Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

it did spawn that cool little microsystem of people holding the yalm vendors open and shouting in trade/ooc about the low req yalms :3

e; its kind of funny how games have changed and thus so have the experiences involved with the people in them. as but one small example, AO and similar games, most of the poo poo in the game (at least back closer to when it was new) you absolutely needed help to accomplish. Whether it was just grabbing a nelebs robe or guardian tank armor or some outdoor poo poo, whatever. i think this necessitated a lot more selflessness and genuine team oriented thinking.

you can find that in any game, not even with much difficulty if youre socially active in them, but what stands out was how many people- even strangers in the game- were willing to dedicate literal hours into the crack of dawn to help you/whoever else youre with get some stupid item thats a rare drop off of a boss thats a rare spawn. or the random tradeskillers youd see doing things like walking people how to do their first custom implant setups and helping them twink it on for noobs they'd never talked to

perhaps in some ways the open-ness of the professions to be able to have a lot of varying playstyles lent itself to that too, group comp could be basically whatever you wanted it to be for a lot of content w skilled players

Look no further than the evolution from the earlier games such as Everquest. You absolutely needed help, and you needed to wait around for health and mana to regen. Anarchy Online evolved from that, to the use of science to remove the wait time, but you still needed help. Now games are adding mercenary characters you can purchase to assist, and making multi-boxing easier through mindless combat, and increasing solo play activities. The daily mission system obliterated group play in AO and I hate it... But is the technology just following the trend, or are the designers setting the trend? I don't think people want to group or socially interact with others like we used to. Look around AO for role-players. You will find some, but there used to be dozens of orgs dedicated to roleplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

yeah you nailed it

'altho, well tbf there used to be dozens of orgs so that does not help

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Actually combined armor is cheap now, that 1 Grace I sold pays for a set and lots of other kit too

Insane huh

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Statutory Ape posted:

its kind of funny how a noob would probably struggle to grab the 5 mil for a yalm or whatev meanwhile veterans are like ugh i have to make yet another account to store my riches

Last time I logged in some rando just gave me 50m. :homebrew:

Floob posted:

Look no further than the evolution from the earlier games such as Everquest. You absolutely needed help, and you needed to wait around for health and mana to regen. Anarchy Online evolved from that, to the use of science to remove the wait time, but you still needed help. Now games are adding mercenary characters you can purchase to assist, and making multi-boxing easier through mindless combat, and increasing solo play activities. The daily mission system obliterated group play in AO and I hate it... But is the technology just following the trend, or are the designers setting the trend? I don't think people want to group or socially interact with others like we used to. Look around AO for role-players. You will find some, but there used to be dozens of orgs dedicated to roleplay.

I have a very specific memory of looking for groups at 20k while listening to Dvorak and I don't know why this is the one memory that has stayed, decades later, but it'd be fun to get a pickup group and just shoot mobs.
:member:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have a very specific memory of looking for groups at 20k while listening to Dvorak and I don't know why this is the one memory that has stayed, decades later, but it'd be fun to get a pickup group and just shoot mobs.

lol man. hanging out in (i think thats the area) by the Virusbuilder camp (it was also called 4x4 colloquially) and the bothacker camp in teh same zone to the north (aka 8x8)

between those 2 camps + TOTW you could pretty much outdoors yourself to the cyborgs in mort, where if you didnt know how to kite mobs before, u got a crash course

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Anarchy Online has remained, and probably will be my favorite MMO of all time, and the one I continuously go back to when I'm feeling nostalgic. The story they built and political landscape is just awesome. The graphics were beautiful for the time, and I think the artwork still holds up today. They did social clothing right, so better than any other game at the time, you could identify another player, out of hundreds just by their clothing. Having a real name as well as nick name opened up even more roleplay options, and the world just felt "real" At the end of a day hunting the Blaster Beetle, or shades in Greater Tir Country, you could pull up a barstool at Reets Retreat and actually strike up conversations with other players completely in character. Not for everyone, sure, but I loved it! This game will always be special to me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

never not miirs tux shirt imho

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The casual roleplaying, sense of community, and general atmosphere back in the day combined to make something I don't think I have experienced in any game since. I remember having friends that had chipped in to buy me Grid Armor 4 for my birthday one year, and one of those Syndicate Messenger SMG's another time for my higher level fixer. I don't think I ever hit 220, maybe 218 or something on my fixer, 210 or something on a soldier, but I remember those last levels taking forever but a 215 or so was essentially not much different then a 220 if your gear was decent.

I also remember having I believe a 60 martial artist twink, I think 60 was the max level to get into Temple of The Three Winds, and I got that character decked out in that pink MA dress and a bunch of good gear and implants. Then just terminating whenever getting close to leveling. I could solo everything in there without too much effort, which was a feat back then, and I whenever a friend needed that tank armor, some of the weapons, or those NCU drops I would always give them run throughs and thoroughly enjoyed it was proud to have a character that could do it.

