Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Posts that belong in the news thread:

-Actual news
-Discussions of news. "Well I think this could have been averted if the engineer had not overgreased the bearing like a monkey who only knows one trick."
-Debate about news. "I disagree, over-lubbing a shaft bearing is a valid approach if one considers the Engin R DUMB theorem"

Things that don't belong in the news thread:

-Discussing other posters. "Stop licking the engineer's boot you dumb piece of poo poo."
-Ad hominem attack. "I bet you got your engineering license in a trashcan, where you belong, you engineer piece of poo poo."
-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That Afghanistan bomb clip is nuts. That looks like something we would do.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There have been 8 or 9 shootings in the last 7 days in the city of Miami so that's...... a thing.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Waroduce posted:

There have been 8 or 9 shootings in the last 7 days in the city of Miami so that's...... a thing.

Texas arrested a guy, in a shocking turn of events, BEFORE he shot up a Walmart.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I bet op got his engineering license in a trash can, where he belongs, that engineer piece of poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Texas arrested a guy, in a shocking turn of events, BEFORE he shot up a Walmart.

Wow sounds like a violation of civil liberties to me

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just an excitable boy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

Wow sounds like a violation of civil liberties to me

Don't worry, they're going to let him go and give him his guns back when he tells them he was targeting a walmart in a minority dense neighborhood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

Ah yes, Precrime, because Predictive Policing isn't not being heavily abused in places like Chicago and Florida

https://www.vice.com/en/article/d3k5pv/predpol-predictive-policing-broken-windows-theory-chicago-lucy-parsons

https://www.theverge.com/22444020/chicago-pd-predictive-policing-heat-list

https://patch.com/florida/newportrichey/suit-filed-against-pasco-sheriff-use-predictive-policing

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Not really, he was saying that he was going to shoot up a specific walmart, cops actually listened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/31/walmart-shooting-plot-man-arrested-kerrville-texas/5279254001/

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

ASAPI posted:

Not really, he was saying that he was going to shoot up a specific walmart, cops actually listened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/31/walmart-shooting-plot-man-arrested-kerrville-texas/5279254001/

Huh, I wonder which "radical ideology" he had flags and propaganda for...

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

stealie72 posted:

Huh, I wonder which "radical ideology" he had flags and propaganda for...

All of them, actually. Dude is really confused.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I saw a photo this morning of a table laid out with the entire “Customers also bought...” menu you get with The Turner Diaries

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1399718221465464834?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How we doing on that whole evacuating interpretors and collaborators with american forces? Guam about to grow a bit or are my instincts correctly leading me to believe that we're gonna leave them there to be murdered a week after we're out?

E: can we send the cast of that Chuck Lorre show and trade them for actual interpretors? Can we just trade Chuck Lorre for a bunch of interpretors?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 1, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nz going for its own infrastructure week

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

How we doing on that whole evacuating interpretors and collaborators with american forces? Guam about to grow a bit or are my instincts correctly leading me to believe that we're gonna leave them there to be murdered a week after we're out?

E: can we send the cast of that Chuck Lorre show and trade them for actual interpretors? Can we just trade Chuck Lorre for a bunch of interpretors?

Last thing I've seen quoting administration people: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-planning-possible-evacuation-afghan-interpreters-says-top-u-n1268852

It's really unclear if they're going to do your former or your latter. The State Department being involved is a red flag with how hollowed out they are, but theoretically they wouldn't have been hollowed out for warzone poo poo like that. The administration's line is that they want to go fast to get those that want out out, but also don't want to act like the Afghanistan government is toast (lol).

And speaking of someone that has a brain made of toast:

https://twitter.com/BrendanNyhan/status/1399709601227022337?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Uhhhhh, no. Nope. Nonono.

NO.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369?s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

What? I'm sure the engineers that were strong-armed into "just making it happen, ok?" took the potential for competing shearing forces between two opposite tall structures into account when putting an entirely cosmetic bridge filled with a natural gap filler between them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 1, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Last thing I've seen quoting administration people: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-planning-possible-evacuation-afghan-interpreters-says-top-u-n1268852

It's really unclear if they're going to do your former or your latter. The State Department being involved is a red flag with how hollowed out they are, but theoretically they wouldn't have been hollowed out for warzone poo poo like that. The administration's line is that they want to go fast to get those that want out out, but also don't want to act like the Afghanistan government is toast (lol).

The Guam thing is something I heard floated the other day. It's a bullshit stepping stone. Want to say I heard it on a weekend morning newstalk show.

