Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The right-wing newspapers have orchestrated the entire system so that from unpaid internship onwards it's drilled into you that there's zero difference between working for good newspapers and bad newspapers, idiot. TV culture on the other hand is still dominated in the UK by BBC-types who vaguely imagine themselves to be furthering the entire medium as an example to the world, and especially those horrible yanks. Not surprised that GB News struggling to pick up the cream of the crop, at least at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

What does surprise me is that their production values are just so bad. Studio lighting is awful. Sound is echoey. Graphic design is laughable. I know it's a grift but you'd think they could have spent a modest amount of money on the people needed for production values that at least match your average YouTuber, because I can name any number of channels from people who discuss politics, to ASMR, to Let's Players, to folks that do sciencey stuff like Kurgesagt or history channels from the Mongolian Horde to Super Mario Bros speedruns that do a far far better job.

Yeah, this is a really good point, and just bizarre given they're consciously aping Fox News and explicitly tacking towards comment/controversy rather than reporting. Being splashy and eye catching is a big part of that, but this looks like a local news channel

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's also weird they've gone for the "All the stars are here!" method of drawing viewers as if Internet chud No124 and that guy who does the walk around Scotland show will be more successful than the Fox news method of hiring the prettiest blond woman with the biggest boobs.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

You looking at different numbers to me?

Right enough that more cases hasn't meant (many) more deaths, but the number of infected people is rising, and the rate at which its rising is getting faster.

Same numbers but with the 7 day average box unticked. Yes, the average is still rising but if you look at the individual days from 09 - 15 June, it has in fact levelled off.

Jun 09 - 7,540
Jun 10 - 7,393
Jun 11 - 8,125
Jun 12 - 7,738
Jun 13 - 7,490
Jun 14 - 7,742
Jun 15 - 7,673

If it continues like that, we'll see the 7 day average flatten out too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I reckon this is what happens when your entire staff is fourth generation failsons and internet contrarians.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Same numbers but with the 7 day average box unticked. Yes, the average is still rising but if you look at the individual days from 09 - 15 June, it has in fact levelled off.

Jun 09 - 7,540
Jun 10 - 7,393
Jun 11 - 8,125
Jun 12 - 7,738
Jun 13 - 7,490
Jun 14 - 7,742
Jun 15 - 7,673

There's significant reporting lag in those numbers - in particular PCR tests take 3-5 days to show up in the stats - and a level-ish last 7 days almost certainly actually represents a considerable increase over those 7 days.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

... it's also possible that without quite such aggressive triage that people are being admitted this time round that would have been told to go home and take their chances before

My feeling is it's this: I remember during the bad times, the official advice was pretty much: "Stay at home and look after yourself; don't show up at hospital unless you're actually struggling to keep breathing." I guess now hospitals are more able to admit patients for precautionary reasons rather than restricting beds for the most obviously extremely ill people.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pistol_Pete posted:

Jun 09 - 7,540
Jun 10 - 7,393
Jun 11 - 8,125
Jun 12 - 7,738
Jun 13 - 7,490
Jun 14 - 7,742
Jun 15 - 7,673

I'm no statistician but I don't think you should be looking at individual days. If I remember right, weekends always saw depressed numbers comparatively, so the 7 day average is a much more reliable number to follow.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm trying to clear the image of Andrew Neil ASMR

Andrew Neil WikiFeet
Andrew Neil Cancelled by Woke Mob While Stuck In Dryer

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Not to defend brands, but the few I've seen respond to this basically said that they pre-pay for X amount of ad hours and it just goes on various content networks. Given GB news is brand new, it just got generic ads from companies, but they are now pulling them specifically. It seems sincere enough, and the last thing any marketing department wants is to be viewed as "controversial" in their home land.

gently caress knows how Fox news gets ads then?

That's kinda how the ad tech works now. There's opportunity to bulk buy and negotiate "inventory" (think air time) but someone's channel or stream might just be part of a giant cluster of other channels that your ad gets shown on.

Thats a pretty simplified explanation of it, but I might say I wanna show my ad to "folk aged 50 and over who like newsand politics" because I happen to know they're the type of customer who likes buying my stuff.

Systems kinda know who these folks are (based on your browsing/viewing habits) and you get clustered into that audience and shown the same ad. Problem is that you might then go and watch some horrible shite on a horrible place and the ad still gets shown to you.

There's ways to preemptively exclude certain types of channel content, but with the amount of content channels out there it's impossible to get them all.

Basically it's one of those types of task that someone will spend a full day every week scowering all of the places an ad has appeared and putting bad ones on a blacklist.

