Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
If I wasn't willing to listen to someone talk about the McElroys for two hours then I sure as poo poo will not listen to someone talk about iCarly for four hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

watho posted:

yeah and that’s fine. it just doesn’t make for entertaining content. especially not when it’s monetized to an absurd degree. anyway here’s my 10 part retrospective where i’m reading the wikipedia page for the flash series Madness brought to you by Raytheon

It does not. I don’t really like his stuff honestly.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
First Sarah Z, now Quinton, who infected them with Maular disease?

To be fair to the former her recent stuff is not that much longer than what Hbomb puts out or the like I guess, it's just not the amount of time I'm willing to watch a video about the topics she chooses most of the time. But 3.5 and 4.5 hours, Jesus Christ Quinton

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
They are all still far better than Mauler because they add something called 'subjective opinions' to their videos.

And again Quinton is lucky I can put his videos on the background while I am doing other stuff. Maybe thats what he preys upon.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

The Fred video ruled and summarising the Nickelodeon show was the best part

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fred put out like, 46 hours of content over 4 years not even mentioning the movie and stuff right? I can see needing episodes of television or almost a Zack Snyder Justice League to cover everything even if it's scary to see a YouTube video longer than 25 minutes.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think if your making a video that goes over 30-45 minutes then you have to be really compelling in your presentation or be talking about something really interesting to justify the length.

Quinton's biggest issue is that most of his videos are on things that just aren't worth talking about for more than 30 minutes and he isn't much variety in the way he talks about stuff so it gets pretty boring the longer it goes on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What's funny is his videos on actually interesting topics like the History Channel or Pawn Stars are 20-40 minutes long.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Quinton's best videos are his 3-part series on the History channel and those are fantastically paced, barely wasting any time or going overly long. The only one that gets even close to a full hour is the one on nazi documentaries and that deserves it for its fantastic payoff. Maybe the closer he gets to his Nicktoons comfort area the more rambling he gets.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Groovelord Neato posted:

What's funny is his videos on actually interesting topics like the History Channel or Pawn Stars are 20-40 minutes long.

It would be nice to see one on Storage award only because of how manipulated the show is, but as a result made storage auctions skyrocket in price because people thought there could be a hidden treasure inside

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

bobjr posted:

It would be nice to see one on Storage award only because of how manipulated the show is, but as a result made storage auctions skyrocket in price because people thought there could be a hidden treasure inside

The professional vultures getting pissed at the flood of new people trying to strike gold by picking through other people's keepsakes is the best thing to come out of Storage Wars.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Quintion...Quinton sweet.

Doll.

You need help.

https://youtu.be/dGhDiEt0rSQ

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pigbuster posted:

Quinton's best videos are his 3-part series on the History channel and those are fantastically paced, barely wasting any time or going overly long. The only one that gets even close to a full hour is the one on nazi documentaries and that deserves it for its fantastic payoff. Maybe the closer he gets to his Nicktoons comfort area the worse he gets.

I feel like he's embarking on these longer videos hoping to find a point to them by then end, and that only works if there is one. These should be 20 minute fallen titans videos but there are barely any exclamation points there, so he paradoxically just tries to pile on more in the hopes of impact.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

stillvisions posted:

I feel like he's embarking on these longer videos hoping to find a point to them by then end, and that only works if there is one. These should be 20 minute fallen titans videos but there are barely any exclamation points there, so he paradoxically just tries to pile on more in the hopes of impact.

the moffat approach

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think if your making a video that goes over 30-45 minutes then you have to be really compelling in your presentation or be talking about something really interesting to justify the length.

Quinton's biggest issue is that most of his videos are on things that just aren't worth talking about for more than 30 minutes and there isn't much variety in the way he talks about stuff so it gets pretty boring the longer it goes on.

A lot of these videos getting longer and longer feels like the result of needing an editor willing to cut things out but not really having someone to tell them that since YouTube is mostly self made

I'm early in Quintons iCarly vid and he's spent ten minutes ranting about the size of the apartment and like...sure, it's amusing, but did we really need this, and I'm dreading the rest of the vid having tons of these long asides that don't add anything in a video that already doesn't appear to have a point outside "I watched this show"

Sarah Z's McElroy vid was the worst, it was supposedly about how the fanbase turned on them but it was such an exhaustive recap of what ends up being such a minor thing, a dnd run was disappointing, and some folks started getting tired with them around that. We didn't need 2 hours for this, most of this saga could have fit in 40 minutes just fine

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'll take a shot at the point of the Fred video, or what his intended point was.

How did Fred get marked as the worst thing on youtube? How does anything get marked as the worst of youtube? There's a lot of media that just gets called bad, but people mainly take Youtube bloggers word for it and don't actually watch it.

