Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Web content, in case anyone missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abuQk-6M5R4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1399430315291021312

The Cheerios account actually responded to his challenge in the video. Not what we all were hoping for but not bad

https://twitter.com/cheerios/status/1399458537781141505

Edit: Might have gotten the timeline of events mixed up

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 1, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What does "families make good go round" even mean? :confused:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

"Families bring the good stuff" I think....?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Tiggum posted:

What does "families make good go round" even mean? :confused:

I'll tell you what it doesn't mean, and that's "gently caress you."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
They turned it around on him! John got played hard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I feel like his only option now is to double down and donate 100k while offering an additional 100k for the gently caress You challenge. Then he and the cereal brand go back and forth until HBO or Cheerios run out of money.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cant cook creole bream posted:

They turned it around on him! John got played hard.

If he can find a charity with the words "gently caress You" in the name he can still turn it back on them

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If he can find a charity with the words "gently caress You" in the name he can still turn it back on them

https://www.letsfcancer.com/

Will gently caress Cancer! do?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

They have a great logo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

John Oliver's bit on cereal was incredibly boring.

DC Murderverse posted:

Good news from Texas: maybe some dems aren’t worthless!

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/status/1399234400127045632?s=21

There's still a special legislative session coming where the Republicans may try again, but it's safe for now. Either way, it's still in the Biden administration's interest to aggressively push voting rights to counter what has been done in other states to try killing democracy.

Not that the recent measures are the only things that need fighting. There's un-gerrymandering to do as well.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel like his only option now is to double down and donate 100k while offering an additional 100k for the gently caress You challenge. Then he and the cereal brand go back and forth until HBO or Cheerios run out of money.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1400107620644450313
https://mobile.twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1400107633781006342
https://mobile.twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1400107635181948948

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

2 pictures of some amateur-rear end small time murder families, and one bigtime hardcore professional murder family.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lol John accidentally spit something that was in his mouth during the main segment-- It happens right around here and you can see whatever food chunk it is down at the bottom below his right arm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lXsOYBaow&t=896s

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lol John accidentally spit something that was in his mouth during the main segment-- It happens right around here and you can see whatever food chunk it is down at the bottom below his right arm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lXsOYBaow&t=896s

I remember when David Letterman moved from NBC to CBS, and I think it was his second episode when he pointed to something flying out of his mouth on the previous episode. It happened again that same week.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The cake

The icing

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1400151676439318528

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I know it sort of violated the spirit of the challenge, but that guy volunteered to have cheerios say gently caress you at him. Lucky sob

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
John really needs to stop doing intro stories and just jump into the main focus. Him boiling the NYC mayor race down to 'lol so weird' and ignoring poo poo like the cop dude he focused on the apartment thing with also literally wanting to fire most of NYC's teachers because 'virtual learning means one teacher can teach hundreds' and other true psycho poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It is a comedy show, after all. The real question is why don't more actual journalists perform their duties as well as a third-tier, British stand-up comedian.

John Oliver, and before him Jon Stewart, should not be the Cronkite/Jennings of our era. LWT does an amazing job of sticking to the serious topics they discuss, and not letting the suburbanites ignore things because the teams changed from red to blue, but I think we are already asking and expecting too much from a show that is, at its core, Weekend Update. It's not fair to ask him to just turn into the A/V department of ProPublica (although that would be very cool if it happened).

I'm also pretty sure one of the writers is a goon...the show seems to react to the thread. :tinfoil:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Real journalists don't do it because they're being paid not to do it. Their bosses don't allow them to do it, and actively pay them to do other stuff so they don't have time to do that kind of work even if they wanted to do so. Their bosses also wouldn't air/print it even if they did, in a lot of cases, leaving them no avenue to actually make use of all the work they put in. So why put in that work, if it will just be ignored?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
You act like it is malicious, but if even one of them thought they could make more money by being honest they would all flock to the truth in an instant.
:nallears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh I don't think it's malicious; it's just economics. Journalists do what they're paid to do, because they like being able to eat and need a wage, and their bosses generally pay them not to go digging into the kind of material John does because that's generally not what's is perceived to sell. HBO know that John can sell such material, so they pay him to do so. If other groups thought they had the personality or even the platform to sell those kind of stories they'd do the same in a heartbeat.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 14, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And about 98% of news outlets are owned by people that like the way it's done. You really think Sinclair would report on it critically even if it did sell?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azhais posted:

And about 98% of news outlets are owned by people that like the way it's done. You really think Sinclair would report on it critically even if it did sell?

