Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

highme posted:

Never realized buying the cheapest panels at Target would actually be beneficial, but here we are.

this sound amazing

I got a nice 60 or 65 inch TCL from Amazon last year and it's pretty great, except the Youtube app wouldn't launch the other day unless I reset the TV. Just that app though so lol thanks Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Yo, if I don't care about 4k and only even have a 1080p tv right now, have no old Xbox discs, and mainly want gamepass, the series S makes the most sense right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

more games run 60fps on the X but that might not be worth the extra 200

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

more games run 60fps on the X but that might not be worth the extra 200

Yeah I mean... That's a chunk of change. I wish I could look into the future and see what elden ring and the space rpg thing are gonna play like.

Edit: 20 minutes before open and there is no line. Lol. Welcome to Appalachia.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 16, 2021

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

External Organs posted:

Yo, if I don't care about 4k and only even have a 1080p tv right now, have no old Xbox discs, and mainly want gamepass, the series S makes the most sense right?

That use case scenario is exactly what the Series S is designed for, I think you'll be happy with your purchase. What games are you going to download first?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/ninjatheory/status/1405179720317157376?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox loves these interview segments with b roll from over the shoulder while the devs are working on their computers
Hope they show some gameplay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

You are describing the series s use case.

Don't overlook these consoles are also pretty spiffy emulator devices too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPT4MTOvS4

Looks great

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-metro-exodus-enhanced-edition-on-xbox-series-consoles

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Xbox is xgot

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Xbox is xgot

Welcome to the clicky club. Congrats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought Exodus at launch but didn't really play it. May want to finally give it a try to see the new graphics updates.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

You are describing the series s use case.

Don't overlook these consoles are also pretty spiffy emulator devices too

Rad! That's what I ended up with.

Gin posted:

That use case scenario is exactly what the Series S is designed for, I think you'll be happy with your purchase. What games are you going to download first?

This may be lame but I'm probably not gonna open it until Christmas. E3 got me pumped for a bunch of stuff, Forza(thanks goons), Death's Door, Elden Ring, Halo, Psychonauts 2, but my current tv room isn't set up yet and I have a million switch things to play. I'm just assuming that they'll be harder to find during the holidays, so I snagged one today.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This sums it up for me:

quote:

If you'd asked me two years ago if we would be seeing a console game running at 60fps and built on an ambitious real-time RT GI solution, I would have scarcely believed it possible - and yet here it is.

This is just so cool, and it's especially exciting to see it this early in the generation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

This may be lame but I'm probably not gonna open it until Christmas. E3 got me pumped for a bunch of stuff, Forza(thanks goons), Death's Door, Elden Ring, Halo, Psychonauts 2, but my current tv room isn't set up yet and I have a million switch things to play. I'm just assuming that they'll be harder to find during the holidays, so I snagged one today.

Its june, just open it up and enjoy it. Crack open Streets of Rage 4, Doom 5 and all sorts of other solid classics (hell the rare collection is on there too and both Ori games). Theres so much stuff and no sense waiting.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its june, just open it up and enjoy it. Crack open Streets of Rage 4, Doom 5 and all sorts of other solid classics (hell the rare collection is on there too and both Ori games). Theres so much stuff and no sense waiting.

Aw poo poo, I forgot about the Ori games...and I heard Doom was cool...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

External Organs posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

External Organs posted:

Pathetic.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
Hundreds and hundreds of games for free.*

The most surprising thing to me was my emotional shift from the paradigm that 'I have spent money on this game, now I must play unless it's godawful' to a rapidly decaying sense of guilt now that I know I will never catch up to my backlog, that I am happy to pay $15 a month for infinite selection.
I get to enjoy new releases again without having to worry about my work schedule and if I will get my money's worth out of a brand new game. I play what I want to, when I want to. It's great.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

The Series X|S Metro Exodus upgrade has been benchmarked by DF.

edit - Turns out watching a 20+ minute video means you post late

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 16, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

This was me trying to watch the Nintendo Direct yesterday (and observing the Nintendo thread at the same time)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

Please don't be a moron open it up drink deep from the waters of GamePass

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

External Organs posted:

I'm sure you're a cool guy and all but I have never heard of such a strange thing in my entire existence.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Except the very bad remote. Luckily the new remote looks less bad.

It's better but still flawed.

It still has the "touchpad" component to it. You can disable it outright, except then you don't have a good way of fast forwarding or rewind to any significant degree. It's possibly I'm missing something, though.

Mr. Neutron posted:

I will never understand how it happened that Bayonetta was developed for the 360.

Imagine a hat. Now, imagine that hat is made out of money.

Seriously though that was a very odd time for Japanese devs, since that also extended to PC and resulted in terrible GFWL versions of games. Was especially fun with Dark Souls, which was locked to 1024x600 at 30fps and pretty much expected you to use an Xbox controller to play it.

Bayonetta was also fun because it also got a PS3 port that had severe performance issues and less than half the framerate but despite that sold several times more copies than the 360 version did because, again, there's minimal Xbox audience outside of the US.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHMfjBtDnk

Now PS5 owners can experience this awful game!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

God that game was a boring slog, I couldn't get past the first quarter my eyeballs were melting because of eXtreme boredom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I still can’t for the life of me figure out why they used those awful low-res ray traced reflections on the mirrors in a fixed angle shot instead of screen space.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

FallenGod posted:

The Series X|S Metro Exodus upgrade has been benchmarked by DF.

edit - Turns out watching a 20+ minute video means you post late

It's a very impressive update. Good on them for sticking to 60 FPS, though I'm surprised they didn't toss in a 30fps graphics mode.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mines not even an ad just an image for "Stan" a local streaming app

This is gross though. Thankfully I don't think my two year old tv gets more updates so it won't do this I guess.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

It still has the "touchpad" component to it. You can disable it outright, except then you don't have a good way of fast forwarding or rewind to any significant degree. It's possibly I'm missing something, though.
You're not, it's dumb, it's impossible to not catch that touch but when using the clicky bits. I tried to keep it on but my son (rightly) called it out as a piece of poo poo.

Now we're back to clicking fast forward progressively and guessing at where the upper bounds of the multiplier is before it wraps around to 2x. Good times.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHMfjBtDnk

Now PS5 owners can experience this awful game!

I thought it was ok as a short 8 hour Game Pass game. Definitely not as good as some of Bloober's other walking sims.

I hate to think what they'll be charging Playstation players for it. :laugh:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Laserface posted:

Mines not even an ad just an image for "Stan" a local streaming app

This is gross though. Thankfully I don't think my two year old tv gets more updates so it won't do this I guess.

My LG OLED is a few years old and I don’t really notice any ads but I also never spend any time in menus since it’s always showing input from a game system or shield TV.

That said, there really is no safe retreat from the encroaching scourge of ads taking over your TV because every manufacturer is doing it and it’s only going to get worse.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Can't you just not connect the TV to the internet or refuse the terms of service?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can, which is what most people recommend (and actually started this whole tangent when someone asked why you would use a 3rd party streaming device instead of the apps built into your smart tv).

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
cant wait to play halo infinite on windows 11 with my microsoft intellimouse ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer Wilds and MonHun leaving GP soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Outer Wilds and MonHun leaving GP soon

I enjoyed Battle Chasers : Nightwar a lot, I recommend it. I usually don't like turn-based combat but this one was fun.