My only exposure to Fred before this was 10 seconds from Tosh.0 from back in the day. And assumed it was just random humor again, not something with an actual character to it or lore that ran that deep.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I had the Fred thing on in the background while I looked for bacteria in Elite, so I listened to the whole thing. I'd say the worst part was when he talked about the TV show. Maybe because he was the only person who watched it or because he had heard it was terrible but didn't find it any worse than other kids show, he felt he needed to literally spend like 10 minutes each to explain what happened in every single episode. I think there was sort of a point before this, exploring how Fred started off as an dark comedy about a 6 year old in a world that hates him, specifically, but slowly just sort of morphed into an odd kids show. But yo there was no reason at all to spend like over an hour explaining the plots of every single episode of a poorly received and remembered sitcom on Nickelodeon. I kept like... waiting for there to be a reason for him to go through every episode one by one, to signal an interesting turn or something. But no. The tone and content remained the same throughout, even if some characters disappeared because they were doing other things. The editing to splice in clips and video should've been editing to just take that poo poo out.

I actually sort of understood why Fred was popular for the first time in my life when the actual content of the channel was explained, and understood why it didn't just repel everyone as it became more mainstream by realizing it's just one of those teenage sitcoms with the voice of one character sped up. It was also funny how once Nick got their hands on it they tried very hard to give Fred a case of the Not Gays, probably because the show was popular with girls. It's also pretty remarkable that a 13 year old making jokes about a 6 year old being raised in an abusive household by making his voice sound like a Halo grunt became one of the first big crossover hits, although I think the guys who made Perfecto and The Bu defining about a decade and a half of mainstream comedy is far more interesting.

So yeah you could cut like half of that video out and it'd still be an exhaustive look at Fred.

v - Seeing that the Clown Girl did an exhaustive video on Warrior Cats when I thought that was just a really funny yahoo answers question that MBMBAM found once was what made me realize I was old.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 15, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember when icarly was on. I was too old for it. Lmao. This is what it’s like to get old.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dovi posted:

The Fred video ruled and summarising the Nickelodeon show was the best part

:yeah:

Like maybe it's because I was really only just listening to it while playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 but I was never bored during the Fred video. Q actually made me interested in the history of this weird pop culture phenomenon that completely passed me by, and I thought the ending where Lucas came out of the closet and ended Fred for good was actually pretty heartwarming. :unsmith:

Q's vids have always been "Hey guys, here's this weird thing that existed, here's how this weird thing changed over time. Heres how this weird thing ended for good. Heres how this weird thing came back!" etc. Sure, he's not as funny as Hbomb or insightful as Noah Gervais, (but then again who is?) but it's still pretty fascinating imo.

I'm watching his Icarly video right now :getin:

BigRed0427 posted:

I'll take a shot at the point of the Fred video, or what his intended point was.

How did Fred get marked as the worst thing on youtube? How does anything get marked as the worst of youtube? There's a lot of media that just gets called bad, but people mainly take Youtube bloggers word for it and don't actually watch it.

My only exposure to Fred before this was 10 seconds from Tosh.0 from back in the day. And assumed it was just random humor again, not something with an actual character to it or lore that ran that deep.

also yeah this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I remember when icarly was on. I was too old for it. Lmao. This is what it’s like to get old.

I always forget how young Quinton is because that's a rough 24.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Quniton does good stuff sometimes but yeah I'm not down for multiple hour videos about nicelodeon shows I didn't watch unless I hear very good things about it.

And I watched that 4 hour Tim Rodgers video on that japanese dating game lol.

Other than his history channel stuff I really liked Quinton's Garfield Travelogue. I was/am a big fat garfield fan though.

DeafNote posted:

They are all still far better than Mauler because they add something called 'subjective opinions' to their videos.

And again Quinton is lucky I can put his videos on the background while I am doing other stuff. Maybe thats what he preys upon.
Ironically 'I can put them on in the background while I do something else for literal hours' is a very common reason people give for liking Mauler's stuff.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 15, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

I always forget how young Quinton is because that's a rough 24.

Lol yeah.

I was in HS when icarly started. So him saying i obviously remember all these things is just lol uh ok. Yeah it was on. I saw it. But I’d not remember poo poo about it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

Ironically 'I can put them on in the background while I do something else for literal hours' is a very common reason people give for liking Mauler's stuff.

But to be fair to Q, he's not a pretentious smug insufferable hack who doesn't understand how movies (or art in general) works, he's just a guy giving you the compressive history of weird internet stuff.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I may put the iCarly video on as background noise, but I can't understand how you can get 4 hours of content out of iCarly of all things. Jenny Nicholson was able to squeeze an analysis of The Vampire Diaries into 2 hours, couldn't Quinton at least try to do something similar?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's poetic not ironic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

“i had a video on in the background and i wasn’t bored” is like the most backhanded compliment you can give something

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

on the sliding scale of actual essay do to summary longer than the actual thing being summarized. Quinton is worse than sfdebris but better than nightmind. Has mercifully less completely unedited content from the source material than nightmind. You have to go through several more steps of boredom before you reach the bottom.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Lol yeah.

