Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

didn’t grant go hard with the anti racism in one of the blood on the sand episodes because people were being lovely in the thread or comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Chip and Ironicus are two of the best LPers (and also Voidburger) and I say that without a trace of hyperbole.

Edit: ^^^ I seem to recall that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just rewatched the 50 Cent LP a couple weeks ago on a whim and yeah, it holds up. The only stuff of Chip's that doesn't is the really old stuff when he was trying to be budget Retsupurae.

Also thankfully all of their Anime Theatre episodes were rescued on Internet Archive which is good because their Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned riff is modern high art.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Not gonna lie I still love the Pacman retsuprae where the LPer not just sucks at a mediocre platformer, but then takes a phonecall mid-recording and leaves the entire thing in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

Not gonna lie I still love the Pacman retsuprae where the LPer not just sucks at a mediocre platformer, but then takes a phonecall mid-recording and leaves the entire thing in.

I understand why guys like them and Retsupurae would rather not be associated with that kinda humor anymore especially with how vile and toxic the internet gaming community is and all, but man there truly were some absolute gems

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i completely understand why they moved on from that stuff because people are loving horrible about not harassing people, but man we’re there some incredible stuff there

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

sexpig by night posted:

I understand why guys like them and Retsupurae would rather not be associated with that kinda humor anymore especially with how vile and toxic the internet gaming community is and all, but man there truly were some absolute gems

The biggest problem with Retsupurae is that it was just them making the same jokes over and over again about the low production quality of LPs.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

The guy playing a Sonic romhack as his computer melts is still one of the funniest things I've seen online

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I think The F Plus is about as big/popular as any internet thing with an element of "point out some craziness" can get before even the most good-natured of point-and-gawk gets amplified in the audience's echo chamber and turns into something ugly. At that point you then have to decide if you're going to just focus on deserving targets (like actual scumbags/nazis/con artists/etc) and be as thorough as possible to make sure that you are getting everything right, or move on to something different. Given how much work HBomb has to do now with his "A Measured Response" videos to avoid any potential lawsuits, moving on is often a smarter choice. (Plus, most of the time people are just wanting to create something fun and not launch a moral crusade.)

EDIT:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The biggest problem with Retsupurae is that it was just them making the same jokes over and over again about the low production quality of LPs.

Retsupurae's best stuff was definitely later, when the were looking at Kickstarter videos and the zany designs of Dahir Insaat.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Slowbeef and TieTuesday losing their poo poo watching knock-off Mickey Mouse videos was some peak comedy.

YO GOOFY GOT A BADONK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bowser's Evil Test and anything with BillyMC were highlights of Retsupurae for me. Their longplay riffs were good too, Deep Fear, the Alone in the Dark games are entertaining.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the f-plus and extra credit podcasts are very good about focusing on 'this is fuckin gross/weird' and not 'you're a bad person for liking this' unless they're specifically talking about hosed up poo poo like a guy being all 'I found a way to force my kink on a friend, yay!'

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

sexpig by night posted:

yea the f-plus and extra credit podcasts are very good about focusing on 'this is fuckin gross/weird' and not 'you're a bad person for liking this' unless they're specifically talking about hosed up poo poo like a guy being all 'I found a way to force my kink on a friend, yay!'

True. But if The F Plus or Extra Credit ever started getting into the 500k downloads per episode territory, even their best attempts to keep the audience civil would fail.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

My favorite Retsupure will always be that one where the LPer modded himself into the game (Fire Emblem iirc) and made his avatar confess his undying love for another character :allears:

Then that same LPer made that pokemon LP where they talked to the protagonist and also voiced the protagonist talking back :stare:

Genuinely the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in an LP

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the fplus is extremely gross often enough that they managed to avoid getting a big enough audience to start stirring a substantial amount of poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

please stop playing I Wanna Be The Guy

Veotax
May 16, 2006

watho posted:

yeah i completely understand why they moved on from that stuff because people are loving horrible about not harassing people, but man we’re there some incredible stuff there

"My answer will be less than ten minutes because that is the Youtube limit" is a joke that constantly pops into my head all the loving time. And it kind of shows how loving long ago this was, how long has it been since Youtube pretty much lifted the video length limits?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Veotax posted:

"My answer will be less than ten minutes because that is the Youtube limit" is a joke that constantly pops into my head all the loving time. And it kind of shows how loving long ago this was, how long has it been since Youtube pretty much lifted the video length limits?

more than a decade at this point

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Jamie Faith posted:

My favorite Retsupure will always be that one where the LPer modded himself into the game (Fire Emblem iirc) and made his avatar confess his undying love for another character :allears:

Then that same LPer made that pokemon LP where they talked to the protagonist and also voiced the protagonist talking back :stare:

Sudden violent memories came flashing back thank you.

