Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That last screenshot reminds me of an UT99 level :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Most of the maps look like Halo 1 or Half Life level graphics to me, which is impressive

But that one first map in the tweet looks like loving Doom 2016. In the Quake 1 engine. Goddamn.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How in the gently caress

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Loaded it up in quakespasm, pretty drat cool mod so far.

That really impressive level is the hub world that lets you select which level to play, so its very small, which explains part of why it looks so insanely insanely good.

As a result its unfortunately very small and simple.

The actual gameplay levels don't look quite as insanely good in the lighting department, but still very impressively cool

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turok 1 and 2 are on sale on Switch (had them on pc already) if you were waiting for a sale like I was.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DOSBox!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah so Holden and the texture artist are basically why I bought Graven. Peak performance.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Played through these two last night. The first one had some nice verticality, and combined with the respawning items there was a deathmatch arena feel to it. Second one was really cool, with a twist you might want to discover yourself: when you leave an airlock to go outside, the gravity reduces a lot. Eventually this lets you explore the whole of the exterior of the map and find lots of secret areas.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cruelty Squad becomes the first game to move out of Early Access.

https://twitter.com/CSoftproducts/status/1405045742755065856?s=20

quote:

Changes since the last EA build:

New level.
New ending.
New weapon.
New unlockable game mode.
Extended organ markets.
Two new implants.
New dialogue for some targets.
Pain.

Changes during the early access period:

Lots of optimization and bug fixing, compared to the initial release it's possible to run the game on much lower end computers.
Controls are smoother, now possible to go up stairs without getting stuck on everything.
6 new levels. (Technically 5 completely new ones, but one was turned into a fully playable level.)
2 new endings.
8 new weapons.
17 new implants.
Hidden new game+ type of thing.
New enemy types.
Stock market simulation.
Organ harvesting integrated with the stock market.
Fishing integrated with the stock market. (70+ different fish to find!)
And lots of other minor things that I can't remember right now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Guillermus posted:

That last screenshot reminds me of an UT99 level :stare:

it's almost closer to ut2k4, it's crazy detailed

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GManLives did a look at the weird Japanese Arcade version of Half Life 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNA3j7tBsw

I'm not a huge fan of his commentary style but its a good overview of what is a real niche piece of gaming history.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Oh, yeah, I guess. I've tried DOOM in DOSBox but I couldn't actually play it like that. Fortunately Chocolate Crispy DOOM exists.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i believe they still are, there's still that indescribable idtech feel to the games, even the newest ones. i remember the era when you could immediately tell if a game was idtech based or unreal based just on how walking felt.

i think raven still do some amount of work on every cod game so by now they have to be more experienced in idtech 3 than id themselves.

the % of original idtech code has to be pretty low though because i dont know what kind of witchcraft you would have to do to make a battle-royale sized map with that many players on idtech. as far as i'm aware quake engine has never been capable of that size of seamless map (hence all the loading screen in half life). battlefield 1942 was the only large scale fps of that era and it was on a totally custom engine, and the battlefield games have been since.

although i guess fortnite runs on unreal engine and im guessing that must have some % of the original unreal engine code in it.

If you've ever seen photos of their map editor in dev diary type videos, it still has the same basic layout as Q3Radiant, but it's not something that's easily findable without digging through videos. One of the games in the past 5 years had a id Software/id Tech legal notice in the small text, too.

There's probably a good chunk of underlaying systems code, stuff like console text handling, and general program flow, but it is probably not very recognizable if you know Q3 engine anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, random question, figured there's no better place on the internet to ask; what's the difference between a rip and a tear?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a rip is the separation of two pieces of material at the join. a tear is the separation of a single piece of material into sections. in doom terms, you rip muscle off the bone, but tear flesh to get there

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rip

According to the dictionary, a rip is a tear.

Which I guess means one can tear without ripping, but one cannot rip without tearing.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Am I going nuts, or is the Fallen Aces demo supposed to be out today?

Gabe said it would be included in the steam demo fest thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rip

According to the dictionary, a rip is a tear.

