Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Got the rejection email. HR said it was a tough call (and it took them a few weeks to make it) and that everyone I interviewed with still really liked me. They mentioned to keep them in mind still and to contact a specific HR person if i see another opening I like.

Are they blowing smoke or is that an invitation I can take them up on? I’ve been trying to work there for 8 months now and I haven’t been told to piss off yet.

Still pretty let down. Incredibly hard not to take the rejection personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

buglord posted:

Got the rejection email. HR said it was a tough call (and it took them a few weeks to make it) and that everyone I interviewed with still really liked me. They mentioned to keep them in mind still and to contact a specific HR person if i see another opening I like.

Are they blowing smoke or is that an invitation I can take them up on? I’ve been trying to work there for 8 months now and I haven’t been told to piss off yet.

Still pretty let down. Incredibly hard not to take the rejection personally.

If they gave you a specific name to reach out to then they actually meant it and it might be something (but don't hold your breath). If they just said it without any sort of avenue then they don't not mean it, but they don't care. When I want someone to gently caress off I don't tell them to keep us in mind.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
So I am hitting the ground pretty hard, and doing a lot of applying. I have had a few interviews go some distance, but nothing has come of it so far, including getting completely ghosted after having what I thought was a great conversation with the CEO.

When it comes to applying to multiple jobs at the same company, is there a whole lot that needs to be changed resume/cover letter wise? They are all sales jobs, but different products/target markets. Also, when it comes to third party recruiters who have the same thing going on (multiple sales jobs with different targets/possibly different companies) do I need to do much changing?

Thanks

Edit: Not trying to spam the thread, just been out of practice and trying to get it right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

buglord posted:

Lockback is right. It might just be a boilerplate rejection but it's also possible you were a slot or two down on their "if we can't reach an agreement with #1 Choice then offer to #2 Choice..." shortlist.

Hell, these days it's getting rarer to receive any rejection notice at all, a lot of companies are moving to just straight up ghosting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lockback is right. It might just be a boilerplate rejection but it's also possible you were a slot or two down on their "if we can't reach an agreement with #1 Choice then offer to #2 Choice..." shortlist.

Hell, these days it's getting rarer to receive any rejection notice at all, a lot of companies are moving to just straight up ghosting.
I mean I went through 3 rounds of interviews totaling about 5 hours so I feel like I was on the shortlist (2 slots open, 3 applicants left).

I’m glad I wasn’t ghosted at least.

e: actually I started looking for jobs again and almost broke down. This feels way too much for me and I can’t take the emotional toll of sifting through jobs, seeing sky high requirements for little pay, spending time on cover letters and personalized resumes, not hearing back or going through multiple rounds to end up where I’m at like today.

Are there any resources for overcoming job hunting malaise? I really can’t bring myself to keep on rolling with this.

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 9, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

buglord posted:

I mean I went through 3 rounds of interviews totaling about 5 hours so I feel like I was on the shortlist (2 slots open, 3 applicants left).

I’m glad I wasn’t ghosted at least.

e: actually I started looking for jobs again and almost broke down. This feels way too much for me and I can’t take the emotional toll of sifting through jobs, seeing sky high requirements for little pay, spending time on cover letters and personalized resumes, not hearing back or going through multiple rounds to end up where I’m at like today.

Are there any resources for overcoming job hunting malaise? I really can’t bring myself to keep on rolling with this.

I went through less than you have, but I was definitely starting to feel some drag to continue. I started taking mini-breaks of a few days to a week where I just sort of ignored all of the interviewing/job hunting. Then something at work would remind me that I didn't really want to work there anymore, which motivated me to take a look at all the new jobs that had been posted over the last ~week. I also started being more selective about what I was applying to, based on the thinking that if I were going to expend this much energy then I'm going for a position that's a home run for me. That reduced the number of pointless interviews (although the practice was good to start).

