Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RFC2324 posted:

bend them outward, file them down/snip them off, and them coat them in some kind of epoxy ball I would think

I'll have to do that tomorrow.

also, the spottier/braver of the two spot/hotot has joined the rub game. she likes getting extended time (5+ min) rubs. She is small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

https://youtu.be/DyjmHzYfmWE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
these buns are such snoozy bears! I love them so!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Terraforming your living room into a warren of cocoa puffs and hay. The way it's meant to be. :3:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I should get him in fifa, hes so good at flopping

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
a fourth bun has hit the Comboomer. I repeat, a fourth bun has hit the Comboomer.

Breeder reached out at the end of last week about an adoption that fell through—a tortoiseshell dutch—and asked if I’d be interested in trying to speed date her with the new trio as it would be the last of that age cohort and the last I’d be hearing from her for a while.

I hadn’t been seeing any behavioral issues or fighting so far, but it was also pretty clear that the two sisters prioritized each other’s company over the third.

So off we went early this morning, second car ride was great, many apple snacks were had. To sum it up, the meet-cute was the stuff rabbit bonding dreams are made of and they’re currently all snoozing in a big pile. There was basically zero shyness, she came up and started grooming everybody and the black Dutch pretty much immediately claimed her, and then everybody started binkying and flipping out like crazy, it was beautiful. There seemed to be enthusiastic fondness from/for everybody.

Car ride back was also great. She rode separately. Introducing her to the enclosure went swimmingly, everybody remained thrilled. Black Dutch reasserted her dominance over the new bun and over everybody else, at one point going in a circle from bun to bun as they ate together and groomed each other. She and the new rabbit are already acting very close, as a subgroup within the group, which is what I hoped for.

The dominant hotot has also tried to assert herself, which the new bun was less keen on. There appears to be a bit of jockeying for second place among the three, but so far zero violence or aggression. In fact, every time I worry there might be they just start playing a game or one of them flops or binkies.and the others follow. Is this what it looks like when animals size each other up through sport?

They’ve all spent a few hours littering together, using all of the various amenities, and playing their various games—seriously, she’s learned like all three of their games already—and now they’re tuckered out for the moment. She also appears to be a very enthusiastic pat bun, so we’ll have to see how this shakes out. (Before anybody asks, of course I have a separate cage for her, just in case, and I’ll probably put her to bed in it at least for the next few days).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 14, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OMFG these rabbits are all so happy, they’re so happy about everything, they just got a clean towel and they’re thrilled, I love them all so much

brown bun is quickly winning my favor, holy poo poo what a sweetheart. This rabbit was bred to love humans and be remarkably chill. New pat game champion.

Black bun wants to groom me but she is very rough with her teeth. Also she keeps going for my feet before seemingly deciding that they smell too much :shrug:

so far I love all of my new children

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Update: these buns are all perfect I love them so much :3::3::3::3::3::3: such well-tempered and behaved foofs :3::3::3::3::3::3: such loving and tender babbs :3::3::3::3::3::3:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

The Walrus posted:

Buy a Bissell Perfect Sweep electric sweeper. In fact, every single person in this thread who has rabbits should own one.

Months late, but I just wanted to say thank you for the recommendation. I bought one last week and have been using it every day. It's awesome at collecting hay on the ground and it's quiet enough to not disturb my rabbits.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

I am loving reading about the comboomber bunnies

Even the non electric versions of those sweepers are great, struggle with hay but great for poops

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Will that Bissell pick up the weird hay dust that accumulates or just the big pieces?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
It doesn't have any suction so it might miss the dust, but from what I've seen it picks up everything. I use it to tidy up what my rabbits drag out of their litter boxes every day, but I still use a real vacuum when I'm actually cleaning.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Might have to pick one of those up for daily spot cleaning, I've gotten so good at maintaining my regular vacuum cleaner thanks to the rabbits I should open my own repair shop but it'd be nice to not have to subject it to so much abuse.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I literally just had to interrupt my weekly deep clean to figure out how to disassemble and fix my vacuum an hour ago. the hose had completely clogged with fur and hay bits

