Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh my!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Everyone at work hates the guy in the Tesla with a handicap placard (I sprained my ankle!) Who hogs the one Edison outlet to power his muskmobile.

So I ask you fine people, are Teslas dickwads if they're plugging into a L1 charger in a public locale?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is the second E30 conversion I've seen now and it's interesting that both used a large Tesla motor with 2 Volt battery packs.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

So I ask you fine people, are Teslas dickwads if they're plugging into a L1 charger in a public locale?

Probably, because a Tesla battery is so enormous 8 hours of L1 charging doesn't amount to much. Exception would be if the person has no charging at home. Otherwise leave it for the Leaf or PHEV drivers.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I would generally call plugging a Tesla or anything else with a battery that big into L1 an indicator of desperation.

Edit; so this popped up in my youtube feed, probably because I watched a previous video from the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxGGP8UCeI0
Seeing an all EV race remains bizarre because its so quiet.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 16, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If you think a Tesla battery’s big just you wait until the Lightnings, Rivians, and Hummers come out. You’re looking at about 2 weeks to charge via level 1.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah the first thing I did after reserving the lightning was to check that my main circuit breaker is 200A and watch a video on how to install a L2 charger

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah the first thing I did after reserving the lightning was to check that my main circuit breaker is 200A and watch a video on how to install a L2 charger

I think I saw the top spec Lightning takes up to ~19kw charging. That's about a 100A circuit breaker (80a continuous). Is there such a thing as a 300a service? What do people with huge houses and pools and stuff do?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pay for whatever they want, from what I've seen.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Charles posted:

I think I saw the top spec Lightning takes up to ~19kw charging. That's about a 100A circuit breaker (80a continuous). Is there such a thing as a 300a service? What do people with huge houses and pools and stuff do?

Some very large houses have 400A services. 200A service is enough for most houses, though, especially a house like mine that's 1800 square feet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sanchez posted:

Probably, because a Tesla battery is so enormous 8 hours of L1 charging doesn't amount to much. Exception would be if the person has no charging at home. Otherwise leave it for the Leaf or PHEV drivers.

Thinking in % is a mistake. He gets the same added range per hour as a Leaf, since the consumption is similar. He just has room for more. That doesn't exclude him being a dick of course.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
God drat, I just got a bug up my rear end and checked my panel again - I only have 1 single pole space :negative:

sub-panel installation here we come

edit: i guess i can just use a dual breaker. Phew

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 16, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Actually, didn't the available literature say that the 80A Ford Pro Chargers are only to be installed by a certified partner? That makes me think that it's not just a regular charger, it could also have current transformers attached to the line side of the panel to measure total usage and pare back the power consumption so it doesn't trip anything.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ola posted:

Thinking in % is a mistake. He gets the same added range per hour as a Leaf, since the consumption is similar. He just has room for more. That doesn't exclude him being a dick of course.

Some versions of the Model 3 are actually more efficient than a Leaf which is kinda mind blowing considering the performance difference.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://youtu.be/C1dQtlrI7uU

:stare: The Mustang Mach-Es cooling system looks like a nightmare.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My sincere apologies for posting a TikTok but assuming the timestamp on this is correct and it was recently filmed, is this really what the Tejon Ranch supercharger is like in the middle of the week? I think all the schools are out now so we're in summer vacation, but that's insane for anything other than a non-holiday weekend (and I wouldn't deal with the holiday weekend wait times either). I can't view the comments without making an account but how long a line is that? I looked it up and they have 24 stalls, but anyone there going over the Grapevine is going to need a lot of power and have a while to the next charging station, so I'm assuming a lot of them are going for a pretty full charge. If you're not familiar with California, this freeway exit is basically your last stop for a lot of food options and services before you go over a steep mountain pass in the middle of nowhere that will let you know if your car's cooling system needs some work (assuming you're heading south). It's fun on a motorcycle or sports car, but not nearly as fun in a high-mileage 94 Civic in the middle of the summer.

https://www.tiktok.com/@lalalalove13/video/6974154169984748806

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I’m gonna guess that’s not abnormal, they’re apparently adding 56 (yes 56) chargers across the highway. Plus 20 more about 10 miles north.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

My sincere apologies for posting a TikTok but assuming the timestamp on this is correct and it was recently filmed, is this really what the Tejon Ranch supercharger is like in the middle of the week? I think all the schools are out now so we're in summer vacation, but that's insane for anything other than a non-holiday weekend (and I wouldn't deal with the holiday weekend wait times either). I can't view the comments without making an account but how long a line is that? I looked it up and they have 24 stalls, but anyone there going over the Grapevine is going to need a lot of power and have a while to the next charging station, so I'm assuming a lot of them are going for a pretty full charge. If you're not familiar with California, this freeway exit is basically your last stop for a lot of food options and services before you go over a steep mountain pass in the middle of nowhere that will let you know if your car's cooling system needs some work (assuming you're heading south). It's fun on a motorcycle or sports car, but not nearly as fun in a high-mileage 94 Civic in the middle of the summer.

https://www.tiktok.com/@lalalalove13/video/6974154169984748806

Obviously it's not this bad but I've seen a line of Tesla's waiting on I95 going southbound to New York in near Stamford CT. My guess is that a lot of people charge up before going through/into NYC.

