Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope Nintendo is gaslighting us and only the prolog is Hyrule. Pull a MGS2 and the rest of the game is in Termina/Labrynna/Holodrum. I do not wanna run around Hyrule again after Botw

Also a secret second major protagonist with long blond hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/m1a1p1l1e/status/1404848198212935683?s=21

edit: That's the Sheika symbol without the teardrop that was added when the Hyrule royals betrayed them. This game travels to the ancient past.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 15, 2021

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

no way!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Or there's a really old shield in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're sending putting link in the past? Like some sort of oracle of ages?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wasn't expecting playable zelda since even from the first teaser it was clear that link was getting a gameplay thing stuck in his arm but I was hoping they wouldn't immediately bump her again Phantom Hourglass style.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Motto posted:

I wasn't expecting playable zelda since even from the first teaser it was clear that link was getting a gameplay thing stuck in his arm but I was hoping they wouldn't immediately bump her again Phantom Hourglass style.

Yeah I was hoping for at least Spirit Tracks style 'she's your companion and gets special minigames'

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Twitter is already trying to convince themselves that the version of Link in the sky is actually Zelda. Reminds me of the first Breath of the Wild trailer when they convinced themselves it was female Link and was pissed at Nintendo for "lying" to them.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

zelda falling in the hole is a deliberate fake-out and the game is going to be split between playing as link in the overworld and zelda in the underworld

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Wait...Aonuma said they had "no other Switch games planned".

Please don't tell me that means WW/TP was a pipe dream :(

Seriously, that was the biggest let-down for me, just straight up stating that "we ain't got poo poo for the anniversary." Mario got 4 ports of some of his best games, Mario 35, merch, IRL Mario Kart AR game and a whole god drat theme park... Zelda got a trailer, port of one of the weakest titles, special Joycons and a Game and Watch. I know Zelda isn't as big as Mario, but I thought they'd be doing a lot more for it than what they are.

stev posted:

Or there's a really old shield in the game.

Yeah, all of this time travel speculation sounds like complete horseshit but I want it to be true because that would be dope as hell.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You play as ganondorf

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope Nintendo is gaslighting us and only the prolog is Hyrule. Pull a MGS2 and the rest of the game is in Termina/Labrynna/Holodrum. I do not wanna run around Hyrule again after Botw

The only shots I can see of the ground from the sky islands show Hyrule. Look at this image from Gatos' post:

If I'm reading it correctly this group of islands are over the breach of Demise, maybe a bit to east. The shot shows the Western Gerudo Highlands in the distance and Tanagar Canyon just south of the Tabantha Great Bridge with the Seres Scablands visible at the bottom of the frame, right by Link.

That's the only shot in the sky I could see the ground clearly enough to make anything out, they're REALLY using those clouds for concealment.

That said I don't see any evidence of surface travel once you're in the sky so you might yet get close to your wish.

Akett fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 15, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Follow the money

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I remember people getting mad about Age of Calamity involving time travel as a plot point when like... most of the mainline zelda games involve time travel to some degree?

lol

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I keep going back-and-forth on the Skyward Sword remake. This is basically the situation as I have a Wii copy: If I don't buy the remake, I can guarantee that I will never play SS because I really don't like motion controls. If I do buy the remake, I will very possibly never play that simply because of my huge RPG backlog. It's a quandary.

==================================================

As for BotW2, it looks about what I expected. I adored the first one and I knew that the sequel will be more of the same. I am noticing a pattern with a lot of AAA franchises where a revolutionary title is followed by a (relatively) low-effort 'same poo poo, new hat' sequel to squeeze out more money. Granted, it's very hard to reinvent the wheel with every new title, but I think that it's deliberate and part of the strategy of 'How long can we milk this to make maximum profit before we have to be clever again?' Resident Evil has been like this for years: RE4 comes out, changes the formula, everyone loves it, and it's ported to every imaginable platform. 5 comes out and is basically the same but not as good. 6 was utter rubbish. 7 comes out and revitalises the series, then 8/Village is the same thing in the same engine but not as good. Similarly, the RE2 remake was excellent with lots of content, then the RE3 remake was more of the same with no innovation and much less content yet somehow the same price.