This might not work for you, but I'd definitely recommend taking breaks from the job hunting. For me it felt like a useful time to rebuild my energy, take some time for some introspection on how I was going about the job hunt, and think about how I could improve my interviewing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

downout posted:

I went through less than you have, but I was definitely starting to feel some drag to continue. I started taking mini-breaks of a few days to a week where I just sort of ignored all of the interviewing/job hunting. Then something at work would remind me that I didn't really want to work there anymore, which motivated me to take a look at all the new jobs that had been posted over the last ~week. I also started being more selective about what I was applying to, based on the thinking that if I were going to expend this much energy then I'm going for a position that's a home run for me. That reduced the number of pointless interviews (although the practice was good to start).

This might not work for you, but I'd definitely recommend taking breaks from the job hunting. For me it felt like a useful time to rebuild my energy, take some time for some introspection on how I was going about the job hunt, and think about how I could improve my interviewing.

Good point. Yeah I think im going to focus on jobs that I actually want at this point. I've put way too much time into jobs I was lukewarm on. HR (from the job that rejected me) sent me the postmortem and she said while my technical skills were good, my knowledge of the automotive industry and cars was kind of lacking. They had mentioned that deficiency at the end of round 2, so before round 3 I self taught myself a lot of things and wowed a lot of people by #3.

I wonder if I should continue to self educate on both of those subjects in case that department opens a position again. Self educating wasn't a whole lot of effort to begin with, I accomplished the majority of it by YouTube while at work or playing videogames at home.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Job search is a grind that requires an incredible amount of will, toughness and thought. Breaking down a little is normal.

It's comical how hard getting the job is v actually doing it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xguard86 posted:

Job search is a grind that requires an incredible amount of will, toughness and thought. Breaking down a little is normal.

It's comical how hard getting the job is v actually doing it.

It's dating vs serious relationship. Gotta put yourself out there though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m still at the beginning of my job search and have noted the requirements being sky high for any job, but the ones that take the cake are the “entry-level” positions that pay like $40k yet have insane requirements and qualifications.

“Entry-level aircraft mechanic, responsibilities include overhauling major aircraft systems, inspecting parts for wear and tolerance, replacing major components, maintenance operational checks among other duties. Candidate must have own tools and toolbox and other equipment required. Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering preferred. A&P required. At least four years experience in aircraft maintenance on specific airframe you would not yet have had an occasion to even lay eyes on; experience must be within last six years. Must be able to read and interpret blueprints and sketches.”

If I was an aerospace engineer I wouldn’t be looking for a job as a mechanic because there are far more engineering jobs available in aerospace/aviation than mechanic jobs. It’s doubtful an aerospace engineer would bother to get an airframe and power plant certificate. Some requirements are impossible to meet, others are reasonable but I’ll be hosed if I can find a job that doesn’t require an A&P or at least prefer one, even for military aircraft one may have worked on while in service.

So now I’m fast-tracking my A&P license, taking first written exam Monday and cramming for the oral and practical exams. The job pool sucks without an A&P

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just apply if you're at all close. It's a wish list + wide net thing most of the time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

life is killing me posted:

“Entry-level aircraft mechanic, responsibilities include overhauling major aircraft systems, inspecting parts for wear and tolerance, replacing major components, maintenance operational checks among other duties. Candidate must have own tools and toolbox and other equipment required. Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering preferred. A&P required. At least four years experience in aircraft maintenance on specific airframe you would not yet have had an occasion to even lay eyes on; experience must be within last six years. Must be able to read and interpret blueprints and sketches.”

EDIT: You actually got me on that one, I read half of it and thought you were serious

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

EDIT: You actually got me on that one, I read half of it and thought you were serious

Yeah the first half is actually pretty close to most job descriptions for aircraft mechanics.