On Thanksgiving it's a total clusterfuck.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoomTrainPhD posted:

More hoses is better. Distributes your hose loads. Hoses last longer.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Building off of this: can someone explain to me what a heat pump is and if it's a big deal that the Mach-E doesn't have one?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Building off of this: can someone explain to me what a heat pump is and if it's a big deal that the Mach-E doesn't have one?

A heat pump is a device for extracting heat from a cool substance and transferring it to a warm substance, against the natural flow direction. An air conditioner is a heat pump, taking heat out of a house and transferring it outside. Turn that around and you can use it for heating, taking heat from outside and transferring it indoors.

That doesn't happen for free. It takes energy to do it. However, you can generally transfer more energy than you use, so it's better than resistance heat which just changes electricity into heat directly.

Resistance heating means you get instant heat wherever you want it, just by running wires to it. A heat pump is more complicated and requires refrigerant and hoses, as well as ductwork to move the air around.

So a heat pump is complicated and expensive to make but cheaper to run. Resistance heating is simple and cheap to install, but more expensive to run.

Neither is inherently better, it's a matter of what your priorities are for your situation. More expensive electric cars will go with heat pumps because they have the budget and it gives them more range.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J52mDjZzto

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lol I was just about to suggest this.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I'm the scrap if dropped part mounted at the very top

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I watched like the first 5 minutes of that video until I realized I had other things to do - is this all much ado about nothing? I know Munro is a highly regarded engineer but he also seems to be a type of guy that endlessly harps on stuff he just doesn't approve of because it doesn't increase efficiency by 5% rather than accepting that it is 'good enough'.

So an engineer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Deteriorata posted:

A heat pump is a device for extracting heat from a cool substance and transferring it to a warm substance, against the natural flow direction. An air conditioner is a heat pump, taking heat out of a house and transferring it outside. Turn that around and you can use it for heating, taking heat from outside and transferring it indoors.

That doesn't happen for free. It takes energy to do it. However, you can generally transfer more energy than you use, so it's better than resistance heat which just changes electricity into heat directly.

Resistance heating means you get instant heat wherever you want it, just by running wires to it. A heat pump is more complicated and requires refrigerant and hoses, as well as ductwork to move the air around.

So a heat pump is complicated and expensive to make but cheaper to run. Resistance heating is simple and cheap to install, but more expensive to run.

Neither is inherently better, it's a matter of what your priorities are for your situation. More expensive electric cars will go with heat pumps because they have the budget and it gives them more range.

The Mach E already has a heat pump, it's called an air conditioner. What Americans typically call a "heat pump" is just a regular air conditioner with a reversing valve to let the refrigerant run through the system in the opposite direction. The cost in parts between an "air conditioner" and a "heat pump" is about $5.

There is no excuse for a modern electric car that isn't a hybrid to not have a heat pump.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Kunabomber posted:

I watched like the first 5 minutes of that video until I realized I had other things to do - is this all much ado about nothing? I know Munro is a highly regarded engineer but he also seems to be a type of guy that endlessly harps on stuff he just doesn't approve of because it doesn't increase efficiency by 5% rather than accepting that it is 'good enough'.

So an engineer.

His firm's actual business is telling a car company how to save a nickel on every unit sold by changing a screw.

Iirc He became a YouTube Thing when the Tesla stans found a report he did on some other car show about how great things like the super bottle was in the 3 for cost saving and simplicity reasons so now he tends to toss in a Tesla comparison in every vid so they keep watching.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is no excuse for a modern electric car that isn't a hybrid to not have a heat pump.

I feel like most electric cars didn't have a heat pump until last year. Was it really this $5 that was the problem? I find that hard to believe. More likely no one in cold climates was expected to buy one until the range got really good / the infrastructure was built out so they didn't worry about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Evil Robot posted:

I feel like most electric cars didn't have a heat pump until last year. Was it really this $5 that was the problem? I find that hard to believe. More likely no one in cold climates was expected to buy one until the range got really good / the infrastructure was built out so they didn't worry about it.

There are 3 differences between heat pumps and air conditioners.

1: The reversing valve. This is the ONLY component difference between the two
2: The refrigerant choice, since it needs to be capable of working to heat the car when outside ambient temps are low as well as cool the car when outside ambient temps are high, it needs to be able to work in a larger range of temps.
3: The controller for the valve needs to be updated to be able to operate it to work in heat mode versus cooling mode, and overall UI needs to be updated to allow the user to control the device as a heater.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Mach E already has a heat pump, it's called an air conditioner. What Americans typically call a "heat pump" is just a regular air conditioner with a reversing valve to let the refrigerant run through the system in the opposite direction. The cost in parts between an "air conditioner" and a "heat pump" is about $5.

