Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m getting secondhand embarrassment from those shipping deets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

skipdogg posted:

That's hilarious. UPS driver is going to love you.

FWIW, LowesDepot carries all those moving supplies at pretty close to those prices. Just in case you find yourself needed more of a certain kind of box.

Yeah we looked at those and will go to them for any extra traditional boxes, but UHauls was cheaper overall and had more specialty boxes (and gently caress Lowe's prices for specialty boxes holy poo poo - HD was better though).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I feel like you should put a note on your door: "UPS - I'M SORRY - I ORDERED ONE (1) 'PACKING SET' NOT 126 BOXES" or something to that end.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Lol. So I ordered that UHaul "3 Bedroom House Box Pack" the other day. Lots of boxes, supplies etc. Our local UHaul places are shitholes so I wanted to order online for delivery instead of picking it up (and it was free shipping!)

I expected it to be shipped as like... maybe one unit or several small ones?

I just got the shipping email with ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX different tracking numbers.

I hope they packed each box in a box.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You need to set up a camera recording your poor UPS driver scanning all of those bar codes.

This also seems on par with UHaul's "gently caress the worker" mentality. Took 40 minutes to pick up a trailer the other day, not because anyone was slacking or the line was long, but just because the whole place only had one employee busting his rear end getting one person signed up for storage, a trailer booked out to me, and propane refills for the people behind me in line.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I feel like you should put a note on your door: "UPS - I'M SORRY - I ORDERED ONE (1) 'PACKING SET' NOT 126 BOXES" or something to that end.

Prediction: it's 126 packing sets, the entire amount of orders for that day/week and they're shipping everyone's to BonoMan.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

H110Hawk posted:

Oh he's gonna get some straight up cash. I give him some every Christmas, but he's getting some in June this year.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You need to set up a camera recording your poor UPS driver scanning all of those bar codes.

I have a Nest Hello and several outdoor security cams. I'll post if anything worthy happens.

Motronic posted:

Prediction: it's 126 packing sets, the entire amount of orders for that day/week and they're shipping everyone's to BonoMan.

Ha I ordered something from Meh.com some years ago - and it was an April 1st order. As a gag they sent me a palate of 1500 "hubmen" USB hubs

It's these (but green)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 16, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^ lmao, amazing

Qwijib0 posted:

The last time I bought some specialty boxes from Uhaul (beer shippers), they sent these 3 boxes with styrofoam inserts that couldn't have weighed more like 2lbs in total inside a box 8ft long with approx. 9000 yards of crumpled up craft paper as padding. I spent forever rolling up all that paper and still use it for packing things half a decade later.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BonoMan posted:

Oh he's gonna get some straight up cash. I give him some every Christmas, but he's getting some in June this year.

I have a Nest Hello and several outdoor security cams. I'll post if anything worthy happens.

Ha I ordered something from Meh.com some years ago - and it was an April 1st order. As a gag they sent me a palate of 1500 "hubmen" USB hubs

It's these (but green)

Really? :psyduck: what the hell did you do with them?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Really? :psyduck: what the hell did you do with them?

Gave away several boxes to schools and other folks that had a charitable use for them. Then sold off the remaining... 85%? to someone for $100. I think that person had an idea to flip them but they were USB 2.0 haha

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Qwijib0 posted:

It's just going to be each box built out and shipped empty. UPS truck will just empty it by opening door, backing up really fast them slamming breaks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm glad to see my recent Uhaul experience was not unique. Why the gently caress do they need so much paperwork just to rent me a truck for the afternoon? I can rent a Lamborghini with just a DL and a valid credit card.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looking to replace a bunch of smoke detectors soon. All of the ones in the house are BRK (SC)9120Bs, and I'd like to replace them with models that don't need the backup battery changed ever because my parents will never actually replace the batteries whenever I move out. Looking around, it sounds like mixing photoelectric and ionization detectors or getting dual sensor detectors is recommended, but nobody makes a dual sensor, wired, and 10yr battery backup model--removing any single one of those criteria opens models from multiple manufacturers.

Right now I'm thinking of just getting some combination of BRK 9120LBL/7010LBLs since there would presumably be no changes to the wiring, and it's not like there were dual sensor detectors here in the first place. If I get mixed detectors, does it matter where they go? The current detectors are on either side of each of the 2 bedrooms' doors and between the kitchen and laundry, with two of the main levels' being CO/Smoke combos.

If dual sensor is worthwhile, is there anything wrong with just tucking the disconnected wires back into the ceiling?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

If dual sensor is worthwhile, is there anything wrong with just tucking the disconnected wires back into the ceiling?

They make lifetime battery hardwired models. Don't tuck the wires.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Solar install booked for next Tuesday and it should be turned on before July and I can see how “good” an investment it is.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

H110Hawk posted:

They make lifetime battery hardwired models. Don't tuck the wires.

