Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That’s what I mean, all but maybe a dozen will end up with some sort of parole or a year or two. That’s a very light sentence for trying to violently overthrow the government because the people voted the wrong way.

Given how pathetic the Dem’s reaction had been and how chud Governors are going full voter suppression it’s likely the far right will win power in 2024 unless there is a major course correction, and they’re primed now to actually do an actual possibly successful coup in case they lose since it’s clear the GOP is going to let it happen.

These folks are getting charged with federal crimes and while the sentences might be shorter than expected, there isn’t parole in the fed system. You get 3 years, you serve 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Naramyth posted:

These folks are getting charged with federal crimes and while the sentences might be shorter than expected, there isn’t parole in the fed system. You get 3 years, you serve 3 years.

I think they meant probation of a year or two.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Always thought the Pipe Hitters Union was a mil-motorcyle club. The chapter near where I used to live had several poc members and they were always doing fundraisers for charities at local biker bars.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Resisting arrest: punishable by death

Overthrowing the United States: here’s probation bro, enjoy the beach this summer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, as much as I hate to admit it, rounding up everyone that had a maga hat on within three blocks of the capitol on that day and throwing the book at them for treason while cathartic, it'd probably do nothing more than give more propaganda ammo about the PeRsEcUtiOn oF CoNsErVatIves and in exchange karen gets slightly more inconvenienced until their lawyers plead them down anyway.

That said while the lightest of offenders should get off with fines, some jail, and book reports. The most egregious should be hung or spend the rest of their life in Leavenworth.

They don't need actual real life events to use as ammo. They literally just invent poo poo all the time so worrying about ThE oPtIcS is dumb as gently caress.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

boop the snoot posted:

Resisting arrest: punishable by death

Overthrowing the United States: here’s probation bro, enjoy the beach this summer.

"We'd tell you to not leave the country, but hell, Cancun is just Atlantic City for white people with more discretionary income."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CainFortea posted:

They don't need actual real life events to use as ammo. They literally just invent poo poo all the time so worrying about ThE oPtIcS is dumb as gently caress.

Some dumbass in the back of the crowd isn't gonna see the gallows even if DoJ wanted them strung up for treason. So they walk and end up on fox or onn or what ever the gently caress saying "the gubermint tried to kill me, they're persecuting us".

So great, you've generated some amount of martyrs who can go on podcasts, news shows, what ever the gently caress yelling about how they where unfairly persecuted by the government and they'll be after the rest of you sooner enough, they get money from the grift, and the rest of us get gently caress all except some hick who might end up radicalized because of it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

So great, you've generated some amount of martyrs who can go on podcasts, news shows, what ever the gently caress yelling about how they where unfairly persecuted by the government and they'll be after the rest of you sooner enough, they get money from the grift, and the rest of us get gently caress all except some hick who might end up radicalized because of it.

I challenge you to find a time this doesn’t apply to Republicans in my adult life (I’m 33)

You seriously could have made this post randomly throughout several decades.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Some dumbass in the back of the crowd isn't gonna see the gallows even if DoJ wanted them strung up for treason. So they walk and end up on fox or onn or what ever the gently caress saying "the gubermint tried to kill me, they're persecuting us".

Okay. They are already going to do this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Defenestrategy posted:

It really doesn’t matter. Persecution complexes are divorced from reality. A concentration camp guard would tell you that he was a victim of Jewish oppression while machine gunning prisoners for giggles.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Defenestrategy posted:

But do you agree it would be much more pleasing if we could adapt defenestration as a strategy?

brains
May 12, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But do you agree it would be much more pleasing if we could adapt defenestration as a strategy?

the russians used a...uhh...window

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

the russians used a...uhh...window

FFS for the last time he shot HIMSELF twice in the back of the head and then put himself in that duffel bag.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The best way to combat fascism is by preaching unity while far right psychos decimate democracy. History says so.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Legit breakin leaders and such can get their comeuppance, but I’m not huge on the feds and other cops going hog wild with massive punitive action against people over even riots and the like.

Would prefer to generally see less people legally screwed for life by the cops.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Legit breakin leaders and such can get their comeuppance, but I’m not huge on the feds and other cops going hog wild with massive punitive action against people over even riots and the like.

