Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

like look at their “media criticism thread” that has absolutely zero discussion or mention of anything resembling source criticism. instead you have this garbage from a dipshit that couldn’t pass the bar

Lol holy gently caress russiagate is the gift that keeps on giving. Libs just can't help but love fascist ideals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Obviously it was the Russians that planted the vial of washing powder to Powell

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Break the “Pentagon Papers Principle:”

this fuckin rocks

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

like look at their “media criticism thread” that has absolutely zero discussion or mention of anything resembling source criticism. instead you have this garbage from a dipshit that couldn’t pass the bar

Would have been bad if there was a foreign adversary in Elsberg's time, wouldn't it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's one-for-one the same scam Twitter tried to run on the Grayzone by tagging any links to their article as "These materials may have been obtained through hacking".

The article in question was an expose on how the UK government was sponsoring attempts by the BBC and Reuters to broadcast regime-change propaganda against Russia.

This would result in some amusing uses of the tag:

https://twitter.com/genius_posting/status/1364727802969350144

The basic idea is that they cannot dispute the findings, so they attack the messenger: you're supposed to learn to doubt or disregard the claims made not because they aren't true, but because the person saying it is supposedly saying it with a direct political agenda.

This is, of course, bullshit: of course the Grayzone wants to uncover that the UK is involved in regime change operations, and of course they want to uncover that the BBC and Reuters are not "unbiased" or "neutral" media organizations. For people to be aware of that is a good thing! You don't just get to throw out the message just because the implications make your world-view uncomfortable!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that's amazing

thankfully social media now marks important news with an exclamation point like so
https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1364288369451294720

lmfao

e;fb

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Truga posted:

i linked the wapo piece saying "it's not genocide" when someone said genocide deniers are literally worse than hitler in d&d and got a 6h probe for it lol

I got a 24h probe for saying that Ukrainian nazi Belarus grabbed was a nazi

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

imagine if nixon had come up with the idea of saying the pentagon papers or watergate were nothingburgers because reading them was just what the russians wanted

the only explanation i can come up with for why politicians didnt just do that all the time during the cold war was because they had a sense of shame however meager

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's one-for-one the same scam Twitter tried to run on the Grayzone by tagging any links to their article as "These materials may have been obtained through hacking".

The article in question was an expose on how the UK government was sponsoring attempts by the BBC and Reuters to broadcast regime-change propaganda against Russia.

This would result in some amusing uses of the tag:

https://twitter.com/genius_posting/status/1364727802969350144

The basic idea is that they cannot dispute the findings, so they attack the messenger: you're supposed to learn to doubt or disregard the claims made not because they aren't true, but because the person saying it is supposedly saying it with a direct political agenda.

This is, of course, bullshit: of course the Grayzone wants to uncover that the UK is involved in regime change operations, and of course they want to uncover that the BBC and Reuters are not "unbiased" or "neutral" media organizations. For people to be aware of that is a good thing! You don't just get to throw out the message just because the implications make your world-view uncomfortable!

and guess what happens when you try to apply the same standard back at them. try explicitly rejecting every major news source that pushed the iraq war without clicking any of the articles, lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

imagine if nixon had come up with the idea of saying the pentagon papers or watergate were nothingburgers because reading them was just what the russians wanted

the only explanation i can come up with for why politicians didnt just do that all the time during the cold war was because they had a sense of shame however meager

the reason why the establishment went along with the Pentagon Papers was because it made the Pentagon look bad.

Snowden's own expose made the NSA look bad.

Chelsea Manning's leaked documents made the US Army look bad.

Even the Iran-Contra investigations only went as far as the specific deals for the arms to Iran, in exchange for money to go to the Contras. Did Congress ever look into who the Contras were and how they got there? Of course not.

Who isn't getting harmful leaks dumped out into the open? the CIA

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

quote:

journalists have generally operated under a single rule: Once information is authenticated, if it is newsworthy, publish it.

imagine being so removed from reality that you sincerely believe this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
by the standards set forth in in the d&d media literacy thread one would have to denounce the Katyn massacre as nazi propaganda

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

GoLambo posted:

so is everywhere on this forum outside of C-SPAM running with the genocide consensus? Like even after all this obvious stuff has come out to deconstruct the basic zenz birthrate poo poo as being extremely suspect or just outright bad math? I thought these nerds loved to talk about data and stuff, but I guess enough guardian pieces have been written that it seems to basically be canon now.

I have noticed Xinjiang news on r/worldnews getting slightly more questions and criticism on the Zenz. However I do not know if netizens are getting more educated or there are just more Chinese getting online.