The only thing I left out was an offered salary. Let’s say: $35k a year for either two years of school plus some challenging exams. Some job searches are coming up with that, and they prefer an A&P. Which they kind of have to, but still…$36k is a low figure depending on the airframe when one could go do military aircraft or commercial airliners for a lot more and do a lot less.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 11, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So, just out of curiosity, if I feel like a role was very much dishonestly represented when I took it, is that something I basically just have to suck up and not mention if asked about why I'd be leaving in a future interview elsewhere? I'll just have to use one of the usual "lack of opportunities for growth" or something similar? There's a fair chance my company could also get into actual existential crises as well judging by the past, also not revealed and impossible to discern before I started. I assume both of those things would be seen as talking down my current employer.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

thebardyspoon posted:

So, just out of curiosity, if I feel like a role was very much dishonestly represented when I took it, is that something I basically just have to suck up and not mention if asked about why I'd be leaving in a future interview elsewhere? I'll just have to use one of the usual "lack of opportunities for growth" or something similar? There's a fair chance my company could also get into actual existential crises as well judging by the past, also not revealed and impossible to discern before I started. I assume both of those things would be seen as talking down my current employer.

Don’t bitch about your ex on a first date, even if they ask. Bitch to your friends. Not your date.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah figured, feel like I might have hosed myself a bit with this one. Probation period recently ended and things have spiraled rapidly since. Ah well, cheers for confirming what I was assuming. Will just have to get my ducks in a row, keep saving and try my best in the meantime.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That aircraft mechanic job actually sounds like they want a warrant officer or something coming out of the army/airforce. Sometimes postings like that are just formalities to cover equal opportunity or other federal requirements. They already have their candidate, they don't particularly want anyone else to apply.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

That aircraft mechanic job actually sounds like they want a warrant officer or something coming out of the army/airforce. Sometimes postings like that are just formalities to cover equal opportunity or other federal requirements. They already have their candidate, they don't particularly want anyone else to apply.

Maybe. But if they are really looking for a WO, they are actually looking for a maintenance test pilot. Most military pilots in the army, even warrants, know enough to go through the preflight checklist and they can tell when something is obviously wrong (grease leaking from the tail rotor gearbox plug or whatever), but the MTPs, depending how long they’ve been an MTP, are basically mechanics who fly and a lot of the time will know more about maintaining the aircraft they fly than most anyone who is below an E4 pay grade. In my military career they were the only pilots or officers who could sign off on work done in the logbook. That was a deal normally in the realm of NCOs who were TI’s in QA/QC.

But I still question it. The two jobs I applied for at Lockheed Martin didn’t seem like the type of jobs where they are looking for a pilot—one of them maybe, like the inspection one which was mostly QA/QC stuff, but even that sounded like more of a technical inspector deal. But the airframe assembler? I don’t see a former military pilot going that route unless they didn’t like flying. Overall I’m thinking that most of them are not going to get their A&P, or sign up for airframe work.

Mostly my example was just illustrating some of the job postings I saw which wanted tons of qualifications for very little pay comparatively, like the kind of qualifications only someone in the field for around a decade would have, and if that was the case they wouldn’t take $36k to start out; not to mention they are saying this is entry-level stuff (and it mostly is) while they offer a low salary and want this level of experience.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockheed Martin […]. But the airframe assembler? I don’t see a former military pilot going that route unless they didn’t like flying.

I like the idea of some former pilot sweating his rear end off in Dallas riveting some bullshit on an f35 airframe questioning his decisions

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What's an appropriate resume strategy for multiple job titles during a single employment period? Right now I have something like this:

code:
Cattle Rancher (Moe's Beef Emporium)			2020-present
Farmhand (Moe's Beef Emporium)				2018-2020

* Ranched cattle with quantitative details and active verbs
* Handed farms with quantitative details and active verbs
* etc
My thought is that it shows that I'm sticking around long enough and competent enough to handle multiple roles and in fact be promoted through them. It also seems a bit clunky.

I'm using a single version of my resume and shotgunning it at various tech companies. It's worked well enough in the past that I haven't had to tweak it for different jobs. It helps that I'm basically only applying to a single type of job (devops computer toucher), so the different roles that I've had just show my extra skills that they are getting for free rather than talking up different core competencies

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 14, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Happiness Commando posted:

What's an appropriate resume strategy for multiple job titles during a single employment period? Right now I have something like this:

code:
Cattle Rancher (Moe's Beef Emporium)			2020-present
Farmhand (Moe's Beef Emporium)				2018-2020

* etc
My thought is that it shows that I'm sticking around long enough and competent enough to handle multiple roles and in fact be promoted through them. It also seems a bit clunky.