That sense of community was something else, and I remember not only running my friends through ToTw but just logging on out there on that MA and running strangers through just for the fun of it and to be helpful, and people being genuinely grateful.

Lots of people had regular "hang out spots" where you could usually find them, just sitting around chatting was a legitimate way to "play the game". Running around exploring and soaking up the atmosphere gave me a genuine sense of awe and wonder, and there was tons of cool stuff to find out in the middle of no where that they put in the game you would never find without just wandering around. Good times!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The Bronto Burger in Omni Trade was where my guild hung out and it is usually the first place I go whenever I log back in...which will probably be soon.

I wonder if I could ever find my apartment in Jove, if I could ever get back to Jove...

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

The Bronto Burger in Omni Trade was where my guild hung out and it is usually the first place I go whenever I log back in...which will probably be soon.

I wonder if I could ever find my apartment in Jove, if I could ever get back to Jove...

Lux apartment? You can teleport to Jobe from the major cities through the Woompa, just a matter of remembering what platform you were on when you keyed it. I think mine is in "the Harbor" I don't use it often. Last time I was in there me and a friend put down some decorations. Going there now just makes me sad.

Yeah Whisper's Edge always hung out Around BY4 in West Athens, or in "The Cup" until we got a city and hung out there a lot. When I was with the Red Tigers we would hang out near the Grid terminal in Old Athens under the big tree...

OT cities are mostly barren, and you will find most of them hanging out in Borealis these days.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

West Athens is an OT city :colbert:

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

West Athens is an OT city :colbert:

Am I missing the joke? West Athens is literally the starting Rubi-Ka city for clanners. Sorry if I missed the joke :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

Am I missing the joke? West Athens is literally the starting Rubi-Ka city for clanners. Sorry if I missed the joke :)

I think it's a lore joke that it was founded by OT. Neutral seems like the best choice, too bad you can't wipe affiliation.

Having always played Omni, seeing the Rebel zones was fun when I got teleport around to boop people out of geometry!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Floob posted:

lol the clans stole it from omni tech :)

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

lol the clans stole it from omni tech :)

Ah yes, gotcha :) To be fair, OT owned everything before the war, so yeah, I guess they can be bitter.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Years ago, and, until recently, I had this kind of back burner hope that cyberpunk 2077 was going to reignite some passion in video games for the setting. I was hoping it would spur either a similar enough game or, funcom is nothing if not opportunistic, possibly a sequel to AO if the game had been a smashing hit.

I feel like with modern conveniences, there's still plenty of stories to be told on a place like Rubi ka.

One of the more fun small group experiences in RPGs was doing max level missions in AO with a well geared 190-199 group. Throw the sliders the right way (I do not remember the settings anymore) and you would pretty reliably get hell hounds every time. Low low NR and kiteable but hit like God damned trucks.

I miss this games little quirks that you don't see too much in games anymore. I quickly learned on my fixer that if somebody in my group died I could meep before it zoned them and they game would cancel the death and they'd pop into the grid with 1 hp and 0 XP loss.

Group had to walk back but nobody ever complained because, lol, that xp pool the newbies like didn't always exist and we all knew that pain. It did make me a lot of friends and also blew a few ppls minds if I was the first one to do that for them

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I think for me, the main thing that's never been replicated anywhere else is the twinking. You can do some absurd stuff with a little game knowledge and a spreadsheet

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

mfcrocker posted:

I think for me, the main thing that's never been replicated anywhere else is the twinking. You can do some absurd stuff with a little game knowledge and a spreadsheet

It's legendary, but I never got into it myself. My main is a Martial Artist, and besides almost always going with fists, until I got those batons at end game, I have personally almost never gotten buffed into a piece of gear. Before the social clothing was live, I was always swapping out my gear, and I hated not being able to do that myself, so it just became a habit. I will at every chance I get find a buff to run a higher level pet on my MP and Engineers. It's critical to that class. I can self cast a red pet, but if you want to tackle things that others can do solo, you will need a seriously high level pet. Especially with how janky the agro system is in AO.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Floob posted:

It's legendary, but I never got into it myself. My main is a Martial Artist, and besides almost always going with fists, until I got those batons at end game, I have personally almost never gotten buffed into a piece of gear. Before the social clothing was live, I was always swapping out my gear, and I hated not being able to do that myself, so it just became a habit. I will at every chance I get find a buff to run a higher level pet on my MP and Engineers. It's critical to that class. I can self cast a red pet, but if you want to tackle things that others can do solo, you will need a seriously high level pet. Especially with how janky the agro system is in AO.

Honestly, the implant system was a stroke of genius.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

mfcrocker posted:

Honestly, the implant system was a stroke of genius.

