Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Douchebag posted:

I've had one since forever, I don't even know when I bought it. Has to be 20 years old maybe? I've had a half dozen putters since I got it, and I still go back to it. Its the most comfortable one I have ever used. I've never used a real high end one like a Cameron though.

Still can't putt for poo poo though.

I lost state in High school with an Odyssey white hot #5. Still love it and I’ll also never get rid of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

shyduck posted:

I don't use the 2-ball but I love the White Hot insert

Unrelated, but yesterday somebody died from a lightning strike at a course not far from where I live. It's possibly the first lightning-related death in the country this year. Be careful out there

Queue my wife saying "loving idiots" when we are sitting on our back porch and watching golfers tee off on #15 behind our house when its thundering all around us.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

shyduck posted:

Unrelated, but yesterday somebody died from a lightning strike at a course not far from where I live. It's possibly the first lightning-related death in the country this year. Be careful out there

He should’ve kept a 1 iron in his bag to hold above his head in a lighting storm.

…even God can’t hit it

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

He should’ve kept a 1 iron in his bag to hold above his head in a lighting storm.

…even God can’t hit it

This is the very first golf joke my grandpa told me ~30 years ago.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

My dad told it to me one as soon as I graduated from par 3 courses and went with him to a real course haha.

e: post your best golf dad jokes. That’s the only one I can think of.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 10, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

My dad told it to me one as soon as I graduated from par 3 courses and went with him to a real course haha.

e: post your best golf dad jokes. That’s the only one I can think of.

If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man and wife golfing. His tee shot goes hard right, behind a maintenance barn. He sees that the barn opens both sides, so he tells his wife to open the other door and he'll hit thru the gap. She goes around and opens the door and waits. After a.minute, she sticks her head around the door to see about the delay. He hits just then, striking her between the eyes and killing her.

Two years later, remarried, playing same course, man hits to the same place. Wife says, hey, both sides open, I'll go open the other side, and you can hit thru the opening. He turns pale, tells her, "No! This has happened before, and I got double bogey!"

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Golfed with a really big hitter, great driver of the golf ball. And a fan of label makers, apparently.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Would only be perfect if he had a small strip of lead tape on the underside to counterbalance.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nerox posted:

Queue my wife saying "loving idiots" when we are sitting on our back porch and watching golfers tee off on #15 behind our house when its thundering all around us.

“I don’t think the heavy stuff is gonna come for a while”

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played with random three golfers today. A married couple, "this is his birthday present! I've never played before!" And, 22 year old, "I've been playing for a year."

Played from tees at 6400 yards, so moderate length. Husband had wife tee off with us...even though the course has forced carry on many holes. She didn't want to hold us up, and was good about picking up but he was terrible, too. Kept the pace up, so it didn't negatively impact me. But, man I've never wanted to give advice more.

The young kid just imitated me. Started with driver, then noticed I hit lots of irons off the tee. Except, I hit irons off the tee because I can hit the fairway at about 210 yards consistently. He hit whatever he was hitting 150 or so and everywhere. More desire to give advice almost overwhelming.

I cannot believe I managed to get thru with only one bit of advice (told husband there were holes ahead with a lot of carry from the tee and maybe she would have more fun from the forward tees, and she moved up).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm playing at OGA tomorrow and I cannot contain my excitement. It's been forever since I've played a really nice course. How do y'all deal with the anxiety of having to wait for a tee time at a nice course the following day?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Edibles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

…even God can’t hit it
This is a bad joke because even my weak rear end 105mph high school swingspeed played a 1 iron. :colbert:

(I only used it to tee off on short par 4s)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Does anyone remember that video of the high school/college football player with the absolutely crazy driver swing — putting his head in a cage made of his arms at right angles — that went viral earlier this year? Trying to send to a friend and can't for the life of me find it.

e: it was like this swing but not this video https://www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/crazy-reverse-golf-swing-causes-social-media-meltdown

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 12, 2021

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Mederlock posted:

Has anyone here used the old-school Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putters, or any of their White-hot putters for that matter? They look cool to me, but I'm not sure about performance.

I play using one. I like them because they are heavy enough that I can treat the putter like a pendulum. Didn't know it was old school though... 😆

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone tried the new Cobra 3d printed putters yet? I really like the mallet style ones but I have yet to see any of them in the wild.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Shrapnig posted:

Would only be perfect if he had a small strip of lead tape on the underside to counterbalance.

He did mention that it was hot melted, wonder if it was on when it was done. Be was really piping them with a tiny draw some times times. A pleasure to witness.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The 7i on my new-to-me Pings is missing the tuning weight :mad:

Wondering if I should just send the entire set to Ping to replace it and re-glue the rest

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

shyduck posted:

The 7i on my new-to-me Pings is missing the tuning weight :mad:

Wondering if I should just send the entire set to Ping to replace it and re-glue the rest

What model iron? The i20s had a huge problem with this. I had a set and maybe sent individual irons back to Ping a dozen times, including the same iron multiple times. The glue they used was poor. I think they’ve corrected that problem with the newer clubs.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They're the i25s so it's probably the same issue. I'll just send in the entire set to be safe

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Game is so demoralizing sometimes. I must've donated at least 20 balls to Poseidon today. Playing "bogey golf" would be a dream.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
So I did some math on my 18birdies stats from yesterday.

