A about job B in the hopes of getting them to hurry up? I think I would prefer job A, because job b sounds not as stable. Salary is basically the same between them, but job b got hit hard because of covid and have been through a few rounds of redundancies and my mate was put on reduced hours as well. Its back to standard now though. Both jobs would be a massive step forward in salary and career, so I would be happy with both.

If EmployerA is a start-up, and EmployerB is an established company, and the feeling you get is A is more stable/viable, that's a bad sign for B.

I see two ways you can approach the situation:
1. Have a check-in with the EmpA recruiter, and mention you've got another opportunity in the development stages. You'd prefer EmpA; is there any interest in accelerating the process to lock down talent in one of the hottest tech hiring markets in years?
2. Let each develop at their own rate. If EmpB makes an offer first, accept it while not telling EmpA. If/when EmpA makes the offer, weight the choices, and gracefully bow out at EmpB. This has some risks if you can't handle it diplomatically, and you might end up with a burned bridge regardless.

You know the nuances and players far better than strangers on the internet. I think I'd lean slightly to option #1, but I can't tell you how to live your life. :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am still addicted to doing interviews. I am probably averaging 8 orgs/recruiters reaching out to me a week and I usually schedule something with any that look interesting. Most are pretty generic and don't fit things I would be looking to do. Some look like more free money and I schedule an iniatial interview.

A company of about 35k+ employees had an internal recruiter reach out to me for a Security Engineer role. Title was generic as gently caress, but it was full remote. The hiring manager was titled Director of infrastructure and engineering and he was leading a team of 4. 35k total employees and a person with this title leads a team of 4? Okay. The team consisted of him, a cloud security architect, a SAP architect, and a Data architect. Again, some random rear end architects in a single group.

The interview was pretty generic with little worth talking about. I did inquire about the strange structure of his team , with the mishmash of titles, and how a single engineer fits into the loop. What I figure out through my questions is that the cloud security architect is the one pushing for this position and its because this person has been with the company for 30 years and doesn't really know much about cloud security. It seems bringing an FTE on is cheaper than just using vendors to do the actual work. Makes sense, in that dysfunctional big company sense, but at least they were being semi open about it.

I push on the specific responsibilities of the role and get a lot of vague statements. I push harder and have the cloud security architect give me an example of a project he would like me to work on. He gave me this rambling description of moving some on prem webapps to the cloud, but specially mentions needing this role to design the security controls, write all the documentation, and do the deployment of those controls. Of course I ask him "Doesn't that make the me the architect at that point?" and he replied "No, I would of course audit your work direct you on changes that are needed." The entire call but me is 60+ years of age.

I am going to take the job if they offer it because the work is easy, the leadership clueless, and its faster retirement for me in the end, but holy poo poo are big orgs loving dysfunctional as gently caress.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I want to be able to do that so badly.

I feel like I need to make a jump into management though if I want to pull this off, and I've always been on the technical side of things. I just cant imagine juggling on call, meetings, etc, between multiple jobs. Teach me your ways.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I want to be able to do that so badly.

I feel like I need to make a jump into management though if I want to pull this off, and I've always been on the technical side of things. I just cant imagine juggling on call, meetings, etc, between multiple jobs. Teach me your ways.

Its really not that hard. The hardest part is to figure out how to get people to hire you, but that is mostly saying the right things on your resume and be in a skillset that is trending.

Being a manager makes it harder. Make sure your gigs are engineer positions. The rest is just calendar management. The actual work should be a breeze.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive been pivoting to AWS security and currently lead a few major projects revolving around security for AWS environments. I could fill my resume up with plenty of trendy buzzwords.

Might as well take a look on indeed and see whats out there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How are you finding these gigs? Just through LinkedIn?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How are you finding these gigs? Just through LinkedIn?

I don't find these gigs, they find me. There was a LinkedIn guide a while back to get your more notices, but the key to me is living in Texas (easiest state to recruit remote workers from due to laws and taxes) and just updating something on my LinkedIn once a week.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thats something that I need to update then. My LinkedIn is just job title, company, years and then a list of certs I have at the bottom.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah man, get a decent headshot, add some generic banner photo, and update your headline with some buzzwords.

I'm not looking to move on from my current place for a bit so I've gone dormant, but I get at least 1-2 recruiter messages for SRE positions on my linkedin a week now. And that's with Azure as my cloud of choice, with AWS the market is a little more open I believe.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Help I'm an atlassian admin app bitch working helpdesk

Considering trying to yotj to a full atlassian admin gig, am I crazy?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Probably, with their push to the cloud unless you’re currently dealing with ‘datacenter’ deployments.

Really depends if you mean infra admin or software admin or a mix of both. Like I can get Jira and confluence updated, setup projects and etc, and I’ve done a few internal migrations of them, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to advertise that outside of saying that I am familiar with them.

Personally I try to avoid roles with titles that sound dedicated to a particular software or product, vs something a bit more general.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
new job update

going to a BBQ at the general counsel's house on cape cod next week, company is getting me a hotel so i dont have to drive home late/drunk.

we are hopeful that the company ski trip to switzerland will happen in 2022.

been here 2 months and migrated the entire office to sharepoint, will have them on updated printing & updated A/V by end of the month, then half the company is off in august.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Actually, I have a real question for the thread. We have the following:
  • small office avaya PBX
  • PRI w/ 20 DIDs
  • 800 number that forwards to a DID that rings into the PBX
  • A connection over MPLS to our office in Europe
  • the 800 number rings our PBX, but the call is passed over the trunk to EU where it actually rings desk phones there
  • inter office dialing (we can call the other office with extensions)
  • toll bypass for international calls by dialing out through the EU based PBX

We are winding down the office tech foot print. I'd like to get some kind of monthly cloud service that basically just lets me have my Avaya in the cloud, but all the same features, and we can use softphones or deskphones if people want them. Anyone recommend a provider I can call? There's ton of cloud providers, but I"m not sure about ones that I can do the trunking through.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All of Avaya's SMB stuff is being binned off and they're pushing customers over to a rebadged RingCentral, so that idea is off the table.

