Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my friend to not propose on my birthday trip

quote:

Many of my friends are turning 40 next year, so I asked my closest friend Jenn in the group if she wanted to do a shared birthday and make a big trip out of it. She said yes, yay, and I planned and booked a trip for the group. Researched destinations and flights and accommodations and activities, booked and organized everything, coordinated schedules for 16 people, etc (all with her blessing).

The trip is early next year and I just found out her long term partner is planning to propose on that trip. I asked if he could possibly find another occasion and offered to help plan another trip for the group before or after to celebrate and surprise her with the proposal.

He was PISSED and said I was super selfish for wanting to make the trip “all about me” and I feel terrible. Maybe I am being a big spoiled baby. But I feel like it changed from being an “us” trip celebrating the milestone together to an engagement trip and party. They’ve been together almost a decade so the proposal is a big deal and I am SO happy for them, but I feel kind of taken for granted for all the work I put into planning with no help and now the trip will be all about the engagement and wedding planning. I’m feeling like the butthole and now am super guilty. so internet, AITA?

Edit: thanks all for the judgment so far. I’ll add one detail I didn’t want to bias - the friend group is super tight knit (known eachother for 20+ years) and others in the group will DEFINITELY know about the proposal. If it’s on the last night, the nights leading up to it will be whispers and discussions about it whenever Jenn isn’t around. I’ve seen it with other engagements for the group over the years. It’s unavoidable to not make it the focus if it happens on the trip. I guess I have to accept that I’m an rear end in a top hat if it bothers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

She's absolutely not the rear end in a top hat, imo. If you co-opt somebody else's planned event into your engagement event, you're the rear end in a top hat. Doesn't matter what it is. Wedding, birthday, holiday party, whatever.

Also, lol at "You don't want me to make this trip into my engagement party, you only think about yourself."

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my friend to not propose on my birthday trip

Thanks for planning my engagement vacation, that sure would have been a lot of work if I had cared about my soon to be fiancé enough to do it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Edit: On second thought, here’s a less sad one:

quote:

I always like to carry wet wipes with me in my purse. Problem is that every wipe brand i find has either alcohol (antiseptic), or doesn't clean well enough because it is not moist enough. Due to my busy schedule, i eat on the go a lot, so i need something to temporarily clean my face, without water involved. The mini shop in my neighborhood has brought some pretty nice baby wipes. They come in small package, are perfectly moist and have a wonderful aroma. Not many people buy from that shop as it is not in a central place in the city, so there are lots to go around. I didn't think much of it until the day before yesterday.

I met a friend on my way home from work. We caught up a bit on a park bench. She was eating a sandwich and got a bit messy on her hands and was looking for something to clean them. I offered her a baby wipe. She started berating me, because "I am an adult without a baby, therefore I shouldn't be using baby wipes and deprive them from mothers who may need them for their babies". I know about the "supply and demand" rule, but I can't help but feel guilty about using the wipes now, but i cannot find a good enough alternative. Am i an ahole for buying baby wipes for myself?

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 16, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gently caress is wrong with your friend? Why are they your friend? Why haven't you let the crows take them away to lands of hel?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

This just reminds me how Howard Stern would spend upwards of an hour talking about his making GBS threads regimen, including using baby wipes and a little platform so he could squat over his toilet, to an audience of millions without shame.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ibntumart posted:

It never ceases to amaze me what people consciously choose to get mad about, but gatekeeping baby wipes is a trip.

Don't want to sleep in the same bed my gf had sex with someone else in while we were apart

quote:

Me(26) and my gf(24) broke up because she didn't see a future with me after a long line of poor communication and I had distanced myself from her. She didn't want to give it another go.

After 6 months apart we bumped into each other again and I communicated what went wrong, we are better than ever before but I don't feel comfortable sleeping in the bed she had sex with other people in while we were apart and after she rejected me. Am I being immature? It triggers me to think of what happened in this bed while we were apart and makes me feel and image disturbing scenes. The bed is at her parents house so I can't just ask her to get a new bed.