Oh god his self-insert portrait was also the most potato-shaped boring guy as well like c'mon my dude go full loving power fanta-

... that dude predicted Isekai.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

My favorites were their Kickstarter Nonstarters series, where they made fun of projects that ranged from just plain stupid to utterly incomprehensible. I’m glad Slope’s Game Room picked up the torch when it came to mocking terrible crowdfunding projects because that’s a very rich vein of comedy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

watho posted:

the fplus is extremely gross often enough that they managed to avoid getting a big enough audience to start stirring a substantial amount of poo poo

see that's the secret, gotta slip in a bug fucker episode in between the normal 'vore?????' types to spook the big crowds away and keep things from getting too crazy!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mean you can’t talk retsupurae without mentioning their darkseed 2 wrongplay, just a transcendental piece of media

sexpig by night posted:

see that's the secret, gotta slip in a bug fucker episode in between the normal 'vore?????' types to spook the big crowds away and keep things from getting too crazy!

you need to throw in a story of someone getting their urethra sealed shut by the heat of an exhaust pipe once in a while to keep the weirdos away

watho fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 16, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Bakeneko posted:

My favorites were their Kickstarter Nonstarters series, where they made fun of projects that ranged from just plain stupid to utterly incomprehensible. I’m glad Slope’s Game Room picked up the torch when it came to mocking terrible crowdfunding projects because that’s a very rich vein of comedy.

Yeah, the Kickstarter Nonstarters series was great too. :discourse: I still go back and watch thru the entire playlist of it every now and then

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bakeneko posted:

My personal favourite is any time they reacted to a Dahir Insaat 'product'.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
snes9X

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

While I understand Chip and Ironicus wanting to move away from their old RPs, I'll be forever sad that "who IS a pokemon in this crazy world??" is gone

watho posted:

i mean you can’t talk retsupurae without mentioning their darkseed 2 wrongplay, just a transcendental piece of media

It's absolutely unreal how by the magic of sheer longplayer incompetence, a 2.5 hour video game about loser Mike Dawson became a 7 hour video game about the most pathetic and stupid human being to ever exist

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I seem to remember that the guy who did the longplay was called "ADDGames4Ever" so I guess he must have been playing the game in a certain put-on style. I mean, I hope so because MY GOD

In any case, it did help to make Mike Dawson even more wimpy and generally bloody annoying and we wouldn't have "HA YOU MISSED PAL" without it. I loved it when Slowbeef purposefully edited that in for Mike's final, successful ring toss. Mike Dawson will NEVER complete the ring toss.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll never be able to get ElectricalBeast calling himself the "Jolteon of Let's Plays" instead of the "giant" despite that making more sense and sounding like what he says out of my mind.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kim Justice posted:

I seem to remember that the guy who did the longplay was called "ADDGames4Ever" so I guess he must have been playing the game in a certain put-on style. I mean, I hope so because MY GOD

That's a looooooooooong time to keep a bit going though.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jamie Faith posted:

https://twitter.com/mageknight404/status/1404896303495237639

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

you fogot "dude from Europe(usually irish) talks about hosed up crimes/murders that happened in the use while sprinkling corny humor".

nice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there's literally no video more funny than HELL BED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTSx0RvwEM

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Ambition series is my personal favorite, because of the insane twists and turns it takes, including having a suicide bomber turn into the intended hero

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

This was good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The adventures of Guy Kazama is still one of my favorite long plays they did, just the slow burn of them being ever more amused by Guy's constant promotions into ever weirder ranks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Someday somebody will realize The Rescuers was the best Disney movie. Someday.

And yes, I prefer it to Down Under. Down Under is scary. I want my funny hillbilly animals, not scary poacher man feeding kids to crocodiles.

But yeah, of course Bernard and Bianca fall in love quickly, and I'm glad Lindsay talks about "falling in love" vs "actually getting married." Notably, Bernard and Bianca don't get married until the sequel, or engaged rather.

But the point is it's a fuckin' movie and a common feature of drat near every movie ever with romance and action is you gotta keep up the pace in both action and romance. It's not antifeminist to fall in love immediately or in a week, it's just the way the story has to be told.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's actually Sword in the Stone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sexpig by night posted:

there's literally no video more funny than HELL BED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTSx0RvwEM

The worst is the blood clot video. Watching the Thunderbird's drill machine crawling around blood veins freaks me the gently caress out.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sydin posted:

The adventures of Guy Kazama is still one of my favorite long plays they did, just the slow burn of them being ever more amused by Guy's constant promotions into ever weirder ranks.

Fullarmor Guy

I still revisit a bunch of Retsupurae's old videos with some degree of regularity. Two other classics that haven't been mentioned yet: The Wrongpurae of King's Quest V (Featuring the adventures of a bodybuilder with hoarding disorders) and the Jurassic Park Arcade Game ("WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO GET OUT OF HERE IS-AAAAGH!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

While I understand Chip and Ironicus wanting to move away from their old RPs, I'll be forever sad that "who IS a pokemon in this crazy world??" is gone

i dunno if it's among these, but just in case you didn't know about this, somebody reuploaded several Chip RPs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4HoICBflTyu9pwqsD50kg/videos

Also when I was looking through RP's channel for their most popular vids to see if I had missed anything, I came across this solo effort by Diabetus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvhceQWlAo

It is really is an amazing time capsule.