Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I'm going to do a LP of Biomutant. I did a little test run video (roughly 15 minutes or so). When I do things, I want to do them well. I would appreciate any feedback. I have already been told not to do facecam, so I will nix that going forward.

Volume's lowish in general.

You talk over the game, and it drowns you out when you do. Also when you shoot. Better to let it speak for itself, and lower the sfx volume if you can, otherwise maybe lower game volume when you're speaking. (There are ways to do it automatically but you'll have to ask someone who vlps for details.)

I think you spend more time talking about the class you're not playing than the one you actually are, and what's going on in general. Obviously a decent op will help with the info but... it is also a vlp. A bit more info would help.

...and you're also kind of noticeably tired and don't sound very enthusiastic. Basically it feels more "lazy stream for the people you hang with on discord" than "let's play". (Obviously don't force some obnoxious whazzzupp gaemrrsz!!! crap instead, but you're not selling me on this being a good game you're eager to play.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Definitely play around a bit with the volumes! The sfx (IE: the chirping at the start of the video) are very loud, but the ingame voice describing the choices is at a good level. As per the above suggestion, you may want to either wait for a lull in action to describe things, or you may want to add some form of automated game sound dampening when your mic is in use.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 9, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

vilkacis posted:

Great feedback post

Thank you so much (as well you too TIG). I hadn't considered the game audio drowning me out so I will get that fixed. Its also funny you mentioned me being tired. I was wide eyed and bushy tailed and then the second I hit record I felt tired as hell. It was so annoying. But thank you for pointing that out too. I want this to be fun for people to watch and I love this game and want to share it where I can

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tno9PFn9x_g

Here is attempt #2 I setup auto ducking on OBS and turned game volume down a bit and got rid of face cam. The only thing I think is weird is that it sounds like there is an echo on the sound and I can't figure out what is causing that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So if you've seen the announcement, you'll know that a large amount of Waffleimages uploads from 2006-11 are back on SA.

This is pretty loving huge.

Any threads from before 2011 that we really need to archive? I know that gyroball's three Baseball Mogul LPs (1, 2, 3) were presumed to have been lost to time, but by the looks of things, a lot of the images in them are back up. Anything else that comes to mind?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm glad I can read the groverhaus thread finally!

But of course there's also some more ancient LPs. If anyone knows any good ones hit me up.

E: There's also the recommendation thread of course, that seems even better.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Couple of screencaps from ATOM RPG.

Steam screencap:

Irfanview, which is much larger for some reason:

Do they look fine as-is (in which case I may want to keep using steam screncaps)? Should I convert them, and if so, using what irfanview settings?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Steam screencap:

Do they look fine as-is (in which case I may want to keep using steam screncaps)? Should I convert them, and if so, using what irfanview settings?

I can't tell the difference between the two, quality-wise. So stick with Steam screencaps, especially if they're all going to be .jpgs. A whole update's worth of .pngs is gonna be a bitch to load even on modern internet speeds with their larger file quality. If you are going to use Irfranview though, you should look at batch converting all the screenshots to a slightly slower resolution so they can be loaded without having to [timg] everything. Under 1000px wide is a good start, as the hard limit for screenshots on the LP Archive is only 900px wide.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Xander77 posted:

Steam screencap:

The Steam screencaps are smaller because they're saved with a lower JPG quality setting and thus higher compression. You can tell by looking at the HP number - the distinctive JPG artifacting can be easily seen around the text in the Steam screenshot, but is much less visible in the Irfanview screenshot.

That mostly matters when there's significant contiguous blocks of a single color, though - that's why it's only really visible around text, and why it's easiest to see against the uniform gray background around the HP and DG numbers. The rest of the screencap is colorful enough that no one will really be able to tell the difference. Unless it's a text-heavy game, the Steam screenshots are probably good enough.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm assuming that the second screenshot showing '3A' instead of 'HP' and 'YK' instead of 'DG' is that you forgot to change a language setting in the game itself when reloading and not actually related to your screenshot technology.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I can tell the difference even after reading Vizuyos's post calling out where to look.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

Beyond that, I'm not sure I can tell the difference even after reading Vizuyos's post calling out where to look.

Just look at this shameful poo poo. Those pixels, man.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ok. How does this look (post conversion):

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Speaking of screenshots, is there any current consensus on what image dimensions are Good and Cool for the average reader?

