Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What does this mean

I read it as meaning that dealerships are bleeding staff to places that pay a living wage and are going to be so short-staffed work will be backlogged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

What about an iPad, if you stay with the company for 6 months?

How about a 200 dollar voucher for their products as your five year bonus

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What does this mean

You missed the most important part of the sentence, "Techs are FLEEING dealerships...".

There's no left to fix your car, it's gonna sit there for a while until they get someone to come around trained to fix it. And it's not just losing bodies, it's losing techs that know how to do specific tasks with specific equipment.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bondematt posted:

You missed the most important part of the sentence, "Techs are FLEEING dealerships...".

There's no left to fix your car, it's gonna sit there for a while until they get someone to come around trained to fix it. And it's not just losing bodies, it's losing techs that know how to do specific tasks with specific equipment.

Is it just me or are an increasing number of the folks high up in companies just completely disdainful of the idea of hands-on experience being valuable and worth preserving?

The company I'm leaving binned a dude with more than a decade of industry outreach experience who had turned down a phenomenal amount of job offers to keep working for them. Just threw him out without even the benefit of an exit interview, just a bye bye email and a sad face in the company-wide announcement.

The industry outreach guy. The guy with all of the contacts and all of the industry insider connections and all of the personal friendships with people about three down from the top, carefully cultivated over more than a decade in the industry and carefully preserved and entrenched during his tenure with us. The guy who could single-handedly ruin a company's reputation with basically the entire industry if he chose to do so, and the guy everyone, and I mean everyone, in the industry has heard of and has heard that he was hosed over by the company. That guy.

We're a training institution. Guest speaker numbers are way the gently caress down.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Somfin posted:

We get $25 gift cards.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Somfin posted:

Is it just me or are an increasing number of the folks high up in companies just completely disdainful of the idea of hands-on experience being valuable and worth preserving?

The company I'm leaving binned a dude with more than a decade of industry outreach experience who had turned down a phenomenal amount of job offers to keep working for them. Just threw him out without even the benefit of an exit interview, just a bye bye email and a sad face in the company-wide announcement.

The industry outreach guy. The guy with all of the contacts and all of the industry insider connections and all of the personal friendships with people about three down from the top, carefully cultivated over more than a decade in the industry and carefully preserved and entrenched during his tenure with us. The guy who could single-handedly ruin a company's reputation with basically the entire industry if he chose to do so, and the guy everyone, and I mean everyone, in the industry has heard of and has heard that he was hosed over by the company. That guy.

We're a training institution. Guest speaker numbers are way the gently caress down.

Execs have absolutely zero clue what their staff does. Probably even people working 2 or 3 managers under them.

My current CEO is doing a hilarious thing where he's trying to FOMO people into coming into the office with random breakfast/lunch days. Oh hooraaaay, if I drive 20 miles each way 5 days a week I have the chance at TWO FREE MEALS A WEEK!

Or I could work from home and take a nap on lunch, tough call really.

Edit: And our company just went 100% Flexible WFH forever on all jobs that can, and he had to deliver the message lol. So like accounting and facilities has one or two people in office a day on a rotating schedule.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 15, 2021

Mantle
May 15, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

We get $25 gift cards.

I got a $50 gift card to a bunch of restaurant experiences like Montana's as a taxable benefit. It cost me about $15.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Spatial posted:

That talented customer team with the medical device project did some fun things which really caught management off guard. They got wise to the bullshit after a while, and they loved to arrive in a regular update meeting and present some massive showstopping issue with no forewarning, with an incredibly detailed analysis so it couldn't be denied or bullshitted around.

Their measurements of our device were dramatically better than ours, and we actually made the thing and had dedicated staff to do it early on. They eventually wound up giving us their measurement setup to measure our own designs properly. How humiliating is that lmao

It was really funny to see the company getting owned so hard, managers were literally dripping with sweat in the meetings sometimes. I had to contain myself from laughing out loud quite often because I love a black comedy.
I feel robbed of that experience. My company had such high turnover at every level including upper management that no one was around long enough to suffer consequences. In 4 years we had 3 different directors and 4 different general managers. Maybe management was avoiding taking responsibility by shuffling around.