They were trying to overthrow the country.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

boop the snoot posted:

They were trying to overthrow the government and replace it with a fascist strongman.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

That’s why I said go for the most legit targets. And you kinda gotta prove that in court, which is hard, whereas proving they were breaking in and assaulting and what not is easier. Rounding up everyone who was present at all? Nah.

They fuckin’ suuuuuuck, and many in that crowd are dangerous criminals, but don’t default to “More cops broadly interpreting political threats fro
crowds please, sir!”

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Generally agree with you, but gently caress that. This was an attempted overthrow of our democracy. Not my fault if Karen is too insulated to realize that while she's taking selfie in the capitol.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

That’s why I said go for the most legit targets. And you kinda gotta prove that in court, which is hard, whereas proving they were breaking in and assaulting and what not is easier. Rounding up everyone who was present at all? Nah.

They fuckin’ suuuuuuck, and many in that crowd are dangerous criminals, but don’t default to “More cops broadly interpreting political threats fro
crowds please, sir!”

If you participated in the insurrection you are a legit target for taking part in trying to overthrow the entire country. There are no small parts in this one. Sorry.

I support cops actually doing their jobs. As far as I know my tax dollars are still paying for them to work so we might as well get them to actually do some justice.

For clarification, is your issue with giving the criminal justice system power to put people in jail/prison who tried to overthrow the country, or is your issue simply with people who tried to overthrow the country going to jail/prison?

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 16, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Build a whole new federal correction facility to house all these idiots. One of those med security ones, call it a camp.

Have FEMA run it :unsmigghh:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

If you participated in the insurrection you are a legit target for taking part in trying to overthrow the entire country. There are no small parts in this one. Sorry.

Yeah, the problem is defining “participated in the insurrection.”

Some rear end in a top hat on the lawn taking selfies after people bust down the barriers? Maybe not. Someone going from office to office of the senate collecting “trophies” of papers and stuff?. Bare minimum criminal charges. Someone coordinating to find a specific lawmaker? Extremely different and more dangerous actor.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the problem is defining “participated in the insurrection.”

Some rear end in a top hat on the lawn taking selfies after people bust down the barriers? Maybe not. Someone going from office to office of the senate collecting “trophies” of papers and stuff?. Bare minimum criminal charges. Someone coordinating to find a specific lawmaker? Extremely different and more dangerous actor.

If someone busts down a barrier you still don’t have a right to cross that line. The barrier still exists even if it’s not physically there because it was removed by people trying to overthrow the country. That’s participation and treason. Prison.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

To be clear I have no issue with all of them being charged with what ever, but the Justice system as is isn't gonna convict on treason for the vast majority of these dinguses and they'd walk free and clear. Pursuing lesser charges for the majority of them will get them smacked with something, this is the same country that let the people who occupied that federal park in the west basically walk. Outside of tarp ghost and that other dude who got killed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If someone breaks into my house to kill me, the guy taking selfies on my front lawn is an accomplice imho.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

For clarification, is your issue with giving the criminal justice system power to put people in jail/prison who tried to overthrow the country, or is your issue simply with people who tried to overthrow the country going to jail/prison?

My issue is that I think the onus is on the government to prove crimes. And I don’t think we should encourage the idea that cops simply get to decide when a political actor is guilty of attempting to overthrow government without proving it the hard and lawful way.

Make cops and DAs do their jobs. They have to prove these things. Let’s not cheer for more cop power to imprison political dissidents. There are 100% plenty of Jan 6 participants who need to go to prison. But it is not so simple as taking a photo of the whole crowd and going “yeah, they all look guilty of overthrowing the government to me.”

That’s the same strongman instinct used to crush infinitely more legitimate protests based on a few bad actors or provocateurs.

Two bootlickings don’t make a right.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

To be clear I have no issue with all of them being charged with what ever, but the Justice system as is isn't gonna convict on treason for the vast majority of these dinguses and they'd walk free and clear. Pursuing lesser charges for the majority of them will get them smacked with something,

Yeah basically. And treason legally means something. And it’s famously a hard charge to make stick!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
gently caress 'em, it was an attempt to overthrow the government. Bash some fash, put the shitheads in a hole and throw away the key. I'm open to the conversation on our prison industry being poo poo and the conditions being changed, even for these folks, because that should apply across the board our system is hosed up six ways from Sunday. The loss of freedom and separation from society though? gently caress them, it was an attempt to overthrow the government. Many, many things in our lovely system deserve attempts at rehabilitation. This is not one of them. No second chances for a coup.