Honestly? Yes, absolutely. I think a lot of the kind of people who own large conglomerates would sell theur ideals without a thought if it'd make them good money.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's actually not legal to cook lobsters alive in Norway.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 14, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

It's actually not legal to cook lobsters alive in Norway.

Well you can't cook them if you're dead, so how do they cook those disgusting garbage ocean bugs? Do they eat them raw?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Lobsters are functionally immortal and eating them should be a crime. :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of those used car salesmen seemed like they were just Bob Odenkirk characters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Well you can't cook them if you're dead, so how do they cook those disgusting garbage ocean bugs? Do they eat them raw?

We kill them before we toss it into the boiling water as to minimize their suffering.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jon Stewart just appeared on Colbert and did a whole weird angry old man rant about how COVID was created in a Wuhan lab leak. It was very, very rough to watch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I found the Wuhan Lab rant very... odd.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What is it about the Wuhan lab theory that people find so unbelievable

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well, there's two versions. There's the CHICOMS CREATED A BIOWEAPON TO UNLEASH UPON THE WORLD version, which the Republicans are into and is loving insane. The other version, where they were studying bat viruses and had a containment accident, is plausible. And it's suspicious they won't allow anyone to look into it.

I'm 100% certain it's a natural bat virus. Whether it came from people loving around with bats directly or an accident at the virology institute, I have no opinion because they're both possible and any kind of real investigation has been stonewalled, so there's nothing to prove or disprove either.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

It doesn’t matter how believable it is, there is no tangible proof and going around yelling about how it’s totally the fault of China Science Gone Too Far is extremely destructive and not helpful and makes you look like a crazy person

Edit: Here's the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfejgwbDQ8

It's absolutely unhinged. If not for his slightly comedic tone it would just be an Alex Jones rant.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 15, 2021

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, there's two versions. There's the CHICOMS CREATED A BIOWEAPON TO UNLEASH UPON THE WORLD version, which the Republicans are into and is loving insane. The other version, where they were studying bat viruses and had a containment accident, is plausible. And it's suspicious they won't allow anyone to look into it.

I'm 100% certain it's a natural bat virus. Whether it came from people loving around with bats directly or an accident at the virology institute, I have no opinion because they're both possible and any kind of real investigation has been stonewalled, so there's nothing to prove or disprove either.

The theory I'd seen being passed around sounded pretty plausible. Some low level employees (maybe sanitation or security guards) who wouldn't have been unaware of the potential dangerous took a bunch of specimens meant for disposal and sold them as meat. Documentation could be forged to cover this up.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
How could an investigation help the lab or China? People will take the investigation itself as a sign of guilt. Results like "found no evidence for" are unsatisfying, and the new narrative will be that it was cleverly covered up. So I don't find it suspicious. Focusing on that lab is just a distraction from our own disastrous public health response.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The problem is China has lied from the start of this and looks awful guilty through it all. The saying goes sunshine is the best disinfectant, at this point there is zero reason if they weren't worried about what would be found to allow international investigators in.

It easily could be that there was cross contamination that allowed something that was being studied to escape and get into the nearby market. Which looks awful but isn't worth the coverup. I'd guarantee 1000% that the Chinese government knows exactly what happened and this has fit their coverup/propaganda playbook to the letter so far. The world will ultimately find out since we always do. The question is how bad is the truth and what will the ramifications of it be?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Call me crazy but maybe white people don't need another way to be racist.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Why was it founded in wuhan? Are there any major bat colonies of interest nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Call me crazy but maybe white people don't need another way to be racist.

Heh 4mil deaths world wide. Oh well the particulars aren't important..just take whatever story China feeds us because we can't look racist.