I know the LPArchive still has a 900px limit (right?), but I've found that a lot of games nowadays are simply not designed for low enough resolutions that it's doable without a lot of annoying cropping work.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cropping is probably the best solution if you only need specific segments of the screen. For my Disco Elysium LP I used a Photoshop routine to automatically crop every single image to the portion of the screen that was centered on where the dialogue box pops out and then manually sorted out and cropped any others.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Covski posted:

Speaking of screenshots, is there any current consensus on what image dimensions are Good and Cool for the average reader?

I know the LPArchive still has a 900px limit (right?), but I've found that a lot of games nowadays are simply not designed for low enough resolutions that it's doable without a lot of annoying cropping work.

It depends on the game, I've done mostly rpg maker games so I do 640 x 480 images for those for the best quality and readability.

When I did wandersong, a 1080p game, I resized everything to 800 x 450 and never had complaints about readability or quality. Gif size... may have changed depending on how close they were to the 2 gig limit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It really depends on the game. Ideally scaling the entire game area down will work (this is important when designing switch games to still be readable in tablet mode), but there's a lot of dubious game design out there.

In practice, I try to go between 600 px wide to 800 px wide, unless the game is naturally smaller.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
On the other end of this topic, I've been thinking about doing a let's play for the Eye of the Beholder series. Using the DosBox screenshot function puts out a native resolution of 320x200. Would this need to be expanded at all? Here's a shot with in-game text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yes, I'd just double it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alpha3KV posted:

On the other end of this topic, I've been thinking about doing a let's play for the Eye of the Beholder series. Using the DosBox screenshot function puts out a native resolution of 320x200. Would this need to be expanded at all? Here's a shot with in-game text.

Integer resizing this using nearest neighbor to 640x400 would make it a lot more readable and shouldn't really cost you anything when it comes to file size.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

TheMcD posted:

Integer resizing this using nearest neighbor to 640x400 would make it a lot more readable and shouldn't really cost you anything when it comes to file size.

It would be better to resize it to 640x480 as that would correspond with how the game is intended to be seen. The resolution 320x200 has rectangular pixels because it was meant to be seen on a 4:3 aspect ratio CRT screen. However, modern screens have square pixels, so what would have been be seen as a 4:3 aspect ratio is now seen as 16:9 aspect ratio.

Here is the doubled image:

And here is the properly rescaled image into 4:3 aspect ratio:

You can easily see that the compass is perfectly circular on the second image, as it was meant to be and everything else (e.g the portraits) looks more natural this way.

The best way to achieve this is to do a nearest neighbour resize to 640x400 first and then a normal resample into 640x480. This way at least theoretically, the amount of blur should be minimised.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got an email from YouTube I thought I should mention, if you've got unlisted videos that were uploaded before January 1st, 2017, YouTube is going to make them all private unless you opt out. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who does SSLPs who uploads any incidental videos as unlisted, so just warning people.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'd love to know why they can't just... change existing Unlisted videos to Shiny New Unlisted.

Anyway I went to do the opt-out and their form said that my channel didn't have any Unlisted videos, which is false. But it let me send the form anyway? Who knows how this will work out. I'm sure it won't be infuriating and will all seem sensible and pragmatic later like everything else Google do.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Thanks for the heads up. I never got any email about this and I know I have at least a few unlisted videos.

I'll probably just make mine public and save the slight hassle of trying to opt out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Fedule posted:

I'd love to know why they can't just... change existing Unlisted videos to Shiny New Unlisted.

If I understand the email correctly, it seems that they are implying that the way they generated the video ids was not "secure" enough before 2017 (so it would have been possible somehow to "guess" them?), so I assume making them "shiny new unlisted" would also require them to get the new id or something like that. That's at least what it seems to me based on how it's phrased in the email but it's Google, so who the gently caress knows what they are doing at any given moment.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a keyword of phrase to describe a Let's Play where the player:

1. Provides informative commentary about the game, mechanics, production history, lore, etc.
2. Plays the game effectively, like, they know the game so they won't spend 20 minutes of a video just circling back and forth between two rooms trying to solve a puzzle.

???

I'm thinking something like ThreeDoggs great Metal Gear Solid runs.

Searching youtube yields blind runs with goofy commentary or effective play with no commentary.

