Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Len posted:

Yeah but then I would have had to store a spare door somewhere

After taking off the hinges and knob they're long and flat, lots of places to put them. Under a bed, against the wall behind a bed, back of a closet sideways, under/behind a couch, plain old upright against the wall where it would be behind the door when open, etc. Get creative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

spinst posted:

I'm sorry. He looks like he was a very good cat.

Thanks. He was kind of an rear end in a top hat, but I think he was doing his best. Or maybe I’m projecting.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

All cats are kinda assholes. All cats are also good cats.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Davin Valkri posted:

What sort of toys would you recommend? Toffee definitely seems to want my attention a lot, but the only toys he reliably plays with are a couple of fur-covered mice, one electric and one just a ball of fluff, and occasionally a dangling piece of paracord. I can barely get him to play with wand toys!
Whatever the cat will play with. And yes, this means you'll have to set a budget to buy new toys periodically and cycle through them as you find out what they will or will not play with, because it's all trial and error. Laser pointers that you can end with a tangible object they can pounce on would be a universally good choice, I think.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Desperate plea: are there any Canadian goons who would be interested in adopting or fostering one or more cats from Abu Dhabi?

Long story short, I have four rescue cats, and need to leave Abu Dhabi soon, but due to COVID making a mess of things, I need to head for Toronto instead of back home to Australia, which means I can't keep the cats, or at least not all of them. Unfortunately, chances of rehoming locally are slim to none, so I'd like to rehome the cats in Canada, where prospects should be much better.

I've already contacted a few shelters in Toronto, but unfortunately none of them will accept cats directly from overseas. They might accept them once they're actually in Toronto, but I don't want to risk the cats being stuck in a boarding cattery indefinitely.

If anyone is able to help, or has any suggestions, please let me know. They are such wonderful cats, and I refuse to leave them behind.

Just look at these adorable jerks: (the black one on the left has a pretty good origin story)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Smirk posted:

Desperate plea: are there any Canadian goons who would be interested in adopting or fostering one or more cats from Abu Dhabi?

Long story short, I have four rescue cats, and need to leave Abu Dhabi soon, but due to COVID making a mess of things, I need to head for Toronto instead of back home to Australia, which means I can't keep the cats, or at least not all of them. Unfortunately, chances of rehoming locally are slim to none, so I'd like to rehome the cats in Canada, where prospects should be much better.

I've already contacted a few shelters in Toronto, but unfortunately none of them will accept cats directly from overseas. They might accept them once they're actually in Toronto, but I don't want to risk the cats being stuck in a boarding cattery indefinitely.

If anyone is able to help, or has any suggestions, please let me know. They are such wonderful cats, and I refuse to leave them behind.

Just look at these adorable jerks: (the black one on the left has a pretty good origin story)

I am not local and can’t help but isn’t that where Garfield always tried to ship Nermal to

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I just got a kitten and I have no clue what I'm doing. I had read up a lot but now that I actually have her, it's like I forgot everything. My thing right now is how do I get her used to her litterbox area? I'm putting it in the bathroom since it's tiled and the only other tiled spot in my apartment is the kitchen. Sorry for such a basic question. :(

She's very cute and I am committed, just a bit overwhelmed. I haven't decided on a name yet either. I like Katya but my partner thinks it's a little silly to give a cat a name with "cat" in it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I just got a kitten and I have no clue what I'm doing. I had read up a lot but now that I actually have her, it's like I forgot everything. My thing right now is how do I get her used to her litterbox area? I'm putting it in the bathroom since it's tiled and the only other tiled spot in my apartment is the kitchen. Sorry for such a basic question. :(

She's very cute and I am committed, just a bit overwhelmed. I haven't decided on a name yet either. I like Katya but my partner thinks it's a little silly to give a cat a name with "cat" in it.

Is she having trouble locating the litterbox? Try letting the poop/pee sit for a bit before scooping so she knows the smells come from there.

(fixed img btw)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Drop her in the litter box so she knows it's there. She'll figure out what it's for. Cats instinctively want a soft place to scratch and do their stuff, so she'll find and use it. If she does need some reinforcement, lock her in the bathroom with some food and water until she uses it.

