Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Re driving proficiency, I'm literally getting car driving lessons right now (well, 10 minutes ago). I'm on my second lesson.

"don't coast to a junction".
"I wasn't coasting, I had the clutch in and was braking at the same time".
"that counts as coasting".
"it's not coasting, if I am using the brake, I am controlling the car".
"it's coasting as far as the examiner is concerned".
"ok fine, I'll just engine brake and brake, and not clutch to the junction".
"yes".

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Re driving proficiency, I'm literally getting car driving lessons right now (well, 10 minutes ago). I'm on my second lesson.

"yes".

Where is this? My test was 20 years ago but the examiner definitely did not care about coasting while braking before an intersection. Not that licensing is particularly rigorous in the US.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean, yeah, that's not inconsistent. Having the clutch in reduces your stopping power by a lot. From a teaching perspective it makes sense they'd tell you the safest way to drive.

ought ten posted:

Where is this? My test was 20 years ago but the examiner definitely did not care about coasting while braking before an intersection. Not that licensing is particularly rigorous in the US.

Steak's in the UK iirc. Motorcycle instructors here will also tell you not to coast. The technical reason is because it counts as not having full control of the vehicle, the practical reason is because as mentioned it negatively impacts your ability to do an emergency stop.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 16, 2021

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

"yes".

Yeah, clutch in = coasting, whether you are braking or not. The same would apply on a bike as far as I know?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean, yeah, that's not inconsistent. Having the clutch in reduces your stopping power by a lot. From a teaching perspective it makes sense they'd tell you the safest way to drive.

Steak's in the UK iirc. Motorcycle instructors here will also tell you not to coast. The technical reason is because it counts as not having full control of the vehicle, the practical reason is because as mentioned it negatively impacts your ability to do an emergency stop.

Yeah it makes sense. But I never heard about it. I would be interested to see some stopping distance comparisons. For the US, even 20 years ago manuals were getting unusual enough that instructors/examiners might have just stopped thinking about it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carteret posted:

Seriously. Sitting in "drivers training" at Fort Bragg in the early 00's with three 18 yo female soldiers from NYC who had never driven suddenly being behind the wheel of a 5 Ton MTV was harrowing.

TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

:females:, huh?

40oz of fury
Sep 24, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Who comes up with this stuff? Any modern car can easily exceed the tire grip with just the brakes. In fact, what happens in a manual trans car with no ABS when you stand on the brakes without disengaging the clutch? I guess the engine dies and then you let off the brakes but continue sliding because now you've got a stopped engine providing resistance?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I can't wait to just have the car license, buy a shitter and just forget it till I need it a handful of times a year.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nothing meant by it, it was the parlance. They weren't "women" or "girls", they were female soldiers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

I can't wait to just have the car license, buy a shitter and just forget it till I need it a handful of times a year.
You may want to eat more fibre

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well this loving sucks. GSX-R died on me today. I was en route to get my second vaccine dose and it stalled out and wouldn't start again. And the alarm and lights started to behave really strange, lighting up the alarm if I leave it turned on, like there's a short somewhere. I managed to bump start it and got it to a gas station, filled up and tried to bump start again... It fell over on me, which was drat embarrassing, but I got it to turn over. Took it down the highway hoping I could get some juice back into the battery, got it to my folks' place and it still won't start. :(

Just another straw on the camel's back of stressful episodes I didn't need to start this summer. I have to fix the mirrors and now... Whatever this is (hopefully just a dead battery but I fear it's the alternator), before the 26th so I can take my full M license course, or the license expires and it's back to square one. Either way, I have to sell the bike in the middle of July. :'(

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What is the licensing structure that you can have GSX-R but are not fully licensed?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Toe Rag posted:

What is the licensing structure that you can have GSX-R but are not fully licensed?