Tdlr: don't feel comfortable sleeping in the same bed she had sex with other guys in while we were apart. I feel like had this happened before we were ever together or had this been a mutual breakup I wouldn't feel this strongly about it.

Ah yes, clearly the bed is the problem.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

ibntumart posted:

The entire armed forces deployed in OEF/OIF/WTF would disagree with your friend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What about if she gets Dude Wipes, is she depriving dudes of sufficiently masculine cleanliness

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cobalt-60 posted:

The entire armed forces deployed in OEF/OIF/WTF would disagree with your friend.

Not having baby wipes even for a dumbfuck weekend field op is a rookie mistake.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

Also lol at the fact he's barely even bought the present and her friends/her are already thinking of the resale value once they break up. No red flags there buddy.
The red flag went up at "bitcoin"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA dressing my son with the girls clothes his dad's family brought him

He'll probably write some good stories, but don't get him a cat.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Theophany posted:

...had this been a mutual breakup...

the fact op is bringing that up doesn't make me feel great. gf should run.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for insisting that my wife’s friends stay in a hotel?

So am I the only one wondering how a rabbit accidentally gets that close to your junk?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (23F) boyfriend (23M) showed his mom our sex painting and I’m embarrassed.

quote:

His mother (63F) was talking about getting something framed, and he said “oh, I got something framed once, it’s not cheap.” His mom asked what it was, he sent the painting to his mom. Here’s where it gets weird. His mom showed the painting to a random woman in her office. That woman was like, “hmmm, that looks like a sex painting.” So my bf never actually told his mom it was a sex painting, but he sent it to her and she figured it out. Next thing you know, we meet his mom and some of her friends at a bar and they were looking at our painting and discussing it. When I sat down she started asking me all about it and getting all excited, saying I need to show her where I got it so her and her husband can do it. She then wanted me to go sit next to one of her coworkers and tell them about it as well. The whole time I was extremely embarrassed and my bf was trying to get his mother to shut up.

I understand that he didn’t explicitly tell his mom it was a sex painting, but he still sent it to her without making sure it was ok with me first. I feel a little like he betrayed me because this was a private painting that was between us that we have hanging in our bedroom; it wasn’t really intended for all eyes, especially his mother and all her coworkers.

When I ask him why he did it, he said “because she asked to see it and I didn’t think she would show other people.”

Is my being upset and embarrassed warranted, or is it an overreaction? What can we/I do to fix this? Any advice would be appreciated, TYIA.

tl/dr: my boyfriend sent a picture of our sex painting to his mom and she showed her coworkers and discussed it at dinner.

Edit: a sex painting is where you put non-toxic paint on each other’s bodies and have sex on the canvas.

quote:

INFO: tf is a sex painting?

quote:

My bad, a sex painting is where you put non-toxic paint on each other’s bodies and have sex on the canvas.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is it sad that I both immediately knew what it was and thought it was kind of tacky in an outdated kitschy way?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

How does that like, work? You just lay out a canvas, throw some paint, and gently caress on it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

How does that like, work? You just lay out a canvas, throw some paint, and gently caress on it?

Yeah, basically. It results in basically one of two things; really dull canvases where its a butt, spread legs, a back and two legs in between or a messy pile of knee caps, legs and errant hands all over. Its one of those things that mentally sounds really cool but often comes out looking bad and having all the same quality as having to over explain an inside joke that is funny to no one else, but its how the artist hosed.

Usually you streak different paints on yourselves to give more flair but it can result in the canvas quickly looking like someone took a heinous poo poo if done wrong. Someone showed me theres in college and the dudes nutsack painted a blurry brown streak coming from the butt print and it looked like someone trying to give gun girl a run for her poo poo size money.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 16, 2021

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I always thought you put the paint on yourself/each other, then gently caress on a blank canvas

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

whats the proper canvas size for a gently caress painting, does it need to be as big as a mattress or can I just dip my cock into some blue paint and mash it around on a nice portrait

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Tiberius Christ posted:

whats the proper canvas size for a gently caress painting, does it need to be as big as a mattress or can I just dip my cock into some blue paint and mash it around on a nice portrait

You can do whatever you want, miniatures can be very valuable in art.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tiberius Christ posted:

What blows my mind is that these people went and got their mattress-sized canvas professionally framed

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what if paint ends up inside someone

like i dont see how you can possibly avoid that happening if you've been adequately pre-painted but I also refuse to google this

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Bramble posted:

What blows my mind is that these people went and got their mattress-sized canvas professionally framed

No wonder framing wasn’t cheap.