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

you know the thing about a giant bunny? she can stand up and tap you in your chair when you have the grapes she loves so very much

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pics or it didn't happen (ok just post pics)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mystes posted:

Pics or it didn't happen (ok just post pics)

I'm bad at action pics but at one point she was standing up resting her chin on my armrest

I want to say they are in the running for goodest of bunnies with comboomers quad, but I just had to steam clean their rug for the 3rd week in a row

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mystes
May 31, 2006

Very good bunnies

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

knock on wood, but the Sacrifice of Flesh appears to have been accepted. they continue to be perfect.

the only time they’ve thumped was when I separated out the newest bun on Monday night, and they’ve been together ever since I relented. I’ll probably tear down the spare cage tomorrow, I think I can call it.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
oh my god it's so adorable

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

knock on wood, but the Sacrifice of Flesh appears to have been accepted. they continue to be perfect.

Mate, I don’t want to alarm you but this is Cerbunus guarding the entrance to Haydes.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I can't even imagine the sheer amount of poop that would accumulate if you let it go for even like half a day. I'm consistently amazed just at the amount created by one tiny holland lop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I can't even imagine the sheer amount of poop that would accumulate if you let it go for even like half a day. I'm consistently amazed just at the amount created by one tiny holland lop.

honestly so far I’ve been doing once daily cage cleanings and changing out the litter box between every other day to every 2-3 days and it’s been fine.

If somebody were digging out the litter box that would be a very different story, but currently I’m operating on the assumption that if I keep the cage and box mostly clean that I’ll be rewarded with rabbits that play ball and don’t exclusively poo poo and piss on the floor, or throw their poo poo and piss all over the place to punish me.

In terms of cleaning every day the volume is definitely greater, but it’s also definitely a step up from my old trio who were much bigger rabbits with apparently much worse, more ingrained toilet habits.

If I let it accumulate over 3+ days it would quickly metastasize, but as it is it’s probably a 7 or 10 minute job instead of like a 5 minute job if I only had one or two buns. I know that sounds weird to say, since you’re physically doing the labor yourself and it’s literally multiple times as many rabbits (and therefore multiple times as much poop), but it’s one of those situations where the initial act of labor (ie wiping the cage once or twice, picking up one or two handfuls of poop) carries a lot more weight than the additional work (ie an additional one or two handfuls of poop). Kind of like how if you run the dishwasher every single night it kind of doesn’t matter whether you load it up 50%, 75%, or 100%.

TLDR- it’s super not “four times as much work”

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, the real effort cleaning seems to be getting over the hurdle of starting, and doing it with them just makes that fun. I love how aghast they get that i am moving their stuff around.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Also, is it common to have to ban certain treats because it makes them aggressive? Delilah ended up getting mean over the grapes yesterday, yanking out chunks of Dajours fur and nipping at me looking for them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So we uh, got new buns

This is Harrison

And this is Hieronymus (Who has already escaped the enclosure twice)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So we uh, got new buns

This is Harrison

And this is Hieronymus (Who has already escaped the enclosure twice)

good for you, dude. That’s what pets are for. I waited way too long to get new rabs

Edit: get a Mf’ing water replendish instead of having to deal with multiple bowls. They’re pricey (like $20-30 at your avg PetsFart) but sooooo worth it. You refill 1-2x per week and it rules and the rabbits are mega hydrated.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The 4 bowls are for food. Two for pellets two for fresh greens(one for each bun). We do have both a water bowl and water bottle but also I will see about getting one of those from the local, independent pet store near us

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
All right. Talk me out of bringing home the feral kitten that showed up at my friend's house. I have one very chill 8lb rabbit. Can you get cats to 100% follow a "friends, not food" paradigm if you get them on track early?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volkova III posted:

All right. Talk me out of bringing home the feral kitten that showed up at my friend's house. I have one very chill 8lb rabbit. Can you get cats to 100% follow a "friends, not food" paradigm if you get them on track early?

