Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

lol Hollow Knight doesnt look like a Newgrounds game, not even close. Stop having terrible opinions. The game is extremely good, if someone doesn't like it then that just means you can ignore anything they say.
I love hollow knight though. its one of my favorite post-newgrounds games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its honestly kinda fascinating, how varied of a reaction people have to the word "newgrounds". like kite accidentally pointed out its definitely a similar kind of scenario to the people that say they "hate anime games but love persona", and then get really hostile when you gently remind them that persona is an anime game

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

feelin bad rn for people who published their flash games on newgrounds since the games they worked on and were presumably proud enough of to publish are now shorthand for poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It wasn't "accidentally pointed out," it was literally what I said

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I think Hollow Knight is phenomenal, but I will agree that the Dark Souls-ish death system seems a little superfluous. I never felt like it added extra stress to the platforming/combat or had a lot of thematic weight.

Do people disagree? I understand the lore implications behind it, but maybe there's a way to look at it that makes it invaluable to the experience or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

its honestly kinda fascinating, how varied of a reaction people have to the word "newgrounds". like kite accidentally pointed out its definitely a similar kind of scenario to the people that say they "hate anime games but love persona", and then get really hostile when you gently remind them that persona is an anime game

homeless snail posted:

yeah, what you're doing is like that I agree

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Hollow Knight devs got their start on Newgrounds and their art style is absolutely heavily influenced by it, to the point that it still shines through even when they have a budget infinitely higher than they did on Newgrounds.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/643636

If they didn't want their game to get compared to their previous newgrounds work they would make it look like Ori or something.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 16, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

might wanna read that post again, because I'm pretty sure I said the opposite of what you think it says. dismissing things because they're anime is stupid, and I'm pretty sure we're posting comrades on this one because I think I've seen you calling people out for that before. its not a value judgement, its just an adjective that (imo deservedly) puts the game into a historical context. persona is an anime game, it would not exist in the form that it is in, without anime, in the same way that hollow knight would not exist, without newgrounds. that's just a fact, team cherry would tell you the same thing, and has said so repeatedly

but then when someone says a game has a newgrounds inspiration you're coming out like "noooo newgrounds? but that's bad, this game is good". I think you're misguided there because its exactly the same perspective as the people on SA a decade ago that were like "persona 4 can't be an anime game, because I like it." 100%

I think it would be better if we dropped this for now though because apparently newgrounds inflicted some kind of immense psychic trauma on you guys that causes you to have a violent reaction when its mentioned, and I'm sorry for that. newgrounds' good

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Newgrounds is (was?) cool. As part of a college course I was part of a team that published a flash game to it, and people actually left really constructive criticism in the comments.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Could I get more than one example of what newgrounds games Hollow Knight looks like because otherwise I'm just going to post "does it look like this" while posting every single episode of Meet and gently caress Kingdom

because when I think of Newgrounds games I think of hyperviolence against stick people and dress-up games where you take all of the clothes off of a Nartuto character

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i played flash games on albinoblacksheep and neopets. im too old for newgrounds

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
People tend to assume 'flash game' = bad, which is lazy as shown by the fact that there are good things in every medium.
Being called newgrounds (especially when the art style is reminiscent to the same team's newgrounds game) does not automatically mean someone is calling it bad.

Some posters are, but that is because some posters do not seem to enjoy video gaming.

Hollow Knight is a fantastic game and just because the art style is simple does not mean anything, especially when you look at the screenshots Zaphod posted. It just has a distinct visual style that does not go for busy elaboration. Like when people say pixel games look bad because there are so many bad looking pixel games. However, get a game like Dead Cells or Shovel Knight and you can see that is untrue.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah that's the stuff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Not all newgrounds games even look remotely alike, so as mentioned previously we're talking more about Dan Paladin and the style of Alien Hominid but Hollow Knight doesn't really look that similar to that.

Its like that one dril tweet "man walking out of theater who has only seen baby genius 'ah this film reminds me of baby genius' " lol

But we're playing a game of thread telephone here, I agree that newgrounds isn't bad at all. We started this because RBA said Hollow Knight was ugly and Rust suggested newgrounds graphics was a complaint.

And homeless snail is arguing in bad faith.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Could I get more than one example of what newgrounds games Hollow Knight looks like because otherwise I'm just going to post "does it look like this" while posting every single episode of Meet and gently caress Kingdom

because when I think of Newgrounds games I think of hyperviolence against stick people and dress-up games where you take all of the clothes off of a Nartuto character
start with dan paladin's account and then, look around because his work was widely imitated on newgrounds to the point of becoming synonymous with "the newgrounds style" in some circles

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

start with dan paladin's account and then, look around because his work was widely imitated on newgrounds to the point of becoming synonymous with "the newgrounds style" in some circles

Do you mean like this

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like that one dril tweet "man walking out of theater who has only seen baby genius 'ah this film reminds me of baby genius' " lol

I laughed so much at this. Dril is great.

But yes, I think Snail is on your side and agreeing that newgrounds is not automatically bad, but that also if something is popular it will be imitated by many and then it will become more synonymous with the place those imitators are.

It has been a bit of a messy thread with people getting het up and there is no need for it.