Specifically, I'm trying to find something for Resident Evil 7.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

1. Provides informative commentary about the game, mechanics, production history, lore, etc.
2. Plays the game effectively, like, they know the game so they won't spend 20 minutes of a video just circling back and forth between two rooms trying to solve a puzzle.

???

Searching youtube yields blind runs with goofy commentary or effective play with no commentary.

Not to sound glib or anything, but that's usually just called "a good LP". Usually on SA you don't have to go looking for stuff like that because the assumed level of quality is that the person LPing the game unless otherwise stated should know it pretty well and/or be competent at it enough that they feel comfortable showing it off to an audience.

Finding something like that out in the wild on YouTube is more of a crap shoot sometimes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

ivantod posted:

If I understand the email correctly, it seems that they are implying that the way they generated the video ids was not "secure" enough before 2017 (so it would have been possible somehow to "guess" them?), so I assume making them "shiny new unlisted" would also require them to get the new id or something like that. That's at least what it seems to me based on how it's phrased in the email but it's Google, so who the gently caress knows what they are doing at any given moment.

This actually makes sense. I found a website that links off to unlisted videos:

https://unlistedvideos.com/

You can request that they take down your videos and they don't list videos with children in them, but any patrean exclusive poo poo is all here. While I like it I hope Youtube is able to fix this because it's also kind of bullshit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Not to sound glib or anything, but that's usually just called "a good LP". Usually on SA you don't have to go looking for stuff like that because the assumed level of quality is that the person LPing the game unless otherwise stated should know it pretty well and/or be competent at it enough that they feel comfortable showing it off to an audience.

Finding something like that out in the wild on YouTube is more of a crap shoot sometimes.

Blind LPs can be good too, as long as they do proper editing. Looks like OP is looking for non-blind LPs specifically. I don't know a more specific keyword for that.

For the informative commentary, it's easy, just go to the lp archive and look for LPs with the "informative" tag.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

???

Walkthroughs come to mind, but like most things, Youtubers more or less use it as a catch-all term for 'here's some unedited footage of me playing a game' nowadays.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

???

On the Archive this is typically tagged as "Informative"

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
"Completionist" may also give you what you're looking for on the archive. If someone is going to 100% a game, they're probably not going to waffle.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
My hometown of South Bend has installed an Esports arena in the downtown convention center.

They're hosting their first CoD tournament right now, in-person play only, and I kinda wanted to mention it here in case anyone in the Chicago region is looking for places to play. There's gunna be lets plays an' whatnot, mostly hosted by https://twitch.tv/telemokos it seems.

Here's their website: https://bendixarena.com/

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

ivantod posted:

It would be better to resize it to 640x480 as that would correspond with how the game is intended to be seen. The resolution 320x200 has rectangular pixels because it was meant to be seen on a 4:3 aspect ratio CRT screen. However, modern screens have square pixels, so what would have been be seen as a 4:3 aspect ratio is now seen as 16:9 aspect ratio.

Here is the doubled image:

And here is the properly rescaled image into 4:3 aspect ratio:

You can easily see that the compass is perfectly circular on the second image, as it was meant to be and everything else (e.g the portraits) looks more natural this way.

The best way to achieve this is to do a nearest neighbour resize to 640x400 first and then a normal resample into 640x480. This way at least theoretically, the amount of blur should be minimised.

The 4:3 looks really good, I think it's workable.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
After two weeks, I've done some preliminary work:
OP
EOB1 intro
The 4:3 edit makes the crystal balls look great. I'm kind of waffling on making my own characters or allow some thread participation for that. With my intended NPC gimmick and wanting a specific party composition beforehand, I'm leaning toward the former. Should there be more to the OP?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

After two weeks, I've done some preliminary work:
OP
EOB1 intro
The 4:3 edit makes the crystal balls look great. I'm kind of waffling on making my own characters or allow some thread participation for that. With my intended NPC gimmick and wanting a specific party composition beforehand, I'm leaning toward the former. Should there be more to the OP?

Op looks fine, it has the essentials and no one reads ops anyway :v:

I always recommend a blank line between images and text (unless you have a reason to do otherwise) - i just think it looks nicer and easier to read.

