Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Marc Maron was in one of the issues today but i forget which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So the big reveal is definitely that they're colonizing Mars, right? Given that they sent all the omega level mutants through a gate just before the fireworks, I imagine that that is what the "fireworks" are. Them terraforming the planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Adder Moray posted:

So the big reveal is definitely that they're colonizing Mars, right? Given that they sent all the omega level mutants through a gate just before the fireworks, I imagine that that is what the "fireworks" are. Them terraforming the planet.
It's possible. They did send Armor to go put a portal up on Mars back in HOXPOX

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I get that one of the reasons they do these cross-title evens is to sell more issues, but children of the atom didn't even get them to it. All 6 issues have been underwhelming. It seems like a lot of stuff happened between issues or maybe I got so bored with the previous issue and didn't finish. Either my money is on this one to get the ax next

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So the X-Men have definitely terraformed Mars. I wonder if they will invite humans there as well. But that's also a pretty safe place if they're sick of getting attacked.

Maybe they could also offer it to Namor to get him to join up. He wasn't impressed by an island, but I think a planet might get his attention.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

So the X-Men have definitely terraformed Mars. I wonder if they will invite humans there as well. But that's also a pretty safe place if they're sick of getting attacked.

Maybe they could also offer it to Namor to get him to join up. He wasn't impressed by an island, but I think a planet might get his attention.

Mars got terraformed back in Hickman's Avengers run, though I'm not sure how much of that actually happened.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Mars got terraformed back in Hickman's Avengers run, though I'm not sure how much of that actually happened.

I don't think all of it did, and I think Ex Nihilo then abandoned it. Or he died and the planet went back to the way it was. Either way, the X-Men are taking it.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 10, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Adder Moray posted:

I just realized now why they're calling it Planet Sized X-Men. :v:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Colonizing a planet seems like a good way to develop the need for a human immigrant labor population

Although I guess alternately they could have Madrox do it all. What's his upper limit on dupes anyway?

Also after reading X-Men this week I think I need to go read Zdarsky's Invaders series because I really am having trouble understanding why anyone puts up with Namor. He's like Doom if you replaced being scheming with being really aggro, and with personal interest in the other Richards spouse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was very clearly sour grapes. the real answer to "how is your empire going" was "better than yours ever has" but mags and xavier were trying to be polite. "i'm in charge of everything in my fantasies" was really not the burn namor thought it was.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I was wondering if Namor would change his mind if he knew Moira's deal, but then Mars doesn't really feel like a Moira thing anyway.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Mars doesn't really feel like a Moira thing anyway.

There's a lot of Mars stuff in the Moira lives shown in HoXPoX.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just to be clear about Children of the Atom so there's absolutely no ambiguity about it: these are just human kids, right? These are human-rear end normal kids who have severe mutant envy and we're supposed to feel bad for them about it because a couple of them are LGBT+?

Tbh the more I read about this the more annoyed I am at Ayala.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
He uses them so infrequently that Im 1,000% sure the arrako mutants were introduced by hickman as cannon fodder for some event down the road where they need to establish a villain as being ultra badass so they whipe out the arrako mutants, conveniently leaving all of the valuable IP alive for when movies start coming out

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

BrianWilly posted:

Just to be clear about Children of the Atom so there's absolutely no ambiguity about it: these are just human kids, right? These are human-rear end normal kids who have severe mutant envy and we're supposed to feel bad for them about it because a couple of them are LGBT+?

They hve something to do with that group that was grafting mutant parts onto themselves like those dudes did with dominos skin recently

It seems like a book written for trade with a reveal at the end that literaly everyone has figured out by issue 1

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
What's up with Quentin grabbing those particular mutants at the end. The go through the gateway to what I'm assuming is terraformed Mars. But the power sets are interesting: The 3 of the 5 that go powers: Reality manipulations, Growth/Regrowth, The synergy/mimicry of Hope, Storm with Weather Control, Jean with Telepathy (possibly to connect to Emma to show everyone at the gala what they see on Mars), and whatever the gently caress EXodus' powers are....maybe they're going to grow something in real time but it's not a person so they don't need egg or tempus?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re all the Omega level mutants.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

What's up with Quentin grabbing those particular mutants at the end. The go through the gateway to what I'm assuming is terraformed Mars. But the power sets are interesting: The 3 of the 5 that go powers: Reality manipulations, Growth/Regrowth, The synergy/mimicry of Hope, Storm with Weather Control, Jean with Telepathy (possibly to connect to Emma to show everyone at the gala what they see on Mars), and whatever the gently caress EXodus' powers are....maybe they're going to grow something in real time but it's not a person so they don't need egg or tempus?

