Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Fray posted:

Been waiting on this a long time before doing an LP.

This is now up! Come argue about spaceships! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970652

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
A friend is talking me into getting war in the east 2 so we can pbem.

It's hard to both be online at the same time these days so this is the compromise. Do I go for it or try to sell him hard on war in the pacific which I already own and somewhat understand?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If a friend asked me to drop $80 to play WitE2 with them I totally would do it because none of my friends play PC games anymore and I wish they did.

That said, can I get some recommendations for asynchronous multiplayer games? Preferably nothing super complicated like WitE. My brother and I were playing a lot of Axis & Allies 1942 Online together but fell off after playing too many games, it worked great cause we could take our turns during the day well working from home.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Battlesector demo just dropped on Steam. I know Slitherine have come a long way, but them putting out a pre release demo still boggles the mind somewhat.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Popete posted:

If a friend asked me to drop $80 to play WitE2 with them I totally would do it because none of my friends play PC games anymore and I wish they did.

That said, can I get some recommendations for asynchronous multiplayer games? Preferably nothing super complicated like WitE. My brother and I were playing a lot of Axis & Allies 1942 Online together but fell off after playing too many games, it worked great cause we could take our turns during the day well working from home.

All the decisive campaigns games are great PBEM. Warsaw to Paris is really fun with lots (4+) of people, Case Blue is good but could be overwhelming, Barbarossa is fantastic. Commander the Great War is fun MP and on steam.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Seconding DC:B it was my entry to the grog genre and its a ton of fun to play multiplayer i liked it so much i bought the physical manual

Edit: Does Axis and Allies 42 online still have an active playerbase? That'd be fun to play but I don't have many irl friends into grog games, even a "light" one like A&A

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 16, 2021

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Popete posted:

The Combat Mission games have the option for PBEM multiplayer, if you fancy something on a more tactical scale

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Abongination posted:

A friend is talking me into getting war in the east 2 so we can pbem.

It's hard to both be online at the same time these days so this is the compromise. Do I go for it or try to sell him hard on war in the pacific which I already own and somewhat understand?

SIgn a bargain whereby you agree to buy WitE if he buys WitP. Then refuse to play WitE with him because WitP is obviously the far superior game :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Regiments. The new Microprose Cold War game also has a demo in the Steam Festival for this week.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recs everyone, gonna see if he's interested in any of the games mentioned.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

V for Vegas posted:

Battlesector demo just dropped on Steam. I know Slitherine have come a long way, but them putting out a pre release demo still boggles the mind somewhat.

I desperately want this game to be good

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh poo poo, the Carrier Command 2 demo is live on Steam during this festival too. I love it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mans posted:

Unfortunately nothing too excited in the demo from what I played. Sound design, graphic, fx are all worse than DoW2, over a decade old at this point. The entire jump pack sequence is...dire.

Scenario design in the demo is also boring as gently caress as your space marine outnumbered the goddamn tyranids at all time so you are just brainlessly killing the slowly trickle in Hormagaunts. Then the demo ends. It may be a good game, but the demo doesn't really score it any points.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mans posted:

Personally disappointed that both factions currently in gain bonuses based on how close they are to what they kill. The momentum system provides a quick way to tell players what a faction is all about. So why start with two factions that both want the same thing: hand to hand combat??? Probably the tyranids get lots of ways to gain bonus momentum based on their synapse network later in the campaign. But with just the demo to look at it is a bit disappointing.

Going to be happy when expansion packs introduce races that have different incentives. Mechanicum robots that get penalties as they build toward a second turn, unless a programmer is around to help. Orks that scale momentum based on how much their target is worth, friendly fire included. Guardsmen that are just happy to not get shot, except by commissars. Needless to say it is also a quick way to differentiate between different space marine chapters, without a lot of new models. Ultramarines might benefit from killing while buffed, while Flesh Tearers almost want to be debuffed.

Overall an improvement on Sanctus Reach. Especially nice that you can move units simultaneously, or while a unit fires. The custom campaign settings look nice. Would like assault marines to default to range one sword attacks, but that is really a quibble. Still shocked that GW is letting a comparatively direct competitor to the board game exist. Probably going to cut multiplayer and/or the skirmish campaign.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Deptfordx posted:

Regiments. The new Microprose Cold War game also has a demo in the Steam Festival for this week.

It's cool that there are all these Wargame clones appearing, but it mostly just makes me sad that Eugen didn't carry on with the series themselves. It feels like we're starting from scratch with lower budget remakes.

Squiggle posted:

Oh poo poo, the Carrier Command 2 demo is live on Steam during this festival too. I love it.

yeah this is really cool

a pretty nice nostalgia hit from downloading a 500mb demo with retro music and graphics

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

No demo for Highfleet :( Starting to think that Q2 release date is unlikely.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eugen are still putting out content for Red Dragon!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Does the Regiments demo seem any good? As noted there’s always still Red Dragon, I already gave them money for that

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Does the Regiments demo seem any good? As noted there’s always still Red Dragon, I already gave them money for that

It's not much different from the demo before. It's well executed, but I feel the entire endeavor is a waste without multiplayer. The dev hinted if the project is successful there will be a Regiments 2 relatively quickly with MP support.

Mechanically it's closer to WiC or even Steel Division. It's a more streamlined take on Wargame.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 17, 2021

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah it seems OKish, if a bit abstracted, but I don't quite get why we are supposed to want it. It doesn't seem to do anything new, doesn't look particularly shiny, has no MP, and in general doesn't really seem to have any kind of USP.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Seconding 40K: Battlesector seems pretty promising.

Shinier Sancus Reach, with more interesting plot and missions.