Yeah he was talking endlessly about a bespoke Tesla part that can replace the multiple off-the-shelf components that were used in the Mach-E and my eyes just started rolling hard.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Teslas are cars and don't have motives. But the driver of a Tesla plugged into an L1 charger in public, I assume, is either in pretty dire straits, or is a dickwad. If they keep using it day after day, they might be a dickwad.

But I'd like to point out that this dovetails nicely with that Tejon Ranch supercharger video. We had to wait in line twice for our travel this weekend, which added 3 hours to the trip. Three hours! But Tesla still has better charging station buildout that anybody else, and I expect this is only happening to Tesla cars right now because there are way more of them in California than any other EV. I bet we're going to see this sort of poo poo amplify real soon now. How many manufacturers are saying they're going to stop selling ICE cars by 2022 or whatever? Then we're going to see the argument against EVs shift to "LOL do you really want to wait three hours to refill your tank", and honestly, that's a good argument to make.

So, for instance, in Albuquerque I-25 and I-40 meet. There are six (6) V2 supercharger stalls in the entire city, so there is always a line. Right now, Tesla does a pretty good job at least letting you know what to expect. You can see, right in the car, how many open stalls there are, how many are out of service, and it even tells you whether there's a line, and roughly how long it is.

There are maybe 6 or 10 CCS chargers in Albuquerque, across probably three different "networks". If I were on a road trip, I would have to do way more work, maybe in PlugShare or Google Maps, to figure out which CCS charger I wanted to use, looking up whether they bill by the minute (LOL), or a flat $7 per charge (LOLOLOLOL), or an outrageous markup per kWh, or what. Then I'd need to open the app for that network to see if anybody was there, and hope there wasn't a line. If there is a line, I'd have to decide to either wait, or risk going to another charger in the hope that it doesn't have one.

This CCS nightmare is not happening, currently, because there are relatively fewer CCS cars on the road than Teslas. But it's coming, and it is going to suuuuuuuuuck. The advantage is that CCS has the potential to build out much, much quicker, since anybody who wants one in their parking lot can just go put one in. I don't think there is an option right now for Joe's Mini-Mart to install a Tesla DC fast charger.

In closing, I really want a CCS to Tesla adapter so I can briefly go back to five years ago when the superchargers weren't clogged up by the massive surge in Tesla manufacturing.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 16, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah he was talking endlessly about a bespoke Tesla part that can replace the multiple off-the-shelf components that were used in the Mach-E and my eyes just started rolling hard.

Yeah,

At least with a plug-in hybrid I can see a reason to exclude the heat pump, as you're going to be running the engine anyway almost certainly, so you may as well extract the waste heat energy to heat the cabin, so adding a heat pump can theoretically be less efficient than just using a heat exchanger on the otherwise wasted heat heat on the engine.

For a full electric car though, there's no excuse except for the manufacturer trying to nickel and dime some savings. Since the EPA doesn't include a winter driving component to their efficiency metrics, using less efficient heating has no impact on the EPA MPGe rating, despite the drastically worse experience for winter driving range for the user.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e-Golf had a heat pump option from 2015, Leaf from 2013, if I've googled correctly. (IIGC is the honest IIRC)

It might be a $5 component to make one into the other, but it obviously takes more than that to integrate it into the car, make it as efficient as possible, nice to use etc.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Kunabomber posted:

God drat, I just got a bug up my rear end and checked my panel again - I only have 1 single pole space :negative:

sub-panel installation here we come

edit: i guess i can just use a dual breaker. Phew

Just making sure you're not going to use the tandem breaker for the car. Use it for a different circuit and put in two full breakers for the charger. This is pretty much the exact situation we had at my workplace when they installed the EVSE, and that's what the electrician did. I'm sure there's a reason for that so if you're going to use a tandem breaker it's probably a good idea to do the same.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Oh no, I meant consolidating 2 of the single pole spaces into a dual breaker.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ola posted:

e-Golf had a heat pump option from 2015, Leaf from 2013, if I've googled correctly. (IIGC is the honest IIRC)

It might be a $5 component to make one into the other, but it obviously takes more than that to integrate it into the car, make it as efficient as possible, nice to use etc.

Oh there are definitely cost to integrating it into your overall design for the vehicle. That's the case for any component. But the per unit costs it adds to your car is about $5.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh there are definitely cost to integrating it into your overall design for the vehicle. That's the case for any component. But the per unit costs it adds to your car is about $5.

* citation needed

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

* citation needed

Yeah I find this claim dubious. My car has an extra 350g (for a total of 900g) of refrigerant versus the non-heatpump model. There's at least one expense.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Charles posted:

Yeah I find this claim dubious. My car has an extra 350g (for a total of 900g) of refrigerant versus the non-heatpump model. There's at least one expense.

At consumer (not industrial order sizes which would be much lower) prices R407C, a common refrigerant used in heat pumps, would cost $8.33 extra for 350 extra grams of refrigerant.

https://www.refrigerantguys.com/R407C-25lb-p/111044.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's perhaps a $5 part if you have an air condition circuit mounted on a demo wall in HVAC class.