The company we merged with was in the process of losing 100% of their contracts. They played doublespeak with regulations and made company policy that violated those regulations. They would pretend their cost-cutting policy was still compliant with regulations or exempt from them. They did this with EPA regulations, CARB regulations, OSHA regulations, FAA regulations. Airline auditors tend to focus on how well workers follow policy, one would hope that written company policy isn't directly violating safety standards. Still only takes one good auditor to catch them. The company racked up so many violations that the airport banned them from negotiating or renewing contracts for 3 years - effectively kicking the company out.

But wait! They were in the process of merging with us! We had a monopoly on aircraft fueling at our base so that's what they took over. They kept doing their pseudo-safety & compliance and they kept getting caught. Right up until I left we were losing airline after airline. A baggage company and a cabin cleaning company now service aircraft fueling for half the gates.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bondematt posted:

Execs have absolutely zero clue what their staff does. Probably even people working 2 or 3 managers under them.

"Surely they're not stupid enough to think that firing the industry outreach guy with no warning and immense bad blood will have no repercussions," I thought, a dumb child.

Now I am still a dumb child but I know enough not to think that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bondematt posted:

I got the fleeing part, it's just "switching to a quality of life model" is such an odd way to phrase "paying a living wage" or whatever that I wondered if it had a particular meaning in industry.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pyrtanis posted:

lmao they never care and are never honest

It's weird, I think my current place does care. We've moved up double digit places on the Forbes Top 100 Place To Work survey just in the two that came out since I became an FTE. Whatever they're putting in the company Kool Aide seems to be working.

It was really creepy for the first six months or so on campus. everyone was so nice. I was starting to worry, "Is this a cult ?" It's uncanny still, but I've gotten used to just accepting that anyone I have to deal with will be well-adjusted, a team player, and interested in the success of the organization as a whole and its patients. Any time I meet someone from HR or Recruiting I make a point of telling them that however they're screening for culture fit, it's working.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've been offered a new job! I am fully aware that I'll end up having the same/similar problems at the new place because all companies are, in the end, the same. But this place want to pay me an extra £15-20k for the trouble so gently caress it!

This is going to cause a perfect storm of trouble at my current company though. This is now 4 people from the same chain leaving right around the same time. I wonder if they'll look at the reasons why (lol of course they won't).

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

mllaneza posted:

It's weird, I think my current place does care. We've moved up double digit places on the Forbes Top 100 Place To Work survey just in the two that came out since I became an FTE. Whatever they're putting in the company Kool Aide seems to be working.

It was really creepy for the first six months or so on campus. everyone was so nice. I was starting to worry, "Is this a cult ?" It's uncanny still, but I've gotten used to just accepting that anyone I have to deal with will be well-adjusted, a team player, and interested in the success of the organization as a whole and its patients. Any time I meet someone from HR or Recruiting I make a point of telling them that however they're screening for culture fit, it's working.

My current job is like this. I like it so much that I'm afraid to actually admit it just in case it turns out to be secretly terrible.

Here is what I love about it:

My boss is in the US, I am in Amsterdam. Although he doesn't seem like a micromanager, the time difference keeps us comfortably separated.
No weekly status meetings - the management team knows how to use all the same software that we use to track everything so they can get their own status reports. I don't have to waste time every week preparing a powerpoint deck for a pointless, stressful meeting.
I work on internal products so there's no pressure to sell
My team is self-contained and largely self managing, we do a good job and people leave us alone.
I've never set foot in the office

It's going on 8 months and I'm still having a good time. I'll wait for a year before I make my final judgement but so far so good.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Somfin posted:

Didn't Blizzard do something like this? I think they recently gave employees store credit to Battle.net as severance.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
LMAO my huge global mega corp company (that I'm leaving this week) is still trying to make going back to an office look cool and good and fun and awesome and great.

Meanwhile tons of people are leaving, even a couple people with no new job lined up because gently caress going back to an office if you don't have to. All these programmer nerds and other people on their teams have proven for over a year that we can be just as productive if not moreso and there's a year of data to back it up but nope, all the C levels are workaholic assholes who want to be in an office but they don't want to be there alone so now every level of management under them has to sing the praises of being back in the office even if it's obvious they're lying.

And of course another huge unspoken reason is that we need to get back those sweet tax credits we get for having a certain amount of office occupancy.