I am old and have been banned many times over in sites older than reddit, so I don't have the energy to reply (reddit also have extremely bad UI for discussion). But good for people who are fighting the good fight.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

holy lmao they actually went there
don't whistleblow our poor downtrodden state department
that guy is so loving stupid lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my guess is the new census is making it much harder to ignore the fact that measuring the birthrate drop between 2017 and 2019 was an obvious cherry pick

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

media literacy thread

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

democracy dies in darkness

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thatfatkid posted:

We're the genocide denying forum because apparently only "tankie" are able to put geopolitics into context and actually dig into the so-called evidence of genocide.

look it's simple, the Chinese government is making up entire towns worth of people and jailing anyone who goes 'wait what no that's fake', and have hidden mass graves that are unable to be seen from the massive international web of surveillance aircraft that pass over the area daily, and from the many people who can just freely come and go in the area too. We know they're doing this because of reports from a group prominently featuring a man who wants to 'Christianize China' that mainly use reports from Kazaks, a group not being claimed to be genocided in the region, and literal drawings of 'wouldn't it be bad if they were doing this???' because nobody can provide actual pictures or the like.

And, if you don't believe this you're a conspiracy theorist who's too stupid to acknowledge what's so clear we don't even need solid proof for.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

sexpig by night posted:

look it's simple, the Chinese government is making up entire towns worth of people and jailing anyone who goes 'wait what no that's fake', and have hidden mass graves that are unable to be seen from the massive international web of surveillance aircraft that pass over the area daily, and from the many people who can just freely come and go in the area too. We know they're doing this because of reports from a group prominently featuring a man who wants to 'Christianize China' that mainly use reports from Kazaks, a group not being claimed to be genocided in the region, and literal drawings of 'wouldn't it be bad if they were doing this???' because nobody can provide actual pictures or the like.

And, if you don't believe this you're a conspiracy theorist who's too stupid to acknowledge what's so clear we don't even need solid proof for.

My favorite James Bond plot is and probably will be the Uyghur version of Nayirah making an international phone call and finding Xi's top secret plan for invading Europe in prison and somehow able to escape the entire region unscathed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Ten years ago liberals bigged themselves up on being "reality" or "truth based" in opposition to conservative ideology, but now reality is inconvenient for their own meager political agenda that can only advance interests on the margins at best - therefore truth is now a subjective instrument with political weight and you can deny it so long as it serves "progress." They're all so transparently cynical and only for the most pathetic reasons. It's loving infuriating. None of what they're doing this for is even worth it.

GoLambo posted:

so is everywhere on this forum outside of C-SPAM running with the genocide consensus? Like even after all this obvious stuff has come out to deconstruct the basic zenz birthrate poo poo as being extremely suspect or just outright bad math? I thought these nerds loved to talk about data and stuff, but I guess enough guardian pieces have been written that it seems to basically be canon now.

There are still plenty of posters in C-SPAM who absent mindedly accept the genocide consensus. You shouldn't mistake this thread for some kind of totalizing CSPAM viewpoint.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
idk why China would fudge census numbers when they’re pretty open about the carceral repressive poo poo they’re doing in Xinjiang

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cookie Cutter posted:

Yep, and I'm the one who gets accused of being brainwashed! I've even offered to share my sources with people I've disagreed with and the reply has come back "I don't want to read anything you read because I'm worried it might be propaganda." That is a verbatim quote from a conversation with a friend of mine, as if it's like magic and reading an article instantly transforms you into a Red Guard.

lib brained people have been taught by our barbarian 17th century metaphysics we call science that reality is not objective but subjectively based on our experiences

we do not subjectively interpret the objective world but the world is nothing but an abstraction of a consensus reality

so the lib brained barbarian believes that the most important abstraction, words, will change reality. words referencing other words referencing other words. But never reality itself

my god, what if you reference the wrong words? reality shifts consensus is imperiled the center cannot hold!

Madness

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Obviously it's always been the case to this or that extent, but it feels like the liberal distortion of reality really took off during the obama era and the reporting and cheering of the destruction of libya and syria (which the state department cosplaying freaks in d&d loved and sucked off brown moses for). Russiagate and then the hysteria over china continued from there.

I was listening to the RWN episode on the bangladesh independence war, and they played a clip from nbc or some other mainstream american broadcaster from 1971 that ran sharply against US government policy (which was backing pakistan's genocide there to the hilt). It's impossible to imagine consistent mainstream reporting today that's overtly adversarial to the aims of the natsec blob - witness how quickly the guardian was neutralized after the snowden leaks

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Jun 16, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium posted:

Even the State Dept admitted there isn't enough evidence and these are also the guys with a thousand satellites that can see a loving car plate and every incentive to use them in Chynaaaa

To "prove" it's genocide.