That's a good point. I have never seen a game with the amount of freedom and potential as AO. I remember when the Alien Invasion expansion was announced. I told a friend of mine at the time "Man, did they pick the wrong planet to attack!" Most games your leveling system is so static. Hit level 5, cast level 5 nano or use level 5 weapon. Allowing you to separate skill from level to some degree, sure your level does grant you some additional potential, but if you can just squeeze into some gloves, or an implant, you can fight like a level 10, at level 5.

My MA has some pretty decent gear, but by no means the best. I can pull max slider missions and fight level 250 mobs, and roll through them like a runaway freight train with ease.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
TRADER twinning was insane with implants

Being able to skill drain jump implants into higher and higher tier skill drains until you were just a god

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Just reminded of how stupid the daily missions are. I want to get my Engineer to level 100, so I figure I would do these to help. At 60 you get about a level and a half for completing them. The first one I took I had to bring a guy a burst of speed stim... Love the exp, but these are really stupid... Better than grinding 100% I guess, and I'm not giving Funcom $50 for a heckler Juice, so just have to suck it up.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What's a good duo for boxing? I was thinking trader and keeper for a combination of resilience, calms, and debuffs, but I'd like also like to give NT another shot; massive AoE nukes are Good (these are subscribed accounts, and I have plenty of credits)

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

What's a good duo for boxing? I was thinking trader and keeper for a combination of resilience, calms, and debuffs, but I'd like also like to give NT another shot; massive AoE nukes are Good

I only ever duo for the buffs or travel, utility, but if you're able to skillfully wrangle two keyboards and play the characters at the same time, a pair of MA's are meat grinders at most levels. Speaking for myself and my inability to properly combat things with two characters at once, I love a crat/MP duo. The pets are going to be nasty, and you get the benefit of a heal pet, and some great crown control. Both of those classes are expensive though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

What's a good duo for boxing? I was thinking trader and keeper for a combination of resilience, calms, and debuffs, but I'd like also like to give NT another shot; massive AoE nukes are Good (these are subscribed accounts, and I have plenty of credits)

Keeper can have trouble keeping aggro if your other character's the squishier type, since they don't get taunts. I would suggest anything with a taunt or very good dps + a doc, crat + any dps including keeper.

If you want to play NT, imo they don't go that well in a 2box but keeper has the nano aura and is a very hands-off class, however has a tough time keeping aggro off the NT.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

please knock Mom! posted:

Keeper can have trouble keeping aggro if your other character's the squishier type, since they don't get taunts. I would suggest anything with a taunt or very good dps + a doc, crat + any dps including keeper.

If you want to play NT, imo they don't go that well in a 2box but keeper has the nano aura and is a very hands-off class, however has a tough time keeping aggro off the NT.

I read about one player who multiboxed a team of NT's but he had scripted the computer so they all did identical actions. That way he just kited everything and burned them to the ground. Sillly as hell I'm sure watching a group of NT's running around, but I guess it worked.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Multiboxing AO with any of the multiboxing tools isn't overly complex. I was using autohotkey at the time but I believe using InnerSpace/ISBoxer would make it even easier. I used to run a 6 man team by myself and farmed Albtrum or whatever its called. If they ever lowered the sub price I would gladly do it again. Just being able to solo Inferno missions was super handy for leveling alts.

Edit: My group was: Enf, Doc, Fixer, Soldier, MP and Crat.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The 20th anniversary stuff has been announced and it's pretty underwhelming

https://forums.funcom.com/t/zomg-ao-20th-anniversary-event-june-16-july-14/170912
https://forums.funcom.com/t/new-items-anniversary-patch/170874

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Ehh... no sub discounts. Guess instead of couple accounts for a few months at -50% price they get couple accounts for 0 months at no price at all from me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am trying to find people to play with what is the best way to hook up with goons?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

I am trying to find people to play with what is the best way to hook up with goons?

lmk when you find out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmk when you find out

For real, I am very lost and want to learn how to play after being away for years and years.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

I think most of them quit tbh. I alternate between this game and eq1. You can send a tell to Oberhau, I’m leveling a solo keeper

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I said come in! posted:

We did have an Omni org but its dead as can be. I nominally have one toon still in there with invite powers but I wouldn't be able to promote anyone to have invite powers and I don't really want to reactivate that account anyway

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The thread title should be past tense really

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Statutory Ape posted:

I thought that was the joke

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lorem ipsum posted:

I thought that was the joke

yeah its clear some ppl arent getting it

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Oh yeah, did that graphics update ever release? I vaguely remember hearing it kept getting pushed back. Can’t even remember how long ago it was at this point.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Statutory Ape posted:

Shut it!

Tabletops posted:

Oh yeah, did that graphics update ever release? I vaguely remember hearing it kept getting pushed back. Can’t even remember how long ago it was at this point.

Ya it got released a number of years ago, doesn't work in the steam version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Its gently caress'd to think that the graphics update has been failed longer than its been conceived at this point i think

which is remarkable when you remember how long it took them to conceive and attempt to implement the idea