Every Karen and Cletus that took a private jet down to play Babby's First Coup needs to be made an example of for everyone else. I get that that mindset is used and abused by our system to lock away people in entirely different circumstances and who it has no impact on because they're doing crimes for different reasons, so harsh punishments have little to no deterrence effect in those situations. I disagree that that situation applies here. Every white bread mother fucker thinking they're on the right side of history and privileged enough to feel they won't suffer any consequences needs to have the lesson hammered the gently caress home that you don't get to play at destabilizing the entire federal government for funsies and put some actual fear of consequences in to them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This nation is so hard right that the right wingers can literally attempt to violently reject the results of a election and people will turn out in droves arguing for clemency or even their innocence.

We are hosed

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:geno: So you were at a rally called "Stop the Steal" that formed on the day the US Senate was set to certify the presidential election?
:downs: yes
:geno: And in this crowd there were chants of "Hang Mike Pence" as well as several other politicians who were involved in the certification?
:geno: And you saw the crowd erect a gallows and at numerous places break down police barricades / push back police who were trying to prevent entry into the capitol building?
:geno: So you followed this crowd through the barricade line, walking over broken glass through doors that had been forced open into the capitol building?
:geno: Also, you did this while congress was in session, causing them to delay their lawful duties.

:geno: ok well, maybe some probation and don't do it again.

e: imo anyone who entered the capitol should be turbo hosed in terms of prison time.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

FrozenVent posted:

Build a whole new federal correction facility to house all these idiots. One of those med security ones, call it a camp.

Have FEMA run it :unsmigghh:

so long as it has a gender studies curriculum

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Every single person that stepped foot inside the Capitol on the 6th should be facing an insurrection charge. Let the prosecutors work on the punishment based on what they did inside.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s pretty right wing to argue that in response to right wing crimes, we should expand police powers and degrade the 5A to attribute guilt by association to all protest or riot attendees as long as the cops can prove there were some really heinous actors in attendance in the crowds who did some real bad crimes.

A lot of the Jan 6 folks should be facing a lot worse than they likely ever will. And it is very good that a few who will be examples are the type who normally consider themselves above consequences. But guilt by association is bad and un-American. And it can and has been be used to shut down infinitely more legitimate protests against the government. Hell, weren’t Texans being ITT blamed for their plight for not protesting hard enough against the TX legislature over ERCOT a couple months back? That’s the kind of action that would get just run the gently caress over if we embraced GBA and gave cops and DAs free ride to declare an entire body of activists to be as bad as the worst actors among them.

Hence example number whatever of why it is hard to fight fascists exploiting a liberal democracy while retaining a liberal democracy. It’s hard.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1405200041803980800

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

Every single person that stepped foot inside the Capitol on the 6th should be facing an insurrection charge. Let the prosecutors work on the punishment based on what they did inside.

That makes sense to me, barring legitimate press. Meets some basic elements. Inside the premises is a hell of an escalation and likely meets the elements more easily than “showed up outside at some point during the event.”

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.lawfareblog.com/sea-change-counterterrorism

A Sea Change in Counterterrorism

Editor’s Note: Even before the attempted insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6, the threat of domestic extremism was painfully clear, with terrorist attacks, assaults on minorities and other violence eclipsing the threat posed by jihadist groups such as the Islamic State. Recognizing this danger, the Biden administration will soon release a new, unprecedented strategy document for fighting domestic terrorism. Carly Gordenstein and Seamus Hughes of George Washington University’s Program on Extremism detail the numerous changes the administration is already making and argue that these are important steps forward in the fight against domestic extremism. - Daniel Byman

Although the speculation surrounding the potential congressional commission to investigate the Jan. 6 Capitol siege makes for attention-grabbing headlines, behind-the-scenes work is being done to update and expand the national security apparatus in order to better address the threat of domestic terrorism. According to senior officials, the Biden administration is on the cusp of releasing a first-of-its-kind strategy to counter domestic terrorism in the United States. The document is the result of the White House’s more than 140-day review of previous counterterrorism efforts. It will, in many ways, simply codify significant and lasting policy changes to countering domestic terrorism that have already occurred in the past five months.