They make lifetime battery wired models with one sensor type unless i'm missing something. 9120lbl and 7010lbl are examples of this, but if you want dual sensor you either need to replace batteries or give up hardwired at least from what I've found on BRK and kiddes sites

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

BonoMan posted:

It's just going to be each box built out and shipped empty. UPS truck will just empty it by opening door, backing up really fast them slamming breaks.

Ha ha and it stacks into a sphinx

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BonoMan posted:

Lol. So I ordered that UHaul "3 Bedroom House Box Pack" the other day. Lots of boxes, supplies etc. Our local UHaul places are shitholes so I wanted to order online for delivery instead of picking it up (and it was free shipping!)

I expected it to be shipped as like... maybe one unit or several small ones?

I just got the shipping email with ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX different tracking numbers.

Delivery driver is gonna be so angry they'll geyser blood from every body orifice

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Any fun projects I can do with leftover composite decking? I finished resurfacing my deck and I have like 3 full 16 foot boards and bunch of scrap (anywhere from 2 to 6 feet) because i didn't calculate the square footage right.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ErikTheRed posted:

Any fun projects I can do with leftover composite decking? I finished resurfacing my deck and I have like 3 full 16 foot boards and bunch of scrap (anywhere from 2 to 6 feet) because i didn't calculate the square footage right.

Adirondack chairs, or some kind of patio/deck furniture ala https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/anas-adirondack-chair

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

emocrat posted:

I am in the early stages of refinishing a basement room that was originally "finished" in about 1972ish. Exterior walls are block and they installed furring strips and then put wood paneling on that. When they installed electrical outlets, instead of surface mounts or anything, they just used a hammer to smash out a hole in the block wall and recessed the box in that. See pic.

So, how would you guys recommend I fix the wall here? Keep in mind this is below grade so I cannot access the opposite side of the wall. I have 2 thoughts so far. First would be to use rigid foam board and cut a piece to fit, caulk it in and use minimal expanding foam to fill gaps. Second would be to glue/caulk/affix a metal mesh to the inside of hole and when that is firm, fill it with mortar or cement.

So, any suggestions?

Edit: there are going to be 5 of these to deal with.

I would shove something in the block, such as styrofoam. Not paper or wood...something nothing will eat.

You could also just use expanding foam. No reason is has to be concrete. Your biggest problem will be figuring out how much for good fill, and stopping short of having a giant wad shooting out of your wall.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I don't really think HCH has a deals thread, but the 24k BTU MR Cool is on sale at Costco https://www.costco.com/mrcool-diy-24k-btu-mini-split-air-conditioner-and-heat-pump-with-wi-fi-smart-controller.product.100573056.html for 1500

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it would be a hilariously bad idea but that's almost cheap enough to make me want to install one in my garage. Just being able to have it be 85-90 in there in the summer instead of absolutely roasting would be nice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize it would be a hilariously bad idea but that's almost cheap enough to make me want to install one in my garage. Just being able to have it be 85-90 in there in the summer instead of absolutely roasting would be nice.

2tons for just your garage? Sounds perfect.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I put the 12k 120v one in my garage, and it's great. I'm not in Arizona and my garage is insulated, but my car runs fairly hot, and it does a great job cooling it off after I park inside. I think the fan is super quiet, it's really nice for a work space. If you have your breaker nearby you wouldn't need a ton of wire either (like I did!). I found it pretty easy to do, especially after watching a handful of videos.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

PainterofCrap posted:

I would shove something in the block, such as styrofoam. Not paper or wood...something nothing will eat.

You could also just use expanding foam. No reason is has to be concrete. Your biggest problem will be figuring out how much for good fill, and stopping short of having a giant wad shooting out of your wall.

Yeah that is basically my instinct as well. Cut a piece if XPS board to fit, seal it in. It is likely the route I will go.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you really want to take a flyer on setting one up in the garage, my Facebook marketplace has tons of listings for 12, 18, and even 24K units for suspiciously cheap. Like a 12K unit for 400 bucks, or a 2 ton WiFi enabled for 850, and the dudes will install it for you for 200 bucks plus materials. I mean the boxes and instructions are in Spanish, but air conditioners are relatively simple devices.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hell yeah - I currently do not have a stove to use! :D

Was getting gas stove replaced as ours had a defect - gas guy came out and said the clearance is not to code. Refused to install the new one. Said the builder should have known it needs to be 18" of clearance instead there was 17 1/4". He also didn't install the anti-tip device and there was supposed to be a chain so you can't pull the device off too far. He said it would never pass inspection.

So either we go electric or he has to fix these cabinets.

Fake Edit: As I was writing this my builder called and said the appliance place is full of poo poo, that this passed and he'll install it himself. He's gonna take the stove as comp. :3: Sounds like chaos!

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Vintersorg posted:

Hell yeah - I currently do not have a stove to use! :D

Was getting gas stove replaced as ours had a defect - gas guy came out and said the clearance is not to code. Refused to install the new one. Said the builder should have known it needs to be 18" of clearance instead there was 17 1/4". He also didn't install the anti-tip device and there was supposed to be a chain so you can't pull the device off too far. He said it would never pass inspection.