Just lmao at this whole stupid thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Gin_Rummy posted:

Didn't Blizzard do something like this? I think they recently gave employees store credit to Battle.net as severance.

I'd log in every day while job hunting to spend a few hours telling everyone how poo poo Blizzard is as a company.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
All covid, where we have been successfully working from home:
"Going forward we will have a work from anywhere program, a hybrid system where you can work between 0-5 days at home!"

Today:

"Hey guys,

Just got off a monthly meeting with senior management and I asked what our plans where for coming back to the office.

They said that we should all be planning to be back to office full time in September. No hybrid at this time."

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's gonna be fun on day 1 when nobody goes in.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

manpurse posted:

"Going forward we will have a work from anywhere program, a hybrid system where you can work between 0-5 days at home!"

Today:

"Hey guys,

Just got off a monthly meeting with senior management and I asked what our plans where for coming back to the office.

They said that we should all be planning to be back to office full time in September. No hybrid at this time."

My company is super OK with sucking the government dry for overpriced warcrime machines, donating to the PACs of politicians who openly advocated for the overturning of the presidential election and taking every step possible to bust our manufacturing floor unions but even our executives know forcing us back into the office if we don't want to be there would be unforgiveable and would cause a bunch of people to run away screaming.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can't go back to the office if the office burns to the ground. *Taps head with road flare*

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

manpurse posted:

Today:

"Hey guys,

Lol, the executives who work 100% remote because they're too important and busy to be expected to commute one WHOLE HOUR and are expecting a lot of us to just go back to being in the office five days a week have been getting scorched in our surveys and townhalls.

It won't change anything but it feels good.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ever notice how their home offices are furnished by the company?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ever notice how their home offices are furnished by the company?

So is mine tbh. I got the tech, I got the chair, I was offered a desk but declined.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

goatface posted:

So is mine tbh. I got the tech, I got the chair, I was offered a desk but declined.

Our execs have giant expensive L-desks, leather chairs (still ergo chairs so like 10k) and book cases, along with a company standard locking file cabinet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
:lmao:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-turnover-worker-shortage-2021-6

The site they’re launching that I’m supposed to be working at is down a full shift worth of people because no one wants to work there. They keep blaming unemployment benefits and not the fact that every warehouse, poo poo, every employer in the area pays better isn’t such a bad workplace that it makes the news on the regular.

Sadly the shift they’re down is the one I was originally scheduled for so they’re putting me on a hosed up frankenshift. I wanted to put a year in for resume/not paying back my sign on bonus purposes but I’m contemplating sending in my resignation in the next few weeks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So they can either treat their employees better or double down on robots. I wonder which one they'll do?
:thunk:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Imagined posted:

So they can either treat their employees better or double down on robots. I wonder which one they'll do?
:thunk:

They can also lobby the government to make life so untenable for people that they have no choice to work in increasingly inhumane conditions

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:lmao:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-turnover-worker-shortage-2021-6

The site they’re launching that I’m supposed to be working at is down a full shift worth of people because no one wants to work there. They keep blaming unemployment benefits and not the fact that every warehouse, poo poo, every employer in the area pays better isn’t such a bad workplace that it makes the news on the regular.

Sadly the shift they’re down is the one I was originally scheduled for so they’re putting me on a hosed up frankenshift. I wanted to put a year in for resume/not paying back my sign on bonus purposes but I’m contemplating sending in my resignation in the next few weeks.

It's so weird that if you find competitors that pay more money hourly they seem to hire better talent and retain that talent. poo poo is crazy. It's almost like if you pump the capitalism brakes a smidge, your problems get solved.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

vyst posted:

It's so weird that if you find competitors that pay more money hourly they seem to hire better talent and retain that talent. poo poo is crazy. It's almost like if you pump the capitalism brakes a smidge, your problems get solved.

Yeah, it's almost like capitalism as a force does not give one single poo poo employment availability shifts from supply to demand and companies need to adjust to that poo poo or fail.