When we get a new cat, the first thing we do is put it in the litterbox and let it start mapping its new domain from there.

Generally, relax. Cats are very good at looking after themselves. They want a litter box, food, water, somewhere to sleep and some toys to play with. They'll put up with some attention from you now and then when they feel like it.

If she needs something from you, she'll let you know.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

Drop her in the litter box so she knows it's there. She'll figure out what it's for. Cats instinctively want a soft place to scratch and do their stuff, so she'll find and use it. If she does need some reinforcement, lock her in the bathroom with some food and water until she uses it.

When we get a new cat, the first thing we do is put it in the litterbox and let it start mapping its new domain from there.

Generally, relax. Cats are very good at looking after themselves. They want a litter box, food, water, somewhere to sleep and some toys to play with. They'll put up with some attention from you now and then when they feel like it.

If she needs something from you, she'll let you know.

also all of this

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Buff Hardback posted:

Is she having trouble locating the litterbox? Try letting the poop/pee sit for a bit before scooping so she knows the smells come from there.

(fixed img btw)

Thanks! And no, not yet. She hasn't needed it but I'm thinking she will soon. I'll pop her on the box in a little bit. She's explored the living room pretty thouroughly but hasn't made her way back to the bathroom. I'll definitely take the drop her in with food advice.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I know I'm over thinking things so this is all really helpful.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Thanks! And no, not yet. She hasn't needed it but I'm thinking she will soon. I'll pop her on the box in a little bit. She's explored the living room pretty thouroughly but hasn't made her way back to the bathroom. I'll definitely take the drop her in with food advice.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I know I'm over thinking things so this is all really helpful.

Oh yeah if you’re giving them a full run of the house, don’t do that until they’re aware of where the litter box is. Limit them to a small space with litter/food/water, then once they’re pooping and peeing you can let them fully explore.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

spinst posted:

My floofer Betty gets a haircut every May. It's the best thing ever and keeps me sane. She hates being brushed and has such long sheddy hair that she starts matting up in April. Plus, slightly less vacuuming for awhile! Bonus. (Downside is Betty turns into the Incredible Hulk at the vet, so she has to be sedated for this to happen.) Oh AND the first layer of hair that grows back first is the softest poo poo ever!

Before:

After:

hehe

Thanks, although it ended up being a moot point - the groomer said he was so terrified of the clippers there's no way she could have shaved him. She did manage to trim around his butt where he keeps getting poop stuck though, and he did fine on the bath and nail clipping.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Buff Hardback posted:

Oh yeah if you’re giving them a full run of the house, don’t do that until they’re aware of where the litter box is. Limit them to a small space with litter/food/water, then once they’re pooping and peeing you can let them fully explore.

Ack yeah. She's in the bathroom with her food, litterbox, water, and her bed so she can really get used to it. I feel kind of guilty leaving her in there even though I know it's the best way to get her trained and used to her new home.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Ack yeah. She's in the bathroom with her food, litterbox, water, and her bed so she can really get used to it. I feel kind of guilty leaving her in there even though I know it's the best way to get her trained and used to her new home.
Don't be, because if you didn't provide an enclosed space she can call her own, she'd carve one for herself behind the fridge or something. Better the one you can provide her necessities and won't require you to cut holes in the ceiling to extricate her. Or find poop in the air registers because she couldn't find a place to go.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Don't feel bad! We had Aleta locked in our bathroom for a good part of the day for the first month she lived with us (she could explore the bedroom, but since we had a feral adult female with special needs come into the house at the same time, we wanted to keep them separated until Luna could acclimate a bit more.) She didn't seem sore about it; in fact, the bathroom is the place she goes to relax when she's feeling vulnerable nowadays.

Just make sure you keep the lid of the toilet closed!!

Bonus: Bidet baby living her best toilet life!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Thanks. He was kind of an rear end in a top hat, but I think he was doing his best. Or maybe I’m projecting.

