Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I got into Doctor Who from My Little Pony, of all things, so it certainly wasn't taste that got me where I am today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

call the mods, gimmick posting might be against the rules here too

It is, please stop

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Are you old and british? Actually, for any of y'all inexplicably attached to the part of the show from prehistoric times, how did you get into that? I remember my stepdad showing me some old Doctor Who tapes when I was a kid but I reckon I wasn't old and british enough to get hooked by them, actually, for a bit, I thought Doctor Who and The Who and The Wall were somehow related projects.

If you get one episode to try and fail to prove to someone Tom Baker is better than Clara Oswald, which episode do I watch?

You post like a sentient Moffat script

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People like different things

Totally, but I was really asking. Like, I really love Burns and Allen but I didn't grow up with them, dead by the time I discovered em, I heard them referenced in something, looked them up, sampled a few bits, then binged a bunch and it turns out they're both just really loving funny together and their TV shows and radio shows still hold up. Curious if it's something you've grown up with or had on your periphery or just something you dived into after exposure to one of the new Whos or idk, that's why I asked. Unless you were around in the uk at the time of broadcast, kind of something you need to have gone out of your way to see some of.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Unless you were around in the uk at the time of broadcast, kind of something you need to have gone out of your way to see some of.

Not really, it was on PBS for decades.

And recommendations are in the OP so

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Jenna Coleman had much better chemistry with Capaldi than Smith, and Clara was more fun when the story treated her as a companion, not a plot device.

Bill was outstanding. Pearl Mackie brought such a great energy to the part, and Bill being black and gay felt like part of her character in a way that added depth, not the only part of her character. In comparison Tosin Cole got really shortchanged as Ryan, because they never gave him anything to do.

I got into Doctor Who back in the 90s, when it was being repeated on UKTV Gold early Sunday mornings. With BBC 4 becoming an archive only channel, I'm surprised they're not repeating classic serials on there. I know BBC Radio 4 Extra airs a Big Finish serial once in a blue moon.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Speaking of chemistry. I just saw a set photo of Bishop hugging Wittaker, I didn't post it because I don't know if that is considered spoilers. But it just made me realize how much I love the chemistry of Wittaker and companions in social media videos and press junkets that somehow, I feel, didn't transfer onto the screen. It just comes off so.. scripted, I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

York_M_Chan posted:

Speaking of chemistry. I just saw a set photo of Bishop hugging Wittaker, I didn't post it because I don't know if that is considered spoilers. But it just made me realize how much I love the chemistry of Wittaker and companions in social media videos and press junkets that somehow, I feel, didn't transfer onto the screen. It just comes off so.. scripted, I guess.

Put it in the spoilers thread!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hopefully the Doctor/companion balance can be a little tighter with a smaller cast for the next season.

I'm holding out hope to be a bit more optimistic in the next season. I thought Capaldi finally hit his stride towards the end of his run and Hopefully Whitaker's Doctor gets a chance to better shine this year despite how the last season went.

It's hashing old ground at this point but I'd just describe her run as uneven so far. I don't outwardly hate it, but I'm always curious about what comes next.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Today's audio was Bang-Bang-a-Boom! Mixing an affectionate ribbing of Star Trek and the Eurovision Song Contest shouldn't work, but it does, especially when it leans into VERY 80s Who. You can almost hear the puppets and slightly dodgy make-up effects!

Bonnie Langford gives a much better performance than Mel on TV, probably due to them writing Mel much better, as actually perky, rather than having her be annoying most of the time. Langford isn't the most versatile actress sure, but she's fun in most things, and is apparently a very nice person from all accounts. She's gotten a lot of flack over the years - Noel Coward once chewed her out once as a child and she kept going, so she's got resilience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Harlock posted:

Hopefully the Doctor/companion balance can be a little tighter with a smaller cast for the next season.

I'm holding out hope to be a bit more optimistic in the next season. I thought Capaldi finally hit his stride towards the end of his run and Hopefully Whitaker's Doctor gets a chance to better shine this year despite how the last season went.

It's hashing old ground at this point but I'd just describe her run as uneven so far. I don't outwardly hate it, but I'm always curious about what comes next.