Ontario has a three-tier licensing system for most vehicles. If you don't complete the third tier and it expires, you have to start from scratch. This happened to me before, about 13 years ago when my second bike got stolen. I'm worried it's about to happen again because I can't get this one fixed in time to take the test.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you're still downtown-ish I can lend a battery tender

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks, I'm in the Beaches right now and I've got a tender. It looks like it's probably the alternator and it might have been toast for a few days now. Hopefully we can get enough of a charge into it that it'll get me to the shop when they open tomorrow.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

40oz of fury posted:

In fact, what happens in a manual trans car with no ABS when you stand on the brakes without disengaging the clutch? I guess the engine dies and then you let off the brakes but continue sliding because now you've got a stopped engine providing resistance?

And then without the engine you don't have power brakes or power steering so hopefully the encounter ended after that one braking event because you are probably less maneuverable without those accessories.

I would think clutch-in is a safer condition all around. Who does come up with this stuff?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Using the engine in cars was a vital thing when they all had pathetic drum brakes and bias ply tyres, it's also a good way to avoid destroying your brakes and dying in a fire when descending kilometers-long downhills, you can't just drag the brakes the whole way down. In normal driving, modern car brakes can drastically outperform the engine braking even in really poo poo cars, so there's no point outside of some particular scenarios. What do they think happens in automatic cars anyway??

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RadioPassive posted:

Who does come up with this stuff?

Serious answer, probably some guy in the '50s who had to wear a tie to work. I think they've only recently updated the training/testing regimen to include stuff like satnav systems, and that's just a bolt on segment.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thank goodness they've binned the reversing around a corner.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Well this loving sucks. GSX-R died on me today. I was en route to get my second vaccine dose and it stalled out and wouldn't start again. And the alarm and lights started to behave really strange, lighting up the alarm if I leave it turned on, like there's a short somewhere. I managed to bump start it and got it to a gas station, filled up and tried to bump start again... It fell over on me, which was drat embarrassing, but I got it to turn over. Took it down the highway hoping I could get some juice back into the battery, got it to my folks' place and it still won't start. :(

Just another straw on the camel's back of stressful episodes I didn't need to start this summer. I have to fix the mirrors and now... Whatever this is (hopefully just a dead battery but I fear it's the alternator), before the 26th so I can take my full M license course, or the license expires and it's back to square one. Either way, I have to sell the bike in the middle of July. :'(

All my electrical woes started when I was on my way for my second dose too. The 5G nanobots are obviously draining any spare current from nearby objects in preparation for the update.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
First track day today! Managed 3 sessions before I came off and I think I've broken my thumb 😕.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That sucks. Do you know what happened?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

"yes".

Your instructor is correct. I always downshift sequentially to 2nd when coming to a stop, minimizing the time the driveline is disconnected. When I learned to drive, the teaching was to downshift and rev-match/engine brake while decelerating so that you are always in gear and the engine is always ready to respond. If you're just rolling along in neutral and have an emergency, the extra second or two required to put the transmission in gear and rev up the engine could be the difference between a near miss and a crash.

It's also lovely to be coasting around with the clutch in and the engine and gearbox not matching what the wheels are doing, because if you hit a pothole and your foot slips off the clutch the car will not like it very much.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Toe Rag posted:

That sucks. Do you know what happened?

Too much throttle on exit of a corner (druids at brands hatch). Fish tailed a bit and ended up low siding. I'm not actually sure what happened to my thumb, I might have landed on it.

It started wet dried out a bit, then got wetter again and I didn't allow for the changing grip.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Better than high siding. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of UK folks since you're forced to be good wet weather riders, but then I quickly get over it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Your instructor is correct. I always downshift sequentially to 2nd when coming to a stop, minimizing the time the driveline is disconnected. When I learned to drive, the teaching was to downshift and rev-match/engine brake while decelerating so that you are always in gear and the engine is always ready to respond. If you're just rolling along in neutral and have an emergency, the extra second or two required to put the transmission in gear and rev up the engine could be the difference between a near miss and a crash.

It's also lovely to be coasting around with the clutch in and the engine and gearbox not matching what the wheels are doing, because if you hit a pothole and your foot slips off the clutch the car will not like it very much.