So either we go electric or he has to fix these cabinets.

Fake Edit: As I was writing this my builder called and said the appliance place is full of poo poo, that this passed and he'll install it himself. He's gonna take the stove as comp. :3: Sounds like chaos!

Sounds like you may get it in regardless, but im just gonna slide and throw out a plug for electric induction. I had a really nice gas range at my first house and it was great, when we moved the new house had a standard electric that we hated. We considered plumbing gas to the kitchen (the house had natural gas but only in the far opposite corner of the building), but decided to go induction instead.

Absolutely no regrets. Induction solved basically every issue I had cooking with electricity while also making cleanup a breeze and removing any worry about my kid leaving the gas on or anything. Nice to use less petroleum products also. Its been nothing but upside for us.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He came by and got this new one installed - he called the gas company that passed it and said this other guy was counting up to the under-counter valance and not the cabinet itself.

He probably won't take it himself though and said he was just angry. So no drama bombs there. :3:

Induction would be cool though - I think down the road we'll see how we like gas and decide from there. Less clean up!

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 17, 2021

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anybody got a company they like or absolutely hate for vacant home insurance? It'll be empty for a couple months and I don't think USAA offers it so want to have an alternative in case they cancel our policy when I call.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Might be worth checking with USAA first, it might be one of those things they don't do for lowly dependents like myself but will do for active duty if the vacancy is due to orders taking you elsewhere. Or even if they don't write the policy themselves they will go through other underwriters for some stuff. Years back when FL got hit with a shitload of storms USAA stopped writing new policies in the state bit still would do them for active duty members. When I got renters insurance through USAA several years ago I was able to get the policy through USAA but it was written by someone else. I made my payments to USAA and dealt with their customer service though which is always nice and convenient since I use them for everything I can.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Final Blog Entry posted:

Might be worth checking with USAA first, it might be one of those things they don't do for lowly dependents like myself but will do for active duty if the vacancy is due to orders taking you elsewhere. Or even if they don't write the policy themselves they will go through other underwriters for some stuff. Years back when FL got hit with a shitload of storms USAA stopped writing new policies in the state bit still would do them for active duty members. When I got renters insurance through USAA several years ago I was able to get the policy through USAA but it was written by someone else. I made my payments to USAA and dealt with their customer service though which is always nice and convenient since I use them for everything I can.

Turns out if it's less than 90 days (in my state at least) they don't require any changes to policy, according to the rep on the phone. They just recommended shutting off water, draining pipes/appliances, and having someone check on it every couple weeks.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

BonerGhost posted:

Turns out if it's less than 90 days (in my state at least) they don't require any changes to policy, according to the rep on the phone. They just recommended shutting off water, draining pipes/appliances, and having someone check on it every couple weeks.

There are a lot of monitoring devices depending on how worried you are and how much you want to spend. Depending on how close together everything you'd be worried about is, a single webcam could give a lot of peace of mind. My parents split time between two townhouses, only one of which I've seen (thx COVID). They have a moisture sensor next to the sump pump hooked up to some sort of controller that turns on a webcam and sends a notification to my dad's phone if the sensor goes off. Obviously he can't actively do anything, but still an immediate notification to call a neighbor if something goes wrong.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lumber pricing may have finally peaked

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1405625288336285704

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
We're doing a kitchen remodel in a few months. The kitchen floor is currently oak, as is the whole first floor. But the finish in the kitchen is trashed and I don't want to pay to refinish the wood while I still own a dog. We've got a nice tile picked out. Are we going to regret with tile for the kitchen floor? Anyone here done that and wish they hadn't? Some people say it's hard on your feet, but come on. It's waterproof! Wood isn't.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My current place has tile in all the common areas, living room, kitchen, bathrooms etc… it is fine on bare feet but I wear slippers anyway.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Vim Fuego posted:

We're doing a kitchen remodel in a few months. The kitchen floor is currently oak, as is the whole first floor. But the finish in the kitchen is trashed and I don't want to pay to refinish the wood while I still own a dog. We've got a nice tile picked out. Are we going to regret with tile for the kitchen floor? Anyone here done that and wish they hadn't? Some people say it's hard on your feet, but come on. It's waterproof! Wood isn't.

Is it cold in winter? If so look in to Ditra Heat. I'm in great lakes region and if tile wasn't heated it would be hell in winter. Also I'm barefoot indoors always.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I know it's a cheaper option but we just swapped the kitchen tile out for LVP. I think the tile looks better but the LVP feels a little less cold and hard while also being water proof and handling the dogs well.

^^ I don't know the specifics of Ditra, but we had a water manifold heating system under our tile in Germany and it was amazing. There's a lot i wish I could get in a house here but that's one of the tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. I'm planning on heating the tile. We have a circuit for electrical under tile heating, so I might go that route. But the house has hydronic heat and the ceiling under the kitchen floor isn't finished, so I might have that done. Depends on the cost/feasibility with everything else that is already plumbed through the laundry room ceiling