I feel like adding the older white male character was a BBC mandate, for fear of having just two female leads?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I actually don't remember a time when I wasn't aware of/watching Doctor Who. I started with Pertwee to the best of my knowledge, but when I first saw some Troughton stuff I found at least one story (The Mind Robber) surprisingly familiar so I may have seen an old repeat of that at some point before my memories became consistent. I loved Pertwee, but when Tom Baker came along it blew my tiny little mind and his stuff was strong enough that it carried me through the nadir of the late JNT years where Colin Baker was getting hosed over from all sides and Sylvster McCoy had his rough start.

The first Hartnell I ever saw was during the 25th anniversary when a repeat of The Dalek Invasion of Earth was aired, and I was blown away by how good it was. I assumed that ALL Hartnell must be that good, and while that didn't turn out to be the case, William Hartnell was always fantastic in the role and well worth watching for his presence alone. Troughton's quality speaks for itself, there's something magical about him and though he wasn't the first actor in the role, none of what followed would have been possible if he hadn't stuck the landing on taking over the role like he did.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started watching Fourth from Pyramids of Mars onwards. There really are no bad Doctors! Much less manic, but still very much The Doctor, and Tomb Baker's version isn't afraid to kick a little rear end. I had to rewind first time I saw him use his scarf to stealth-takedown some dude with a gun, just whips it round him and yanks the dude to the ground. Been a few other instances of him straight up hitting or kicking some jerk with a gun, plus once where he wielded the gun (as a bluff, not to use). Another time programmed a duplicate of himself to bash the big baddie into vials of his own rude virus. Just a lot more physical presence than I'm used to, it's a neat take on the character. A few of NuWho Doctors could've probably gone entire seasons without using their hands if they'd got themselves Sonic Sunglasses earlier. He also engages with the technology around a bit more, a lot less magic wanding any technology with the screwdriver to make it instantly do or tell whatever is needed.

The Android Invasion was cool, at the start of the episode I was like "let me guess... cyberman again" but I was pleasantly surprised - just a planet of androids totally unaffiliated with the cyberjerks. Some nice android switcharoos.

Hand of Fear is another one I'm really enjoying so far, more familiar doctor trying to urge others to use diplomacy and communication to solve problems.

Sarah Jane is also a great companion,, also really cool to see baby jane since I first met her in her NuWho appearances.

Errant observation: Horrifying little screams, ones that really stick out since theyre not normal stock screams and shouts, they do a good job selling the horror in a way the special effects don't alone. It makes sense getting hit by some ancient alien ray makes you scream in an odd way, instead of the same pain scream youd give for normal mundane injury.

edit: lol at the alien who could absorb missiles and nuclear energy but can be felled by scarf-tripping.

edit2: Oh well, there goes Sarah. Reckon I can work backwards since she was around for longer.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 9, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Maybe age 8 or 9, flipping through the channels, I may have caught bits of the very beginning of The Ark in Space, then navigated away. I picked up that channel again as Tom and Ian peek up from behind the table and Tom say "I think we've done it, Harry!" Watched the rest of the 90 minute combined episode, continued the following week with the Sontaran Experiment, and that was it.

In my teens, I'd watch every Saturday evening on the TV in my bedroom while my parents went to sleep (10-11:30 PM, unless the story went longer), and recorded every episode on VHS so I could rewatch. It wasn't until adulthood and the advent of DVDs and an actual income that I started collecting DVDs. I think I'm about four episodes away from owning every episode released on DVD. (drat you, Mind of Evil!)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I started with Day of the Doctor. Had no idea John Hurt wasn't actually a Doctor from the 80s or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's helluva place to start! Then again I think the stream of exciting "?!?!?" questions and reveals of Impossible Astronaut is ultimately what led me to watch through all the nuWho in one go the first round through. Day of the Doctor has even more breadcrumbs to lure you into past adventures.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Narsham posted:

I think I'm about four episodes away from owning every episode released on DVD. (drat you, Mind of Evil!)

It's on the season 8 blu-ray set I just picked up. Because yes I am now going through the process of slowly replacing the DVDs that slowly replaced the commercial VHS tapes that slowly replaced my home recorded vhs copies.... :sweatdrop:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just finished the last boxset of Doom Coalition and really enjoyed the series. I was wondering how they'd make the weeping angels work on audio, but it was surprisingly good (even the rather nonsensical 'angel images become an angel' thing Moffatt added was worked in well). Some excellent character work too, especially with Helen and Liv.