A good and informative post.

I agree with you and can now understand why I should do it the way the instructor and you are saying.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, and for another more motorcycle-related anecdote, there was a guy in this forum several years ago who blew up his bike's transmission by coasting down a mountain highway with the clutch held in.

See, obviously you don't want to be coasting down a hill at 60 mph in neutral, because then you're one toe-tap away from dumping the bike into first or second at 60 with the engine idling and that's gonna lock up the rear wheel and maybe overrev the engine and be a big problem. So this poster, can't remember his name, decided he would stay in 6th and just hold the clutch instead.

A combination of factors here lead to the problem:

- the transmission runs in an oil bath for lubrication. In nearly all motorcycles this is shared with the engine oil system.
- the oil pump is driven by the engine, and its output pressure depends on the engine speed.
- the clutch is between the crankshaft and the transmission input shaft. So pulling it in disconnects the engine from the transmission, but the transmission stays connected to the rear wheel.

Scenario: the guy coasts down the hill with the clutch held in and the engine idling. Because the transmission is still in 6th gear, it's being driven by the rear wheel as he coasts and all the gears inside are spinning as fast as they would at 60 mph. But the engine is idling, so the oil pump isn't making any pressure, and because the oil pump also lubricates the gearbox, it's getting starved of lubrication. It doesn't take very long in that situation to start running metal on metal and then you're hosed.

(if he had put it in neutral instead it might have saved the transmission, because in many cases that disconnects the sprocket from the rest of the gearing so the only thing spinning full speed is the front sprocket and output shaft. but then you've got the problem that you're starting at 60 miles an hour, and as you shift down to second gear the entire transmission is going to spin up to 60 mph * second gear ratio because the clutch is on the far side. you might not pop the engine but you'll almost certainly overspeed the gearbox in that process. so even if you were a dummy and tried to use neutral, which carries the risk of bumping it into gear, you still might blow the thing up getting there. just don't do it!)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 18, 2021

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Standing on the clutch for long periods puts unnecessary wear on the throw-out bearing too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Why would you coast down a hill anyway? To avoid engine braking? It sounds like more work than just putting in the appropriate gear.

Although when I was first learning I remember the clutch was my happy place when poo poo got too fast or scary (can't recommend enough NOT learning on a D675), but it turns out clutching in for turns is really not a good idea nor does it make them easier. Thankfully I got over that pretty quick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Engine braking has always come in handy coasting down hills for me. The few times I was in too high a gear I was just constantly riding the brake and it was super annoying. Probably for everyone behind me too.

When I first started riding I think I remember doing a bit of coasting and it felt like I was out of control. Horrible feeling when you barely know what you’re doing. Living on top of a hill and having to ride down to go anywhere this is the one thing I got familiar with real quick.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Engine braking is one of the best things about going downhill. Especially on a thumper. Blappityblaplapblip blup blappablapppbbb

ehhhhhh
May 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I can't really imagine going downhill at 60 for any significant distance. Surely any suitably long downhill is going to have many more bends than 60mph will allow. stdh basically.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Would going downhill at 10mph, in first, but the clutch held in and using the front brake for about half an hour have a negative impact on a Harley?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Why would you coast down a hill anyway? To avoid engine braking? It sounds like more work than just putting in the appropriate gear.

A lot of people are freaked out by engine braking, they feel like they're not actually in control because it's happening without them specifically ordering it with a pedal or lever or whatever. It also sounds and feels like you're being gentler on the engine by free-wheeling even if the exact opposite is the case.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ehhhhhh posted:

I can't really imagine going downhill at 60 for any significant distance. Surely any suitably long downhill is going to have many more bends than 60mph will allow. stdh basically.