Loki Kunti posted:

:golfclap:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Loki Kunti posted:

lol

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

thotsky posted:

He'll probably write some good stories, but don't get him a cat.

LMAO this is a Good Joke

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
He's not mentally disabled or a predator, he just wants to be friends with a girl half his age!

AITA for defending my brother after he was catfished?

quote:

My brother has never had a girlfriend. He is 28 and lives with my parents on disability. He was born with osteogenesis imperfecta. He is not mentally disabled, but lacks social skills due to his lack of friends. He found a girl on a dating app who's profile said she was 19. After chatting for about a day, she revealed that she was 14, to which he said he would like to stay friends. He did not say anything sexual to her; he said was that he wanted to hug and watch anime.

He went to meet her at a gas station. It turns out this was a sting by a group of "pred hunters". They filmed him, belittling him for the way he looked. There was a large dude twice his size that kept making jokes while the rest of them laughed. They had him in tears.

My brother came home mortified. The teasing went on for 40 minutes. They tried to get him to call our dad, but he refused and ran away. As my brother told me his account of what happened, he made mentioned that the group said that our town was "crawling with sickos" and that they were "going to clean poo poo up this week". This made me want to confront them.

My brother helped me find the fake profile after I made my own account. We matched and I told the decoy I wanted to meet right away. We agreed to meet at a park not far from our house. I went alone. I saw the guys sitting around a pavilion.

I walked up to them. I asked them what they were doing, to which they told me to "mind my business". I told them that I knew what they were doing and that they shouldn't be targeting people with disabilities. The cameras started rolling.

The big guy whipped out a stack of papers; it was from our conversation. He started claiming that I was the predator from the chats, to which I told him that I set this up just to talk to them. He asked why, and I told him that I had a friend (being my brother) that was catfished into meeting them. They said that my "friend" was a sicko, and so was I. They legitimately told me that they hope that my "friend" loses his job and all the support of his loved ones. They lectured me on the trauma the girl would have gone through. Then, they proceeded to make fun of me. I got irate and started screaming. I told them that they were bullies with nothing better to do. My face turned red I started pounding on a picnic table. They kept filming; the big guy said "this will be a nice exclusive for the website". He was laughing.

I keep thinking they were right. My brother isn't mentally disabled. He knew he was meeting with a 14 year old. I really don't want to call him a predator. Those guys were dicks, but they made valid points. They're extremely unprofessional and rude, but I feel like I'm the real dickhead. I tried to defend a potential predator because I'm related to them. I'm just so confused and my heart is racing a million miles a minute because I will lose everything when they post that video of me losing it.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Cowslips Warren posted:

You could do a master's thesis in anthro on this post

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Don’t try to gently caress kids hope that helps!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

He's not mentally disabled or a predator, he just wants to be friends with a girl half his age!

Did the guy want to gently caress the fourteen year old? Maybe. Did he want a friend regardless? Definitely. Is this a great example of why vigilante tactics done by some random fuckin’ guy are bad, rather than the people being accountable in any way? Absolutely.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

the group said that our town was "crawling with sickos" and that they were "going to clean poo poo up this week".

Ah yes, just cleaning up the town with the very normal and totally not warped behaviour of posing as a 14-year old girl online and having inappropriate conversations with weirdos because on some level we actually get off on it. That should solve the sicko problem blighting our picturesque little hick town.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Theophany posted:

Ah yes, just cleaning up the town with the very normal and totally not warped behaviour of posing as a 14-year old girl online and having inappropriate conversations with weirdos because on some level we actually get off on it. That should solve the sicko problem blighting our picturesque little hick town.