Also, how many of the companies that regularly have their hands out for government subsidies and tax breaks and market regulation to keep them afloat are also the companies complaining bitterly about government subsidised payments for workers? What's that? All of them? Lol.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

They can also lobby the government to make life so untenable for people that they have no choice to work in increasingly inhumane conditions

sorry folks but it’s gonna be this.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Our company just posted the eNPS score from the recent survey. 19! The scores broken down by department were -14, -7, 7, 77, with the final score being from corporate. They even posted all of the anonymous comments submitted including ones calling out low pay, the company's joke of a survey pretending they might change their mind about letting people continue working from home (but culture!), and calling out the owner for hiring his daughter and promoting her to a top position after laying off 30 people over the past year.

They also addressed how so many people were worried due to the number of departures so far this year (to companies that would let them work from home) by saying that they knew stuff like that would happen based on studies they had seen. But I guess when your mind is made up about making people come back to the office, why try to stop the hemorrhaging of employees who've been here up to a decade or more?

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Whenever you get to a video meeting late make sure to apologise loudly even if the meeting has already started and someone else is in the middle of a sentence.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Atillo posted:

Whenever you get to a video meeting late make sure to apologise loudly even if the meeting has already started and someone else is in the middle of a sentence.
If you have a better way for a middle management email/slack message forwarder to demonstrate their value, I'd like to hear it!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Atillo posted:

Spies from other companies will often join your daily status update teleconference/videoconference so make sure to ALWAYS set the option that plays a beep and the person's name when they join.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

GI_Clutch posted:

Our company just posted the eNPS score from the recent survey. 19! The scores broken down by department were -14, -7, 7, 77, with the final score being from corporate. They even posted all of the anonymous comments submitted including ones calling out low pay, the company's joke of a survey pretending they might change their mind about letting people continue working from home (but culture!), and calling out the owner for hiring his daughter and promoting her to a top position after laying off 30 people over the past year.

They also addressed how so many people were worried due to the number of departures so far this year (to companies that would let them work from home) by saying that they knew stuff like that would happen based on studies they had seen. But I guess when your mind is made up about making people come back to the office, why try to stop the hemorrhaging of employees who've been here up to a decade or more?

Ducking lol at the corporate score.

They don't care at all. Incredible.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm putting so much info about projects and more in a CRM.
Once a month, management expects an "executive summary" of two pages highlighting the hot stuff, big projects, breakthoughs, possible strategic needs from other divisions for getting a customer's business, whatever is BIG.

Today was the third month in a row (it has happened a few times in the past, like once a year or whatever) that I'm asked to by the manager that gets these summaries about information that is very clearly in the short reports I submit monthly, from the very same month they ask. They are thus not being read (anymore? ever?) and I'm wasting my time writing them, where I could instead be selling more poo poo and make more money. Or rub one off WFH, whatever floats my boat.
I have made it clear that I will not submit these useless reports anymore OR will refer to them instead of spelling out the answer.

This makes me an rear end in a top hat apparently.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Spies from other companies will often join your daily status update teleconference/videoconference so make sure to ALWAYS set the option that plays a beep and the person's name when they join.

can they attend in my place

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
When I suspected that no-one was reading my 4-slide monthly reports to just below C-level at a previous job, I started replacing the only link in the report (to a "key" dashboard I'd been asked to urgently!!! set up) with a Rick roll link.

A year later when I switched jobs I hadn't heard a peep. For all I know my replacement is still sending it out 5 years on.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

GI_Clutch posted:

This sounds exactly like the last place I used to work, even down to the hiring of the owner's daughter. It's worrying how prevalent this poo poo is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Mzuri posted:

When I suspected that no-one was reading my 4-slide monthly reports to just below C-level at a previous job, I started replacing the only link in the report (to a "key" dashboard I'd been asked to urgently!!! set up) with a Rick roll link.

A year later when I switched jobs I hadn't heard a peep. For all I know my replacement is still sending it out 5 years on.

Years ago I was a delivery driver/warehouse worker for a home health company. We had to fill out these extensive, detailed self-evaluations every year and then everyone in the warehouse got 3% raise anyway. The third year I was there I put in my evaluation statements like "I am the greatest delivery driver this company has ever seen" and "the whole department would collapse without me" and the like.

Not a peep from management and the customary 3% raise. Did the same thing the 4th year I was there for the same effect.

That being said, getting paid the same and getting the same raises as an actual illiterate adult made me go back to school at 29 years old to better myself.