You only need a barely-perceptible downslope to maintain 60 if you're free-wheeling - could be the rider thought they were being smart and saving fuel that way. I can think of several roads - most of the motorways in and out of London, for a start - that will have 1:40 or 1:50 inclines for a good couple of miles with only mild curves, and I've *definitely* ridden on roads in the US that go for far longer with a notable slope (almost any road in the Rockies, for a start).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Would going downhill at 10mph, in first, but the clutch held in and using the front brake for about half an hour have a negative impact on a Harley?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I have never heard of someone who both had an alarm on their bike and also DIDNT have electrical issues.

Seriously I know of so many cases of alarms causing random and weird electrical gremlins. Since they’re usually tied into the ignition they have a pretty high level of influence on the bikes electrical system and on its ability to run reliably.

God help you if it was installed by a PO and not you or an installer.

I get it if you need to say you have an alarm to keep your insurance premiums down, but outside of that, I’d seriously consider removing the alarm and going back to stock electricals. If someone really wants your bike they’re gonna get it, alarm or no alarm, and in the meantime it’s just gonna cause you grief.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If someone really wants your bike they’re gonna get it, alarm or no alarm, and in the meantime it’s just gonna cause you grief.
I remember seeing a Reddit AMA "I used to be a bike thief" thing that may or may not have been complete bullshit because internet, but it had a lot of crazy stories in it that seemed grounded enough to have truth to them and highlighted how useless most blinky box security widgets you can buy seem to be (fake edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/). Basically the people who know what they're doing will in broad daylight just walk up and ride off on the bike they want to steal, if they decide they want to steal it.

What I got from that was the only really effective deterrent is a big fuckoff chain through the forks and wrapped around something like a concrete pillar. Not very practical carrying 20-30 lbs of chain around with you if you plan on locking it up anywhere other than where you park at your home though. I just carry full coverage insurance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Nope. One of those nice little ways Harleys being lovely and dumb is actually cunning and smart. Gearbox is lubricated by oil being splashed around by the output shaft, which is always doing wheel speed. Clutch is lubed by the primary oil bath and is always spinning at engine rpm. Engine only has to lube itself and being a fully roller bearing bottom end means it gives no fucks about what rpm you're doing or how much oil pressure you have, a slow ooze onto the bearings is more than enough.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have never heard of someone who both had an alarm on their bike and also DIDNT have electrical issues.

Seriously I know of so many cases of alarms causing random and weird electrical gremlins. Since they’re usually tied into the ignition they have a pretty high level of influence on the bikes electrical system and on its ability to run reliably.

God help you if it was installed by a PO and not you or an installer.

I get it if you need to say you have an alarm to keep your insurance premiums down, but outside of that, I’d seriously consider removing the alarm and going back to stock electricals. If someone really wants your bike they’re gonna get it, alarm or no alarm, and in the meantime it’s just gonna cause you grief.

Number of times an alarm prevented a theft: probably zero

Number of times an alarm caused a bike to go to a workshop and cost the owner money: muahahahaha

Alarms are worthless and mostly serve to cause painful electrical problems and unexpected stranding, only physical anti theft measures work when you can steal any bike with two guys and a van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Nope. One of those nice little ways Harleys being lovely and dumb is actually cunning and smart. Gearbox is lubricated by oil being splashed around by the output shaft, which is always doing wheel speed. Clutch is lubed by the primary oil bath and is always spinning at engine rpm. Engine only has to lube itself and being a fully roller bearing bottom end means it gives no fucks about what rpm you're doing or how much oil pressure you have, a slow ooze onto the bearings is more than enough.

Number of times an alarm prevented a theft: probably zero

Number of times an alarm caused a bike to go to a workshop and cost the owner money: muahahahaha

Alarms are worthless and mostly serve to cause painful electrical problems and unexpected stranding, only physical anti theft measures work when you can steal any bike with two guys and a van.

You work out of a van, right? How long does it take you to load up a bike and be moving if you’re in a hurry? I bet one guy who knows what he’s doing could do it pretty quick too. Even with a steering lock. I’ve moved a locked klr around by pivoting it on the kickstand every time it gets too far out of line.