Plus nothing they do is actionable in court so they're not even removing predators from the community.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yeah regardless of the intent of the guy (who I am inclined to be sympathetic towards - that's a severe and unpleasant condition he has) anyone who involves themselves with this kind of group is a piece of poo poo just looking for an acceptable target.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Plus nothing they do is actionable in court so they're not even removing predators from the community.

That's actually not true here in the UK, don't know about elsewhere.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 16, 2021

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Atticus_1354 posted:

Locally there is a woman sitting in prison who attempted some vigilante catfishing, but used her daughter and friend as the bait, and went so far as to drive then across state lines for one of her "stings."

None of the predators she was going after went to prison, but she sure did.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I feel like I need to shower having read this. Reminds me of so many people I had the misfortune of working with.

How do I (early 20s F) politely reject someone (40+ M) in this situation?

quote:

Tldr: A man in his 40s(?) whose service I used has asked me out and I want to say no, but I'm not sure how because I am anxious and I don't feel at ease with his money and influence.

Friends of mine (early 20s F) recommended someone who can do legal service for me, as I'm moving states. They warned me he (late 40s?) might be a bit hard to deal with but he does his job really well, so I called him. I let him know that I can't pay immediately, but he could have my request in mind by the time I'm able to pay. He had no problem with that; he even suggested to cover my expenses for me, as he trusted I'm reliable because of the friends that recommended him to me (he only works with a small circle of people).

He did a great and really fast job for me, which I'm extremely grateful for, and he was extra nice to me, which surprised me after my friends' comments.

I sensed from the first time he saw me he felt attraction towards me, but I didn't expect he'd act on it. He knew I'm not too well off, unlike him, and even suggested to just lend (or give) me a hundred or so dollars, which I said no to.

Today I went to his company's office to leave a small treat for him and his colleagues for being so nice and patient with my pay. Him and I had a nice chat for around an hour, about all sorts of things, and he expressed that he appreciates how mature and ambitious I am. At the end of our chat, he invited me to a restaurant next week and said, "Don't forget that I am a man, if you get what I mean". I wasn't sure how to react to that. I originally agreed, because I wasn't sure how to respond, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like I should say no.

He has at least one child that's probably a teenager. I don't know if he's still married, which is also something that bothers me. And his age is above what I feel comfortable with. Another thing is that I felt cautious about how quickly he was ready to lend or give me money. It could be just my anxiety, but I don't feel comfortable or fully safe with men that have influence and money and are so easily ready to give that to random girls.

So my question is, how could I reject him in a nice way, after I originally agreed to go out with him (despite the fact that we didn't really set a date or anything)? I don't want to be too straightforward or say something that could be rude or hurt his ego, because I don't know this man and I'm not sure how he'd react (act afterwards).

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't like people who predate on the young but I also don't like these weird sickos who get their jollies by catfishing and attempting to destroy people's lives. I'm always remind of that guy on TV in the 90's who would go around parking lots and catch people loving in their cars at midnight. He would wait around and watch for a bit and you could hear the almost orgasmic delight in his voice when he would surprise them. A lot of these predator hunters aren't trying to protect kids, they're doing it out some sort of sick pleasure.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This may be all well and true about the creepiness of the predator hunters, but he was still trying to gently caress a 14 year old

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tarkus posted:

I don't like people who predate on the young but I also don't like these weird sickos who get their jollies by catfishing and attempting to destroy people's lives. I'm always remind of that guy on TV in the 90's who would go around parking lots and catch people loving in their cars at midnight. He would wait around and watch for a bit and you could hear the almost orgasmic delight in his voice when he would surprise them. A lot of these predator hunters aren't trying to protect kids, they're doing it out some sort of sick pleasure.

Somewhere between weird power trip fantasy to reverse their dads berating them, and whataboutism to identify a worse predator to make up for their secret attraction to 16 year olds.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This may be all well and true about the creepiness of the predator hunters, but he was still trying to gently caress a 14 year old

And now nothing has been done to prevent that happening in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Different states have different laws regarding those types of stings done by citizens. You'll notice these groups flourish in areas where the law can't do anything with their chat logs and videos, instead they just put everything on YouTube with a terrible intro rap performed by one of their friends. They're often anti-LGBTQ and love to target people that are obviously mentally challenged.