The question of both the size and the scope of the domestic extremism threat has faced a whirlwind of politicization for more than a decade. Consequently, it has not been met with a formidable, comprehensive strategy to counter it until now. The Biden administration’s efforts represent a sea change in the way the U.S. government handles domestic extremism. Since Jan. 6, the federal government has been updating threat assessments, restructuring offices and increasing resources to combat domestic violent extremism. For the first time in two decades, domestic terrorism, and not jihadism, is at the forefront of counterterrorism policymakers’ minds.

Reassessing the Threat

While awaiting the findings of the White House review, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) released a first-of-its-kind assessment in early March on the heightened threat of domestic terrorism. The research concluded that racially motivated violent extremists (RMVEs) and militia violent extremists (MVEs) are the most likely to carry out lethal attacks as lone actors or small cells, writing that “RMVEs [are] most likely to conduct mass-casualty attacks against civilians and MVEs typically target[] law enforcement and government personnel and facilities.” Notably, the report called attention to the threat of domestic violent extremist lone actors. These individuals pose a significant challenge to law enforcement as they can radicalize independently, move discreetly and easily obtain weapons for attacks—all while avoiding criminal thresholds necessary for law enforcement to interdict and arrest them.

Following the ODNI analysis, the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) put out a joint report in May containing a strategic intelligence assessment and data on domestic terrorism. The review found that, although domestic terrorism-related deaths have been increasing every year since 2015, the FBI has been arresting fewer domestic terrorism perpetrators annually.

Additionally, the FBI-DHS report noted that the most lethal and common form of domestic violent extremism (DVE) is carried out by white supremacist groups but that other ideological groups contribute to domestic terrorism as well. Single-issue extremists—including those concerned with abortion, animal rights and the environment, as well as other ideological extremists—contribute to recorded incidents of domestic terrorism. This report was the first joint intelligence assessment and data report about domestic terrorism and provided much needed transparency into the investigations, law enforcement processes and scope of the threat.

Finally, both the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security are looking within, focusing on extremism in their workforces. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has already ordered several measures to combat extremism and established a working group to assess how these measures are being implemented and what other objectives the Defense Department should undertake. The group has begun meeting and is expected to release a report on its recommendations by mid-July. The Defense Department is also working to update its definition of extremism and improve transition instructions about the dangers posed by extremist groups for individuals leaving the military. These groups often try to recruit former service members on account of their leadership and weapons abilities. Similarly, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas has established a coalition aimed at addressing DVE within the department. DHS, the third-largest government agency, is home to many law enforcement personnel and functions largely outside a direct chain of command structure to the secretary. A former DHS senior official told CBS that this means “even a small number of ‘problematic officers’ can be ‘corrosive’ to the institution at large.”

Restructuring Offices

The Department of Homeland Security has had a busy year already. In addition to its joint report and forthcoming internal review, DHS has implemented a department-wide overhaul. In February, Secretary Mayorkas identified DVE as a National Priority Area, for the first time in department history. He then announced on May 11 that DHS would be closing the Office for Targeted Violence and Terrorism Prevention (OTVTP) and replacing it with the newly established Center for Prevention Programs and Partnerships (CP3). This new center is intended to leverage community relationships in order to empower neighbors, friends, and family to recognize the signs of radicalization and report them to the appropriate authorities. Although it will retain the Targeted Violence and Terrorism Prevention Grants, the CP3 will focus its efforts more toward the local level and pre-radicalization interventions than its predecessor. The OTVTP faced criticism of perceived discrimination and targeting of minorities, especially American Muslims. Biden’s presidential campaign promised to close the OTVTP and “conduct a thorough review of past programs and regularly consult with leaders from historically targeted communities, including Arab Americans, to ensure that civil rights are protected,” before opening new offices such as CP3.