I do find it funny that the entire series is a sequel to a 7th Doctor story that (at the time) didn't exist. I might have to check out the prequel at some point, not heard much about that one.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 12, 2021

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

One of the few scenes that continues to really get to me. Beautiful episode, one of my favourites.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Web of Fear episode 3 will indeed be animated on an upcoming re-release:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=the-web-of-fear-cover-art-special-features-revealed

Can't say I'm a big fan of the animation style though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCSHEI3Nmw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That artwork is gorgeous though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the 3D animation for the simple fact the models stay on-model, even if some of the expressions on the 2D are priceless because they had no idea what the audio was trying to portray

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teek posted:

Web of Fear episode 3 will indeed be animated on an upcoming re-release:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=the-web-of-fear-cover-art-special-features-revealed

Can't say I'm a big fan of the animation style though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCSHEI3Nmw

Oof, wow. Never thought I’d miss the old Frisky Dingo/Archer Season 1 style, but here we are.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

That artwork is gorgeous though.

Imagine if they could animate THAT

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

it looks like an n64 game.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CommonShore posted:

it looks like an n64 game.

https://twitter.com/Stephen_NDBB/status/1404455141093281798

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know what we don't talk about enough, as fans?

How Matt Smith stood toe-to-toe with Tom Baker and for just one brief moment among the rest of the moments they spent together, Matt Smith blew Tom Fucker Baker off the screen.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Web of Fear Effect.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As nice as it is that we have the original audio tracks, I almost wonder if they're holding reconstructions back. You'd probably end up with a better final project if you ditched them altogether and gave a theatre troupe a budget of a thousand pounds and a maximum of three takes per shot. Especially with actors like Hartnell and Troughton who are so physical. Audio performances can be solid, but the audio tracks were never meant to be listened to by themselves or puppeted by a 29 polygon avatar.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's a bit absurd how much acting One and Two did with their faces alone, and you lose all of that in animation

The way they eviscerate some of their enemies with that and their voice rather than beating them black and blue or blowing them up is so good :allears:

And it seems Jodie wasn't allowed to watch Doctor Who before her audition

quote:

“Doctor Who wasn’t something that was on TV in my house when I was growing up, so I thought I’d have to cane it before the first audition and watch every single episode,” Whittaker tells Marie Claire magazine.

“Thankfully, Chris [Chibnall] said, “I don’t want you to. I want you to come in with fresh eyes and bring what you would do in this environment.”

The actress also revealed that not being an “arsehole” on the set of Chibnall’s ITV drama Broadchurch helped land her the part – advice she says all aspiring actresses should heed.

“Broadchurch was a game-changer because I met Chris,” she added. “He wouldn’t necessarily have associated me with the right energy for [Doctor Who] otherwise. It’s a good job I wasn’t an arsehole! That’s the advice I’d give to a young actress; be a good person, have good banter and just appreciate that everyone is working as hard as you. There is no status, so don’t give yourself status you don’t need.”

What the gently caress, Chris

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 15, 2021

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

I can understand not wanting her to familiarize herself with the character before auditioning, as you'd want to see what an actor can do with a blank slate and minimal input. I kinda feel like The Doctor is a role that benefits more from a strong personality than technical acting skills, so you want to see as much of the actor as a person and build the character around them in the writing stages that come later.

I don't know if they had her playing catch up after signing her, like Matt Smith did with Two or Chris Eccleston did with "The Talons of Weng-Chiang", but if they did it feels like they just sat her down in front of the Tennant years and called it a day.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The problem with that approach is that the Doctor is the same character despite the personality being little remixed. The way 13 is written as lacking anger, it's something hard to see her as the same character - 13 needs more moral dilemmas to face. Calpadi was great because it felt like he was bits and pieces of all the Doctor at once. She needs a big "do I have the right to do this for the greater good?" moment.