I'm also excited for the possibility of future expansions.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone tried the new digital Valor and Victory? What did you think?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

You know, it's a petty issue, but I hope some day somebody makes a pass over all of the official scenario descriptions and mission briefings in Command.

I really like what they did for the updated Standalone Scenarios, with the cover photos. But some scenarios still have black text from before the dark-mode change with CMO, there's inconsistent fonts and formatting, missing capitalization, and general copy errors scattered throughout. Hell, King of the Border's got a dead image URL in it. Uniformity would really go a long way for the presentation, I think.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 18, 2021

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Squiggle posted:

You know, it's a petty issue, but I hope some day somebody makes a pass over all of the official scenario descriptions and mission briefings in Command.

I really like what they did for the updated Standalone Scenarios, with the cover photos. But some scenarios still have black text from before the dark-mode change with CMO, there's inconsistent fonts and formatting, missing capitalization, and general copy errors scattered throughout. Hell, King of the Border's got a dead image URL in it. Uniformity would really go a long way for the presentation, I think.

Absolutely; I mean, even the new CMO content could also do with an editing/QoL pass. Even Aegean in Flames, one of the CMO-era Live scenarios, has messed-up briefing text with all sorts of random garbage characters scattered throughout.

Phenomenal game, but sometimes it feels like they trust their content creators too much and could really do with more robust scenario/campaign testing that includes editing-level stuff before they release it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yes! Part of why I care at all is that I love Command, and it's nowhere near as grim as some grog games presentation-wise, but the inconsistency still pains me.

Again, it's not a gameplay issue, but I'm running out of wishlist items for CMO.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 18, 2021

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Couldn't have said it any better myself!

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Has anyone played around with the new UI in graviteam tactics yet? I’m trying to get a review by someone that’s not in criyillic

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Has anyone played around with the new UI in graviteam tactics yet? I’m trying to get a review by someone that’s not in criyillic

From what little I poked around, they've moved some of the unit stance controls that used to be part of the left-hand infobox to the center buttons instead, but otherwise it's the same UI - just cleaned up, given some borders, made a little nicer-looking, not such blurry garbage.

It's still got the right-click wheel, but it's nicer looking. Just an improvement, not a radical change.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I played a bit of the Regiments demo. The Task Forces system is interesting—basically, instead of building a deck before the match and going into it with all your units available, you start with some basic core units available and every five minutes or so you get given a choice of new “task forces” to have arrive to the battle. These will be like “mechanized company”, “armored company”, “support company” etc, so you’re building an ad-hoc force to suit the conditions of the battle and fight the enemy’s force. It’s a neat approach to the situation that’s palpably different from Wargame-style deckbuilding.

Unfortunately in terms of actual gameplay the game seems like a step down from Wargame, so I don’t think I’ll bother picking it up when I can reinstall Red Dragon again instead.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone tried the new digital Valor and Victory? What did you think?

I've done a few videos with the demo - they sent me the key for the main game and I've not redemed it.

It's okay, but bland as hell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We haven't heard from this team in a while. Lot of little improvements. I think we're going to get one hell of a machinima toolkit even if the gameplay falls flat. I can se a lot of youtubers re-doing their Midway and Coral Sea videos in a couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CB45S7ZKoc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

We haven't heard from this team in a while. Lot of little improvements. I think we're going to get one hell of a machinima toolkit even if the gameplay falls flat. I can se a lot of youtubers re-doing their Midway and Coral Sea videos in a couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CB45S7ZKoc

drachinifiel would get a kick out of this

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ay folks, can anyone give me a rundown on Panzer Corps 2 and a vague yay or nay about it? Noticed the sale and it's got my attention right now. I played the poo poo out of the Warhammer game that was based on the PC engine but did not actually play PC1.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ay folks, can anyone give me a rundown on Panzer Corps 2 and a vague yay or nay about it? Noticed the sale and it's got my attention right now. I played the poo poo out of the Warhammer game that was based on the PC engine but did not actually play PC1.

I enjoyed it, if you liked the Warhammer one you'd probably like it too. Good kinda "grog-lite" game.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Imo order of battle is generally a better panzer corps. PzC suffers a bit from being quite old and not so tightly balanced but there is a loooot of content for it out there.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah that was why I grabbed Order of Battle a while back, because it was a newer, better PC. PC2 might be a newer, better Order of Battle for all I know tho!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah that was why I grabbed Order of Battle a while back, because it was a newer, better PC. PC2 might be a newer, better Order of Battle for all I know tho!

There's definitely a good bit of cross pollination between OoB and PC2 and PC2 has more support for funky gimmick runs but it has far less content than other games like it right now(aside from Unity of Command 2).

PC2 is in fact kind of unabashedly gamey in some ways, but it's still fun, and honestly at times i think it's more fun for it. For example, ammunition only really comes up if you're cut off from supply(abstracted out to supply hexes or the edge of the map) or if you're using some broken rear end flamethrower tank ping pong build where you just go around the map destroying every enemy infantry unit.

The grand campaigns lean into the gameyness with stuff like recurring enemies like super De Gaulle in an absolutely absurd Char B1 with 1000 traits.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lmao sounds like they leaned into some of the poo poo they tried in the Warhammer game

Alright, thanks for the input all, I'll probably check it out

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Panzer Corps is a Beer and Pretzel game with far too many options that works well if you love to min-max.

Order of Battle is a slower, larger version of Panzer Corps, but with supply and more diversity in missions than PC1

Panzer Corps 2 tried to be Panzer Corps 1 but with more mechanics to compete with OoB.

I still prefer PC1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any thoughts on strategic minds: the Pacific?