This stuff is done to maximize profit, not user enjoyment. :capitalism:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

As for BotW2, it looks about what I expected. I adored the first one and I knew that the sequel will be more of the same. I am noticing a pattern with a lot of AAA franchises where a revolutionary title is followed by a (relatively) low-effort 'same poo poo, new hat' sequel to squeeze out more money. Granted, it's very hard to reinvent the wheel with every new title, but I think that it's deliberate and part of the strategy of 'How long can we milk this to make maximum profit before we have to be clever again?' Resident Evil has been like this for years: RE4 comes out, changes the formula, everyone loves it, and it's ported to every imaginable platform. 5 comes out and is basically the same but not as good. 6 was utter rubbish. 7 comes out and revitalises the series, then 8/Village is the same thing in the same engine but not as good. Similarly, the RE2 remake was excellent with lots of content, then the RE3 remake was more of the same with no innovation and much less content yet somehow the same price.

This stuff is done to maximize profit, not user enjoyment. :capitalism:

we have seen 30 seconds of gameplay

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I remember people getting mad about Age of Calamity involving time travel as a plot point when like... most of the mainline zelda games involve time travel to some degree?

lol

I thought people were upset with how it was advertised as a prequel when it isn't.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

sigher posted:

I thought people were upset with how it was advertised as a prequel when it isn't.

I mean that too, it technically is a prequel anyways, just in a new timeline.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

C-SPAN Caller posted:

lol

I don't think its most tbf. You have OoT, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, and Skyward Sword that have it as a main plot point. Then BotW and Zelda II that have long term stasis throwing someone from the past into the present.

I guess Oracle of Seasons might count but you're mostly just changing the weather rather than any actual time shenanigans.

Then of course both Hyrule Warriors are built around it in different ways.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Good or bad, revolutionary or Same Old poo poo, I’m gonna hoot ‘n holler while pouring far too much of my finite lifespan into the new elf game.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

people didn't like the time travel stuff because it was used as a cop out to avoid having the protagonists all die at the end, which was part of the appeal of a prequel for a lot of people

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to say that being able to play as a Guardian in the new DLC for Age of Calamity is a goddamned hoot.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

I don't think its most tbf. You have OoT, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, and Skyward Sword that have it as a main plot point. Then BotW and Zelda II that have long term stasis throwing someone from the past into the present.

I guess Oracle of Seasons might count but you're mostly just changing the weather rather than any actual time shenanigans.

Then of course both Hyrule Warriors are built around it in different ways.

How did you forget Link to the Past

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

How did you forget Link to the Past

There's no time travel in LttP

There IS time travel in Twilight Princess though

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Ok sure it's an alternate dimension, but that poo poo may as well be time travel anyways

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Wait, what TP time travel am I forgetting

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only game without any time travel is the section in Hyrule Castle in WW. Forward movement is still travel through time

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't remember any time travel in TP.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Talking to dead link I guess?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*rubs dust off obscured character to reveal "time; travel"*

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zelda dies and Link goes back in time to save her or something I dunno

Edit: I'm basing this off of the clip of Zelda falling, and the dirge-like bit of Zelda's Lullaby at the end of the trailer

Frankston fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 15, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

You go back in time for the Temple of Time dungeon. It's not much but it's there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I mean that too, it technically is a prequel anyways, just in a new timeline.

It's a prequel to nothing then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Power-Glove is so cool I can’t wait!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They're spending a lot of time on IGN focusing on the different looking hair styles in various images. It definitely looks like there's 2 specific character hairstyles going on, so either Zelda is adding Witcher 3 barber features or there's some character swapping.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Link had different hair styles based on his hat in BotW, that’s something the game already does.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The bokoblins on the rock firing arrows at you while the rock's weak point is obscured by boards is a pretty cool idea. The generic hordes in BOTW become kinda stale and braindead after a while.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean it makes sense if basically Link takes over the story of the Ancient Hero from 10000 years ago that was seen in the tapestry- He's originally redheaded but maybe now Link takes over and is blonde- kind of Quantum Leap style.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil VIIIage is way better than 7 on the grounds there is no unskippable cutscenes, a greater degree of exploration, an expansive challenge and replay system, less teeth grinding-bosses, and a more consistent quality of levels throughout instead of dropping off a cliff at the two-thirds mark.

Though 7 does have the uncle who punches zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I can't believe they're going to have an overworld, an underworld, AND time travel, AND a dark mirror world (just now decided that the game will have one based on absolutely nothing whatsoever)