They're building a mutant circuit to make Mars habitable in one go. You missed they picked up Bobby too, and I imagine Magneto had already crepted off. With these omega level mutants they've got all the parts they need to give the planet an atmosphere and a climate.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This is all so loving cool.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’re all the Omega level mutants.

I don't know how I didn't make that connection at the time

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s ok. I didn’t either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JoshCrewsReally/status/1403724282836836354?s=20

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

For anyone who's not a regular Jay and Miles listener, this week's episode is an interview with Si Spurrier about Way of X and it's excellent. He's a great interview and it's just a fun conversation. He gives some very vague spoilers about upcoming issues but nothing significant. Well worth listening to.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Quotey posted:

ILLUMINATI ILLUMINATI

THEY'RE COMING BACK

e: did they ever really leave

I think that falls into that confusing thing of "just who remembers the lead-up to Secret Wars and how much of it do they remember?" because I think the only definite "yes"s are T'Challa and Reed. I know if Cap remembered any of the incursion poo poo he wouldn't be standing in the same room with the rest of those dudes. Might still be ready to fight Tony to death in the desert.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was very clearly sour grapes. the real answer to "how is your empire going" was "better than yours ever has" but mags and xavier were trying to be polite. "i'm in charge of everything in my fantasies" was really not the burn namor thought it was.

I think it's a bit of a burn because he's essentially saying that they're still trying to play nice with the humans. Like, even with them declaring to the world that they are the future and they're gonna dominate the world via capitalism and their drugs, they're still more or less trying to live Xavier's dream... or a variation of it, where mutants coexist with humans peacefully (even if they're dominating them socially/financially/etc). Namor's going "You guys are throwing this shindig and trying to look cool to these celebs and maybe form diplomatic relationships with these ambassadors. My dream is to rule everything."

Essentially it's a wordier version of that panel where Isca the Unbeaten tells Xavier and Mags that they're a child government. Namor's saying "yeah, this is real cute and all boys but I'm not settling to be on some council, I'm the king of the loving ocean, I'm gonna rule it all"

Cloks posted:

Marc Maron was in one of the issues today but i forget which.

Can't wait to hear who Professor X's guys are.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 15, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

TwoPair posted:

I think that falls into that confusing thing of "just who remembers the lead-up to Secret Wars and how much of it do they remember?" because I think the only definite "yes"s are T'Challa and Reed. I know if Cap remembered any of the incursion poo poo he wouldn't be standing in the same room with the rest of those dudes. Might still be ready to fight Tony to death in the desert.

I'd be interested to actually see more written about that, but I doubt it'll happen. However, there's no reason they can't just organically meet up again- after all, the main Illuminati series was in 2005 or 6, clearing out some continuity stuff and setting up Secret Invasion.

I'm glad Reed has got something on Xavier though. Dick move.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quotey posted:

I'd be interested to actually see more written about that, but I doubt it'll happen. However, there's no reason they can't just organically meet up again- after all, the main Illuminati series was in 2005 or 6, clearing out some continuity stuff and setting up Secret Invasion.

Nah, Reed was in the wrong to block Franklin's mutant gene and this is one of the few times Xavier does something aggressive and is completely in the right.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BrianWilly posted:

I would normally say there has to be something more because the first issue so obviously puts that conclusion out there. Maybe people who are farther along than what's on Unlimited h ave a better perspective than me. I guess it could be kind of cool to see people get away with being fake mutants for as long as possible, that sounds like interesting tension.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
The interesting thing about the exchange between Namor and Xavier/Magneto is how Namor talks about it being beneath him to sit on a council composed of those that think themselves equal to him, while giving you the impression that he isn't only thinking about the Krakoa council but also the Illuminati, but then he blatantly ends up choosing being a part of the latter.