Along with the newly minted CP3, DHS established a new domestic terrorism branch within its Office of Intelligence and Analysis in May. The primary goal of the branch is to improve intelligence gathering on domestic terrorism, especially through social media monitoring. Following Jan. 6, critics lamented that evidence had been in plain sight on public social media postings, arguing that this proved that DHS should have been more prepared. In response, the department is now working to survey social media postings for indications of domestic attacks or DVE-related activities. DHS stresses that the focus is on mass data rather than individuals and that this process is being carried out by analysts instead of algorithms, which would in theory prevent some of the more concerning and untested “extremism predictive” analysis that many of those programs promise. The future of domestic terror intelligence gathering is still uncertain, and civil liberties groups have an abundance of legitimate concerns about this practice. But for now, this social media monitoring initiative indicates an evolving intelligence response to countering domestic terrorism.

The Biden administration is also working alongside Silicon Valley to counter extremism by joining the Christchurch Call to Action to Eliminate Terrorist and Violent Extremist Content Online. The call comes after the March 2019 live-streamed shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand, and serves as a global commitment among governments, nongovernmental organizations, and tech companies to eliminate and counter the proliferation of violent extremist content. Under the Trump administration, the United States had refused to join, citing free speech concerns. Now the United States joins 54 other countries and 10 major tech companies in the call. The tech companies—which include Amazon, Facebook, Google and Twitter—have pledged to transparently outline their community standards and enforce consequences against breaches of those standards whenever necessary. Time will tell if that lofty goal comes to fruition, but the symbolism—that the United States will work with partners abroad as well as at home to fight terrorism—is important.

Increasing Resources

In light of both the events of Jan. 6 and the updated guidance from the national security community, the Biden administration is asking Congress to increase resources to counter the threat. The Department of Justice has requested a total of $85 million in additional funding for programs to investigate, prosecute, counter and police issues pertaining to domestic terrorism. Attorney General Merrick Garland is asking for $45 million to increase funding for FBI domestic terrorism investigations and another $40 million in aid for U.S. attorneys to manage the increasing domestic terrorism caseloads. The FBI is currently undertaking one of its largest investigations in history as it prosecutes those involved in Jan. 6 and will need more money and staffpower to get the job done. Lastly, Garland requested $33 million to help bolster the prosecution of hate crimes.

Garland released new guidelines last month that provide significant updates to the way the federal government investigates and prosecutes DVE. These new guidelines require that any case involving suspected DVE be approved by the National Security Division at the Department of Justice. Main Justice is also responsible for coordinating investigations and tracking relevant data, a novel initiative that aims to streamline prosecutions and enhance domestic terrorism reporting.

Collectively, these new policies make clear that the Biden administration has taken dramatic steps to change both the scope and the direction of American counterterrorism efforts. A strategy document is a significant step and an important marker, but it comes after months of a full-speed sprint. It is clear that structural changes are underway that aim to root out extremism in and out of government, attempt to concentrate efforts more efficiently, and invest in the issue of domestic extremism at a rate that is unprecedented in the United States.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

This was a single data point on how the justice system is dealing with the 1/6 treasoneers. You have someone who plea bargained to a single misdemeanor. She carried no weapons, stole no materials, and have never previously committed a crime. If she goes through their life never committing another crime, then the system works. Yeah, it seems light, but I'm not a federal prosecutor and I don't know anything about their sentencing guidelines except that they're very strict. Hopefully rehabilitative justice works in this case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Hence example number whatever of why it is hard to fight fascists exploiting a liberal democracy while retaining a liberal democracy. It’s hard.

We fought an entire world war over it. To me it is harder to justify the position of not punishing people who were involved with prison time than the contrary, considering we fought an entire world war over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I think what mlmp08 is getting at is more like this:

That Works posted:

:geno: So you were at a rally called "Stop the Steal" that formed on the day the US Senate was set to certify the presidential election?
:geno: And in this crowd there were chants of "Hang Mike Pence" as well as several other politicians who were involved in the certification?
:downs: I don't know
:geno: And you saw the crowd erect a gallows and at numerous places break down police barricades / push back police who were trying to prevent entry into the capitol building?
:downs: no
:geno: So you followed this crowd through the barricade line, walking over broken glass through doors that had been forced open into the capitol building?
:geno: Also, you did this while congress was in session, causing them to delay their lawful duties.

If someone openly admits to going whole hog then that's an easy case. But a lot of people will claim "I was just in the general area, I had nothing to do with the capitol attack" and there's a burden of proof on prosecutors to prove otherwise.