Cat: kind of an rear end in a top hat, but doing his best

Khizan posted:

All cats are kinda assholes. All cats are also good cats.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Just try to relax and enjoy your new cat. Remember that cats are both predators AND prey animals, so when a bunch of stuff changes and they feel anxious they will hole up somewhere until they feel more sure of where things stand. That includes holding in their poo and not eating for a while.

Litterbox, water, and food are the landmarks of a cat's world (followed closely by good spots to nap). Plunking a cat down in the litterbox is the first thing I usually do when moving them. Feeling the sandy litter triggers something in their brain and gives them a reference point they can explore outwards from

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What are the actual rules for sizing a cat carrier? Not for flights or anything, but for trips in the car to the vet and occasional rides up to three hours.

When I Google it I mostly see recommendations that you measure the cat from nose to the tip of the tail and add four inches. I have a Maine Coon, he’s a long noodle, not super beefy. My gf measured him at 25” and bought a 30” carrier and now that’s its here it’s clearly made for a dog, it’s huge, I’ve never seen someone with a cat in a carrier this disproportionally enormous.

The thing is, I’m looking at these sites for advice but then in all the pictures there’s cats in carriers that are no way the cats maximum length plus 4”. I’m seeing 26” long carriers that are around 18-20” wide and tall, that seems like plenty to me. Am I a monster?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I like Katya but my partner thinks it's a little silly to give a cat a name with "cat" in it.

:sever:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Snowy posted:

What are the actual rules for sizing a cat carrier? Not for flights or anything, but for trips in the car to the vet and occasional rides up to three hours.

When I Google it I mostly see recommendations that you measure the cat from nose to the tip of the tail and add four inches. I have a Maine Coon, he’s a long noodle, not super beefy. My gf measured him at 25” and bought a 30” carrier and now that’s its here it’s clearly made for a dog, it’s huge, I’ve never seen someone with a cat in a carrier this disproportionally enormous.

The thing is, I’m looking at these sites for advice but then in all the pictures there’s cats in carriers that are no way the cats maximum length plus 4”. I’m seeing 26” long carriers that are around 18-20” wide and tall, that seems like plenty to me. Am I a monster?

For long trips, like 3+ hours, I'd go with one of those fabric/mesh pop out kennels, not a carrier.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Snowy posted:

What are the actual rules for sizing a cat carrier?

I have two carriers, Sam's is significantly larger than Max's and was a small dog carrier but he was also a bigger cat (16lbs) and he wouldn't have been able to lay down comfortably in Max's cat-sized carrier. I think as long as they can lay down and turn around inside the thing it's fine. The only time having a larger carrier would be an issue is airplanes, due to space restrictions. Heck I know people who've used a small dog crate in their backseat on longer trips. Basically as long as the thing isn't a giant pain to carry you're probably fine with the dog carrier.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A huge carrier also has the room to put a tiny litterbox inside, which is a boon for long trips. The cat will probably sleep in the litter rather than peeing in it, but it's a relief to know they have the option.

For short trips, like under an hour just to go to the local vet or whatever, an undersize carrier is fine. They need to be able to stand up, turn around, and lie down, but not necessarily stretch out to full size.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I have the Sherpa Deluxe in medium, and it's a little cramped for Artemis, but she handled 5 hours in it just fine.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is it ever bad to take a cat who was an outside/inside cat and make them full time inside? I adopted a stray about a year ago and she was always outside/inside(was basically impossible to keep her inside with all the roommates) and the cat and I recently bought our own house. I've been keeping her inside so far these past 2 weeks, but she's being a little dramatic. I'm not sure how much of it is just cat drama and how much is her being sincerely miserable about it. I have a small fenced in backyard that's about 6 foot high that I think might actually be able to contain her that could be a good trade off. I know it's better to keep the cats inside but I worry it might be bad for her mental health. Every time I go out to vape she watches me in the window, and will sometimes even bite my feet which she never did before(although it's more of a Hey, I need your attention, you forgot to let me out type of bite rather than her trying to hurt me)