Getting them out would be the right thing to do, sending them to Guam to wait for bureaucracy to sort them out is not. Bring them and their families here, give them green cards, call it growing the economic base to please the corporate daddies. Just do the right loving thing for the people who helped us not trip over our dicks every single time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I look forward to seeing this featured in whatever disaster movie Gerard Butler stars in this year.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I remember this Hitman level.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nz going for its own infrastructure week

That bird is loving FAT.

Or

How to spot the polymorphed dragon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What? I'm sure the engineers that were strong-armed into "just making it happen, ok?" took the potential for competing shearing forces between two opposite tall structures into account when putting an entirely cosmetic bridge filled with a natural gap filler between them.

The key here is putting sarc quotes around “skyscraper”.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The Guam thing is something I heard floated the other day. It's a bullshit stepping stone. Want to say I heard it on a weekend morning newstalk show.

Getting them out would be the right thing to do, sending them to Guam to wait for bureaucracy to sort them out is not. Bring them and their families here, give them green cards, call it growing the economic base to please the corporate daddies. Just do the right loving thing for the people who helped us not trip over our dicks every single time.

I couldn’t agree more. If the Guam thing is truly temporary while a deep vetting process goes on, I won’t be too terribly upset. As long as they’re here on U.S. soil as citizens or on the path to being citizenship I’ll be happy.

There were enough “dirty” (Secretly taliban or aq or sympathetic to them) translators that we honestly need to deep vet these guys and gals, and as quickly as possible.

There was a tier system for translators in Iraq/Afghanistan. I think tier 1 was a fully background checked and top secret security clearance holding translator. I think citizenship may have been a thing about that too. Tier 3 was just a local that knows how to speak English and is approved at the company/battalion level.

There were like several dozen Tier 3 terps for every tier 1 terp. I may have gotten the tier system wrong, it may be tier 3 is the cleared and 1 is the locally sourced/approved tier.

I don’t remember what tier 2 was. Maybe it was a secret clearance holding terp. It’s been a long time since I did that stuff- but my point is, a number of these terps are already cleared, so we should in theory have no issue with directly transplanting them in the U.S., that poo poo needs to happen yesterday.

I really hope that it’s a fast process, I do. I also want it to be a thorough process. But no need to redo it for the Tier 1/2 guys.

As far as informants and collaborators? I honestly don’t know. We didn’t deal with a ton of informants, but more than a few of the ones we did were some serious bullshit. I’m not sure where I fall with that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Just an excitable boy

collapse status: send lawyers, guns, and money

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

The key here is putting sarc quotes around “skyscraper”.

That fall would likely be a death sentence either way.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Going out in a splash.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Worrier King is here for the Zevon chat.

E- if you were on Balad around 06, you may have seen my ghetto petty vandalism of a much simpler version.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, I did not draw enough shithouse dicks during my time on Anaconda. If I have one regret, it's not drawing more dicks on things on deployment.

But I crucified a stuffed ketchup bottle toy, so I feel a little better about my legacy with that. Just crazy. Why make a stuffed toy of a anthropomorphized ketchup bottle? Feel like I did a service to the world for nailing that thing to a wall.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You know what I hate? Merchant marine engineers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know what I hate? Merchant marine engineers

Chief Makoi is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6vxJIDISQU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Do you know what I hated? That stupid loving surveillance balloon on our fob. I wanted to shoot it every day.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Do you know what I hated? That stupid loving surveillance balloon on our fob. I wanted to shoot it every day.
So you could have a HIMARS or two dropped on your head like the locals got when they did the same?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Hekk posted:

So you could have a HIMARS or two dropped on your head like the locals got when they did the same?

Nah, it was just an idle object of hate.

E: I also talked with the guys who worked it pretty often and hearing them complain about it was funny. Also someone crashed a small drone and someone decided to bring it in the toc where it made everything smell like fuel.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 1, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We had an Eye of Mordor on a post at one camp I lived at.

The only thing is was ever used for was for was spotting uniform violations by the FOB CSM. I wish that was a loving joke. Anytime we called for actual support, they can't see poo poo more than I can, but if you took off your loving helmet before you got in the truck, there Shitsucker 9 Romeo asking you why within 1 minute.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1399778692780412935?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Memories of South Vietnam after the US pulled out coming back. Nothing we can do about it either, really.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wow. Who could have ever predicted this would go exactly as the experts predicted.

There are gonna some Soviet Vets laughing their asses off, drunk as gently caress that we got the same ending as they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/mpopv/status/1399793647139233792?s=19

Eventually businesses will figure out that it costs less to manage their IT properly and spend money on it, but eventually is not today.