Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/y5ueAb7.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciate that that's the same bank that Sargon the Sorcerer tried to rob at the end of Crisis.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

So, uh, "Edge" is being metaphorical when he says Clark is his brother, right?

Based on the promo for the next episode, the answer appears to be yes his actual brother and not just another fellow kryptonian

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My semi-live reactions:

I was really expecting Edge to answer to Krypto-Emily in Kryptonian.

This is the opposite of Smallville. Tom Welling got heat vision when he got horny. Now Jordan gets frost breath when he's getting cozy with Sarah.

I feel like there's a take where Sarah actually sings a full song. Interestingly, I think this is the first episode cwtv doesn't have listed as an Extended Cut.

"You'd still be a coward." :iceburn:

Kyle had some of the worst green screen ever in that barn scene.

Oh, Edge is Kryptonian. I guess Leslie Larr isn't the mastermind like I was thinking.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I don't know but the show has bought enough good will with me to do their own changes in canon.
That being said Edge straight-up says they want to "change the world for the better" in this episode, which sounds like
an Eradicator thing to say! (I mean, every villain says a variation of that, but that's what the Eradicator wanted to do).

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like this show actually nails the aesthetic that Zach Snyder is going for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They could be using New Earth to retcon Edge into Dru-Zod.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Slamhound posted:

I feel like this show actually nails the aesthetic that Zach Snyder is going for.

It definitely feels like it's borrowing Snyderverse ideas, especially with how Superman fights by super speed slamming into people and the way he just vanishes/appears with a sonic boom. It's cool stuff.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sad that they had to go for the "Mexico is always tinted yellow" aesthetic though.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

oh jay posted:

My semi-live reactions:

This is the opposite of Smallville. Tom Welling got heat vision when he got horny. Now Jordan gets frost breath when he's getting cozy with Sarah.

I feel like there's a take where Sarah actually sings a full song. Interestingly, I think this is the first episode cwtv doesn't have listed as an Extended Cut.

"You'd still be a coward." :iceburn:

Oh, Edge is Kryptonian. I guess Leslie Larr isn't the mastermind like I was thinking.

The CW website uploads the extended cut on Wednesday sometime after lunch; I know the regular version was up in the morning but I was able to watch extended after work

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

My semi-live reactions:

I figure the only reason they didn't is so they could save the Edge reveal until the end.

quote:

I know right? It was so jarring compared to everything else which was pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

He definitely isn't literally Clark's brother seeing as he had a different house crest on his shirt.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sooo, hitherto unknown half brother eh?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Sooo, hitherto unknown half brother eh?

Ehhh...not the most outlandish thing, but yeah still kinda out there. They did name drop the Eradicator though. I guess this is all contemporaneous with Kara's stint in the Phantom Zone or something? or maybe after? I'd think this is big news for her to be concerned about, but since Clark is on it, they're letting him handle it just as he lets Kara's team handle their stuff.

Edit: Okay, Kara definitely should've been roped in. Also, I am also predicting they'll do a version of the Superwoman arc from Superman Rebirth.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 16, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In a perfect world, yeah, Kara absolutely would be useful because she has way more in common with Edge than Clark does since she remembers Krypton too (and weirdly is the oldest of the trio), but that's not going to happen for a whole host of reasons so there's no sense in worrying about it.

I mean heck, Kryptonian witches from Argo City tried to remake Earth as Krypton and Clark didn't bother to show up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I do like that Clark immediately told everyone in the family. I remember when they said no more secrets on Arrow and then immediately went back to keeping secrets. :v:

Chuckling a bit everytime that Clark's mom mentions how she's and most kryptonians are good people but then she named her invention the eradicator.

A bit surprised they dealt with all fake krytonians already. I wonder what else Edge has planned.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Good show, good show.

Lois in her bad rear end leather jacket and shades pleases me.

Jonathan schooling grandpa and telling him to act like a person. His reaction to the threats also A +.

I like Jordan too, he has a soft sensitive thing about him like his poppa. Wish they weren't doing the nice guy "I'll be your friend but really want more" thing but it's realism at its finest. Would be nice if they actually stuck with friends and he found someone else.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A bit surprised they dealt with all fake krytonians already. I wonder what else Edge has planned.

Yeah, that was a surprise, considering there are still three episodes remaining! I guess Edge still has his own Fortress though, and the AI of their mum. Nothing good can come of that. I still suspect the Superman we saw on the other Earth had been taken over by another consciousness... possibly Edge himself. That could still happen here, especially since Superman is mostly powerless right now.

I wonder if Lana will remember parts of what happened and figure out Clark is Superman?

Was half-expecting Jordan to have to step in and fight this episode... or help blast the Eradicator. But I guess his time to shine will be in the next episode or two, since his dad's batteries are fully drained right now. I'm trying to think which powers are still locked away... is it just flight, speed and x-ray vision?