I am getting her a cat buddy very soon that might help with her boredom of being in and by herself when I'm at work. Should I wait it out a bit longer to see if she will adjust?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is it ever bad to take a cat who was an outside/inside cat and make them full time inside? I adopted a stray about a year ago and she was always outside/inside(was basically impossible to keep her inside with all the roommates) and the cat and I recently bought our own house. I've been keeping her inside so far these past 2 weeks, but she's being a little dramatic. I'm not sure how much of it is just cat drama and how much is her being sincerely miserable about it. I have a small fenced in backyard that's about 6 foot high that I think might actually be able to contain her that could be a good trade off. I know it's better to keep the cats inside but I worry it might be bad for her mental health. Every time I go out to vape she watches me in the window, and will sometimes even bite my feet which she never did before(although it's more of a Hey, I need your attention, you forgot to let me out type of bite rather than her trying to hurt me)

I am getting her a cat buddy very soon that might help with her boredom of being in and by herself when I'm at work. Should I wait it out a bit longer to see if she will adjust?

Cat proofing a yard is usually folly and makes the yard look bizarre with contraptions and netting at the top of fences. Your best bet for safe outdoor entertainment is a catio or regular leash walks.

That said, she should be fine indoors maybe play with her more and get some more cat furniture. Trees, stepped shelving etc. She's watching you because she misses you or is just watching the activity outside. Both my cats will watch for a long time if I'm out back working on the patio and also run up to the 2nd floor bedroom window to see when I'm coming or going.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh yeah, I'm buying one of those tall as hell cat tower things Friday. I imagine it's a lot of stress for her. Totally new house, not being able to go outside, and also being alone during the day. Before I moved my brother and his dog would be there while I was at work so she's not used to it. Hopefully she will get along with the new cat I'm taking in this weekend, she probably will, I've never seen her act territorial or aggressive at all before with other animals.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

She'll adjust. She might beg to go outside once in a while, but its like a toddler demanding ice cream for every meal. They might really want it on occasion, and there are ways to provide it in moderation, but you're not neglecting or torturing them not not giving unmitigated access.

Have toys, scratching posts, trees, etc. inside, have dedicated time to play with her. Put up a bird feeder to watch at a window. She'll be fine.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, the watching/biting sounds more like "you didn't let me in on your super secret activity" than "I'm severely depressed at being an indoor cat". It's the same thing as when you close the door to the bathroom when you take a poo poo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, the watching/biting sounds more like "you didn't let me in on your super secret activity" than "I'm severely depressed at being an indoor cat". It's the same thing as when you close the door to the bathroom when you take a poo poo.

Look at this scrub who doesn't live alone and won't give their cats unfettered access to tearing around a tile floor messing up all the bathmats while you're sitting there trying to do your business :smuggo: My tort will not shut up while I'm in there, is that just a girl 'we all talk in the bathroom' thing from 90s sitcoms? Maybe she's just learned that she has a captive audience for a few minutes for extra pets. Clever girl...

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Speaking of tile floors, this new house has vinyl flooring and a big open living room/hall/dining room and the cat looks like a drift car chasing her lids around.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Katya update! She seems to be adjusting well! She's used her litterbox well outside of a little accident on the mat I got for it and she's eating and drinking good. I'm letting her explore and get comfy in the bedroom, as long as myself or my partner are in it, since I've got a master bedroom/bathroom situation and so far so good! Today was my first office work day since I got her and I felt bad leaving her in the bathroom but my patner set her iPad up as a nanny cam so I could check in on her.

Still trying to get her in to a vet though. All the ones in my immediate area are booked until July so I'll probably start looking for one close to my work instead, at least for an initial appointment.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm greatly relieved to say that Jackie has stopped wheezing, coughing, choking, and puking quite so much like she was last week (particularly when purring) and has gone back to sounding and acting like her normal self. Which is seriously a relief, I have to say. I'm still not sure if it was an allergic reaction to pollen, a result of eating too much grass, a hairball, or maybe just a respiratory/sinus infection of some kind. Regardless, it's just always a relief when your 14-year-old cat gets sick and it goes away on its own completely without it requiring a visit to the vet.