You can do the opposite too though, like put a specific ad on a specific channel. It usually costs more though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fully Automated Rabbithole Algorithms and the inevitable end result of "NVIDIA Presents: The Skin Melanin IQ Gap REVEALED"

keep punching joe posted:

Andrew Neil Cancelled by Woke Mob While Stuck In Dryer
:gonk::fh:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This house has sky so I get access to a whole host of news channels. GB news are in good company when it comes to odd design choices and fallible audio quality. As for the issues they report on, however, they're fairly unique.

I flick through the B list news channels from time to time because most of them are English language news from other parts of the world. They're reporting on:

Erdrogan's visit to Azerbaijan in light of the Nagorno-Karabakh crisis.
Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya people being relocated to a breeze block built hell island.
Israel flag day attacks.
A protester being beheaded in Saudi Arabia.
Iran's elections.
Japan's parliament not dissolving until October.

GB news was interviewing Saj allowing him to explain why Begum should not have citizenship or be allowed into the UK.

Given that they have a niche, I think they could make it. Especially if they keep getting free advertising from any outrage or supposed embarrassments they incur. If left online spheres keep holding them up as an example of everything bad about media, it's going to help the right find them and love them.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Kin posted:

That's kinda how the ad tech works now. There's opportunity to bulk buy and negotiate "inventory" (think air time) but someone's channel or stream might just be part of a giant cluster of other channels that your ad gets shown on.

Thats a pretty simplified explanation of it, but I might say I wanna show my ad to "folk aged 50 and over who like newsand politics" because I happen to know they're the type of customer who likes buying my stuff.

Systems kinda know who these folks are (based on your browsing/viewing habits) and you get clustered into that audience and shown the same ad. Problem is that you might then go and watch some horrible shite on a horrible place and the ad still gets shown to you.

There's ways to preemptively exclude certain types of channel content, but with the amount of content channels out there it's impossible to get them all.

Basically it's one of those types of task that someone will spend a full day every week scowering all of the places an ad has appeared and putting bad ones on a blacklist.

You can do the opposite too though, like put a specific ad on a specific channel. It usually costs more though.

Yeah this is actually quite a big problem and there’s a whole industry springing up around it. I follow this person on Twitter and she’s pretty active at calling out companies that are advertising with people like Steve Bannon (without realising!)
https://twitter.com/nandoodles?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Snowflake Conservatives embrace woke cancel culture.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1405099365610442755

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

But it could have been so much worse. What would we have done if covid had that dreaded long incubation/high fatality combo? What if we were looking at a third or a quarter of everyone infected just dying, like in the black death? If whole towns were depopulated and it wasn't rare for an entire family to be wiped out? Mass graves all over the shop and the sight of corpses being collected from houses an everyday occurance?

So, uh, India right now....?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the real n-word.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Okay, so they're not Tories, they're Scottish Conservative and Union Members.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

So, uh, India right now....?

India's having an awful time of it right now but that's mostly down to population and population density, and completely inadequate health infrastructure.

It's bad but its not quite what I was describing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the real n-word.

Tories with a hard R

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Too rees

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

https://twitter.com/marktewk/status/1405107051714461697?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I welcome the idea that tory is a grave insult.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i for one am all for making "tory" the new "oval office" of English language swearing. with an added bonus of it not being a Schrödinger's sexist slur and all

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly I welcome the idea that tory is a grave insult.

Maybe they noticed that it used to be applied as a pejorative to Travellers.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/shehabkhan/status/1405113969841430528?s=21

The Cum Dom is really going for Hancock

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Cummings is apparently dropping whatsapp receipts now
https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1405112267729952770?s=20

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It certainly reads like them both

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Actually lmao at 'OK wtf do we do'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If he's talking about WhatsApp messages, doesn't that make them a matter of public interest, same as the labour leaks?

I want Bojos loving WhatsApp archive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Johnson boris.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

should be every internet advert pushed by labour hq from now until the next election

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/cinemashoebox/status/1405119600354803712?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1405060070631690240

Anyone in the market for some cheap pre cut perspex?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

quote:

I can't think of anything other than taking Hancock off and putting Gove on

lol, what could go wrong!!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

I'm imagining Andrew Neil ASMR now :stonk:

just eating a big bowl of sprouts, in his underpants

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Not immediately relevant to anything (other than on-going culture war BS) but it made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/LauraAmalasunta/status/1404885232168341513

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:cocaine:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

crispix posted:

just eating a big bowl of sprouts eggs, in his underpants

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"frosty and Lee etc" has very "ricey, burnsy , cheeks and gibbo" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Is anyone else having a hard time giving a gently caress about all this?

Like, without Actual Consequences - which went extinct six or seven years ago, and no longer exist in the wild - this is all just petty soap opera drama court intrigue bullshit

None of this is gonna make any material difference whatsoever, and I can't even find it particularly funny anymore

Which is not to say I find it serious of course lol