Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if the tether broke and i floated away into space forever i hope aliens find me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stux posted:

sekiro does one ds1 esque thing tho in tearing bonfires away from you half way through lol although it was only one in ds1 dont think elden will be able to use that trick but yeah the stealth really makes you memorise your layouts

Yeah the switcheroo at the halfway point rules but they're definitely not doing that in a map large enough to call "open world"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

if the tether broke and i floated away into space forever i hope aliens find me

When I was seven
I told my mother
'Take me to the bay and put me on a ship'

Silver swordfish
electric
I can feel a dream down here

If the water should cut my mind
If the water should cut my life
If the water should cut my mind, set me free
I don't care
I want to live in a bathysphere

When I was seven
My father said to me
'But you can't swim'
And I never dreamed of the sea again

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike doesn't have the depth as a lot of other soundtracks, but every single song on that OST is an absolute banger. My favorites are Jazzy NYC, Beats in My Head, and The Longshoreman. The latter specifically for it's groovy but simplistic bassline.

That being said, every song is quality, and almost every song has some sort of 90s electric influence, whether it be house or breakbeat or something else, and I greatly appreciate that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZwOXG-oWHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0voJE5bpow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jrhPw6be0
The Dudley and Akuma stages were really good too. I forget what versions had the Arranged music but I remember it being very hard to find out and pretty jarring to hear the original versions which only had 2 tracks per stage.

It's also the first game I remember that would mix in the different songs with transitions as you go through the rounds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simone Magus posted:

When I was seven
I told my mother

Silver swordfish
electric

I don't care

When I was seven
My father said to me
'But you can't swim'

drat owned

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

it's infinitely depressing to me that the worst bands of all time are making a weird comeback. millions of new Korn and Slipknot fans. why isn't every genre seeing a proportional resurgence? :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the important thing about HK's art is that the animation has drawn inbetweens and run cycles while 50% of indie games right now take 1 drawing and rig it to do paper cutout animation, and the latter annoys me so so so so so so so much more

it's not just that such games have 'tweeny' animation but that they will sometimes put a lot of thought and work into the art direction of the game and then fumble at the 10 yard line by doing single-drawing character rigs. many games are getting made via kickstarter funds.. please, please budget for an animator when you KS. PLEASE

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In Nocturne is alignment something that's easy to figure out or do you need a guide to make sure you're on any particular alignment? Also is there a specific alignment that has more gameplay than the others?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Simone Magus posted:

it's infinitely depressing to me that the worst bands of all time are making a weird comeback. millions of new Korn and Slipknot fans. why isn't every genre seeing a proportional resurgence? :(

what genre is mid 90s chan marshall tho?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

When I was seven
I told my mother

Silver swordfish
electric

I don't care

When I was seven
My father said to me
'But you can't swim'

if ya looking for me
you better check under the sea
cause that is where you'll find me

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

yet another ZDR that makes things vanish

e:

oddium posted:

not surprised things are mysteriously disappearing due to zdr's influence

:argh:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 16, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One day we will all go into the water
Go into the water
Live there
Die there

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

yet another ZDR that makes things vanish

e:

:argh:

oddium posted:

not surprised things are mysteriously disappearing due to zdr's influence

trying to figure out this reference

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another of the colorful personalities who made SA what it is today

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2823

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

I said come in! posted:

https://twitch.tv/nasa NASA has a live feed of a space walk at the international space station going on. These are not really that interesting to watch, but I always love watching them anyways. Space walks seems like they are probably one of the most dangerous jobs you could possibly do. I know I would never be brave enough to do something like this.

Whereas I would do it in speedos and a snorkel if someone else paid to get me up there, I'm fascinated by stuff like that and would be a small price to pay to actually get to orbit.

Not to mention I could double check what shape the planet is while I'm up there (my :10bux: is on "oblate spheroid")

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

In Nocturne is alignment something that's easy to figure out or do you need a guide to make sure you're on any particular alignment? Also is there a specific alignment that has more gameplay than the others?