I'm still amazed at the weight she's lost, going from 16 pounds all the way down to 12. I'm still just amazed at how lightweight she feels and just how much less of her there is every time she cuddles with me or I pick her up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Little Daenerys is almost completely healed now. She just has one scab hanging on under her armpit that should fall off any time. Her belly is perfect, and the hair is growing back slowly.

Her insurance (finally) came through and paid out her claims last night, though I still need to battle them over changing my address; they want to up the premiums by 35% because "veterinary costs in your new area may be higher". We moved a grand total of 3 miles, but our zip code changed by one digit. Still the same pets going to the exact same vet, but gently caress you, your pets now have preexisting conditions, if you leave they'll never be insured again (or at least these conditions would be excluded, kind of defeating the point).

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We tried cat-proofing our previous backyard and it turned into a full on arms race because Katya knows parkour. We have since settled on an "only when supervised" tactic, which is annoying but Katya loves going outside, eating a bit of grass, and rolling around in the dirt. She has scoped out the weak spots in the perimeter of our new backyard so we know what to look out for, fortunately the fencing is much better.

It's a struggle because outdoor cats are the norm here, even in the city, but I don't want my babies wandering the dangerous streets. The entire block has enclosed backyards though which helps, and little Kimchi is just a nervous lil dumdum who would NEVER. She just tries to eat everything that moves, apparently she brought a live bumble bee into the house the other day that my partner then had to save.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Katya update! She seems to be adjusting well! She's used her litterbox well outside of a little accident on the mat I got for it and she's eating and drinking good. I'm letting her explore and get comfy in the bedroom, as long as myself or my partner are in it, since I've got a master bedroom/bathroom situation and so far so good! Today was my first office work day since I got her and I felt bad leaving her in the bathroom but my patner set her iPad up as a nanny cam so I could check in on her.

Still trying to get her in to a vet though. All the ones in my immediate area are booked until July so I'll probably start looking for one close to my work instead, at least for an initial appointment.

Two Katyas in the thread! Although her full name is Yekaterina Petrovna Zamalodchikova, we only use it when she's in trouble of course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got lucky in that our outdoor obsessed cat took really well to a harness and so now we can chill out in the back yard and she has pretty free reign as long as it's shorter than the flexi we bought.

Only downside is familiarity has made her pretty boring, she trots over to her one favorite spot where she saw a squirrel once and stares at the spot hoping it comes back for another shouting match.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Two Katyas in the thread! Although her full name is Yekaterina Petrovna Zamalodchikova, we only use it when she's in trouble of course.

That Katya is always trouble (which is why we love her so much).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

xzzy posted:

I got lucky in that our outdoor obsessed cat took really well to a harness and so now we can chill out in the back yard and she has pretty free reign as long as it's shorter than the flexi we bought.

Only downside is familiarity has made her pretty boring, she trots over to her one favorite spot where she saw a squirrel once and stares at the spot hoping it comes back for another shouting match.

This is what my life is now.

Khan is obsessed with outside, we have to constantly watch for her trying to sneak out when we get deliveries. She loves going out on the screened in lanai to watch the birdfeeders but really wants to get out more.

Rexie is just curious about everything all the time so she follows Khan's lead.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Techincally her full name is Katya Louise Belcher. She is definitely living up to both namesakes. And now I've got "but your dad just calls me Katyaaaaa" stuck in my head.

Anyone have a good suggestion for something like a baby gate? We have a pantry with no door that's accessible via our living room and while I'm keeping an eye on her I still want her access to be restricted since there's plenty of not kitten friendly things in there.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Did anyone else's cat end up with a full name entirely by accident? Aleta somehow became "Aleta Marie Boo" after three months and now I can't think of her any other way. Like I will use her full name when she's in trouble and she gets spoopy eyes like a Real Boy.

Whereas Luna Ghost became simply Luna over time, much like Cherilyn Sarkisian became Cher. Or Luna Tuna Bear because I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, having to listen to your parents use your full name for the "you're in big trouble" warning apparently makes it something we instinctively do when scolding our pets.