As for the initial characters, if they are just there to be stat blocks, there's no harm in letting goons pick their names and portraits (if so, you should provide images of the options!). Doing so will probably result in a little more activity in (and more eyes on) your thread. But if you're going to do some kind of narrative, you should definitely use your own units.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I did some test pages for an Arknights LP, mostly to test myself to see how willing to put in the work I'd be, but I'd also like some feedback:
OP
Prologue
Mission 0-1

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

I did some test pages for an Arknights LP, mostly to test myself to see how willing to put in the work I'd be, but I'd also like some feedback:
OP
Prologue
Mission 0-1

Oh nice, I was considering doing this after abandoning my GFL LP but I'm glad that someone else is picking up the torch on gacha LPs. Generally I think it's a fine start, but couple of notes, mostly about AK itself rather than anything you've written:

- Hypergryph (and Yostar for that matter) are HQed in Shanghai. Yostar Hong Kong does run the EN servers though, which may be where the confusion comes from.
- Doctor in CN is 博士, which means Doctor (PhD) rather than Doctor (MD).
- Evil Time would probably be better translated as Time of Evil, but stuff like chapter names, event names and Operator names are determined by the writers at HG, who sometimes have a very... interesting relationship with English.
- Minor note but might want to just quickly say what DP means (Deployment Points I believe?)

Good luck, I'd like to see others to see the story, even if the early few chapters/events have a bit of a sketchy TL. I do know some of the people who currently do the TLs and took over sometime after launch (around chapter 6 or so?), so if you have anything you want to ask I might be able to pull some strings. Also I generally enjoy your analysis of the story even if I don't always agree so I'm looking forward to that too.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Images are pretty heavy - go with jpg for things like this.

You have a lot of repeated faces. It's better to gather most lines into bigger paragraphs. Compare

quote:

Understood. I'll follow your command.
All squads, listen up.
We have the element of surprise - these Reunion members don't know that we're here yet.
Remember, be decisive! Take them out, cleanly and swiftly.
Doctor, gather your team. It's time for you to prove yourself.
We have no more time to second-guess ourselves.

vs

quote:

... Understood. I'll follow your command.
All squads, listen up. We have the element of surprise - these Reunion members don't know that we're here yet. Remember, be decisive! Take them out, cleanly and swiftly.
Doctor, gather your team. It's time for you to prove yourself. We have no more time to second-guess ourselves.

Personally i like to use a blank image to indent the text instead of repeating the mug, like so:

quote:

... Understood. I'll follow your command.
All squads, listen up. We have the element of surprise - these Reunion members don't know that we're here yet. Remember, be decisive! Take them out, cleanly and swiftly.
Doctor, gather your team. It's time for you to prove yourself. We have no more time to second-guess ourselves.

Also since the portraits don't seem to have varied expressions that need to be made out, you could definitely stand to make them smaller. Portraits aren't supposed to show every detail of a character, just identify them.

Even just half the current size would be adequate for that, but maybe like 75px is a good compromise.

Some of the text on images is a bit hard to read, like here. Is this native resolution? You can go up to 900px wide without running into issues with archival, and that might be a good idea if you can manage it. (But don't upscale images if they don't come in higher resolutions, it never looks good.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

vilkacis posted:

Images are pretty heavy - go with jpg for things like this.

You have a lot of repeated faces. It's better to gather most lines into bigger paragraphs. Compare

vs

Personally i like to use a blank image to indent the text instead of repeating the mug, like so:

Makes sense. I was just using a transcript and auto-inserting the faces.

quote:

Also since the portraits don't seem to have varied expressions that need to be made out, you could definitely stand to make them smaller. Portraits aren't supposed to show every detail of a character, just identify them.

Even just half the current size would be adequate for that, but maybe like 75px is a good compromise.

Gotcha. That said, there will eventually be a lot of characters who might be hard to tell apart from just their mug shots. This is a gacha game, after all. I'll try experimenting with different sizes.

quote:

Some of the text on images is a bit hard to read, like here. Is this native resolution? You can go up to 900px wide without running into issues with archival, and that might be a good idea if you can manage it. (But don't upscale images if they don't come in higher resolutions, it never looks good.)

The images are 1600 x 900 when I save them from the emulator, I don't know if that's the native game resolution. I shrunk them in half so they could fit, but I guess 900px is better size to shoot for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once you get around to the bits of the game where they get better about putting in multiple facial expressions, have you got a handy system to do that on the LP end or will you just be ignoring it?