Which I guess means one can tear without ripping, but one cannot rip without tearing.

Supposedly there was once a man who knew the answer, he also starred in some movies including one where Tom Green hosed him down with elephant semen

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tragedy strikes
https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1405283532839129089
https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1405293202320498690

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Footage of the incident can be seen at https://twitter.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1405218464881647627?s=20

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gabe owns Dave Oshry yet again.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
when it's done, but with chainsaw bears

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Tried out a game called Dread Templar as part of the Steam Next event. It felt alright. It's got what promises to be a pretty extensive upgrade system on top of a pretty solid-feeling shooter template.

Another I tried was Severed Steel. It's definitely a bit more interesting. It's a style-shooter that encourages stuff like wallrunning, sliding, and diving, as each of those actions gives you invincibility while you're doing them. One thing that stuck out is how smooth the animations feel. I'm used to many modern games that run well having that "hitching" feel when you unload a full-auto weapon directly in an enemy's face (even when they run particularly well on my 2080ti rig). This game does not stop the smoothness ever and it keeps loving me up because of that. It's feels really, really good to shoot things in this game. It feels like it exists in some weird ground between Titanfall 2, FEAR, and SUPER HOT in terms of style and game feel.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has there been any mention of Kingpin: Reloaded recently?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vakal posted:

Has there been any mention of Kingpin: Reloaded recently?
Probably more info during Realms Deep in... August?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Folks, its time. We need to make F.E.A.R. 4 using the same engine as the first game, and call it retro.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Folks, its time. We need to make F.E.A.R. 4 using the same engine as the first game, and call it retro.

Okay but since FEAR 3 finished the Project Origin timeline then FEAR 4 should actually be a sequel to Perseus Mandate.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

Only if we can call it F.O.U.R.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay but since FEAR 3 finished the Project Origin timeline then FEAR 4 should actually be a sequel to Perseus Mandate.

Only the expansions are cannon, even when they conflict

Crowetron posted:

Only if we can call it F.O.U.R.

First Encounter Assault and Recon For Overpowering Unnatural Resistance

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Pretty sure making someone work with old versions of Lithtech in the 2020s is considered cruel and unusual punishment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure making someone work with old versions of Lithtech in the 2020s is considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Every Logitech USB device made in the last 15 years just let out a collective gasp

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Every Logitech USB device made in the last 15 years just let out a collective gasp

At least there's the logitech fix but holy poo poo. I had a logitech mouse and keyboard when FEAR came out and had to use something else just with that game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Guillermus posted:

At least there's the logitech fix but holy poo poo. I had a logitech mouse and keyboard when FEAR came out and had to use something else just with that game.

Wait what, how on Earth does a particular brand of KB+mouse have issues in-application?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Serephina posted:

Wait what, how on Earth does a particular brand of KB+mouse have issues in-application?

IIRC of the era Lithtech polls USB HIDs in a very stupid way and MOST stuff doesn't care but Logitech devices hella loving did and it made the engine drop frames like you were trying to run Crysis on an Celeron.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Did anyone say Fourth Encounter Assault Recon

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

https://youtu.be/IP2BQLOWi4M?t=214

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That was such a bullshit scene.

Sucks the demo wasn't ready Fallen Aces and Gloomwood are the only games I'm jonesing for besides Elden Ring.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

That was such a bullshit scene.

Sucks the demo wasn't ready Fallen Aces and Gloomwood are the only games I'm jonesing for besides Elden Ring.

Pretty much the same. Fallen Aces, Gloomwood, Elden Ring and hopefully getting a PS5 by the end of the year to play (again) Demon's Souls is what I really want now. Oh, and Selaco and Valheim (early access).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
F.E.4.R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guillermus posted:

Pretty much the same. Fallen Aces, Gloomwood, Elden Ring and hopefully getting a PS5 by the end of the year to play (again) Demon's Souls is what I really want now. Oh, and Selaco and Valheim (early access).

Oh good call on Selaco that does look pretty sick.