I have played Metroid Zero Mission and a little bit of Prime 1 and Super. I have completed Hollow Knight.

Will I play Metroid Dread? I think I will!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

yeah? its the games chat thread. for what its worth i looked up my posts from 2018 and the last time we had this argument itt and they were much meaner. i didn't tell anyone to gently caress off once today, kinda disappointed in myself

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah that's the stuff

nice job making it to the white palace

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VideoGames posted:

Hollow Knight is a fantastic game and just because the art style is simple does not mean anything.

Ohhhhh so do you mean like, saying something looks like a "Newgrounds game" generally just mean that things look more simplified?

So like this?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

homeless snail posted:

yeah? its the games chat thread. for what its worth i looked up my posts from 2018 and the last time we had this argument itt and they were much meaner. i didn't tell anyone to gently caress off once today, kinda disappointed in myself

If you want, you can tell me to gently caress off. I can take it, I'm a big strong poster. I know this cause I remind myself I'm a big strong poster every time I look in a mirror, usually while flexing my posting hand.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ohhhhh so do you mean like, saying something looks like a "Newgrounds game" generally just mean that things look more simplified?

So like this?

GOTY 2021.

And yeah I think people are using Newgrounds as a shorthand term and most short hand terms of this nature have become belittling. :(

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

trying to grok what you're saying here but i fear you may be sealioning into a gaslight? *reads notes* nice little strawman

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also currently at work and have the crypt of the necrodancer soundtrack on in the background and it absolutely slaps.

I need to make a list of best VG soundtracks.

Crypt, VVVVVV, Nier:Automata, DKC2, Dicey Dungeons. There is definitely more.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
"Newgrounds art" and "flash art" are terms that are generally used negatively against a game. A common criticism of Hollow Knight's art was that it was "newgrounds" or "flash" art. When someone is saying that the game is ugly because of its newgrounds art, chances are they're not saying "this game is ugly, also the game's art is based on a previous flash game from newgrounds," they are most likely saying "this game is ugly, because its art is newgrounds art and newgrounds art is ugly."

It's a frustrating thing because it is a label that it is generally used to say that something has an objectively inferior art style.

It's okay for you to not like a thing, it's okay to not like a particular art style, it's okay to say something that is objectively a fact like "this game is based on another game that used the same art style and was on newgrounds." But that's not what it gets used for, just like when people sling around terms like "anime" as a negative description for something and only using it on things they don't like. It's not anime if I like it, it's not flash if I like it, etc.

It is also incredibly frustrating when people do like what snail was doing where they post the tedious bad faith misrepresentations of posts and try to spin something an argument out of nothing.

It's annoying. I feel like I'm saying something clearly, something not at all controversial, and then it's purposefully twisted into something else and then I look like a damned idiot for just trying to explain a simple thing. I already feel like a stupid piece of poo poo every day as it is so it's exhausting having an argument about something that wasn't said all because a term has 2 different meanings and uses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Preach it FAK. I'm with you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I only managed to read a couple sentences of that diatribe before I got bored but its easy, when a word has two conflicting definitions and you don't like one of them, pretend one of them doesn't exist until people get frustrated and use the word the way you want them to use it. thats how language has evolved, for thousands of years

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hollow knight is good. Topic locked.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hollow knights, hollow days, hollow maze hollow blaze420

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Now Alien Hominid, that's a good lookin' game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Had a look at the Nioh Fantasy: Enimem edition, and it was entertaining, albeit a tad stiff. Looking forward to the final product.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When I was like 11 I made a Link dress up sim and submitted it to newgrounds but it got blammed...

gently caress newgrounds!!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

VideoGames posted:

Also currently at work and have the crypt of the necrodancer soundtrack on in the background and it absolutely slaps.

Would be interested in seeing this. I have a lot of game OSTs that I listen to and need some new recommendations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah it's "newgrounds" alright

neat
engaging
wow !!
great
o skip
u skip
neat
d skip
silksong

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I only managed to read a couple sentences of that diatribe before I got bored but its easy, when a word has two conflicting definitions and you don't like one of them, pretend one of them doesn't exist until people get frustrated and use the word the way you want them to use it. thats how language has evolved, for thousands of years

Irregardless, this begs the question: what is to be done about these inflammable opinions?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

frytechnician posted:

Would be interested in seeing this. I have a lot of game OSTs that I listen to and need some new recommendations.

Heck join in! Give us some of your recommendations :)

oddium posted:

yeah it's "newgrounds" alright

neat
engaging
wow !!
great
o skip
u skip
neat
d skip
silksong

*Nodding frantically until I get to the last word and realise I badly need updates on where it is and I crumble to the ground.*

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

When I was like 11 I made a Link dress up sim and submitted it to newgrounds but it got blammed...

gently caress newgrounds!!

Death of the Mild
\_________________________________________________________________________

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Death of the Mild

lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Death of the Mild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Rez and Jet Set Radio are the best video game soundtracks of all time imo. Both permanently shaped my taste in music going forward when I played them as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVuQpNFV5Q&t=187s

Honestly, when the Marlena Shaw sample kicks in 20 seconds in from this timestamp, might be one of my favourite moments in any video game ever

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 16, 2021