Have you considered using MS Teams and using Operator Connect to bring phone service into it?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/introducing-operator-connect-and-more-teams-calling-updates/ba-p/2176398

For deskphones you can either buy Teams phones (not a fan), or wait until the option to provision standard SIP telephones launches (due to preview in the next few months).

8x8 are a decent global provider but they're expensive and the deskphone experience is clearly a "we have deskphones for people who insist on it" level feature.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 15, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

All of Avaya's SMB stuff is being binned off and they're pushing customers over to a rebadged RingCentral, so that idea is off the table.

Have you considered using MS Teams and using Operator Connect to bring phone service into it?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/introducing-operator-connect-and-more-teams-calling-updates/ba-p/2176398

For deskphones you can either buy Teams phones (not a fan), or wait until the option to provision standard SIP telephones launches (due to preview in the next few months).

8x8 are a decent global provider but they're expensive and the deskphone experience is clearly a "we have deskphones for people who insist on it" level feature.

The main issue is that we want to extension dialing to another country over a SIP Trunk and have some DIDs in the US ring over that trunk to a PBX in another office. I spoke to Ring Central and they can't do that. I'll call 8x8.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams will do extension dialling but it doesn't involve SIP until it goes out to the PSTN. You could link a US and European provider into your Teams tenant and send different calls to different providers based on the number called

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-voice-routing

If you want something that acts like a PBX though Teams isn't it, you have to change your thinking quite a bit to work within the constraints.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Teams will do extension dialling but it doesn't involve SIP until it goes out to the PSTN. You could link a US and European provider into your Teams tenant and send different calls to different providers based on the number called

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-voice-routing

If you want something that acts like a PBX though Teams isn't it, you have to change your thinking quite a bit to work within the constraints.

He could also get a couple of Survivable SBC and redirect the sip streams from those to the cloud pbx, the sole on site equipment footprint would be the SBC.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Whatever you do, don’t go with Five9 for your contact center if you have one!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Simple question but I can’t find a straight answer- is the purpose of the subnet mask simply to be like “if these two bytes are all ones, that corresponding part of the IP address are not part of the device address?”

Or could someone point me to a clear explanation I’ve watched several videos that mention IP addressing and subnetting but they gloss over this or I’m just missing something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://twitter.com/J0hnnyXm4s/status/1405007875701985283

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Simple question but I can’t find a straight answer- is the purpose of the subnet mask simply to be like “if these two bytes are all ones, that corresponding part of the IP address are not part of the device address?”

Or could someone point me to a clear explanation I’ve watched several videos that mention IP addressing and subnetting but they gloss over this or I’m just missing something.

https://www.dummies.com/programming/networking/network-administration-subnet-masks/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Subnet masks are a shorthand that convey a bunch of information. They tell you the upper and lower boundaries of the subnet. That tells you whether a given host's address is in-network or not, as well as the usable addresses in that range, along with the broadcast address.

Consider a host with the address 192.168.30.25 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (this is a /24, in CIDR notation, or 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 bitwise). This host is in 192.168.30.0/24. Hosts in this network can be from 192.168.30.1 to 192.168.30.254 and the broadcast address is 192.168.30.255, the last address in the network. Any address in that range is in-network and anything outside that range is out-of-network.

Alternatively, consider 10.176.50.32 with subnet mask 255.255.252.0 (/22, or 11111111.11111111.11111100.00000000). This host is in 10.176.48.0/22. Hosts in this network can be from 192.168.48.1 to 192.168.51.254 and the broadcast address is 192.168.51.255, the last address in the network.

CIDR notation is just a shorthand for that shorthand, written as /x, where x is the number of bits in the mask that are "on" (1s).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Whatever you do, don’t go with Five9 for your contact center if you have one!

Listen to this man, our Five9 system is a clusterfuck and I'm glad I don't have to touch it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thank you guys! I don’t know why it was so hard to find a clear answer to what it actually does

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you're learning to subnet I always found the "magic number" method to be the easiest and quickest. Its the one I've used in my career (for tests otherwise just use a calculator as needed).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I just memorize /8, /16, /24 and how many available address spaces are on each (before you subtract 2). For each number you move down, multiply the number of address spaces by two. For each number you move up, divide the number of address spaces by two. Then subtract 2 from whatever the resulting number is.

Or just use a calculator like a sane person

E: Similar thing with determining masks, just start with eg 255.255.255.0 for /24 then either -1, -2, -4, or +128, +64, +32 etc

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 16, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

klosterdev posted:

I just memorize /8, /16, /24 and how many available address spaces are on each (before you subtract 2). For each number you move down, multiply the number of address spaces by two. For each number you move up, divide the number of address spaces by two. Then subtract 2 from whatever the resulting number is.

Or just use a calculator like a sane person

E: Similar thing with determining masks, just start with eg 255.255.255.0 for /24 then either -1, -2, -4, or +128, +64, +32 etc

I've found it's better to just understand how it works on a bit level and remember 2n - 2. If you're working off CIDR notation. Subtract the netmask from 32 and that's your IP space for hosts.

For /24 n=8. 28 - 2 = 254 usable host addresses. /28: n = 4. /22: n = 10. and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So with this new job I'm going to be ticket wrangling but also helping them develop IT systems pushing towards adopting a ticketing system, a specific image and asset management solution etc. When and how should I try and get a title bump out of this, because on my linked in and resume it looks like I'm taking a step back?