I was in HS when icarly started. So him saying i obviously remember all these things is just lol uh ok. Yeah it was on. I saw it. But I’d not remember poo poo about it.

iCarly to me is just "that show starring the girl from School of Rock" because I was almost done with college when it premiered.

I got maybe 10 minutes in the Fred video and clicked off to relisten to his Chills video. The voice is so funny.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

“i had a video on in the background and i wasn’t bored” is like the most backhanded compliment you can give something

I also said this

Jamie Faith posted:

Q actually made me interested in the history of this weird pop culture phenomenon that completely passed me by,

I just think people are taking this too seriously imo. It's fun to just listen to someone talk about weird stuff for a few hours imo. I liked Sarah Zs Mcelroy vid, I liked Qs Fred vid, and I'm probably going to enjoy his Icarly vid now lol

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ghostlight posted:

That's poetic not ironic.
The true irony is my posting is bad.

Jamie Faith posted:

But to be fair to Q, he's not a pretentious smug insufferable hack who doesn't understand how movies (or art in general) works, he's just a guy giving you the compressive history of weird internet stuff.
Oh for sure I just thought it was a funny parallel.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

The true irony is my posting is bad.

Oh for sure I just thought it was a funny parallel.

Yeah like I get long form content like this isnt for everyone. Some people just want you to hurry up and get to the point and not waste their time in the slightest, which is totally valid. But there's also people like me who have a lot of free time and just want a youtube person to keep them company for a bit

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Terrible Opinions posted:

on the sliding scale of actual essay do to summary longer than the actual thing being summarized. Quinton is worse than sfdebris but better than nightmind. Has mercifully less completely unedited content from the source material than nightmind. You have to go through several more steps of boredom before you reach the bottom.

Oh god Nightmind is insufferable. loving 4 hour videos on 20 minute Adult Swim sketches.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think it’s fine if people want to make long videos. Nothing wrong with that, and if it’s not for you it’s not for you. No big deal

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah like I get long form content like this isnt for everyone. Some people just want you to hurry up and get to the point and not waste their time in the slightest, which is totally valid. But there's also people like me who have a lot of free time and just want a youtube person to keep them company for a bit
The length of Quinton's stuff doesn't really phase me given that I listen to long form history podcasts and audiobooks all the time, but he really could use an edittor to just make it so his stuff wouldn't sag so much in the middle. Like I'd prefer something more akin to his Garfield and History Channel stuff where most of the content is Quinton's direct personal take rather than just summarizing the thing that happened. Hell that's what the best parts of the Fred vid were, explaining his understanding of the character and how the shows worked, rather than the hour plus of pure summary.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

All im saying is, if my subscription box is giving me 4 hours of a Nick Sitcom that air well past the point I was watching nickelodeon and a 20 minuet video about how much Blair White sucks, im singing the nickelodeon theme all 5he way home baby

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I actually love long videos because I just have them on while I work, but occasionally with some videos even half paying attention you can tell there isn't enough material in here worth listening to or the maker isn't interesting enough to hold it for that long. Noah can do it, hbomb can do it, Jose basically does "entire show retrospective" really well, Quinton feels better in shorter bursts when he's making a strong single point or recapping a bunch of smaller related things in one go

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

8one6 posted:

Oh god Nightmind is insufferable. loving 4 hour videos on 20 minute Adult Swim sketches.

To be fair, it's Alan Resnick stuff he's talking about there, which are actually dense as hell despite short runtime with cool weird sneaky ties to other stuff he's done and so on, including a bunch of outside the sketch material.

Also looking it up, one of the videos on those was 30 minutes and the other was an hour thirty, so not that over the top.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

like the problem isn’t “video long lol” if a video needs several hours to tell the story that’s very much fine (tho i prefer it in parts at that point) but it needs to be paced well and actually sustain the runtime. there needs to be a payoff.

also again i’m not really into watching an almost 5 hour video on a show that dan schneider used to fuel his lust for children’s feet

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

also again i’m not really into watching an almost 5 hour video on a show that dan schneider used to fuel his lust for children’s feet

I mean yeah that's valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I dunno, part of it is I recently also watched CJTheX's mostly iCarly video which was 'only' 80 minutes and I feel like it definitely had more to say and more interesting framing than what Quinton's video will based on his previous videos on shows and the like. But to be fair it's not like I've watched his iCarly video to say that for sure. I probably won't either unless it gets rave reviews. At least the Fred one is about a human disaster which makes framing a lot easier, and also I haven't recently watched a great video on the exact same topic.

E: Also I don't really get the 'putting it on in the background' concept, like these are videos and not podcasts. Aren't people afraid of missing poo poo if they're not watching it reasonably attentively? It especially feels weird for videos about TV-shows because presumably the visuals are going to play a reasonably large part of at least some sections of the review.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2021