It's still genocide according to state department though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelin...nies-yet-again/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

idk why China would fudge census numbers when they’re pretty open about the carceral repressive poo poo they’re doing in Xinjiang

yeah it's obviously a double standard when you can use Chinese state census numbers to conclude that a genocide is happening in Xinjiang and then turn around and say that these latest numbers are fake and made-up and unreliable

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I sure am glad that we have the Chinese government to provide an accurate picture of what's happening in Xinjiang. Case closed

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i salute the brave and better paid members of the 50 cent army for their sacrificial probes in d&d. i will not be joining them as i have written d&d off once i ate a 7 day probe for posting references in reply to a question. namaste 謝謝你

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

and guess what happens when you try to apply the same standard back at them. try explicitly rejecting every major news source that pushed the iraq war without clicking any of the articles, lol

What is this probe lmao

quote:

Your post history shows no mention of the word "Tromboner", why is that?

No but seriously, don't comb through peoples search history to gatekeep who can and cannot talk about genocide you weirdo. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

So what is the original argument? What is the one Taiwanese food that was not origined from Chinese regional cruisaine?

I would like to know so I will seek it out.

Kavalan whiskey

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

crepeface posted:

americans are doing cultural genoicde to south korea and kpop is their retaliatory strike

i thought kpop was mostly in the style of genres that originated in the west like rap and pop. better produced than europeans or americans do most of the time, but still that style.

is there any traditional korean music that has influenced kpop.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

i thought kpop was mostly in the style of genres that originated in the west like rap and pop. better produced than europeans or americans do most of the time, but still that style.

I listened to a bunch of it yesterday to try to understand the appeal and it’s exactly this, not really better produced musically but they put out much better stage shows/videos than most acts. also there’s a lot more tv/streaming integration than American acts which helps build a strong allegiance

it’s fine, nothing special musically. I’m happy for the people who love it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atrocious Joe posted:

is there any traditional korean music that has influenced kpop.

it is an assult that that has been endured, studied and concentrated to be returned in a more powerful form. the origins remain in the west, but it has been enhanced beyond our wildest dreams.

bts: back to sender.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8LxORztUWY

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

crepeface posted:

i salute the brave and better paid members of the 50 cent army for their sacrificial probes in d&d. i will not be joining them as i have written d&d off once i ate a 7 day probe for posting references in reply to a question. namaste 謝謝你

Indeed.

DND is a containment zone.

There's no reason to go there. Let a lone post there.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Homeless Friend posted:

its incredible to think that other countries think of the stuff we eat as food or cuisine lol

https://i.imgur.com/etHlerK.mp4

stephenthinkpad posted:

Weren't the Dutch activities were essentially fur trader type business bases like what the Russians were doing in the far far east and French doing in Northern America around the same time? I am fuzzy on the history of that era.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
5. Build your news organization’s muscle for determining the origin and nature of viral information. A responsible newsroom would never take the authenticity of leaked or other non-public content at face value because the authenticity of the content goes to the very heart of its newsworthiness

the only legit sources are CIA press releases

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

5. Build your news organization’s muscle for determining the origin and nature of viral information. A responsible newsroom would never take the authenticity of leaked or other non-public content at face value because the authenticity of the content goes to the very heart of its newsworthiness

the only legit sources are CIA press releases

eh I think authenticating/verifying poo poo is pretty important or it can kill your

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1405057534856097795
https://twitter.com/niveaforman1/status/1405143709851611136
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-meaning-of/japanese-word-9b30ac81c7ff88e8e0335c6d29f72adc36aafb4e.html

https://twitter.com/razibkhan/status/1405027124373819398

https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2020...the-han-chinese

quote:

Unsurprisingly, the authors find that the southern samples from Fujian seem most similar to Austronesians. Today no one from these regions is “pure” southern. Rather, they are a mix. The Austronesians migrated out early enough that they carry southern East Asian ancestry exclusively. This recapitulates a common phenomenon where the ancestral “homeland” of a given group changes over time, reducing the ability to infer origins (e.g., the percentage of “Middle Eastern” ancestry in Southern Europe was underestimated because Anatolian farmers were partially replaced in Anatolia by migrants from the east).

What is the overall takeaway? I think this confirms the other early papers that East Asia exhibits more continuity with its past that Europe and South Asian, rather like West Asia. While Europeans and South Asians have substantial ancestry from profoundly intrusive groups during the Holocene, the Han Chinese are in many ways “sons of the soil.” They did to some extent marginalize and absorb many other peoples in the modern area of “China proper”, and are themselves as a compound of two ancestral streams, but at the end of the last Ice Age, more than 90% of their ancestors were living within the boundaries of China proper.

http://faculty.washington.edu/stevehar/Stainton%20Aboriginal%20Politics.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

crepeface posted:

it is an assult that that has been endured, studied and concentrated to be returned in a more powerful form. the origins remain in the west, but it has been enhanced beyond our wildest dreams.

kinda like Maoism