Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MegaZeroX posted:

I guess I don't really get people saying the UI looks bad? Maybe its because I've been playing Nocturne, but the UI looks a step up from the other mainline SMT games to me?

The battle UI looks almost exactly like Tokyo Mirages Sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I doubt it would happen but I'm desperately craving fashion options. Let me style that hair! Plug the protagonist into an LED keyboard and let us change what colour he glows.

You are almost certainly going to get different costumes. How many are for-pay DLC is the question

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The TMS-style UI is just weirdly... I dunno, friendly? Probably the wrong word but it's a weird choice for SMT with the rounded edges.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

TMS honestly looked more artistically appealing to me than what SMTV is going for but I get that SMT are supposed to be all apocalypsy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The P5 menu was kinda too busy a lot of the time and I just ended up trying to look 'past' it, if that makes any sense at all.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think a persona style in your face UI could be pretty obnoxious on a small screen. Better to just present the information and get out of the way, especially when the game itself looks so good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
IV had pretty good dressup for a 3DS game. I'd be shocked if there wasn't some customization, though maybe this will take even more inspiration from nocturne and have no armor options.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The system with elemental affinities and unique skills on special fusions in 4A is making some seriously out of date demons punch way above their weight class

I just got a 2k hit out of alice without even having full buffs/debuffs, when she's already below the level of the enemies I'm facing, much less the upper limits of my fusion

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

The battle UI looks almost exactly like Tokyo Mirages Sessions.

Yes. So?

kirbysuperstar posted:

The P5 menu was kinda too busy a lot of the time and I just ended up trying to look 'past' it, if that makes any sense at all.

Or opening menus and tabbing between options while the camera whizzed between team members.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the most important part of P5's menus, imo, wasn't the flashiness (though that was nice, too). It was that each option was assigned to a button so you just pressed a single button to open the submenu, rather than scrolling through a list.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

the most important part of P5's menus, imo, wasn't the flashiness (though that was nice, too). It was that each option was assigned to a button so you just pressed a single button to open the submenu, rather than scrolling through a list.

I mean you still ended up scrolling through a list for anything other than basic attacks/gun poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really don't understand these complaints about P5's menus, these are not things I can honestly say I've ever thought about

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I dislike P5 as much as a person can and I like the menus very much, they're quick to navigate and convery the constant sense of motion the story want you to feel when going through the dungeons.

I wouldn't want that for V, and I think Strikers pushed it a little far, but it was a great fit for the game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean you still ended up scrolling through a list for anything other than basic attacks/gun poo poo.

That's completely unavoidable unless you have few enough options in combat that all of them can be a single button. I'd definitely rather press Square and then select a skill from a menu than select Skill from a menu and then the skill I want in a separate menu.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

I really don't understand these complaints about P5's menus, these are not things I can honestly say I've ever thought about

Same but just about menus in general. Like, yeah, Nu Persona is known for being super stylish, but who gives a poo poo.

"These drat menus" is honestly a thought that has never once crossed my mind while playing any SMT or Persona or RPG at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

That's completely unavoidable unless you have few enough options in combat that all of them can be a single button. I'd definitely rather press Square and then select a skill from a menu than select Skill from a menu and then the skill I want in a separate menu.

I mean that's all preference but having one over the other doesn't erally matter to me. It's not really a improvement either way.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I just don't think P5's menus would really fit the style or tone of a mainline SMT game. Hell it wouldn't fit the tone of P3 or P4 either.

I like the super clean look that's been shown in the trailers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The thing about putting a UI like P5's into an SMT mainline is that P5's is mostly good because it conveys a very specific tone and emotion. It's meant to be a bit frantic and chaotic, because that's the Phantom Thieves' whole vibe.

The actual tone and visuals of an SMT game and the protagonist can vary wildly depending on what alignment you've gone with. If there's tech involved then the angle of essentially making the UI diegetic does you fine no matter what (SMTIV, Strange Journey), but that's not an option for a more demon-focused protagonist like in Nocturne or V, and a more abstract and purely aesthetic visual will most likely clash horribly with one or more alignment choice. P5's UI, for example, would struggle to feel suitable by the end of a Law playthrough.

SMTV's UI kinda has to be aesthetically neutral (while also trying to avoid being aesthetically Neutral), and I think it's fantastic given that limiter.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think a persona style in your face UI could be pretty obnoxious on a small screen. Better to just present the information and get out of the way, especially when the game itself looks so good

That's actually a great point I hadn't thought about. The game has to work in mobile mode, so the UI's readability has be designed around multiple formats. If I was a graphic designer and this was my first crack at that I would totally play it safer and go for something sleeker and clean.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YggiDee posted:

I doubt it would happen but I'm desperately craving fashion options. Let me style that hair! Plug the protagonist into an LED keyboard and let us change what colour he glows.

Make it so one of the negotiation options that appears with 'little girl' or 'young lady' personality demons is allow them to style your luscious hair in exchange for joining your party.
Nadja joins you... and you temporarily get a twintails hairdo or something.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i think it's neat that Atlus is one of the few Japanese game devs can design Japanese "styled" androgynous MCs that still look awesome to Western audiences.
contrast this with the reveal of the FF Origins characters

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

WrightOfWay posted:

I'd definitely rather press Square and then select a skill from a menu than select Skill from a menu and then the skill I want in a separate menu.