So far it seems like it’s pretty obvious which dialogue choices will affect what. Also I’m not sure if it counts as a different alignment but there’s a whole megadungeon that if completed might take priority and hijack your ending? Idk really

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

trying to figure out this reference

zen death robot was an admin that ripped all their posts out of the forums db and it caused some threads some weird issues

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can all games be as fun/interesting as 13 sentinels

haven't been this enscorcled by a game since VLR

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

https://twitch.tv/nasa NASA has a live feed of a space walk at the international space station going on. These are not really that interesting to watch, but I always love watching them anyways. Space walks seems like they are probably one of the most dangerous jobs you could possibly do. I know I would never be brave enough to do something like this.

aeiou

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

So far it seems like it’s pretty obvious which dialogue choices will affect what. Also I’m not sure if it counts as a different alignment but there’s a whole megadungeon that if completed might take priority and hijack your ending? Idk really

yeah if you absolutely clear the entire amala labyrinth itll lock in a specific ending with an extra boss. but you can do everything except go down the last ladder and watch the cutscene down there iirc

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

JOHN MADDEN!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ouch

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Windows 11 launches this month????

[edit]
Ooh no its a reveal of what it is and looks like, but there's already been some really nice leaks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VideoGames posted:

I need to make a list of best VG soundtracks.

Ace Combat
Yakuza
just about any Falcom game, but especially Ys VIII and Trails to Azure

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 16, 2021

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Looking forward to spending hours hunting for the hidden options and tweaks that make the newest Windows feel more like the older ones

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hwurmp posted:

Ace Combat
Yakuza
just about any Falcom game, but especially Ys VIII and Trails to Azure

The best part about banging my head against these Megalith tunnels is the song

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mutata posted:

JOHN MADDEN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liTD7ZZZwz4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was there anything of note revealed at the Microsoft conference? That’s the only one I wound up missing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was there anything of note revealed at the Microsoft conference? That’s the only one I wound up missing

Their lineup for 2021 and what gamepass titles to look forward to. The surprise announcement was that not only does Forza Horizon 5 exist, it is stunningly good looking and releases this year which is I think the first time in like, possibly ever, microsoft has announced a game thats coming out the same year.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm playing a 3ds game called 7th Dragon III and I just met this character here

His name is Julietta and it's lame that his boss immediately is like "his real name is [whatever his birth name is] teehee" and he's mad about his preferred name not being chosen but they're back to using Julietta and I'm glad gay cowboy scientist is gonna be a major character in this game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat that game and could not name a single character in it so you're already getting more value than me.

One piece of mechanical advice is that Hackers seem really cool but they never overcome their core hurdler of their class combat requires them to debuff the enemy first and its not a guarantee

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Was that the first Microsoft conference with no Gears of War

actually I don't think I've seen that series since the weird funko pop spinoff they did

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

I beat that game and could not name a single character in it so you're already getting more value than me.

One piece of mechanical advice is that Hackers seem really cool but they never overcome their core hurdler of their class combat requires them to debuff the enemy first and its not a guarantee

Oh no, my leader is a hacker...

Are they useful outside of the hacking abilities with the guns and stuff?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tithin posted:

I finished Prey 2017

serious spoilers below

the whole thing being a simulation was pretty lol

Have you played SOMA? Not the best game but it does similar things with the story which owns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

17776 is critically underrated. One of the most original works of art I've encountered in years. Brilliant stuff.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FirstAidKite posted:

"Newgrounds art" and "flash art" are terms that are generally used negatively against a game. A common criticism of Hollow Knight's art was that it was "newgrounds" or "flash" art. When someone is saying that the game is ugly because of its newgrounds art, chances are they're not saying "this game is ugly, also the game's art is based on a previous flash game from newgrounds," they are most likely saying "this game is ugly, because its art is newgrounds art and newgrounds art is ugly."

It's a frustrating thing because it is a label that it is generally used to say that something has an objectively inferior art style.

It's okay for you to not like a thing, it's okay to not like a particular art style, it's okay to say something that is objectively a fact like "this game is based on another game that used the same art style and was on newgrounds." But that's not what it gets used for, just like when people sling around terms like "anime" as a negative description for something and only using it on things they don't like. It's not anime if I like it, it's not flash if I like it, etc.

It is also incredibly frustrating when people do like what snail was doing where they post the tedious bad faith misrepresentations of posts and try to spin something an argument out of nothing.

It's annoying. I feel like I'm saying something clearly, something not at all controversial, and then it's purposefully twisted into something else and then I look like a damned idiot for just trying to explain a simple thing. I already feel like a stupid piece of poo poo every day as it is so it's exhausting having an argument about something that wasn't said all because a term has 2 different meanings and uses.
Sometimes these styles like "anime" or "newgrounds" cannot be rigorously defined but people know them when they see them, and they prejudge games on that basis because 9 times out of 10 it actually is a solid indication of the quality of the overall product.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yeah they're both good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How far am I from the end of Nocturne?

i’m currently clearing out three pyramids for my former human pal

I got persona 5 to work and kinda itching to move on to that game...