Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Khanstant posted:

edit: gently caress you windows for doing this poo poo, but also thank you for uninstalling your own lovely update with relative ease.

ngl i breathed a sigh of relief that the fix was simple and worked for you lol, that sounded really stressful w the deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha same when it restarted and worked, now I'll just live in fear of updates unless I find some solution for this probably really niche confluence of problems. Really hard to troubleshoot a problem that's tied to a windows update that isn't universally rolled out at once, tied to a chinese pen tablet with 2018 drivers, on a three monitor system all different sizes, tied specifically to godawfully supported Adobe software I've already had to slap in some legacy pen config file in some folder I forgot at some point. Wound up going for a stress-walk while I texted my boss "uhh hey the thing I do the work with is not doing the work right now even though it's very much time for the work to be done."

Tangent: Does anyone else have a Pen Tablet of some kind + Illustrator, and if so, does your pen work in illustrator at all? Mine has never worked in Illustrator, like, the second pen clicks into illustrator the program just doesn't recognize it at all. One of those things I years ago just accepted and forgot about until recent issues, but I should really expect better of Illustrator. Blender free and handles pen smoothly (and also renders and handles way more vertices than illustrator can, which shits itself with anything remotely complicated)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I've been using Wacom tablets and Cintiqs in Illustrator for two decades on Windows and Macintosh. The Art Pen with rotation is especially useful inn AI, but you have to configure your brushes to use the features.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Is there an (easy) way to find out which application is causing windows to not shutdown/restart?

In the past I used to get to see the icon of the application when it showed the message "this app is preventing shutdown", but now if it happens it shows a generic icon so I have no idea which one is at fault.

thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zadda posted:

Is there an (easy) way to find out which application is causing windows to not shutdown/restart?

In the past I used to get to see the icon of the application when it showed the message "this app is preventing shutdown", but now if it happens it shows a generic icon so I have no idea which one is at fault.

thanks!

Try to shutdown, cancel, then open Event Viewer and look in Windows Logs -> Application. There should be a logged event with "The following application attempted to veto the shutdown:" and hopefully a unique program.

OTOH with the no name / no icon thing, it's equally possible that the program in the event log will be dllhost.exe, svchost.exe, or a similar program. In which case it's not exactly that exe that's responsible, because those are more like loaders. But it narrows it down.

Svchost is for services, so you can start looking at user-installed software that comes with services (ex steam service, google update service, etc) and try disabling them. DLLhost is often used by hardware drivers or hardware-like stuff to load their software, running automatically at startup.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I'll keep an eye on it, thanks!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zadda posted:

thanks!

Run "powercfg /requests" as administrator on the command prompt.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Run "powercfg /requests" as administrator on the command prompt.

Nah that's processes that prevent power saving modes, those don't prevent shutdown.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rejoice, Windows 11 is gonna have centered taskbar buttons and a centered start menu, just like the Windows 10X screenshots. Hopefully the centering is entirely optional.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be The Last Windows, like OS X?

edit: the installer ISO has already leaked into the wild lol

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 15, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TPM is mandatory now apparently

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be The Last Windows, like OS X?

1. Apple made their number bigger, so Microsoft is forced to as well. See also: Firefox versioning pre-Chrome vs. post-Chrome.
2. Microsoft realized it'd be a lot harder to introduce a subscription plan without a new version.
3. They actually significantly broke compatibility

Some combination of those factors probably make up most of the reason.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I'm not seeing a subscription model as that likely? At least not for non-enterprise stuff.

Microsoft's biggest goal seems to be to get everyone to use their products. And I can't think of anything that would push regular consumers away more then a subscription model.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

Hmm, what about upgrading existing installations?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

Maybe it's finally the end for 32-bit?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

wolrah posted:

1. Apple made their number bigger, so Microsoft is forced to as well. See also: Firefox versioning pre-Chrome vs. post-Chrome.
2. Microsoft realized it'd be a lot harder to introduce a subscription plan without a new version.

Some combination of those factors probably make up most of the reason.

They've been spending two generations trying and failing to modernize Windows for the touch/ARM generation, because their efforts were either separate versions stripped of legacy features, or desktop versions with their functionality kneecapped, and both didn't have the app support to succeed. 10X was supposed to bridge that gap, but they clearly couldn't get x86 compatibility working, and once it was reduced to an online streaming service, that was pretty much the death knell for 10X.

What I suspect they decided was to take 10X and shove the native x86 compatibility back in, but start actually incentivising people to ditch the bad practices and legacy fluff that hamstrung 8 and 10's attempts to modernise. How they do that will remain to be seen, but there's talk of a new app store, and I'd bet that the trade-off for massively opening the store up is that any apps, x86 or otherwise, have to follow strict guidelines for how they install and run, similar to UWP apps.

In any case, there has to be more than just a new start menu for them to ditch the 10 branding and versioning, there was no real indication of 11 until 10X died, but making some major changes to how certain things work (including stuff like mandating secure boot, as above) have the potential to break compatibility for a lot of older programs or entire systems, for which another 10 update just wouldn't cut it. I guess we'll find out soon, especially with an ISO out in the wild.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It seems to install fine into my Hyper-V VM, with its wanna-be TPM.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

and I'd bet that the trade-off for massively opening the store up is that any apps, x86 or otherwise, have to follow strict guidelines for how they install and run, similar to UWP apps.
They're working on making WinUI, the most interesting part of all this UWP bullshit, finally usable in any Win32 app no strings attached. They're dragging their balls on it tho, yet sort of alluding that there's plenty of spaghetti to untangle to make it independent of the sandbox. I suppose it'll be done when Windows 11 releases.