13 is meant to be the same person as 6 and 7, but the writing isn't pushing Whittaker in that direction. The tabloids and clickbait sites are hitting Whittaker hard over the annual thing. It does feel that if the Internet was around in the 80s, they'd be spamming "Colin Baker FIRED according to source" and "Baker to LEAVE SHOW IN SHOCK axe" too (even before he was actually fired). Whittaker is modern day Colin Baker, sadly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

The problem with that approach is that the Doctor is the same character despite the personality being little remixed.

I don't think this is a hard and fast rule, and I can think of several periods throughout the show's history where it really wasn't the case. e.g. the 80's.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Chibs should have recommended that she watch Trials of a Timelord

OldMemes posted:

The tabloids and clickbait sites are hitting Whittaker hard over the annual thing.

What's this about?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

Chibs should have recommended that she watch Trials of a Timelord

What's this about?

Probably the annual speculation by the British media that whoever's currently playing The Doctor is absolutely totally for reals leaving the role at the end of the current series, and you just won't BELIEVE who's in the running to replace them!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I had to look it up to remind myself that the new season is Season 13.

I swear, BF got more advertising presence via Time Lord Victorious than the new series has had in a year - and TLV was a bunch of random poo poo grafted together in a random "oh gently caress half our releases are delayed!" sort of way.

I really wanted so much more from it. So disappointed.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a bit absurd how much acting One and Two did with their faces alone, and you lose all of that in animation

The way they eviscerate some of their enemies with that and their voice rather than beating them black and blue or blowing them up is so good :allears:

And it seems Jodie wasn't allowed to watch Doctor Who before her audition

Well, that’s certainly the headline on the story, but it isn’t true? Whittaker says she was going to try to binge-watch Doctor Who (just the new series? Or the whole thing?) before her audition and Chibnall said “Please don’t do that,” in a very kind exec producer way that amounts to saying “I know the role and I think you’d do well with it without spending a solid month researching.”

And also “don’t spend a month of your time researching a role you’re just auditioning for at this stage.” If the story were about how he warned her not to watch past episodes after being cast, that might be a story, but this is just kindness.

It’s kind of a silly story anyway. Many of the classic series Doctors weren’t that familiar with the show and it was non-trivial for them to “research the role” like this. And I think most fans prefer Eleven to Twelve even though (or because of the fact that) Smith wasn’t a fan and did limited research while Capaldi was deeply versed in the whole series.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Probably the annual speculation by the British media that whoever's currently playing The Doctor is absolutely totally for reals leaving the role at the end of the current series, and you just won't BELIEVE who's in the running to replace them!!

Googled it and apparently it's that Jodie won't be on the cover of the 2022 Doctor Who Annual. Bit weird not to have the current Doctor on the cover, but naturally the press have gone full "Jodie Whittaker set to QUIT after Doctor Who Annual SNUB!!!!!" about it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

Well, that’s certainly the headline on the story, but it isn’t true? Whittaker says she was going to try to binge-watch Doctor Who (just the new series? Or the whole thing?) before her audition and Chibnall said “Please don’t do that,” in a very kind exec producer way that amounts to saying “I know the role and I think you’d do well with it without spending a solid month researching.”

And also “don’t spend a month of your time researching a role you’re just auditioning for at this stage.” If the story were about how he warned her not to watch past episodes after being cast, that might be a story, but this is just kindness.

It’s kind of a silly story anyway. Many of the classic series Doctors weren’t that familiar with the show and it was non-trivial for them to “research the role” like this. And I think most fans prefer Eleven to Twelve even though (or because of the fact that) Smith wasn’t a fan and did limited research while Capaldi was deeply versed in the whole series.

quote:

“I know the role and I think you’d do well with it without spending a solid month researching.”
Ah, the Rian Johnson approach to storytelling; certainly something worth emulating in TYOL 2021 - and look how well that turned out by turning the future of a series into a dead end so hard they decided to jump far into the past

...hmm...

Which is the same thing The Timeless Children did by saying HEY DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A BUNCH OF DOCTORS WAY BACK IN THE DAY THAT WE'VE NEVER SEEN?

Ah, suddenly it all makes sense, so thanks for bringing that to my attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
rian johnson's star wars: "obsession with the past is stultifying, kill your heroes"

chris chibnall's doctor who: "our protagonist's present and future is less important than this 40-year-old fanwank"

you: these are the same, to me