Ive always been partial to:
code:
*Moe's Beef Emporium*			2018-present
Cattle Rancher				2020-present
Farmhand				2018-2020

* etc
Also, include months so people can ask about gaps in employment. I see someone with 4 jobs in 4 years but no gaps, might be NBD. 4 jobs in 4 years with 3 months between them each time is a massive red flag. They'll need very relevant other stuff to go to a phone interview.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Also, I noticed there are no months. Is this just in the redacted beef example, or does your actual resume also not have months?

I have some not-great periods with a month or so gap, so I'm thinking of putting years only. I feel like that only invites additional scrutiny, though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inner Light posted:

Also, I noticed there are no months. Is this just in the redacted beef example, or does your actual resume also not have months?

I have some not-great periods with a month or so gap, so I'm thinking of putting years only. I feel like that only invites additional scrutiny, though.

Put months. If you want to say what the story is for the gap months, include it in a one sentence summary. Don't lie. See above for more advice,

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CarForumPoster posted:

Put months. If you want to say what the story is for the gap months, include it in a one sentence summary. Don't lie. See above for more advice,

Hurf durf, I misread the 2nd part and see now that your advice was specifically geared to the months aspect. Thanks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Ive always been partial to:
code:
*Moe's Beef Emporium*			2018-present
Cattle Rancher				2020-present
Farmhand				2018-2020

* etc

Yeah this is clear. If you switch jobs completely like go into management or something you might need to break up sections, but for similar jobs do this

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I have never been one to include a "summary" or "objective" portion on a resume, but I have recently been trying to go for software jobs which are well outside of my current field. Would it be wise to include a "hey, I'm not a software engineer, but here is my current software experience and why I am trying to be a software engineer" kind of blurb? I was thinking something along these lines:

quote:

OBJECTIVE
[Non-software engineer] engineer with eight years of experience working within cross-functional teams under fast paced deadlines is seeking a transition into a programming oriented role. With consistent utilization of Lean/Six Sigma methodology, a proven track record of bringing in projects under budget, and the personal skills to deal with both internal and external customers, my expertise can be easily leveraged to suit nearly any role. Current applied programming experience includes C, C#, and Python programs that collect and sort web data (utilizing JSON and various APIs), a GUI-driven wave form generator and signal processor, and the beginnings of a real-time strategy video game within the Unity game engine.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

OBJECTIVE
[Non-software engineer] engineer with eight years of experience working within cross-functional teams under fast paced deadlines is seeking a transition into a programming oriented role. With consistent utilization of Lean/Six Sigma methodology, a proven track record of bringing in projects under budget, and the personal skills to deal with both internal and external customers, my expertise can be easily leveraged to suit nearly any role. Current applied programming experience includes C, C#, and Python programs that collect and sort web data (utilizing JSON and various APIs), a GUI-driven wave form generator and signal processor, and the beginnings of a real-time strategy video game within the Unity game engine.

Summaries are fine and in this use case make sense. IMO this one is too long and too detailed. I kinda suggest avoid using the word transitioning since you're already fairly along in your engineering career. Maybe like:

OBJECTIVE
Senior mechanical engineer with 8 years of experience seeking programming focused role. Strong track-record of delivering under budget with strict deadlines as part of a cross-functional team. Applied programming experience in C, C#, and Python programs in the domains of signal processing, web scraping and Unity-based game development.

Then, use the rest of your resume to tell the story. 2 pages is fine, but be succinct there too.

EDIT1: Something to think about by the way is defense industry roles for "guidance nav & control" or certain "systems engineering" jobs that are really control systems focused. I'm not sure how mathy you are but "GNC" engineers work on some of the dopest poo poo and require you to both write code that performs well AND understand control systems concepts primarily taught to MechEs and EEs. That said, there are also systems engineering jobs that are really requirements jockeying. So be clear on what it is.

