Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1402685586108993537?s=20

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I hope Houston is able to massage the situation into a landing spot for Deshaun.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Who would even take him now? Seems like it’s a triangulation problem: cap hit, draft picks, and a market who thinks smoke doesn’t mean fire.

As we speak, there’s a big-brained MBA running the numbers. And that’s sad and gross.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bob Socko posted:

Who would even take him now?

There are definitely going to be teams who think they can get a 26 year old franchise QB on the cheap and are willing to eat the PR hit and he's grown and learned or they were lying or whatever once all the lawsuits are settled

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Bob Socko posted:

If there is one thing I have absolute faith in, it is the NFL being completely morally bankrupt.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ray Lewis won NFL Man of the Year after spending months in jail for obstruction relating to a multiple murder he definitely committed.

Most Used Words in Ray Lewis Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bob Socko posted:

loving lmao

if nothing comes of it, like nothing probably will(nothing being anything serious, he probably eats like a 4-6 game suspension), there are a number of teams who would take him. I'd bet more than half the league would be interested.

He's a top 5ish QB who's like 25 years old.

PR hits are temporary, and if you have a competent PR/Marketing team It can easily be flipped into a redemption story, and everyone* loving eats up a redemption story.

The only way this dude doesn't find another team to play for in the NFL is if a video comes out of him sexually assaulting someone.

*everyone being normal media and fans of football who don't interrogate anything.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Yeah any GM in danger of being fired for not getting a QB will be in the market for him unless he's suspended for multiple seasons.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Hope this wasn’t here yet, very detailed story from SI:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/21/new-information-proper-context-for-deshaun-watson-sexual-misconduct-lawsuits-daily-cover

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

quote:

About two weeks after the first suits against Watson were filed, a lawyer who said he was representing Texans owner Cal McNair did approach both attorneys, seeking to broker a mediation. A statement from the Texans organization, emailed by a team spokesperson, says, “Mr. McNair was aware that his personal attorney contacted both parties to suggest mediation. Mr. McNair has had no personal involvement in any of those discussions. The Houston Texans organization has not had any direct contact with either party.”

cal mcnair
-no personal involvement in a mediation
-personal lawyer just happened to offer to broker a mediation

texans
-no "direct contact" with either party

you're telling me the texans haven't been in direct contact with their star qb (whom they're presumably trying to avoid trading) in three months? and that cal mcnair's lawyer just happened to show up with mcnair's knowledge and mcnair had no direct involvement in engaging in mediation?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
One thing lawyers for super rich people are generally known for is taking the initiative and doing things before telling their bosses so it checks out

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Declan MacManus posted:

cal mcnair
-no personal involvement in a mediation
-personal lawyer just happened to offer to broker a mediation

texans
-no "direct contact" with either party

you're telling me the texans haven't been in direct contact with their star qb (whom they're presumably trying to avoid trading) in three months? and that cal mcnair's lawyer just happened to show up with mcnair's knowledge and mcnair had no direct involvement in engaging in mediation?

tbf hasn't the story out of the Texans been that Deshaun isn't talking to management or ownership at all and is just asking to be traded with no chance of negotiation.

That part wouldn't shock me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, Deshaun's been adamant all 2021 that he's played his last game there, so I can believe both that 1) the Texans have tried to contact him anyway, and 2) they haven't been successful at trying that

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

While watson clearly isn't trustworthy, I can also believe that cal McNair thought he could somehow fix it by getting watson out of this mess and making him feel obliged to stay in Houston. Mostly because this plan is dumb as poo poo, and that fits cal.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

fast cars loose anus posted:

One thing lawyers for super rich people are generally known for is taking the initiative and doing things before telling their bosses so it checks out

yeah but what do words even mean anymore? McNair for example could have told his lawyer, "hey go see if you can mediate this dispute but keep me out of it" and bing bong so simple now his lawyer shows up but without McNair's "involvement" :shepface:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dexo posted:

loving lmao

if nothing comes of it, like nothing probably will(nothing being anything serious, he probably eats like a 4-6 game suspension), there are a number of teams who would take him. I'd bet more than half the league would be interested.

He's a top 5ish QB who's like 25 years old.

PR hits are temporary, and if you have a competent PR/Marketing team It can easily be flipped into a redemption story, and everyone* loving eats up a redemption story.

The only way this dude doesn't find another team to play for in the NFL is if a video comes out of him sexually assaulting someone.

*everyone being normal media and fans of football who don't interrogate anything.
Yeah if Michael Vick was able to get another chance after doing time and being responsible for animal death, a bunch of civil lawsuits (albeit for a really hosed up act) isn't gonna stop a team from going after Deshaun.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Michael Vick not only went to prison, afterwards he did (and still does) about all you could ask for to demonstrate guilt and work toward educating children and communities on why what he did was bad. I somehow doubt Watson will display similar penitence

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

yea vick went thru the system and got rehabilitated

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

vick had a really hard time landing with another team didn’t he?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

No. He had multiple offers.

The league even intervened to keep him from going to the bengals.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Declan MacManus posted:

No, he like immediately got a job with the Eagles

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

What? Why?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The league made sure he ended up with Andy Reid.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They figured if went to the then bengals his next criminal enterprise would likely involve human trafficking.

Also at the time Reid was considered a good father figure.

Nodoze posted:

No, he like immediately got a job with the Eagles

Yeah he had a workout that I remember ESPN covered and after that it was a matter of when, not if

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The Bengals have a prolific history of arrests lol

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the bengals loving rule

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
at being bad

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris Henry alone had like a dozen arrests and died from falling out of a truck while in a domestic dispute with his wife.

I miss him so much, that was like the WCW NWO era of the NFL.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The NFL is better when at least one team is openly and unashamedly criminal. Just like it's better when at least one is openly and hilariously incompetent.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

The NFL is better when at least one team is openly and unashamedly criminal.

This is still true and it's always the broncos and everyone's always too busy laughing at John Elway to notice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GD_American posted:

The NFL is better when at least one team is openly and unashamedly criminal. Just like it's better when at least one is openly and hilariously incompetent.

So the Ravens with Ray Lewis doesn’t count as this I guess since he went full Jesus.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's Bill Romanowsky up to these days?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Bill Romanowsky up to these days?

Complaining about his many brain injuries, being racist, doing roids.

He did some interview years back where part of it was him driving around his neighborhood talking about how he'll randomly forget where he lives.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sour Diesel posted:

yea vick went thru the system and got rehabilitated

I'm not trying to suggest he didn't, but there was a lot of hate from the public when he went to jail, and there were questions about if he'd play again.

I wonder if he's still having money issues.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 16, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

that was a bad time to live in atlanta and still listen to sports radio.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

So they were looking out for him ?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FizFashizzle posted:

that was a bad time to live in atlanta and still listen to sports radio.

Was that the heyday of the 2 Live Stus or am I conflating it with something else?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1419296225052876802

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I have a feeling the NFL was hoping he’d just not report so they could take the chickenshit route of doing nothing.

They have to put him on the exempt list for now while they finish their investigation and the civil and criminal cases play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It is kind of insane for the NFL to suspend him after the Texans fined him to show.

Either there is no coordination or nothing is gonna happen