Quotey posted:

"I know about Moria"

As much as I think that the Moria retcon only works if it is truly one of the best kept secrets in the universe, I am willing to buy that Reed knows about her since he had a major part in putting that universe back together post secret wars. He probably couldn't retain all the information that he was exposed to during that process, but poo poo like there being a mutant that's capable of resetting the entire universe might have been something that he thought worth remembering down the line.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"You look like a dork in that thing."

That line coming from Reed would be a major burn.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

"You look like a dork in that thing."

That line coming from Reed would be a major burn.

"Please return my alternate version's wardrobe thanks"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If Reed, or anyone, would reveal to Charles they know about Moira, Charles would absolutely brain fry them or throw them in the pit.

danbanana posted:

Speaking of if Maker around? Last I saw him he was in... Venom?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Meanwhile the Maker's spying on them going "please, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing all white. The giant gold X on the helmet though...."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Reed and Charles actually going to war instead of their squabble in X-Men/FF would make Cap vs Iron Man look like child’s play.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

Can't wait to hear who Professor X's guys are.

literally lmao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, I don't think I'll read New Mutants again while it's being written by Vita Ayala. It was a massive red flag last issue with Karma's leg, something that was a recent development with the character and that Karma spent every appearance since complaining about, now suddenly wanted to be resurrected without a leg so she would still wear a prosthetic, which turned out to be a plot point to apparently win Twitter points by the author. That was bad. No, it wasn't about inclusion. No one with a disability given the chance to be born again would say "but hey, chop off my leg afterwards, ok? It wouldn't feel 'me' otherwise"

Now this issue features some random creep with Karma putting him down for what feels like another cheap Twitter feel good thing. It's super distracting and doesn't help that it lasted three or four pages. I rolled my eyes but kept going.

And then (major spoiler) Vita Ayala decides to kill Gabby off-screen. What. The. gently caress. This is complete trite and just awful in general.

I don't know. I like the moments to moments with the cast of characters. I was even taking a screenshot of Magik making the joke everyone knows about Sunfire. Which makes the bad parts hit that much harder, because part of me just doesn't want to write off the whole thing like this, but they really stand out and sour the whole experience.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Somebody owning who they are is actually a strong character decision and not "for twitter points." What the gently caress does that even mean

Anyway New Mutants and Planet Sized especially ruled real hard.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'll read New Mutants again while it's being written by Vita Ayala. It was a massive red flag last issue with Karma's leg, something that was a recent development with the character and that Karma spent every appearance since complaining about, now suddenly wanted to be resurrected without a leg so she would still wear a prosthetic, which turned out to be a plot point to apparently win Twitter points by the author. That was bad. No, it wasn't about inclusion. No one with a disability given the chance to be born again would say "but hey, chop off my leg afterwards, ok? It wouldn't feel 'me' otherwise"

Now this issue features some random creep with Karma putting him down for what feels like another cheap Twitter feel good thing. It's super distracting and doesn't help that it lasted three or four pages. I rolled my eyes but kept going.

And then (major spoiler) Vita Ayala decides to kill Gabby off-screen. What. The. gently caress. This is complete trite and just awful in general.

I don't know. I like the moments to moments with the cast of characters. I was even taking a screenshot of Magik making the joke everyone knows about Sunfire. Which makes the bad parts hit that much harder, because part of me just doesn't want to write off the whole thing like this, but they really stand out and sour the whole experience.
The Gaby decision definitely does not seem like it was made by Vita to me. Inferno seems to be about people who can't have loved ones come back to Krakoa. Led by Mystique, but I would not be surprised if there are lots of other people who join her side over this. Including Laura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
karma never had any particular attachment to her prosthetic leg and it was a relatively new part of her life. forge i could definitely see keeping his prosthetics if given the choice, but not karma. still, it's better to be inclusive than not and who really cares that much about karma's leg anyway?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

would you say that Vita Ayala is Virtue Signalling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Planet-Sized owns

Saoshyant posted:

Dumb explanations about Oracle being in a wheelchair voluntarily are back in full force, wonderful