EDIT2: By the way that dope poo poo is almost always for the purpose of killing people more accurately, so ya know, think on that as a career choice. Do you want to work on more accurate drones/bomb drops/door knocking strike packages?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 15, 2021

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Summaries are fine and in this use case make sense. IMO this one is too long and too detailed. I kinda suggest avoid using the word transitioning since you're already fairly along in your engineering career. Maybe like:

OBJECTIVE
Senior mechanical engineer with 8 years of experience seeking programming focused role. Strong track-record of delivering under budget with strict deadlines as part of a cross-functional team. Applied programming experience in C, C#, and Python programs in the domains of signal processing, web scraping and Unity-based game development.

Then, use the rest of your resume to tell the story. 2 pages is fine, but be succinct there too. Something to think about by the way is defense industry roles for "guidance nav & control" or certain "systems engineering" jobs that are really control systems focused. I'm not sure how mathy you are but "GNC" engineers work on some of the dopest poo poo and require you to both write code that performs well AND understand control systems concepts primarily taught to MechEs and EEs. That said, there are also systems engineering jobs that are really requirements jockeying. So be clear on what it is.

Thanks for the advice! That summary is super succinct and way better than what I had, so I shall shamelessly crib from it.

I also appreciate the mention of GNC and systems stuff... I had found a few GNC things in my area that I applied for, but I think for the most part I am fairly over working in defense and would much rather just move on to something different.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Also some of those phrases are in need of hyphens: “fast-paced”; “programming-oriented”. Sorry to nitpick, but apparently it’s really important for resumes to have correct grammar and punctuation, though I perhaps misinterpreted its importance a tad. I’m not saying the summary is garbage because I wouldn’t know anyway, I’m sure you have had plenty more experience in writing resumes than I have. I’m just saying, listen, I’m being a pedant. That’s basically what I’m saying.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

I am fairly over working in defense and would much rather just move on to something different.

:same:

phrases in need of hyphens: “fast-paced”; “programming-oriented” [...] it’s really important for resumes to have correct grammar and punctuation

Agree 100%.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 15, 2021

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Soliciting resume feedback: http://i.imgur.com/RYXZOiC.jpg

CarForumPoster is a real one and helped me do one overhaul so far.

Goal is to gtfo of the political/advocacy/nonprofit work I've been doing and start earning a decent living. My applications have felt a little unfocused but predominately rev & biz ops, with a bit of account executive & people ops thrown in. I'm willing to play the startup lottery.

Should I go for a PMP cert? I meet the requirements and it could fill in some of the weaknesses on my resume such as the lack of formal education.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CarForumPoster posted:

OBJECTIVE

Then, use the rest of your resume to tell the story. 2 pages is fine, but be succinct there too.

This is good advice.

I think the OP could get into a bit more detail in a cover letter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I think the OP could get into a bit more detail in a cover letter.

Yeah, I was going to say they need to focus hard on a real good cover letter and customize it for good jobs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

sillyloquy posted:

Goal is to gtfo of the political/advocacy/nonprofit work I've been doing and start earning a decent living. My applications have felt a little unfocused but predominately rev & biz ops, with a bit of account executive & people ops thrown in. I'm willing to play the startup lottery.

Should I go for a PMP cert? I meet the requirements and it could fill in some of the weaknesses on my resume such as the lack of formal education.

This is good. It feels wordy and I might try a two pager to see how that reads, but right now it's dense because you have good stuff.

Do you have some jobs in mind your thinking of targeting?

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

sillyloquy posted:

imo you are giving too much weight (and space) to experiences which are not particularly relevant to the positions you're applying for - I would trim down the older positions (EMS)/condense a number of political campaigns into one line. I'd also cut your skills/qualifications boxes and summarize them into a list at the top in a distinct box, because that's what someone reading your resume is going to see first. then make a few versions of your resume where you shuffle that list for the area you're applying - for account exec stuff, emphasize your history closing and overseeing accts and maintaining relationship, etc. the "challenge" you're facing is that because you aren't applying for a role you already have had, you need to show you have the skills necessary, and you need to lead with that as clearly as possible.

you seem to have a bunch of relevant skills but trying to have a one size fits all resume is probably a mistake