Jon continues to be a wise, compassionate and no-bullshit human being and I love him for that. I hope he and John Henry Irons get to bond a little before the season ends. I think a quiet scene between just the two of them would be really great.

jassa fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 16, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now that I think about it, Edge was kind of a dummy to just leave the eradicator device completed unguarded. Unless he has a hell of an ace up his sleeve, seems like he just lost his only way to bring back kryptonians.

jassa posted:

Yeah, that was a surprise, considering there are still three episodes remaining!

This season will actually have 15 episodes for some reason and the finale will be directed by Tom Cavanaugh. :zoomed:

gyrotachometer
Jul 20, 2020
A couple times it looks im watching the beginning of a inspirational commercial for raytheon or something.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If Superman's mom didn't intend for her tech to be used that way why did she exclusively upload absolute assholes into it?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I wonder if she named X-Kryponite before Kryptonite even existed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

If Superman's mom didn't intend for her tech to be used that way why did she exclusively upload absolute assholes into it?

That's kind of Krypton. They were dicks.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Who is Leslie Larr do we know? That's not a Kryptonian name and she's definitely Edge's right hand woman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Who is Leslie Larr do we know? That's not a Kryptonian name and she's definitely Edge's right hand woman.
She's from Smallville and real name is Irma Sayres. apparently Leslie Larr is a variation on a Supergirl villain, Lesla-Lar.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

howe_sam posted:

In a perfect world, yeah, Kara absolutely would be useful because she has way more in common with Edge than Clark does since she remembers Krypton too (and weirdly is the oldest of the trio), but that's not going to happen for a whole host of reasons so there's no sense in worrying about it.

I mean heck, Kryptonian witches from Argo City tried to remake Earth as Krypton and Clark didn't bother to show up.

I just wish they'd address it with one or two lines.

Lois "Clark, you should bring Kara in on this"
Clark "I tried to get in touch but her team told me she is working on something off world"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Clark "I tried to get in touch but her team told me she is working on something off world"

I personally think that sounds terrible and clunky. That is an anti-example of how a shared universe should enrich a story.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

oh jay posted:

I personally think that sounds terrible and clunky. That is an anti-example of how a shared universe should enrich a story.

I'm not a television writer, I imagine they could do the dialogue for that concept much better.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's not the dialogue itself. It's the concept. Drawing attention to "we'd like to show you something fun, but we can't or won't" is not good and cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lois called Superman the "first and best hero" which isn't true in the Arrowverse unless they just retconned out the 1940s heroes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've said it before, but they just keep proving how right I am in saying that combining the universes was the dumbest possible idea. If anything, they should have split the worlds into even more universes to provide a handy excuse for why Superman, Supergirl and the Flash aren't constantly helping each other out, or how anything in Black Lightning can possibly make any sense at all. Make it actually difficult to travel from one world to another and even communication inconvenient. That way you can still do crossovers when you want to but you don't have that shadow of "why aren't the super heroes working together?" hanging over everything.

Also, what the hell was the point of that justice league headquarters they made with all the hero symbols in it? It implies possibilities that they obviously knew were never going to happen. Basically an intentional setup for disappointment.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Spacebump posted:

Clark "I tried to get in touch but her team told me she is working on something off world" her show is very bad now and we want nothing to do with it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bets on Lara still being inside Lana?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rhyno posted:

Bets on Lara still being inside Lana?

I'm thinking remnant memory fragments & knowledge at most, but not her consciousness.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I'm not a television writer, I imagine they could do the dialogue for that concept much better.
“A new cupcake shop opened in National City. We won’t see her for months.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I've said it before, but they just keep proving how right I am in saying that combining the universes was the dumbest possible idea. If anything, they should have split the worlds into even more universes to provide a handy excuse for why Superman, Supergirl and the Flash aren't constantly helping each other out, or how anything in Black Lightning can possibly make any sense at all. Make it actually difficult to travel from one world to another and even communication inconvenient. That way you can still do crossovers when you want to but you don't have that shadow of "why aren't the super heroes working together?" hanging over everything.

Also, what the hell was the point of that justice league headquarters they made with all the hero symbols in it? It implies possibilities that they obviously knew were never going to happen. Basically an intentional setup for disappointment.

Not to mention the 1984 style apocalypse world that turned up on Legends last year, which has to take the blue ribbon on "crossovers were a bad idea". They didn't even brush it under the rug at the end of that arc; the Legends just deposed the leaders and hosed off. 2020 should be a mush obsessed apocaworld, and yet...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
"But why doesn't (x)-man help?" has applied to literally every comic for the last 80 years and no one ever cared. When the writers have a fun idea for a cross-over, they do it, and otherwise we just don't worry about it.

Just caught up on the last two episodes and this show is great. I think what gets me the most is just the consistency. Plenty of shows have good episodes, but I don't think this show has had one stinker so far.

Also the music is really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's a good point. 10 episodes in and now bad ones yet is a massive streak for a CW series.

Like my only complaint about the show is you can see Tyler's chest padding when he raises his arms too high. And that's minor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

XboxPants posted:

"But why doesn't (x)-man help?" has applied to literally every comic for the last 80 years and no one ever cared.
I don't read comics. I'm talking about a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

I don't read comics. I'm talking about a TV show.

They've got their own problems, get over it.