So you'd rather select Skill from a menu and then select the skill you want from a new menu than... select Skill from a menu and then select the skill you want from a new menu.

P5 was aesthetically different but that's all. It was still nested menus in the exact same way as normal just with a different style.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fewer buttons is better imo. Pressing square is better than pressing down then X, by a little bit. It's not a huge deal but as I was playing P5 I found it good enough that I thought to myself that in a few years all JRPG menus would be structured that way

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

i think it's neat that Atlus is one of the few Japanese game devs can design Japanese "styled" androgynous MCs that still look awesome to Western audiences.
contrast this with the reveal of the FF Origins characters
I don't think the FFO characters are supposed to look androgynous.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, P5 mapping menu options to buttons means you don't have to move down/up + press a button. Instead you just press a button. It speeds up battles a lot, I really liked it in the newer Cold Steel games and I'm a little sad those games are moving away from turn based.

Also I'm not sure who even was the first game to do that. I know Super Mario RPG on the SNES did it but I could swear there was some other SNES RPG that did something like this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Terper posted:

I don't think the FFO characters are supposed to look androgynous.

It's just a weird low effort swipe to boost up something that isn't related

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, P5 mapping menu options to buttons means you don't have to move down/up + press a button. Instead you just press a button. It speeds up battles a lot, I really liked it in the newer Cold Steel games and I'm a little sad those games are moving away from turn based.
You can still do turn based battles in Kuro, and it looks to have a similar menu mapping as CS3 and 4

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Tae posted:

It's just a weird low effort swipe to boost up something that isn't related

I think it's more that Jack, at least, seems to have been designed for maximum Western appeal because he's just this generic gruff angry man.

But nobody cared and instead we're all on board for the crazy beautiful man with hair to rival Sephiroth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
There are people who claim to really like Jack, Ash and Jed. I just... don't know how ironic they're being, and I'm not sure they do either.

I mostly just see comparisons to the influx of 'ShavedHead McGruffGuns' protagonists from the influx of bland, forgotten early PS360 action games. You know the ones.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah, i do get the impression that many japanese game developers think western and asian audiences have different character design preferences

the kpop boom in the west should underscore that's not true

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

shrike82 posted:

yeah, i do get the impression that many japanese game developers think western and asian audiences have different character design preferences

the kpop boom in the west should underscore that's not true

Of all things, I think it was one of the guys that directed and produced Ninja Gaiden 3 (the one after Itagaki left/got fired) that put it really well after that game failed, when he said, paraphrased: "We heard the west like hamburgers, so we tried to make a Japanese hamburger and failed. So from now on we promise to make drat good sushi."

This guy went on to perform the same roles for both Nioh games, and is apparently credited as a producer on Final Fantasy Origin (although I'm not sure where his name appears, it's not one of the ones in the trailer). So I'm sure he loved seeing the designs Nomura gave them for this.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 16, 2021

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently this is what the protagonist is or is fused with, a purifying Naobi diety.
https://twitter.com/EirikrJS/status/1400848927344242694

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Xk3kBhZ2g

Watching this live stream right now, no game yet, but they keep playing different P4 music.

Atlus knows the all time Persona King. Good taste. Now some IVA music, they just keep being awesome.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 16, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Calling it now. This game is a sequel to the ending in Nocturne where you restore the status quo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mysticblade posted:

Also I'm not sure who even was the first game to do that. I know Super Mario RPG on the SNES did it but I could swear there was some other SNES RPG that did something like this.

FFV and VI, or at least later ports, have an option very similar to this style. Various battle commands are mapped to the dpad, so up is alway Attack, down is Item, and left/right are class-specific (FFV) or magic/character-specific (FFVI).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mysticblade posted:

If smt 5 is anything like nocturne or smt 4 all 8 or 9 max options you have including attack will be listed in the window that auto opens on your turn so you just gotta scroll and select compared to Personas Face Button Then Scroll and select. Its less button inputs in these menus. It even defaults you to hover attack at the start of you turn so thats still just one button press. Input and time wise it is exactly the same.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zmb hates persona 5 so much they cant even agree the objectiviely good parts of the game were good its not worth responding to them

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mysticblade posted:

The SNES Lufia games had a battle system where you opened up different menus in battle by holding a direction + A, and that predates Super Mario RPG by a few years. Not exactly the same but a very similar idea.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Stux posted:

zmb hates persona 5 so much they cant even agree the objectiviely good parts of the game were good its not worth responding to them

I've talked about how much I like a lot of royals new poo poo in this thread a lot Stux. Hell I like the menus in P5 I just don't think they're all that different from normal SMT menus minus style, which doesn't really fit mainline SMT as much as the simplified poo poo from 4 and 5. I just think it's weird to say they save time over the other when it's the exact same amount of inputs. You don't got to find an objective reason to like P5's UI you can just think it's neat, cause it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Spermando posted:

Calling it now. This game is a sequel to the ending in Nocturne where you restore the status quo.

Like that theory where SMTIV takes place after Strange Journey? I could get into it, but I'm wondering what your logic is.