--edit:
Their roadmap lists it for a vague "future update". >:|

https://github.com/microsoft/microsoft-ui-xaml/blob/main/docs/roadmap.md#winui-30-feature-roadmap

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Rejoice, Windows 11 is gonna have centered taskbar buttons and a centered start menu, just like the Windows 10X screenshots. Hopefully the centering is entirely optional.

Yeah it looks incredibly stupid on the full-length taskbar to have centered icons. On the OSX dock it at least makes visual sense. But it's always been a visuals > usability trade, because centered icons means the position shifts as new things are opened. Plus you lose the screen corner target for opening the start menu.

(But I fully expect classic left/top alignment to be an option.)

repiv posted:

Possibly only on this pre-release version, remember that this is a leaked non-public build. This has scooped MS's own announcement, there's no way they wanted this getting leaked and requiring more security might have been part of trying to prevent it. I'm sure they're pissed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thank god...

--edit:

They're definitely messing with a lot of Win32 common controls to make apps look more modern.

--edit:

Oh dear god no, there's no small taskbar button setting and the registry setting doesn't do anything.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 15, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh dear god no, there's no small taskbar button setting and the registry setting doesn't do anything.
I don't like this

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

I don't like this

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:monocle:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1404927889196339207?s=19

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Let me just insert my manufacturer's installation disk into C:\ drive...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I don't like this

I'm still made they removed the classic theme and there's no way of briinging it back.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
lol at the idea of a start button that steadily moves left as you open more apps

at least it's optional

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's gonna be the first GPO I configure for the org.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Start on left, apps in middle, clock and poo poo on the right

Final offer

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I love the anticipation of a new Windows release. Will it be a decent, rational improvement over the current version, or will it be another ME, Vista, or 8? What stupid UI choices will be forced on you this time? What incompatibilities and missing drivers will there be? It's always an adventure. :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope they still haven't finished migrating Control Panel.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I hope they still haven't finished migrating Control Panel.

I'm sure they have it's completely inaccessible instead.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I love the anticipation of a new Windows release. Will it be a decent, rational improvement over the current version, or will it be another ME, Vista, or 8? What stupid UI choices will be forced on you this time? What incompatibilities and missing drivers will there be? It's always an adventure. :allears:

The last 20 years on Windows have a pattern of good-bad as consistent as the old "odd numbered star trek". So on that basis it'll be bad.

OTOH I don't know how they'll gently caress it up too badly, since they've taken what was going to be the next major 10 update and turned it into "Windows 11" instead. Maybe they'll start making MS accounts mandatory rather than just spamming people with dark patterns.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

The last 20 years on Windows have a pattern of good-bad as consistent as the old "odd numbered star trek". So on that basis it'll be bad.

Windows 7 was great. 8 was bad. 8.1 was ok. And 10 is bad. So I'm hoping this will actually be good. Though I still think it will be bad. Maybe they've decided to fracture location of various settings even further, and made error messages more vague with more emoticons, or even made the jump to emojis.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lol at the idea of a start button that steadily moves left as you open more apps

at least it's optional

You know, I wouldn't mind a start button that's dead center, and apps open up to the left and right, with the option to inform Windows somehow that if you split-screen something, that X should always be on the left and Y should always be on the right.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm still made they removed the classic theme and there's no way of briinging it back.

How classic are we talking? The one from back in the Win 95 days? b/c I'm mad about that too, I liked being able to customize all them 3D shadows with 3DCC. Now, you can choose whether some of your windows are light or dark, and titlebar color active/inactive. Yay. (Admittedly, very few people ever cared about any of this, so I'm not that upset.)

That 3 line system tray clock is tacky and crowded. Is that already part of W10's design? I have small taskbar so it's just a simple li'l clock.

I don't hate the round corners, but I prefer my screen elements to be sharp enough to cut vegetables.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That stupid news and interests thing is suspiciously absent from those windows 11 screenshots

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

doctorfrog posted:

That 3 line system tray clock is tacky and crowded. Is that already part of W10's design? I have small taskbar so it's just a simple li'l clock.

The systray clock in that screenshot is exactly the same as it is on Win10 with a double-height taskbar.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

~Coxy posted:

The systray clock in that screenshot is exactly the same as it is on Win10 with a double-height taskbar.

I think it might be that way with a single-height bar on certain DPIs also - that's how it is on my Surface Pro at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MonkeyFit posted:

Windows 7 was great. 8 was bad. 8.1 was ok. And 10 is bad. So I'm hoping this will actually be good. Though I still think it will be bad. Maybe they've decided to fracture location of various settings even further, and made error messages more vague with more emoticons, or even made the jump to emojis.

10 is generally fine at this point, unless it gets mad about something, like printing, in which case it is an utter bastard.

Out of three Windows 10 installs I have currently 2 of them are just fine, and 1 is fine except it hates printers, like even the idea of printers is anathema to it. Trying to install a printer only results in false promises and tears. HP? Epson? It doesn't care, it laughs at the very concept of printing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The only way a centred start button works is if it’s always the middle most icon and other things get pinned either side. Otherwise I can tell the first thing most people will do is set it back on the left. I’m glad they’re getting rid of the live tile nonsense from the start menu, I don’t mind the new menu, it looks kinda like some Linux distros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I am glad we are getting further and further away from windows 7 so I can ruthlessly mock the people that lament it's demise even more

We are as far from windows 7 today as we were from windows 98se when 7 came out.

Re: taskbars, as long as display fusion is updated to or natively works with 11 idgaf how badly Microsoft wants to make the start menu button a moving target. Altho it is very confusing to watch them gently caress up their own UI constantly

The real question to me is why one would use a mouse to access that menu to begin with

E: I checked out the new start menu and it looks way closer to how I've been trying to use windows 10s. This is probably good for me since at present you have to go out of your way to get it to resemble something useable it feels like

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 16, 2021