If I take out my 9 penalties, and remove 1 putt from every hole that was listed as a 3+ putt hole then my score would’ve been a 96 (average par for that course is a 94). Which means I have to make straighter shots to prevent penalties, and need to get better at putting.

So to summarize all I need to do to reduce my score is get better at golf.

[edit]

I found my new putter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001995122333.html

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 14, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: The U.S. Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970622 :siren:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If everything goes well today, I should be able to install the impact screen and set up my Skytrak. After that, I'll just need to get side curtains to catch shanks and a net at the top to catch any flop shots.

Everything is finally coming together.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Daric posted:

If everything goes well today, I should be able to install the impact screen and set up my Skytrak. After that, I'll just need to get side curtains to catch shanks and a net at the top to catch any flop shots.

Everything is finally coming together.

What are you thinking for Side curtains? Something like this? https://www.amcraftindustrialcurtainwall.com/

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I’m still looking into that. There’s a company called Peak Tarps that makes heavy stage curtains that apparently work really well. Their standard size is 9’ x 10’ which would be perfect but they’re also $100 for each one. I’ve been going through a lot of golf simulator forum threads and several people have used cheaper curtains that have worked fine. So I’m still looking. Been working on getting the screen up first and haven’t put too much thought into anything past that yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any news on Tiger’s recovery?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Can somebody please explain to me how professional golf works? I would like to try watching the US Open, but I don't understand this. It doesn't seem like the PGA is like a "league" in the same way that the NFL, MLB, or NHL are. Instead it's more a series of independent tournaments? Is there like an overall championship? If there is no league, then what's to stop Dirty Mike and his bros from just showing up and registering for the US Open the day of? How does this work with European events? Is this a world wide thing like F1?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The US Open is an open tournament which means anyone* can show up on Thursday with no more than 14 clubs and just get at it

*participant must be human, see the USGA rule III.9 the so-called "Air Bud" clause

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Plank Walker posted:

The US Open is an open tournament which means anyone* can show up on Thursday with no more than 14 clubs and just get at it

*participant must be human, see the USGA rule III.9 the so-called "Air Bud" clause

So why don't normal people just rock up on the Thursday to take their chance at winning some kind of prize?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

MustardFacial posted:

So why don't normal people just rock up on the Thursday to take their chance at winning some kind of prize?

The OP is joking (theres also no Air Bud clause lol)

The US Open is open in that, beyond the Pros which are already eligible, anyone can qualify through a series of events up to the main tournament - no one can just walk up.

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/local.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Open_(golf)#Qualification

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

no one can just walk up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh god was this the guy who showed up to Masters practice thinking it meant he could actually practice

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

shyduck posted:

Oh god was this the guy who showed up to Masters practice thinking it meant he could actually practice

It is, and I want to say he's done that more than once.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I fuckin love that dude so much

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

MustardFacial posted:

Can somebody please explain to me how professional golf works? I would like to try watching the US Open, but I don't understand this. It doesn't seem like the PGA is like a "league" in the same way that the NFL, MLB, or NHL are. Instead it's more a series of independent tournaments? Is there like an overall championship? If there is no league, then what's to stop Dirty Mike and his bros from just showing up and registering for the US Open the day of? How does this work with European events? Is this a world wide thing like F1?

I feel bad because no one has answered your question before.

Basically:
The PGA Tour is the highest level tour in the world, with the European Tour being a close second. Players can earn their "PGA Tour Card" in a number of ways (playing well enough in the lower level tour, going through Qualifying School, get special invites into tournaments and earning enough money by placing well) and the Tour itself is a yearlong tour across the country hosted at a different venue each week.

In that year, there are 4 Major tournaments hosted by their respective organizations and which don't technically fall under the PGA Tour's jurisdiction: The Masters, The PGA Championship, The US Open (this week), and The British Open Hosted By Her Majesty Queen Liz.
The 4 Majors have different ways of qualifying for them but they basically boil down to:
1. Being ranked high enough in the world rankings
2. In the case of the PGA Championship, being a PGA Professional (the guys that work at your local courses) and playing through a series of tournaments to qualify
3. In the case of the US and British Opens, being a pro/amateur and playing through a series of qualifying tournaments (this is why you see several high-profile players like Rickie Fowler playing in the qualifying tournaments, because they weren't ranked high enough in the world ranking to get an automatic spot).
4. Being a past winner of one of the Majors (If you've won The Masters, you can play there every year for the rest of your life)

The European Tour is similar to the PGA Tour however the expectation is that if you are really good and semi-dominating the European Tour, you will just go play on the PGA Tour instead.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also there is a sort of championship/playoff. It's the FedEx Cup

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Driving down to San Diego in hopes I get paired up with Phil on Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Good book to read about life on the tour: Making the Cut: Life Inside the PGA Tour System

We take for granted how hard it is to stay in the top 125 to stay on the PGA tour because we watch the same aliens play amazing golf week in and week out. Then we see guys like Fowler to have a downturn and have to try to qualify for the US Open. No one thinks a guy like Fowler who is on tv every day for most people in his adverts that he’s struggling to keep his tour card right now.