I didn't do any early work with my cat and he sees the bunnies as toys at worst. I've never seen him try to hurt them, just scare them.

Obviously every cat is different, but from everything I hear its really not hard to pair them

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

do not mix prey animals and predators thank you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

clear eyes full farts posted:

do not mix prey animals and predators thank you

Guess we shouldn't be keeping rabbits then, since we are both apex predators in a general sense and also direct predators of rabbits who eat them

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

House rabbit society encouraged me to get bunnies with my cat, and thought my caution was silly, so I'm not so sure thats the best advice. There were a ton of caveats, but it came down to 'you know if your cat is too much of a hunter, but house bunnies usually win that encounter'

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you were the size of a mouse or songbird, a cat would happily eat you, doesn't matter how smart or stern you are. Cats relate to us the way that they do because of our size more than anything else.

I'm not saying "leave a cat with some baby bunnies" (and even those interactions can be socialized and the cat will see the rabbits like weird hopping kittens in short order), but any rabbit over like three pounds isn't going to be seen as prey by a cat

This also assumes that rabbits can't play aggressively or do social violence, both of which are untrue.

The worst thing that happens is that one animal tries to fight/play with the other and the response leads to tragedy (ie, cat seriously injures rabbit or rabbit seriously injures cat), but that's one of those things that you figure out on an individual basis, same as trying to house two rabbits together, or a rabbit and human for that matter.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

More than once my 13lbs cat has come running out of the room the bunnies hang out in with his tail between his legs.

And I'm pretty sure its the smaller of the two, a 7-8lbs REW, who is running him off

When they interact keep an eye out for claws, the only real issue I was warned about is claws cutting delicate rabbit skin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

More than once my 13lbs cat has come running out of the room the bunnies hang out in with his tail between his legs.

And I'm pretty sure its the smaller of the two, a 7-8lbs REW, who is running him off

When they interact keep an eye out for claws, the only real issue I was warned about is claws cutting delicate rabbit skin

And bulbous rabbit eyes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I didn't comment on that jist because it seems obvious.

On that note, be prepared to clip you cat claws pretty regularly. Probably every 2 weeks minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
gently caress, gently caress, gently caress. My pets never get sick unless it's a Sunday or a holiday, so I should have known.

I went in to feed Bert and Ernie this morning and Ernie was bobbing his head, twitching his eye, and spinning in circles. I figured pretty quickly that it must be something like head tilt or an inner ear infection. I was afraid nobody would see him today, so in a panic I gave him a few drops of tresaderm.

Fortunately, I found a vet I'd seen before that was open today. This is also my usual day of the week to vacuum out their pen, and the day of the month we'd chosen for nail clipping, gland cleaning, and checking their teeth, so the vet got them at their dirtiest and sheddiest.

His weight, teeth, and heart rate are all okay. The doctor also said she doesn't see any other symptoms of ear infection, and no head tilt, but she spotted the nystagmus right away. We put him on a towel on the floor to observe his hosed up equilibrium, but he just explored the room like he normally would (after I pulled him out of the carrier where he was hiding with Bert). She gave him an injection to stimulate appetite and relax his digestion, and I took them home and vacuumed up their space before I put them back in.

He's still bobbing his head and squinting when he sits or lies still, but he's not running in tight circles any more, just exploring his pen like they always do after I clean it. I just watched him eat a romaine leaf and a little hay, so no apparent nausea or loss of appetite.

Have any of you ever heard of a "mandibular episode?" Apparently sometimes rabbits just do this, and it can be because of anything from a bonk on the head while playing to a stroke or some neurological problem. It could be related to whatever makes him more prone to sneezing and sinus infections, or not. The vet told me to call if he's still spinning in circles, and they gave me a number where I can send them pictures or video. I did that just to keep track of things so here they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7YLV2vMjeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcnzQT2VvYU