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Owlspiracy posted:

imo you are giving too much weight (and space) to experiences which are not particularly relevant to the positions you're applying for - I would trim down the older positions (EMS)/condense a number of political campaigns into one line. I'd also cut your skills/qualifications boxes and summarize them into a list at the top in a distinct box, because that's what someone reading your resume is going to see first. then make a few versions of your resume where you shuffle that list for the area you're applying - for account exec stuff, emphasize your history closing and overseeing accts and maintaining relationship, etc. the "challenge" you're facing is that because you aren't applying for a role you already have had, you need to show you have the skills necessary, and you need to lead with that as clearly as possible.

you seem to have a bunch of relevant skills but trying to have a one size fits all resume is probably a mistake

Pretty much what owlspiracy says.

I am kind of like you in that I worked in the political/advocacy space for a long time, but would jump back and forth between sales gigs and political ones. Did a shitload of contract work that lasted 1, 3, 6 months with a couple lasting a year plus, with tons of overlap with multiple campaigns and some sales work. Putting those all into a resume looks loving schizophrenic, so I just put them all under the headline of Self Employed Political Consultant from June 2008 to Dec 2020, didn't break them out and just bulleted broad stroke highlights. Here is one as an example:

quote:

Provided full suite of campaign experience from management, strategic planning, press relations, field organizing, fundraising, and opposition research for national, state and local campaigns.

I had two major sales positions (national account exec and regional account exec with gov and military clients, among others) during that run and they are laid out so it is clear I was doing both. Never has it come up in a negative way, and frankly, the recruiters and hiring managers who have even the most basic understanding of politics and campaigns realize that the heavy lifting, the crush of deadlines, and all the many hats you have to wear to make poo poo run smooth, especially in a local campaign, know that politics is sales. A field op is loving sales.

Not to get completely nitpicky, but the disaster relief thing was one month long? Were you even a real org at that point? I mean, its great you did that, but who gives a poo poo if it didn't spawn something beyond that.

Your current gig, are you done with that? It's been a month. My job history ends at Dec 2020, because I was loving done with politics, and with everything that happened during the year I needed time. I am totally upfront about that in interviews and people seem to get it. Others may disagree with me, but starting your own firm only to abandon it 1 or 2 months in seems flaky. Like if you left it off, and in interviews said: "I found the best part of the consulting firm was making deals and closing contracts. I know I have the skills to succeed in a sales environment because I have been convincing people to vote/sign/donate/volunteer for XX years. I wanted to take the time to really explore this avenue and that's what I am doing now."

Your consulting firm numbers are good, and the fact that you can close contracts is always a plus. And you can lead a team.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Toodles posted:

. Others may disagree with me, but starting your own firm only to abandon it 1 or 2 months in seems flaky.

Strongly disagree, I think it’s much easier to get a job when you currently have one and if that job is working for yourself it won’t be seen as flaky

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Strongly disagree, I think it’s much easier to get a job when you currently have one and if that job is working for yourself it won’t be seen as flaky

Yeah, especially a consulting gig like that. I'd absolutely ask about that as an interviewer and it really helps when getting offers as an employer will know they need to beat your existing rate.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Yeah, especially a consulting gig like that. I'd absolutely ask about that as an interviewer and it really helps when getting offers as an employer will know they need to beat your existing rate.

Fair enough. I thought it would look weird to leave one gig to start another only to leave that for a different career. On the other hand, I get what you are saying about them having to beat OP's rate, as they could just continue doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Recruiter called me at 07:50 this morning regarding a position I first applied to in February. No remote work possible and no direct reports or onsite co-workers doing the same job.

Recruiter was a bit puzzled why I was no longer interested, even though I have just started a new role in management, fully remote and a compensation package starting 25% higher than their absolute max.

"But you'd fit this position perfectly and the hiring manager already expressed interest in your profile."

Should've called me when I first applied over four months ago, and I might've done the bastard commute by now. In stead, I'm in my jammies doing induction training (playing the training videos on my work laptop next to me on mute while I gently caress around online on my personal laptop) and having two hours of video calls in the afternoon.